PDA

View Full Version : GD: Johnny's Bag

McMw
22nd May 2004, 08:35 PM
He may have a "grip-it-and-rip-it" mindset on the tee, but John Daly spends more time getting his wedges and putter right than his driver. "I've always been a feel player," he says.

A peek inside Long John's bag reveals equipment with unique playing and cosmetic characteristics, particularly his putter. Daly's Dunlop Redneck Wilbur has a bigger head than a standard blade and boasts an extra 35 grams of weight. Add a lightweight graphite shaft and the result is a monstrous D-6 swingweight, about six points heavier than the average tour pro's club.

http://content-golf.live.advance.net/images/gw20040521/balltee.jpg

OK, a graphite shaft in a putter is one thing. But in the wedges, too? And a weak flex at that? Explains J.D.: "I use a very weak graphite shaft in my wedges to get a soft feel. Fuzzy Zoeller suggested I try it. It allows me to work the ball."

And sink it. Daly's Cleveland CG 10 wedges are stamped "Dr. Chipinski," a name a friend of Daly's coined after watching him regularly chip in while caddieing for him.

Daly's irons also boast a stamp on the back -- that of his beloved lion logo. In fact, Daly wouldn't put the Dunlop RG blades into play until the beast was on them. Daly prefers blades, saying his distance control is better and the chance of getting a flier is less.

Control also was a key in ball selection. Daly uses a 432-dimple Dunlop LoCo Pro with a lower trajectory. It has cost him a yard or two, but it reacts well on pitches, chips and putts -- feel triumphing over distance again.

http://content-golf.live.advance.net/images/gw20040521/dalybag.jpg

But as Daly has honed in on his ball, irons, wedges and putter, his woods remain in flux. After a stint with new Dunlop products, Daly used TaylorMade's r7 quad driver and V Steel 3-wood last week. The one constant is Penley's ETA triple-X, 75-gram graphite shafts.

Other Daly equipment oddities include his grips (midsize with two extra layers of two-way tape underneath), his golf balls -- number 3s only ("to remind me to get a third major title") and tees (printed with "grip it and rip it.")

But the first thing in the bag is six packs of cigarettes. "They go in before balls, tees, anything," said Daly. "I can't run out of smokes."

jaster
22nd May 2004, 08:37 PM
Nice post mate :smt023

Golfgirl
23rd May 2004, 09:34 AM
and I thought I had some peculiar habits about what I keep in my golf bag..... :shock: :lol:

AndyP
25th May 2004, 10:48 PM
Six packs of cigarettes. :shock:
I hope this is for the whole weekend.