PDA

View Full Version : basketball tips.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:17 PM
Ok I know a couple of you guys used to play bball. 8)

I need some tips for shooting. I suck.

Especially at laying up. Any hints? Or just practise?

rebjon
8th September 2009, 06:20 PM
We should go and shoot some hoops I use to play SBL...

adlo
8th September 2009, 06:24 PM
What age Rebjon and who for?

I would be in for some hoops. Go the mighty Tigers!

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah I'd be down for a masterclass sometime from the two of you.

And the moment my strength is my fouls per game. Franchise high atm :D

Scottt
8th September 2009, 06:27 PM
You Perth guys are strange... :lol:

Pieface
8th September 2009, 06:32 PM
Sweet Rebjon!

Unfortunately Yoss you have to practice. Missing lay-ups is like yipping on that 2' putt, you gotta be able to shut out the distractions and the mental stuff.

What position do you play Yoss? That affects what you should be practicing a lot. No point spending too much practice time bombing threes if you spend 90% of game time grinding under the basket.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:33 PM
We are, marching to a different drum scotty boy.

Got my first tech foul last night good times.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:34 PM
Sweet Rebjon!

Unfortunately Yoss you have to practice. Missing lay-ups is like yipping on that 2' putt, you gotta be able to shut out the distractions and the mental stuff.

What position do you play Yoss? That affects what you should be practicing a lot. No point spending too much practice time bombing threes if you spend 90% of game time grinding under the basket.

There are positions in bball?

Scottt
8th September 2009, 06:34 PM
I played one season of basketball, coming from a rugby background. Siffice to say, I fouled out a lot :lol:

rebjon
8th September 2009, 06:35 PM
WABL for Stirling..U18 and U23

Go Senators.....

Pieface
8th September 2009, 06:35 PM
There are positions in bball?

OK...how tall...what build are you? :razz:

Are you good/confident at dribbling...the ball

adlo
8th September 2009, 06:36 PM
I probably played against you. Played WABL for Willetton up to U20's.

rebjon
8th September 2009, 06:37 PM
He would probably be a point guard or small forward maybe...

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:38 PM
I played one season of basketball, coming from a rugby background. Siffice to say, I fouled out a lot :lol:

Me to, I tackled a guy the other night, my bad.

OK...how tall...what build are you? :razz:

Are you good/confident at dribbling...the ball

I'm 6 1, I would describe myself as cut, ripped, built. :lol:

I am kinda skinny...

They've got me cutting the key, pushing outside sometimes and then in quick when a shot is going up.

I have good hand eye so yes i can dribble the ball :)

adlo
8th September 2009, 06:38 PM
I would say he would be too unco to play a guard... no skill with dribbling etc.

Need to teach him to how to play at 4 or 5.

rebjon
8th September 2009, 06:39 PM
I probably played against you. Played WABL for Willetton up to U20's.

Cool....

I went though stages of playing Cricket and Indoor Soccer and not playing BBall to playing BBall all the time....

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:40 PM
I would say he would be too unco to play a guard... no skill with dribbling etc.

Need to teach him to how to play at 4 or 5.

Yeah when I get it in the key I don't feel entirely comfortable to get it and go if you know what I mean...

adlo
8th September 2009, 06:40 PM
I juggled bball and state volleyball then gave them both away after U20s.

adlo
8th September 2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah when I get it in the key I don't feel entirely comfortable to get it and go if you know what I mean...

That is what I mean. When you take a defensive rebound you get your elbows out to protect the ball and a guard should come get the ball from you, so all you have to do is wait and pass it.

rebjon
8th September 2009, 06:42 PM
Is he tall enough to play 5

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah I elbowed a guy pretty good the other night.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:43 PM
I am the tallest guy on the team rebjon :D

shavey
8th September 2009, 06:46 PM
I juggled bball and state volleyball then gave them both away after U20s.

Playing volleyball occupied a great part of my life. Mostly regional and club but unfortunately never state; obviously never good enough. But geez.. that is the ONE game I wish I could have gone further with.

What position did you play Adlo?

I was a centre blocker who sucked at the short ball but good with the 3 and backcourt.

adlo
8th September 2009, 06:49 PM
Playing volleyball occupied a great part of my life. Mostly regional and club but unfortunately never state; obviously never good enough. But geez.. that is the ONE game I wish I could have gone further with.

What position did you play Adlo?

I was a centre blocker who sucked at the short ball but good with the 3 and backcourt.

Played universal hitter for WA until I was 19. Trained with Aussie U23s for a few years too, but was too injury ridden to take it further. I miss playing it quite a bit.

rebjon
8th September 2009, 06:49 PM
I played vball when i was training at the academy 15 players aside :}

Pieface
8th September 2009, 06:51 PM
OK so probably playing that small forward/swing role depending on how you match up to the opposition.

If you've got a big motor make up for your lack of height by running like a mofo when playing on the bigger blokes.

Practice lots of field goal shooting from around the key way - they even mark this out conveniently enough - and free throw line. Get confident that you can punish the other team if they don't commit to defending you closely. I'm guessing that there are other guys on the team driving the bulk of the scoring. Make sure you can contribute to keeping your defender honest so ease the pressure on you main offensive guys.

*EDIT* just read you are the tallest. Unless you blokes run like the wind and can drop the treys all night...good luck!

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 07:08 PM
Already run like ****. It is only C grade social bball so I am actually one of the taller guys in the league.

I just gotta start making the baskets.

razaar
8th September 2009, 07:29 PM
Ok I know a couple of you guys used to play bball. 8)

I need some tips for shooting. I suck.

Especially at laying up. Any hints? Or just practise?
Keep your eyes on the spot on the back board no matter what. On all other shots not off the backboard try and hit the inside part of the back of the rim with a little back spin.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 07:30 PM
That makes sense, look at the spot and try and put the ball there?

adlo
8th September 2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, you need a heap of practice and learn to love using the back board. The square behind the rim is there to help you.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 07:32 PM
:shock:

There is a square? :lol:

Pieface
8th September 2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah he's 6'1" standing on the court missing lay-ups ;)

You'll just have to practice Yoss by the sounds of it. BB is just as much about feel as golf. Some days you can't miss and other days it seems like there is glad wrap over the ring.

Johnny Canuck
8th September 2009, 08:21 PM
Sounds like we could have a pretty solid WA side if we put one together.

I'm still playing A grade in Rockingham once a week. We've got a couple of championships under our belts in the past couple years.

Yoss, some good advice? Don't force the shot. If you've got a good open shot, take it. Don't try and make up for a miss or bad play by forcing something else.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah I do do that a bit, gotta keep passing it around. Passing it around.

adlo
8th September 2009, 11:08 PM
Sounds like we could have a pretty solid WA side if we put one together.

I'm still playing A grade in Rockingham once a week. We've got a couple of championships under our belts in the past couple years.

Agreed, Yoss could be the water boy.

simmsy
8th September 2009, 11:16 PM
good to see a fellow former Tiger Adlo, I knew there was some good about you.
Played until u/18 for Willo and also in the Scholarship team at Willetton High School, 73 dislocated shoulders later thought i should stop playing, that and i didn't grow past 5'2"

adlo
8th September 2009, 11:25 PM
How old are you old man, you might know my older bro?

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 11:30 PM
Adlo between all you unfit old men, i think you would need me to do some running.