PDA

View Full Version : Kristian's swing

KristianJ
12th September 2009, 08:12 PM
Finally got the chance to record my swing - apologies for the night time visual quality, but I hope you can see enough of what I'm doing. I'll try and get some day time vision tomorrow. 3 wood in hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbkbE6Z2Qvk

Can't seem to figure out why it won't embed properly...

zacdullard
12th September 2009, 08:21 PM
bbkbE6Z2Qvk
Looks like a nice swing to me.

KristianJ
12th September 2009, 08:34 PM
Cheers Zac...I clicked on the little Youtube button in the advanced post editor and pasted in the URL, but didn't want to work. And thanks for the comment - I'm not too unhappy with how it looks, even in the low light that I had to "work with".

Jarro
12th September 2009, 08:41 PM
Looks like you might be coming up and out of it a little early KJ ? :-k

But hey, i'm no swing guru ;)

ParMaster
12th September 2009, 08:52 PM
Looks like you got some distance on you.

If I was you I'd stand up a bit more upright to create a better posture.

KristianJ
12th September 2009, 09:03 PM
Looks like you got some distance on you.

If I was you I'd stand up a bit more upright to create a better posture.

Yeah, if anything that's what I'd like to improve the most, and not look so much like I'm slouching. I thought I bent my knees a little more than the vid indicates, so that's something I might think about tomorrow.

And jarro, staying down a bit longer through impact is something that I'm working on constantly, but there's the odd one where the head wants to come up before it should...

Jarro
12th September 2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, if anything that's what I'd like to improve the most, and not look so much like I'm slouching. I thought I bent my knees a little more than the vid indicates, so that's something I might think about tomorrow.

And jarro, staying down a bit longer through impact is something that I'm working on constantly, but there's the odd one where the head wants to come up before it should...

For sure mate, it's a hard habit to break ;)

Good luck with it all :)

virge666
18th September 2009, 02:47 PM
Get your right elbow in front of you right hip on the downswing.

Tis a good place to start.

dhills2
18th September 2009, 04:04 PM
Looks like you might be coming up and out of it a little early KJ ? :-k

But hey, i'm no swing guru ;)

My uneducated golf eyes see the same thing but that doesn't mean squat. My best advice... listen to virge, razaar etc! I concur with ParMaster in that the posture could be straightened out a fraction but it looks pretty good already - not sure if more knee flex is necessary but won't hurt to experiment I guess.

All in all it looks a pretty nice swing to me:smt038, particularly getting to the top. Then I think something happens in the transition - maybe you could get the gurus to have a look at a side view.

Just out of interest, what distance do you get with the big dog... you look like you give it some :D

KristianJ
18th September 2009, 06:20 PM
I'll be getting a side view soon...especialy so I can see where my right elbow is on the downswing :)

I'd probably say I average 250 after the ball's finished rolling with the driver, with the odd really sweet hit maybe getting 270. I've had one tee shot that went 280 without any tailwind, but the fairway was about 10m lower down where it landed than the tee.

KristianJ
15th May 2010, 03:37 PM
I remembered to take my point and shoot with me to the range today (which I found has a 60fps setting, which should be very beneficial) - got some side view video which I'll edit and upload tomorrow, plus some more from behind. Still not quite happy with how my spine angle looks, and my shoulder turn after impact could be more pronounced, but I'll leave the rest up to the viewing audience to decide.

KristianJ
16th May 2010, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILVH_wVv2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwTigxfe6SQ

Might take a little while for the videos to be ready to view. I can pick out a few quirks stand out that I think I could work on - will see if you guys can spot them. Also I think I'm beng a little harsh on my spine angle...looks better in the 2nd video than the earlier video.

dan
16th May 2010, 02:49 PM
Use some golf shoes and work on your balance. Your left foot does a left turn mid swing and you're finishing with a reverse C.

KristianJ
16th May 2010, 04:08 PM
I do wear my golf shoes most of the time at the range - just left them at home yesterday, that's all. The mats at this particular one aren't the most grippy, so that might help explain the left foot movement. I do try and turn my left foot forward at address though - just picked the wrong time to not do so here. :)

Bushka
17th May 2010, 10:16 AM
Nothing I can help you with, but there are elements of your swing i'd gladly steal :)

KristianJ
24th December 2011, 07:57 AM
Reading through Virge's thread and seeing the work Jono's done with Peppas has inspired me to do some work of my own. I'll try and get to the range today and see how much things have changed since I uploaded these couple of vids...then get to work from there. :)

Peppas
24th December 2011, 09:04 AM
Bringing back the KJ power fade?

KristianJ
24th December 2011, 09:07 AM
Hell no. Although there's no doubt that it is on call every time I head out for a round.

Peppas
24th December 2011, 09:11 AM
Hell no. Although there's no doubt that it is on call every time I head out for a round.

But it's what your namesake KJ Choi uses :)

Jono
24th December 2011, 11:46 AM
I've played with Kristian and he has a powerful swing. However, I think that he can make his swing more efficient.

Let me show you 2 gifs I made ...

Here is KJ vs DJ.

http://i.picasion.com/pic48/bbc537bb7b355e66f4d68fe2de3869e0.gif (http://picasion.com/)animated gif how to (http://picasion.com/)

http://i.picasion.com/pic48/6637d90adcc25494ed59e476ef629be5.gif (http://picasion.com/)animated gif how to (http://picasion.com/)

Your's is not a bad move but I don't think you are using your lower body efficiently and as a result you lose your posture through impact.

Once you have moved your left leg targetward at the start of the downswing, you keep your left knee flexed through impact and basically move the right hip and leg around it. As a result, your hips stall and you right elbow gets stuck behind you.

Looks at Dustin. He moves his left hip BEHIND him using his powerful posterior chain muscles (ie glutes, hams etc). His head goes down (common in long hitters) where as your head moves away from the ball. With the pelvis moving towards the ball, if you didn't move your head away, you'd fall forward!

Looks at Dustin's preimpact position and compare to yours.

See the difference? Left leg is straightening and his left glutes are pulling his left hip behind him. His right arm is externally rotated with the right elbow IN FRONT of him.

KristianJ
24th December 2011, 05:23 PM
Yep, looks pretty clear to me. :)

I was hoping to get some more up to date video (given that the vids above are 18 months old or so) today, but forgot to take my camera to the range with me.

My lower body movement is something I've been more conscious of since then, and I feel that I have come a little way when it comes to bracing my left leg at impact and getting my hips to do more work. But still a few bits and pieces that need work (getting good compression on the ball at impact and having my head not move away, for example).

I don't know what the groupings will be like on Tuesday at Long Reef, but I'll bring my camera and see if there's time to do some sort of videoing - either that, or we can get some dialogue going as the day goes.

Peppas
24th December 2011, 06:05 PM
KJ joining the Jono golf school for golfers who want to play golf and do other things good too :) Get ready buddy :)

KristianJ
24th December 2011, 07:40 PM
Hehe...maybe. More a case of me becoming a student of the golf swing and thinking a bit more about what goes into it. :)

KristianJ
1st January 2012, 12:23 PM
Been doing a little bit of swing analysis this morning and watching a fair few slow mo vids, especially of Charl Schwartzel. Lots to like in terms of the posture and overall efficiency in his movement.

Also found this super slow mo vid of DJ from side on...really does accentuate the position of that right elbow and how early he gets it there in front of him! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxGeYpCGIIo

Jono
2nd January 2012, 01:06 PM
It's not how early he does it. More important is how far into the downswing he does it. Love his swing.

virge666
3rd January 2012, 01:11 PM
It's not how early he does it. More important is how far into the downswing he does it. Love his swing.

not a fan mate - You have to be a Yoga master and power lifter to get that kind of lag and still be wide on the down swing.

Way easier ways to swing the club than his.

KristianJ
3rd January 2012, 05:02 PM
not a fan mate - You have to be a Yoga master and power lifter to get that kind of lag and still be wide on the down swing.

Yeah...no doubt that DJ does stuff that nobody could get close to.

Who out there should I be looking at? Question based on Jono's gifs and his choice of DJ instead of someone else who may have a similar move in that area of the downswing. Schwartzel's seems similar, hence why I mentioned him a few posts back.

Jono
3rd January 2012, 07:27 PM

Don't quite follow. His lag and his width is no more than say that of Davis Love III who is neither a yoga master or a power lifter. I think it has more to do with technique.

virge666
3rd January 2012, 10:45 PM
Don't quite follow. His lag and his width is no more than say that of Davis Love III who is neither a yoga master or a power lifter. I think it has more to do with technique.

Rubbish, look at the legs on both.

Totally different lower halfs

Jono
4th January 2012, 01:31 AM
Rubbish, look at the legs on both.

Totally different lower halfs

Yeah, but your original statement was "You have to be a Yoga master and power lifter to get that kind of lag and still be wide on the down swing."

Anyway, as to his leg action, I love it. If I was flexible enough, I'd try to copy his leg action. I'd still try to learn from the sequencing of his leg action though.

timah!
4th January 2012, 07:58 AM
There was an interesting article in golf digest a few months ago about DJ and his workouts. Worth a read if you can find it.

virge666
4th January 2012, 09:17 AM
Yeah, but your original statement was "You have to be a Yoga master and power lifter to get that kind of lag and still be wide on the down swing."

Exactly - his legs are strong enough to hold all that grunt coming down... and he is flexable enough to wrap the thing around his neck and from a great height. His left leg hardly moves !!!!!!!

That swing is a pure athletic move through the ball... you cannot teach nor copy it, just amaze at it.

KristianJ
7th January 2012, 03:44 PM
A couple of vids from today. Main things that sticks out for me is that I still can't get that right elbow where it should be, and I think I could look better at the finish, but I'm happier with my posture at address.

Didn't occur to me to work on my waggles though. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXfFFrrHU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSjMCeaXGoE

matty
8th January 2012, 05:42 PM
The vids just go black. Got audio though.

virge666
8th January 2012, 05:51 PM
KJ, What you working on ?

matty
8th January 2012, 06:50 PM
looks pretty good. too good for me to comment on.

Peppas
8th January 2012, 06:53 PM
I like the outfit. Very dashing.

KristianJ
8th January 2012, 08:40 PM
KJ, What you working on ?

In no particular order:

- Good impact position and taking a proper divot (which is probably easier to assess on grass). I hit too many thin shots with my irons - whether it's because I tend towards being a little flippy or coming up and out of it early I don't know, but I want to be a lot more consistent in getting good compression on the ball.
- Right elbow. Still not where it should be.
- Just using that lower body properly and coordinating everything as well as I can.

I like what's happening up until the transition, but just bits and pieces of the rest of it that look a little ragged.

A couple of lessons are in the pipeine for a month or 2's time.

KristianJ
5th March 2012, 05:34 PM
I'm going to get started reading Hogan's Five Fundamentals...mainly because I found this on Youtube and couldn't help but think how common sense it is (plus actually doing it at the range produced quite good results).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmPuzgBXEM

I wish there was a computer based form of the Fundamentals app that Virge had on his iPad and was looking through while we were at Sydney Airport pre-Champs last year.

Bushka
5th March 2012, 10:15 PM
Might have a look for that app sounds great. I like your tempo compact and consistent seem pretty balanced.

virge666
6th March 2012, 08:32 AM
In no particular order:

- Good impact position and taking a proper divot (which is probably easier to assess on grass). I hit too many thin shots with my irons - whether it's because I tend towards being a little flippy or coming up and out of it early I don't know, but I want to be a lot more consistent in getting good compression on the ball.
- Right elbow. Still not where it should be.
- Just using that lower body properly and coordinating everything as well as I can.

I like what's happening up until the transition, but just bits and pieces of the rest of it that look a little ragged.

A couple of lessons are in the pipeine for a month or 2's time.

Your swing looks good... you just dont have a low point in the right place... and you are not flippy at all. Your elbow is also fine...

Use your software to watch you swing in a continuous loop.

After about 6 or 7 views you will see the pattern of you hitting UP on the ball. That is the bad bit, you need to hit down on it. A lot more than you do. It is not from coming out of it, or anythign simple like that... it is just the condition of your swing.

If you move the ball back 2 inches, you will stripe everything.

Look up Foley's right foot back drill. and any of the STack and Tilt versions of it. Also hit some balls off a downhill lie and sidehill lie. You can maybe hit some fairway bunker 7 and 6 irons.

Pretty easy to sort out mate... there isnt much wrong there.

KristianJ
25th March 2012, 05:25 PM
I've been working at the range on ball position and getting the ball 2 inches back. It definitely has made a difference to the quality of my ball striking, although I still need to get in a comp round and put it to the test. Foley back foot drill is helping a little too, although I don't think I'm getting my back foot out enough to really feel the hip turn.

Plus I'm working on my finish and being a bit taller, which seems to be flowing through into how balanced I am in the follow through.

Some time this week I'll try and get some more video.

xe1
28th March 2012, 08:18 PM
In the first video what was the shot shape like to the next two shots?

KristianJ
28th March 2012, 08:23 PM
In the first video what was the shot shape like to the next two shots?

Which set of vids? Either way, I really can't remember, to be honest.

Generally though I find that I'm more of a natural drawer with my irons than fader.

xe1
29th March 2012, 07:49 PM
The last set of vid's.

KristianJ
6th July 2012, 01:02 PM
Jono, do you still happen to have that vid you took last Sunday? If you do, any chance of uploading it to Sendspace or another file sharing site so I can have a closer look at it?

There are a couple of things I'm keen to revisit, especially after looking at swings of other golfers whose right elbows are behind them a little (particularly Lee Westwood).

KristianJ
30th July 2013, 10:39 PM
Setting up a drawing board to go back to...

davepuppies
31st July 2013, 09:49 AM
Looking at your videos, and reading your comments, you hit a draw with your irons, but have less than ideal impact conditions, hence the moons balls?

What changes with your driver to hit a slice?

Hitting slightly up on the ball is a good thing with driver?

Is your upper body turning faster than your lower body?

virge666
31st July 2013, 11:07 AM
Looking at your videos, and reading your comments, you hit a draw with your irons, but have less than ideal impact conditions, hence the moons balls?

What changes with your driver to hit a slice?

Hitting slightly up on the ball is a good thing with driver?

Is your upper body turning faster than your lower body?

I watched this swing for a 4 and a bit hours on Sunday.

It is way too much from the inside and flipping. This gives him the high ball flight - the massive block right and the odd snap.

It is pure clubshaft path. Look up drills to get the club shaft in front of the body and use the body to release the clubhead.

if you get bored or you are in the Northern Beaches neighborhood.... happy to help.

matty
31st July 2013, 07:26 PM
Anyone having a hit at Narrabeen tomorrow night?

KristianJ
31st July 2013, 07:28 PM

I probably won't be able to get away from work early enough to make a trip over there worthwhile...

virge666
31st July 2013, 07:33 PM
I probably won't be able to get away from work early enough to make a trip over there worthwhile...

Yep - I will be there from about 5:30 ish ...

davepuppies
31st July 2013, 08:37 PM

God I miss that place!

virge666
31st July 2013, 09:32 PM
God I miss that place!

I reckon they miss your cash too

I will be there till 830 ish... If that helps

KristianJ
3rd August 2013, 06:05 PM
Doing a bit of reading and I think my left hand grip may be a bit too much in my palm as opposed to across the finger/palm joints.

I hit a few balls at the Rum Corps range this arvo with the grip adjusted slightly and it did seem to make a bit of difference in terms of the left to right movement. I couldn't really get a solid body turn though because I left my golf shoes at home and the shoes I had on have pretty slick soles.

KristianJ
24th February 2014, 10:50 PM
Planning to take my camera down to the Ridge on Sat and get some fresh DTL and side on vision of my swing.

I've been pondering some minor adjustments and trialling them with varying degrees of success, mainly to do with tempo. Odds are though that it'll look almost the same as my last set of vids...

mrbluu
24th February 2014, 11:20 PM
Planning to take my camera down to the Ridge on Sat and get some fresh DTL and side on vision of my swing.

I've been pondering some minor adjustments and trialling them with varying degrees of success, mainly to do with tempo. Odds are though that it'll look almost the same as my last set of vids...

I be keen on that as well.

KristianJ
27th February 2014, 07:48 PM
Actually, they may not look almost the same...

I came across a couple of interesting articles on GolfWRX relating to where a camera is set up whilst filming swings:

http://www.golfwrx.com/160889/use-the-proper-proper-camera-alignment-when-filming-your-swing/
http://www.golfwrx.com/164981/what-golfers-should-see-in-swing-videos-with-proper-camera-alignment/

After reading the articles and going back to my 2012 vids, I've noticed that on the DTL vid I gradually moved from being properly aligned related to the camera to looking more closed to the target. The side on vid looks okay, but camera too close to the ground (which would have been the case given that it was sitting on a chair).

KristianJ
18th December 2016, 09:48 AM
Working through some odds and ends, mainly to do with a little more upright posture...will try and get some DTL vid in the next little while.