PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a home putting green?

symowallo
20th September 2009, 06:32 PM
Apologies if anyone has already posted information about this - 5 to 10 minutes of searching and I couldn't find much.

My backyard is very shaded through the cooler months. Last Spring (November) I dug up my backyard and put in Palmetto Buffalo - it was kikuyu previously but I got sick of mowing (and it looked like cr*p to be honest). All was well through Summer and Autumn.

Anyway, short story is, my yard doesn't get enough sun in the winter and now about half of the palmetto has died. So I got to thinking about maybe putting in an artificial putting green in the shaded area because my 4 and 2 year old sons also love golf and it's a good way to spend time with them - they love hitting a few balls at the driving range. Oh, and my short game is pretty crappy so it wouldn't hurt.

So:

Who has done it?
How did you do it?
Did you use road base, compacted, followed by crusher dust or river sand?
Is it a similar exercise to paving?
What's a good artificial turf to use?

Dotty
20th September 2009, 06:56 PM
Just had to know the right search word ...

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12957&highlight=bunnings

And this has a couple of links to similar threads (2nd one is better).

I'm not sure whether it was posted on ozgolf, but I've also seen 10 min video building a permament one in the garden (probably on 'Better Homes and Gardens').

Edit. Googled this from BH&G ...
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/better-homes-gardens/11891/make-a-putting-green/

symowallo
20th September 2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah I've seen the BHG one, that's where I got the idea from. The video's gone now, and I was wanting to hear from those who have one or know someone who has one. Just for some tips, tricks etc. I'm going to do the job myself.

I'm looking at a permanent one. Thanks for the links.

Andrew
20th September 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a 15-foot by 6-foot nylon putting green; but I have never installed it permanently, although it could be. When I purchased it a few years ago, nylon was the best technology, but all the Australian distributors only stocked Polypropylene turf so I got it shipped over from America. I would suggest not getting shipped across from America because it cost a pretty penny.

Some of the Australian companies have DYI kits, which may be the best way to go.

razaar
20th September 2009, 09:32 PM
Watched professionals lay an atificial golf tee...not sure it is a job for the home handyman. The one I witnessed had 4 by 2 timber boarders, with the artificial grass laid on compacted sand and fine sand dusted into the turf. There is maintenance associated with these surfaces if outdoors. Weeds are a problem and the matt has to be swept frequently and redusted as required. That is for a flat surface, a contoured surface would be more of an issue. Hope this helps.

symowallo
23rd September 2009, 11:47 PM
I wonder if the artificial grass you can buy in Bunnings is any good? Anyone?

SeldomEagles
24th September 2009, 12:07 AM
Take a putter and a ball down pull some metres off the roll and give it a try. With the total lack of staff at most Bunnings you could get away with it. Although probably not on a Saturday or Sunday

Ferrins
24th September 2009, 08:47 AM
The serenity

parlyboy
24th September 2009, 12:55 PM
Buffalo is rubbish for a putting green.

Stick to Couch. Legend, Santa ana, Conquest or Grand prix.

Oh and probably need a cylinder mower...

parlyboy
24th September 2009, 12:56 PM
You can go bentgrass but you will have to many disease issues.

moree golfer
24th September 2009, 12:58 PM
I have also been toying with the idea of a synthetic green but haven't got past the planning stage. I have a useless area in front of my shed which currently has concrete pavers and white stone. Keep us informed if you do get it going symo.

symowallo
30th September 2009, 08:23 AM
I'm going to skip the natural grass path. My justification to the boss is that the grass will never grow in the shaded area of the backyard so I may as well put down artificial grass - oh and while I'm at it, make it a putting green... FOR THE KIDS of course!

I found the video on Better Homes and Gardens where Jason put in a home putting green using the artificial turf from Bunnings so I think I'll give that a go. Looks very similar to paving and I paved a largish area of my yard a couple of years ago so I know what's involved. Road base, wacker packer then crusher dust, wacker packer again, lay the grass, pin it down/stretch it out, then brush sand on top.

Landscape around it to help it blend in and that's pretty much it really! Big job but I don't think it'll be impossible. Home putting greens are huge in the US - huge variety of artificial grass available over there - they seem to be into nylon but it's not that easy to find it over here - looks like most cheaper artificial grass is polypropylene, which needs the sand on top to help it stand upright.

I now have my next home project! After the bathroom, laundry, kid's bedroom storage, paving, blah blah blah. With any luck I may be able to increase its priority to number 1 so I will run that up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes, so to speak!

moree golfer
30th September 2009, 08:45 AM
Keep us up to date with progress Symo as I am getting keener on converting my permanently shaded area into artificial turf. I'd be dead keen to see some pics of how it looks and any pitfalls/tips you can give us.

symowallo
30th September 2009, 10:13 AM
Hehehe, happy to be the crash test dummy!!!!

nickentguy
30th September 2009, 10:20 AM
I have just had an artifical putting surface layed. I had looked into it for 2 or 3 years and tried a few. The big thing is the base under the synthetic material. It took 2 guys, who just do this type of work, over 5 days to install an area of 7 m x 7m on easy access and already flat surface. A great deal of the time is spent on foundation and then filling the "grass" with sand. The result is great. It putts like a normal practice putting green with some slight and exaggerated slopes to be also a bit like a putt putt surface. From my info and experience there is only two companies I would consider Protech and South West Greens.

symowallo
30th September 2009, 10:29 AM
Looks great Nickentguy. What sort of grass did they use?

Looks like a great all round putting green for both serious practice and for just tooling around with mates.

BrisVegas
30th September 2009, 10:30 AM
nickentguy - your setup looks great.

zigwah
30th September 2009, 10:37 AM
Looks awsome

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2009, 11:48 AM
wow. how jealous am i?

nickentguy
30th September 2009, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure of the "grass". The fibres are quite long but are filled up with sand, although difficult to see this when looking at it. One other thing I did not mention was it has a soft underlay and is good for holding chip shots. I'm pretty stoked about it. I waited 9 years to complete this part of the landscaping and well worth the wait.

chappy1970
30th September 2009, 01:22 PM
If I may be so bold nicky; can you tell me how $$ (ballpark)

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2009, 01:29 PM
we were all wondering.

nickentguy
30th September 2009, 02:08 PM
ok .. the money question .. my wife has mentioned this every time I question the new pair of shoes she buys .. $9,000. A lot of dough .. I sort of justify it by saying its 1/3 the price of a pool, easier to maintain, gets alot more use by everyone (especially the neighbours - it is in front yard) and will add value to house when we sell.

chappy1970
30th September 2009, 02:15 PM
I have a front section of grass (weeds) that is almost entirely useless.
I mentioned to my wife that I would like to put in a synthetic putting green, she had no issue with it.

I may have to go down the DIY option however, I currently spend $2.5K on golf membership annually and don't get the chance to play that often.

The green you had put in Nicky looks awesome.

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2009, 02:19 PM
i was going to guess $9000, but thought i might be waaaay off. that's pretty good for something so sexy.

my wife is actually encouraging me to get one, once we have the money. i think it is because i am the world's lasiest landscaper.

BrisVegas
30th September 2009, 02:20 PM
ok .. the money question .. my wife has mentioned this every time I question the new pair of shoes she buys .. $9,000. A lot of dough .. I sort of justify it by saying its 1/3 the price of a pool, easier to maintain, gets alot more use by everyone (especially the neighbours - it is in front yard) and will add value to house when we sell.

$9k aint too bad really for a quality setup like that. Having just put in a pool, you probably got a bigger bang for your (1/4 to 1/5) buck.... I had ideas of putting a putting green in my back yard adjacent to the pool and deck area, but have simply ran out of money. One day!

Dotty
30th September 2009, 02:23 PM
Any precautions about care and maintenance? (I assume any dropped cigarette butts will melt the nylon/poly. in a big way.)

What about gum leaves? Food spills? Red wine? Stillettos? AndyLo's cats?

ps. I spent $20K paving around a pool (mainly reclaiming a sloping yard, like Nick). I've thought about turning the 20yo 7x4m pool into a putting green, if it ever becomes expensive to maintain.

nickentguy
30th September 2009, 02:47 PM
it was always meant as a social thing for friends family and sons mates.. so I do not get to firm but they respect it as much as I do. There is no food or drink on surface .. but those eating and drinking can sit around outside.

There is a bloody gum tree above and I have made a cover from shade cloth and roll it out.

I think it can be done quite well by someone with some skill (not me) as DIY. The thing I have tried to emphasis is the preparation. Be prepared to hire a compactor and a ride on unit. Take the time to bed all the base materials in.

There is quite a bit of info on the net. The other way is to buy off one of the supplier and have them guide you.

symowallo
30th September 2009, 03:48 PM
That's great information, thanks nickentguy.

I'm going to have a go at it myself probably early next year. Will post pics when I get started on it. I've hired plate compactors before, for paving, and the idea looks much the same.

I see the prep as being similar to putting down pavers with the one exception being the use of crusher dust for the second layer instead of river sand. The very bottom layer is road base which when compacted is very solid.

I figure that even if I screw it up I can just revert back to dirt/grass anyway.

WBennett
16th April 2012, 05:22 PM
I've managed to get my hands on a roll of artificial for a putting green. It will be about 3 x 6 or maybe longer depending on how it looks - I'm thinking 5 different cup positions... We are planning a collar around the edges. Grass cost is $1800... the other landscaping should be another 2 or 3k depending on how much soil etc will be removed - and then the backyard will be finished.

paulyboy
16th April 2012, 06:10 PM
I got a smallish one, don't really use it for practise but good when mates come round for beer and pizzas

BGH
19th April 2012, 09:28 AM
Rory has a pretty good one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/14013084

WBennett
20th July 2012, 12:59 PM
It was finally finished yesterday.

2 1.5m long chipping areas with a 9 metre long putting surface.
Still a little slow and soft for my liking so we are adding sand, but getting there...

I have not been home before dark to try it - this photo was taken in -6 this morning!

sms316
20th July 2012, 01:07 PM
Because those 100m walks to the course are a real pain?

dave1
20th July 2012, 03:37 PM
It was finally finished yesterday.

2 1.5m long chipping areas with a 9 metre long putting surface.
Still a little slow and soft for my liking so we are adding sand, but getting there...

I have not been home before dark to try it - this photo was taken in -6 this morning!

love your work!!

Dotty
20th July 2012, 05:00 PM
Does the contouring match the 7th at Federal? :)

Road trip.
After the thermometer hits double figures.
Before the putting green is covered in Barbie's cubby house and wading pool.

AndyP
20th July 2012, 07:00 PM
love your work!!Quoted for benno.

kingslayer33
20th July 2012, 08:39 PM
It was finally finished yesterday.2 1.5m long chipping areas with a 9 metre long putting surface.Still a little slow and soft for my liking so we are adding sand, but getting there...17936I have not been home before dark to try it - this photo was taken in -6 this morning! You live north somewhere don't you benno? Gungahlin or similar? If so you have a massive backyard compared to the houses I setout there :)Looks good though.

WBennett
20th July 2012, 11:17 PM
You b0$tard AP. Your time will come.

KS - Gungahlin, 580sm block, that's the 'fat side' that faces north.

Dottie - I've fixed my problems on the 7th green at Federal. I lose my ball in the trees left off the tee now instead. And the trampoline will be moved in there in a month or two :(

Captain Nemo
11th September 2013, 10:56 AM
Seeing as though our puppy has ****ing trashed my backyard, im toying with the idea of returfing, or just getting an artificial putting green put in instead of turf.
Anyone recently done or investigated the possibility of doing it (i wont be doing it myself, ill pay some ****er to do it properly).

popper81
11th September 2013, 11:12 AM
Seeing as though our puppy has ****ing trashed my backyard, im toying with the idea of returfing, or just getting an artificial putting green put in instead of turf.
Anyone recently done or investigated the possibility of doing it (i wont be doing it myself, ill pay some ****er to do it properly).

Get hold of Dicky... He was looking into this a bit with putt putt. I passed a mates name onto him. At least him can give you some good advice.

Captain Nemo
11th September 2013, 11:14 AM
Get hold of Dicky... He was looking into this a bit with putt putt. I passed a mates name onto him. At least him can give you some good advice.

He's a bit far away from me....
Can anyone who has his mob no flick it to me, please.

Badzyy
11th September 2013, 12:29 PM
Rory has a pretty good one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/14013084

Yeh a pretty good one indeed, would be AMAZING to have something half as good.

Captain Nemo
19th September 2013, 09:08 AM
Im in the final negotiation stages with 2 companies atm.
Very good chance ill have one in by end of October...

Johnny Canuck
19th September 2013, 09:13 AM
Im in the final negotiation stages with 2 companies atm.Very good chance ill have one in by end of October... When you finalise it, can you let me know some details of the deal? I have a backyard to finish.

Captain Nemo
19th September 2013, 09:43 AM
I can forward you the 3 companies im dealing with...
pm me an email addy.

markTHEblake
19th September 2013, 12:45 PM
Did you get a price from golfer69? He does them too and you can pay him with TAB tickets or donuts.

Captain Nemo
19th September 2013, 12:59 PM
Did you get a price from golfer69? He does them too and you can pay him with TAB tickets or donuts.
No.
Seems like he's banned for some stupid reason and no-one forwarded me his details.....:(
I dont bet with the TAB, or eat donuts.

mrbluu
19th September 2013, 01:14 PM
Im in the final negotiation stages with 2 companies atm.
Very good chance ill have one in by end of October...

I'm looking to trying it out!!!

Steve57
19th September 2013, 01:16 PM
No.
Seems like he's banned for some stupid reason and no-one forwarded me his details.....:(
I dont bet with the TAB, or eat donuts.

PM sent!

Captain Nemo
19th September 2013, 01:16 PM
Ta.

markTHEblake
19th September 2013, 02:00 PM
No.Seems like he's banned for some stupid reason and no-one forwarded me his details.....:(I dont bet with the TAB, or eat donuts.Google works!Www.rcgd.com.au

Captain Nemo
19th September 2013, 02:05 PM
Im sorted, thanks.

Captain Nemo
19th September 2013, 02:12 PM
Google works!Www.rcgd.com.au

I didnt know his full name, and Googling Dicky on work computer prob wouldnt be the best idea!
;)