PDA

View Full Version : Capricorn Resort Courses - Yeppoon

Hux
18th September 2009, 10:56 PM
Just home today from 4 days/5 games at Capricorn with 15 others from my work club.

The Championship course is fantastic and deserves its Top 20 position for public access courses. It is tight, long and interesting. And also quite pretty. The condition is also tops. The greens are damn hard though and you need to be a good A grader to stop the ball.

Pin positions can be just plain evil especially considering the length of the course. We played it 3 times and the resort course twice.
The two courses are quite different. Definitely a resort course vs championship course with triple cut rough and all of the above differentiating. Champ course is definitely the more interesting course to play and course management is everything.
The resort course has very generous fairways but postage stamp greens most with trick rolls either front to back or vice versa. So knowing which way the green slopes is essential if you want to hold the surface on an approach shot.

Both course very hard on the short game. The resort course smacks you hard for anything off the fairway or sometimes for not being positioned on the fairway.

The resort itself is showing its age, although clean and friendly staff. The golf courses are well worth the visit though. We are heading back next year.

PS The champ course is Loooong. Not just the holes where the shortest par 3 is @ 190m off the blue but between holes. Definitely not the place to walk, especially considering the number of joe blakes we saw. You don't want to be too tired to run.:mrgreen:

markTHEblake
18th September 2009, 11:48 PM
i was nowhere near the place.

which course is the old and the new?

Hux
19th September 2009, 12:57 PM
Mark (aka Joe) Blake....you been sunbaking? Only Blakes I saw were red bellied blacks :-)

Old Course is the resort, new is the Championship. Can't remember who the designers were but different for both courses.

I am surprised we didn't see tombstones on the course - they would have lost 20 surveyors and 100 machinery operators just building the place - dead set I was quivering poking along the edges of the fairways the Japanese musn't have gone within 20yards of the fairways edge :-)

razaar
19th September 2009, 01:32 PM
Played the Championship course from the white tees in under 2 hours late one afternoon by myself in a motorized cart. Pretty much had the whole course to myself. Picked up the cart just after 3.00 and returned it just before 5.00. Played out every hole too without losing any balls.

Hux
19th September 2009, 03:18 PM
Raz most of that is pure travel time - big distances between greens and next tee on some isn't there!

I'd say its a great location for an Ozgolf champs sometime.

razaar
19th September 2009, 04:45 PM
It would be great place for the champs Hux. I can just see members on the karaoke which is pretty popular for after entertainment at the pro-am. Now that I think of it a karaoke session at Pelican on the Saturday night would be a riot.

You are right about the distances between green and the next tee, makes the course too long to walk.

markTHEblake
19th September 2009, 07:59 PM
Mark (aka Joe) Blake....you been sunbaking? Only Blakes I saw were red bellied blacks :-):-)

A while back I was known as Joe Blake for so long most of my workmates didnt know even it wasnt my real name.

TheNuclearOne
20th September 2009, 09:59 PM
Good courses and well explained. The Resort course is faaaaar easier than the Champ one while still being a good contest. Even off the socials the Championship is challenging in ambrose let alone stroke.