PDA

View Full Version : Davis Cup Rd 1, Australia v Austria, Mar 2005

AndyP
3rd February 2005, 09:13 AM
I was just having a look of the rankings of the Australian male tennis players post-Oz Open, and as a whole it is pretty woeful. Especially considering that they won the Davis Cup a couple of years ago.

After Lleyton at number 2, there is noone else in the top 100.
Arthurs is at 109, followed by Peter Luczak at 150odd, and the Poo has dropped to 203. :shock:
Todd Reid hasn't stepped up as expected either, which is disappointing.

Austria will most likely pick Melzer and Koubek, ranked 34 and 68, to play singles, so our second singles spot is a real concern.

Unless Poo does something special, which isn't likely, plus he probably hasn't given his groin the rest that it needs to recover in time ;) , then Arthurs will have to take the second singles spot.
Besides beating Kafelnikov and Safin in his first ever rubber on the potato field in Brisbane, his results are nothing special. Although his record is 8-3 in singles, the opponents haven't been very strong.
He may struggle against both of the Austrians, but his advantage is that it will be played on grass.

If may come down to the doubles.

If Arthurs is playing two singles matches, then they may need another partner for Woodbridge in the Doubles. Paul Hanley (don't know much about him) is ranked 12th in the doubles, so he might get a shot. But I reckon they should chuck Scotty Draper in there. After all, he has just come off a mixed doubles grand slam win. Lleyton is an option as well, but you'd probably want to avoid having him play three straight days.

Aussie men's tennis is looking pretty shyte though. If Lleyton gets injured, the Davis Cup team is a mess.
Bring back Pat, I say. :)

Hopefully Lleyton's good performance in the Oz Open, will help Australia get some men back at the top of tennis.

AndyP
4th March 2005, 12:29 PM
A couple of things have happened since I posted this highly popular thread.

The Poo finally won a match
and
Arthurs won his first title last week and has moved to ranking 63.
and
The Poo has got engaged after his 5 month romance with this 18 year old. Hard to see it lasting too long.

Hewitt d Peya 6-2 6-3 6-4
Australia 1-0 Austria

If Arthurs can win his singles, they'll romp it in.