PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Heineken Classic

Jarro
2nd February 2005, 02:23 PM
who do you like :?:

Mr Appleby gets my vote, although the Big Easy and Lonard shape as real contenders.

Is it just me or has this tournament sorta just crept up on us :smt017

terryand
2nd February 2005, 02:26 PM
who do you like :?:

Mr Appleby gets my vote, although the Big Easy and Lonard shape as real contenders.

Is it just me or has this tournament sorta just crept up on us :smt017

Nah Mate...I don't think it was "Jarro" penciled in :wink:

Pretty sure its been in ink for about a year now :wink:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
2nd February 2005, 02:46 PM
Is Pamps playing? He's been playing too well to miss out. He suffers from severe weekend-a-litis.

Jarro
2nd February 2005, 03:04 PM
Geezuz Jarro...go out on a limb why don't you with those tips. :roll:

i'm not a betting man mate :smt018

Bruce
2nd February 2005, 05:56 PM
Expect the weekend's play to be delayed.

Royal Melbourne is underwater right now.

BOM Melbourne Radar (http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.shtml)

Jarro
2nd February 2005, 09:09 PM
bugger :x

i was planning on watching a lot of it this weekend :(

bloody Melbourne weather :!:

cazandpaul
3rd February 2005, 06:50 AM
I think one of the older guys around Royal Melbourne - Monty :?:

Trung
3rd February 2005, 02:59 PM
LONARD is on top of the leaderboard :D

Fishman Dan
3rd February 2005, 03:08 PM
This Jason Day bloke some people are touting as The Next Big Thing in Aussie Golf is stone muthaless...

AndyP
4th February 2005, 01:17 PM
Mr Appleby gets my vote
-3 thru 36. Had a 67 today. Might need a big weekend.

This Jason Day bloke some people are touting as The Next Big Thing in Aussie Golf is stone muthaless...
Finished at +7.

Local boys in form..Stevie Bowditch or Kurty Barnes...both $126.
Barnes +6 thru 36. At least he beat Norman on +7.
Bowditch +1 for the first day.

I think one of the older guys around Royal Melbourne - Monty :?:
Monty -9 Clubhouse leader after the 2nd round. Shot the best round so far today, a 65.

Lonard has started the 2nd day well, -2 thru 2, -8 thru 20 for the tournament. Can he win another Aussie title? :shock:

Stenson, Nitties and Parry all finished the 2nd round at -7. Immelman -7 thru 19 holes.

Els is even thru 20.

Anyone watching it? Is it on Fox for the first couple of days, then free-to-air on the weekend?

amanda
4th February 2005, 01:50 PM
Anyone watching it? Is it on Fox for the first couple of days, then free-to-air on the weekend?
Yup - on Ch7 Sat & Sun.

3oneday
4th February 2005, 01:50 PM
Anyone watching it? Is it on Fox for the first couple of days, then free-to-air on the weekend?yes, that's the truth, coverage goes downhill tomorrow :P :lol: :lol:

AndyP
4th February 2005, 01:53 PM
Yup - on Ch7 Sat & Sun.
Did Ch7 show it last year as well, or was it Ch10? :smt017

Keza_G
4th February 2005, 08:54 PM
GO MONTY !!!!!!

Cheers

Keza

I'm a huge Monty fan !!

McMw
5th February 2005, 12:15 AM
nice comeback round by Els... :D

god...doesn't parry look FAT!!! :shock:

Golfgirl
5th February 2005, 05:06 PM
god...doesn't parry look FAT!!!
:shock:

Yep - was thinking the same thing.... still, he had a blitzer of a round.... :roll:

Onewood
5th February 2005, 06:07 PM
god...doesn't parry look FAT!!!
:shock:

Yep - was thinking the same thing.... still, he had a blitzer of a round.... :roll:

We of similar build, would call it "well built" in the one area :D

McMw
5th February 2005, 10:41 PM
YEH BABY!!!

O'Hern and Rumford right there!!!! :D

Fishman Dan
5th February 2005, 11:05 PM
Is it just me, or is Royal Melbourne a dull golf course? If you're half a golfer, you should be tearing this place apart. Els is proving this after a first round brain fart, and it's not a surprise to see great ball strikers like Paz and co up there aswell.

Holes 12-18 all par 4's? Boring!
Lonard dropped one into "World golf's toughest bunker" (according to Ogle :roll:) on the 14th? He made par for f**ks sake. Surely there are bunkers in world golf that basically means you're fighting for bogey.

Good to see the scoring, but i think there are more interesting courses in Australia, let alone the world. And FWIW, go Paz!!!

And yes, i am going to post this at ISG too. :twisted:

McMw
5th February 2005, 11:15 PM
Lonard dropped one into "World golf's toughest bunker" (according to Ogle :roll:) on the 14th? He made par for f**ks sake. Surely there are bunkers in world golf that basically means you're fighting for bogey.

the road hole bunker would have to be it...

Fishman Dan
5th February 2005, 11:29 PM

the road hole bunker would have to be it...

That's what popped into my mind mcmw. Mind you the difference being the Road Hole bunker is a 2nd shot, Lonard's bunker was off the tee. However my original statement still stands - there has to be a fairway bunker in world golf that means you should not make par.

McMw
5th February 2005, 11:32 PM
then it could any of the pot bunkers on the B Open roster.... :wink:

Trung
5th February 2005, 11:36 PM
Making par from a hard bunker shot is really about sinking that putt from 1->10m away 8)

Jarro
6th February 2005, 07:12 AM
i think the course is fantasic. love those short risk/reward par 4's 8) .. .and that 135 meter uphill par 3 is just amazing :shock:

Don't forget Fishy, you are hinging your argument on the comments of probably the WORST golf commentator in living memory :x

I think most of the time we forget that these guys are really good. i mean, put you and i in the same bunker and we'd make double bogey for sure :oops:

Fishman Dan
6th February 2005, 09:46 AM
Don't forget Fishy, you are hinging your argument on the comments of probably the WORST golf commentator in living memory :x

Those comments aside, i still think 7 par 4's to end a round is boring, and stand by the comment that any decent player should be tearing this course apart, especially with the greens being so receptive.

I just hope Heineken hasn't locked in this venue for the next 100 years.

McMw
6th February 2005, 11:28 AM
I don't mind if it's played at RM every year...
but...surely with 36 holes at their disposal, they COULD change the composite layout around.... :roll:

Jarro
6th February 2005, 02:00 PM
god...doesn't parry look FAT!!! :shock:

young Jarrod Lyle doesn't look like he's missed any feeds lately either :shock: .. or Peter O'Malley.

Jarro
6th February 2005, 06:47 PM
Congratulations to Craig Parry :smt023 what a great win.

My money was on O'Hern after his great second shot on the first play-off hole. True grit shown by Parry though to get up and down for a great par.

Eag's
6th February 2005, 07:41 PM
Yep you have to give it to Parry, he made the putts that counted =D>
Thought O'hern was due today, he had plenty of opportunities just could not hole a putt :(

Hope he can bounce back with a win real soon.

damoocow
6th February 2005, 09:21 PM
I generally love watching golf on TV but thought this was all very boring - I didn't even bother watching after the 1st play off hole as it was so dull - went outside and had a game of backyard cricket with my son instead [and he beat me!] - found out the result on the news later and
glad O'Hern didn't win- what was he doing there with a T shirt on ? - or was it a sun smart swimming shirt ? - if I went to my local course wearing a t shirt I wouldn't be allowed on - why wasn't he told to f&ck off and wear a collared shirt ?

damoocow

McMw
6th February 2005, 10:09 PM
congrats to parry....
watching the telecast this morning before my 1pm t off...
Els, O Hern and co were making mistakes from nowhere...Paz was hardly featuring (tho he was at the top of the leaderboard)...

Trust Lyle to choke coming back... :wink:

Onewood
6th February 2005, 10:34 PM
glad O'Hern didn't win- what was he doing there with a T shirt on ? - or was it a sun smart swimming shirt ? - if I went to my local course wearing a t shirt I wouldn't be allowed on - why wasn't he told to f&ck off and wear a collared shirt ?
damoocow

Coz TIGER wears them :wink:

Ona
7th February 2005, 12:09 AM
I too hate the t-shirt look, although singlets are A-OK at my track :?

sick of the playoffs, want to see someone in contention be the man and shoot low on a sunday in australia!

BrisVegas
7th February 2005, 09:51 AM

damoocow

Mock turtleneck shirts are here to stay damo. Get used to it. :roll:

Well, I'm disappointed Nick didn't win. Not that I'm a huge fan, but I think he is due for a win to get the monkey off his back. More than anything, I can't stand Parry. I just can't find anything about the guy (other than doggedness) I like. He even had a dig at O'Hearn when he was interviewed, saying something like he couldn't believe he missed the same putt 3 times. He could have been more gracious, in my opinion.

On a side note... Good work to Lyle after all he's been through. I have a couple of friends who've been through leukaemia and just to get through the chemo and sickness itself makes him a winner. Good on him! 8)

3oneday
7th February 2005, 10:09 AM
Trust Lyle to choke coming back... :wink:I'm sorry, even with a wink, is that really necessary :smt018 ??? A 23 year old, bogeys the last and feels like a winner, good on him I say =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Pete

Bruce
7th February 2005, 10:26 AM
I thought the finish was great. Every one in the last 2 groups was a chance as they headed up 17 and it became a test of nerve and pressure to determine the winner.

Props to Jarrod Lyle. Compare his cancer story to Dealt'a Good-rim's and see who the real hero is.

Props also to Ernie Els. Prepared to travel and play outside of the PGA bubble. It's not often he would bogey the 18th to drop out of contention.

I am spewing I didn't go, but I had the Optus guy out to replace my cable modem which had a power supply problem. Nice that he would come out on a Sunday arvo, but it ruined my plans to get to RM.

AndyP
7th February 2005, 10:33 AM
Props also to Ernie Els. Prepared to travel and play outside of the PGA bubble. It's not often he would bogey the 18th to drop out of contention.
Second time this year he has done that. Els bogeyed the 18th at the tournament that Appleby won in the States, when he needed a birdie.

Might be a bit harsh to start calling him a choker though.

McMw
7th February 2005, 10:48 AM
3oneday....

I'm just saying what everyone else would be thinking... :wink:

sure...he made some great putts (10 and 11)....but didn't he also hit some massive donalds on 2 and 10???

in only his 8th start as a pro..I would have expected nothing less, to be honest!!! 8)

Fishman Dan
7th February 2005, 10:50 AM
in only his 8th start as a pro..I would have expected nothing less, to be honest!!! 8)

Expect or deserve?

A top effort from the young bloke. I saw him at the NSW Open, he's got the game. Pity he hooked the ears off a few when it counted - if he has those shots back then he wins by 3.

jimandr
7th February 2005, 09:31 PM
Craig Parry has always been a role model of mine, and I've done all I can to assume his body shape. If I can lose a couple of inches in height, and develop an over-the-top cut swing while being able to hit it 250m, there's still hope for me.

He showed why he is a winner and O'Hern isn't in the playoff by being confident and positive. More power to him.

Having never played Royal Melbourne, I can't really comment on the course, but I know where Fishy's coming from. Finishing with all the 4's in a row can get a bit monotonous for TV followers.

On the other hand, it seems to always deliver great events, so I'm happy to see an event there every year.

On the subject of monotonous, why do they always play 18 over and over in playoffs? It became more interesting once they went over to 17.

McMw
8th February 2005, 01:18 AM
My Tribute.... :)

http://tgcimages.mirror-image.net/images/photogallery/38372.jpg