PDA

View Full Version : Luck

FlyBallDavo
15th September 2009, 08:19 AM
Whether it be good luck or bad luck- tell us some stories about incidents of luck on the golf course during your rounds.

Also, tell us if you believe you are a lucky golfer or an unlucky one.

I believe I am more unlucky than lucky. It would be interesting to see how many of you believe you are lucky golfers- I doubt too many......:(

Tex
15th September 2009, 08:59 AM
If I believed in luck on the golf course; I would be too scared to drive home!

Yossarian
15th September 2009, 09:28 AM
I sliced a tee shot on a par three out onto a highway.

Hit a container truck. Moonballed off the truck back onto the course.

I got up and down for one of the best pars ever.

markTHEblake
15th September 2009, 05:36 PM
Darwin GC 2nd, I hit the roof of a house, with a massive duck hook got it on the edge of the tiles and made it back to the fairway, and I called it before it happened.

Same course 12th i hit a tee shot straight off the toe and hit a water tower outside the golf course, made it back to the fairway. I remember making a double anyway and me mate telling me i deserved it !

But these were just insignificant comp rounds I dont recall anything freaky happening when it really mattered for something.

dc68
15th September 2009, 07:16 PM
15th at Pacific wicked slice hit a roof and finished just off front edge of the green and chipped in for an eagle.

razaar
15th September 2009, 08:39 PM
15th at Pacific wicked slice hit a roof and finished just off front edge of the green and chipped in for an eagle.
Another way to play that stupid hole.:smt038

WBennett
15th September 2009, 08:44 PM
My best rounds have involved provisional balls, where my original tee shot was 'lucky' to have stayed in play.

You don't want to waste good luck and fortunate bounces on bad rounds, so I try to ground them all together in a single round ;)

I reckon what goes around comes around.

I played the 3rd at Wagga late last year, pulled my tee shot into the trees OOB left, it bounced back in. Played my second, line drive left into the trees OOB (it would have ended out by 50m), bounced back in. Knocked the approach to 3 foot and made the birdie.

Karma is a bitch though - a few holes later I was plugged in bunkers twice in my last two holes for wipes.

Scottt
15th September 2009, 08:50 PM
My old man hooked into a train on a par five at Strathfield. The driver picked it up and threw it back onto the course. It came to rest on the front of the green. he two-putted for eagle :lol:

Generally, no, I don't think luck plays too much of a role in golf.

To quote Gary Player for the second time in as many days: "The harder I work, the luckier I get!"

jimandr
15th September 2009, 09:38 PM
By a strange coincidence, I was thinking about this very point not long ago, and developed a formula to assess my luck during the average round.

Obviously this is very subjective, but I decided that if your ball was going OOB and was saved, that was +2, +1 if saved from a penalty in another way, obviously -1 or 2 for the reverse, -1 to have to chip out from the trees sideways, +1 if you have a clear shot, zero if you have a possible recovery, but have to hit a big hook etc. On the green, a lip out was -1 but a lip-in was +1.

You can probably take it further for bad lies and good lies, bad and good bounces etc.

I tried it a couple of times, and found (somewhat to my surprise) that my rounds were pretty close to even.

Generally, you only remember the bad luck, but if you do an honest analysis, it probably evens itself out, particularly if you think of the many times we visit the rough and finish up with a great lie and the perfect angle.