PDA

View Full Version : Cost of cutting a putter?

WaldoJeffers
10th September 2009, 10:07 AM
Hey guys,

How much would it cost to cut a putter from 35" to 33" and to whom would I go to get it done?

Thanks

Chris32
10th September 2009, 10:16 AM
Gripping down 2" is free :)

WaldoJeffers
10th September 2009, 10:19 AM
lol you raise a fair point. This is for someone else though, they are adament it gets cut.

Chris32
10th September 2009, 10:28 AM
I have done it before and it does change the weight and balance from a feel point of view. Ended up going back to standard length

Dotty
10th September 2009, 10:29 AM
As per you same topic thread ....

If you don't want to keep the old grip, a traditional club pro would do it for the price of installing a new grip.

I've done a few DIY. Serated carving knife to remove the old grip, angle grinder (or hacksaw) to the desired length, and lately fitting a new grip myself (otherwise club pro / driving range).

WaldoJeffers
10th September 2009, 10:45 AM
Ok thanks,

So either way, you have to buy a new grip. And if a club pro/driving range guy can cut down the club for just the fee of a new grip, why would you want to do a DIY job on it?

oldmannoodles
10th September 2009, 11:49 AM
You don't have to buy a new grip. All you need is a coathanger and some metho or mineral spirits and you can remove the grip pretty easily. You can also use an air compressor and pvc piping.

That reminds me of Stephen Baldwin's "MacGuyver smoker" from Half-Baked - "Get me an avocado, an ice-pick and my snorkel". Classic stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fw81inTRl8&feature=related - 45 seconds in.

terrys
10th September 2009, 01:24 PM
I use either an air compressor or a V groove removal tool and some acetone to get the old grips off. I just took an inch off a putter for a friend. took me about 25 minutes.

oldmannoodles
10th September 2009, 01:34 PM
The coat hanger method is the same as the V Groove - but cheaper!

Dotty
10th September 2009, 04:00 PM
Ok thanks,

So either way, you have to buy a new grip. And if a club pro/driving range guy can cut down the club for just the fee of a new grip, why would you want to do a DIY job on it?
Good question.

The first time was bored proverbial-less during a long blackout, 60kph winds and being oncall. Also didn't know whether I want 1" or 2" off. (For safety, cut original grip off as a spiral, which I could temporarily tape back on to try it.)

Last couple of times because my club pro gets around to these things after member comps, lessons, equipment sales, committee, phone-calls, reps, etc. I didn't want to wait a couple of days.

WaldoJeffers
10th September 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh ok - I'm with you, that makes sense. Thanks guys! Good to know it's quite cheap :)

Scottt
10th September 2009, 08:18 PM
Last couple of times because my club pro gets around to these things after member comps, lessons, equipment sales, committee, phone-calls, reps, etc. I didn't want to wait a couple of days.

You make a good point. My old pro was the same, and as a result, I took a fair bit of repair/replace work elsewhere. Any job involved leaving the club there for three days.

I wonder how much work these guys do themselves out of by working that way?