PDA

View Full Version : What part of your game do you credit for your lowest scores?

razaar
8th September 2009, 05:57 PM
We all seem to remember our lowest scoring rounds, but can you remember what it was about your game that was key to the low score?
In my case my best scores were the result of full iron shots and putting.

Sydney Hacker
8th September 2009, 05:59 PM
Putting is a given, but I also put chipping up there as well.

At my level I am going to miss greens, but if my short game is up to scratch it makes the putts for an up and down much easier.

Scottt
8th September 2009, 06:03 PM
Driving and chipping, I find.

I hit 13 greens the other week and shot 78 (+6). Two weeks later I hit 10 greens and shot 75.

Good driving generally means missed greens are missed by less, and good chipping is more crucial to U&Ds than good putting IMO.

GIR and putting often get credit, but I think they are often a by-product of doing other things well.

rebjon
8th September 2009, 06:06 PM
Chipping and pitching it close...

My putting sucks so i have to rely on my short game....

Ferrins
8th September 2009, 06:09 PM
Wedge shots

adlo
8th September 2009, 06:11 PM
I would agree with Scottt. Keeping the ball in play off the tee and chipping it close.

Yossarian
8th September 2009, 06:12 PM
When I have scored well, which I have once, it was my driving and approach shots.

idgolfguy
8th September 2009, 06:20 PM
No one wins a round unless they have had a good putting round or felt that they putted well.

Pieface
8th September 2009, 06:26 PM
With my current game it is getting off the tee in good order and then playing a decent 2nd shot. I can't score well when my approach is my 4th shot on the par 4s. I will usually go a close miss, chip on and two putt for a triple.

The short stuff and putting can cost you if you stuff it up but you don't have a chance if you can't get there in regulation or regulation +1. I think once you have a solid longer game the short stuff is where you can improve from being a bogey player.

idgolfguy
8th September 2009, 06:40 PM
Putting - short game - approach - tee shot is in order of importance. Poor tee shots, in the short term, are resolved by using the longest club you can hit straight. To get to 11, you don't need to hit your driver straight.

Average par 72:
4 x Par 3 - average approach + short game (chip or pitch) + 1 putt
4 x Par 5 - iron tee shot + average approach + short game (chip or pitch) + 2 putts
3 x Par 4 - iron tee shot + average approach + short game (chip or pitch) + 1 putt
7 x Par 4 - average iron tee shot + average approach + short game (chip or pitch) + 2 putts.

It does work as that is how I got to 10.7 over Christmas this year from 18 the Christmas before.

To get below 10, in my opinion, these work-arounds don't work. Your putting and driving need to be solid.

Golfnut
8th September 2009, 06:41 PM
It has varied on decent rounds.....in the past I've struggled with my 2nd shot so I relied on close chipping/pitching and 1 & 2 putts for a good score. My last good round was a result of good approach shots/GIR and very accurate 1st putts.

Toolish
8th September 2009, 06:43 PM
Driver in play, and irons.

My good scores have never come from round where I have felt I putted well. It has always been driver in play, hit iron to 15-20 feet and 2 putt.

Days where I have putted will have generally been mid range scores which would have been disasters without help from the flat stick.

idgolfguy
8th September 2009, 06:45 PM
My best rounds have come when I don't realise I am playing well. Steadygolf with no streaky putts or chip-ins etc. It's surprising that a good round can sneak up on you as quietly as a bad round.

Scottt
8th September 2009, 06:49 PM
Driver in play, and irons.

My good scores have never come from round where I have felt I putted well. It has always been driver in play, hit iron to 15-20 feet and 2 putt.

Days where I have putted will have generally been mid range scores which would have been disasters without help from the flat stick.

Amen.

I think putting is crucial for pros (making long birdies) and choppers (not three jagging too much), but in the middle, I think it's about fairways first and then greens.

sms316
8th September 2009, 06:55 PM
I don't shoot good rounds.

markTHEblake
8th September 2009, 07:00 PM
We all seem to remember our lowest scoring rounds, but can you remember what it was about your game that was key to the low score?

Attitude.

my personal best had everything going well for the most part. The thing that sticks in my mind the most was making a couple of longish putts (6 foot or more) for up and down bogies. If i make double on those two holes I probably would have totally lost it.

Obviously you cant have a good score without putting well, thats a no brainer, but you can also have a bad score putting well, and you cant have a good score putting poorly.

just
8th September 2009, 07:02 PM
My best rounds have come when I am hitting my irons well and putting well.

parlyboy
8th September 2009, 07:02 PM
magic pencil...

just
8th September 2009, 07:04 PM
magic pencil...
Closely followed by a leather wedge....

Scottt
8th September 2009, 07:12 PM
Obviously you cant have a good score without putting well, thats a no brainer, but you can also have a bad score putting well, and you cant have a good score putting poorly.

I disagree. Just say I hit 14 fairways and 18 greens, all to four feet, and shoot even par?

Have I had a good score? Yes. Seven under my handicap.
Have I putted well? Hell no.

parlyboy
8th September 2009, 07:13 PM
Closely followed by a leather wedge....

and the old "extra ball in the pocket" trick.

Grunt
8th September 2009, 07:13 PM
the best part for me was the nice numbers ;)

Sydney Hacker
8th September 2009, 07:15 PM
I disagree. Just say I hit 14 fairways and 18 greens, all to four feet, and shoot even par?

Would you really consider that a good score if you have hit 18 shots to 4 feet ?

Scottt
8th September 2009, 07:17 PM
Even par woukld be my best ever score.

Would I consider 72 with 0 GIR good? yes, just the same as a 36-putt 72. If I hit all fairways and greens, it means I was doing a lot of things right!

Ferrins
8th September 2009, 07:25 PM
[quote=idgolfguy;365702]Putting - short game - approach - tee shot is in order of importance. Poor tee shots, in the short term, are resolved by using the longest club you can hit straight. To get to 11, you don't need to hit your driver straight.

Average par 72:
4 x Par 5 - iron tee shot + average approach + short game (chip or pitch) + 2 putts
3 x Par 4 - iron tee shot + average approach + short game (chip or pitch) + 1 putt
7 x Par 4 - average iron tee shot + average approach + short game (chip or pitch) + 2 putts.

YAWN
I agree with your Peter Thompson keep it in play approach to lower scoring. I do it one out of 10 rounds. What I enjoy is too go for broke every couple of rounds and try to play like Greg Norman. The other rounds is a mixture of gamble and safety. You are going to hit a wall with this ultra conservative approah. I enjoy my rounds in the 70's but the one's nearer the ton amuse me the most.

Driver Wedge Putter are my order of importance

WBennett
8th September 2009, 07:27 PM
Birdies. Shot 3 over 4 times, and each time made 3 birdies during the round.

How do you make birdies - hitting fairways and staying out of the shit off the tee. You don't make birdies from in the crap often.

So for me, in order of importance

1. Fairways off the tee
2. Putting
3. Chipping
4. The rest

Easy really

Sydney Hacker
8th September 2009, 07:27 PM
Even par woukld be my best ever score.

Would I consider 72 with 0 GIR good? yes, just the same as a 36-putt 72. If I hit all fairways and greens, it means I was doing a lot of things right!

I can understand your point, but if I hit everything to 4 feet and only walked off with par I would be left with a very hollow feeling of "if only".

parlyboy
8th September 2009, 07:30 PM
Birdies. Shot 3 over 4 times, and each time made 3 birdies during the round.

How do you make birdies - hitting fairways and staying out of the shit off the tee. You don't make birdies from in the crap often.

So for me, in order of importance

1. Fairways off the tee
2. Putting
3. Chipping
4. The rest

Easy really

Easy hey Benno....well Sunday should be interesting. Cored and Temp Greens at GLGC....awesome.:D

Bruce
8th September 2009, 07:55 PM
Mental.

When I am relaxed and purposeful is when I do my best scoring.

Scottt
8th September 2009, 08:19 PM
I can understand your point, but if I hit everything to 4 feet and only walked off with par I would be left with a very hollow feeling of "if only".

I would definitely walk off feeling a lot of "if only", I agree, but I'd still feel 72 was a good round, based on the scores I usually shoot.

4 feet is obviously a major example, but if I hit it to 10-15ft all day and didn't make any putts I can't say it would bother me too much.

Jarro
8th September 2009, 08:22 PM
Best part of my game when i shoot a low score (not very often) is the mental side ..... for some reason when i have a really good round, i'm totally unaware of my score, so i don't put any undue pressure on myself :)

That and the compulsory good chipping and putting ;)

markTHEblake
8th September 2009, 08:24 PM

i disagree, because thats so far beyond the capacity of your skill level, it is a ridiculous example.

for any golfer that can hit 18 greens, par is not a good score.

Johnny Canuck
8th September 2009, 08:27 PM
Definately chipping and putting, hands down for me.

Driving is overrated. When I shot my even par round a month ago, I hooked a tee shot about 50m, almost over a fence and almost had to buy two jugs, but managed to sneak by the ladies.

Short game saved my ass.

Scottt
8th September 2009, 08:29 PM
Mark,

With respect to you as a better golfer than I, I have hit 11 or more GIR more than five times so far this year.

18 is unlikely, but not "so far beyond the capacity of your skill level, it is a ridiculous example".

When was it you saw me play, again?

markTHEblake
8th September 2009, 08:45 PM
With respect to you as a better golfer than I, I have hit 11 or more GIR more than five times so far this year.

doesnt mean anything. the difference between hitting 11 greens and 18 is not the same 7 as comparing 4 greens to 11.

18 is unlikely, but not "so far beyond the capacity of your skill level, it is a ridiculous example".Yes it is a ridiculous example. ask any low marker how many times they have hit 18 greens or had a round with no bogies, and you are not even close to being a low marker.

simmsy
8th September 2009, 08:53 PM
No one wins a round unless they have had a good putting round or felt that they putted well.

check that idg -

i won at Hartfield a few weeks ago with 2x3jacks for a total of 36putts

that's not good putting but i didn't waste too many shots off the tee and when i'm playing well, from 120 in i am fairly solid.

Sydney Hacker
8th September 2009, 08:57 PM
I would definitely walk off feeling a lot of "if only", I agree, but I'd still feel 72 was a good round, based on the scores I usually shoot.

4 feet is obviously a major example, but if I hit it to 10-15ft all day and didn't make any putts I can't say it would bother me too much.

It's all relative but isn't it ? If you have the game or capability to hit every green to 4 foot you are already expecting to shoot under par on a normal course. Therefore you would not walk off the course happy.

If Tiger was to hit every green to 4 foot and walk off with par I think the scene would be akin to a nuclear bomb going off !

Dotty
8th September 2009, 09:02 PM
1. Avoid the damage. Straight driving.

2. Avoid the damage. Stay out of greenside bunkers and ponds.

3. Then capitalise on it with a good putt. (Or a well-weighted chip, if you have missed the green, on the safe side.)

Until this year, a lot of my low rounds/9s were with a 3 wood off the tee (after driver got spend time in the naughty boot). Often felt like I could put the same swing on every shot, esp. on par 3s, and the ball flew as expected.

Then the next week, I would try smash the cover off the ball with a 3 wood, with the inevitable results. :roll:

henno
8th September 2009, 09:12 PM
You know what Dotty, the only times I have ever dipped into the 30s for 9 holes is when I've hit it far shorter and kept to the middle.

Like jarro said, the score just creeps up on you as it almost feels "boring", for want of a better word.

Been a while since one of those round though. (In fact, I don't think I've even dipped into the 80's all year.)

Eag's
8th September 2009, 09:19 PM
Have to agree with Jarro as well, when I stay focused my scores reflect that. If I go out half arsed, it all turns to crap real quick.

shazza_rs
8th September 2009, 09:21 PM
Keeping the ball in the fairway off the tee does bugger all for me. I hit it so short that I'm still hitting long irons/woods into most Par 4's. In an average round I may miss 1 or 2 fairways but my scores vary greatly.

I would have to say the thing that saves my score is generally my game from 100m in and if I can avoid the greenside bunkers. It's a guaranteed 2 shot disadvantage to me if I go into a bunker.

Oldplayer
8th September 2009, 09:33 PM
My best scores always are a result of getting up and down when I miss greens in reg. The rest of my game dosen't vary too much, but getting up and down and not losing momentum by making bogies is the key for me. My recent best was 73 gross and i got up and down 5 out of 6 times.

BrisVegas
8th September 2009, 09:38 PM
sticking irons and wedges in close to make a few birdies. Pretty hard at my level to go without bogies, but the good scores can come when the birdies rack up. My best around Brookwater is 2 over (had a few sub-par rounds at easier courses) and that included 6-7 birdies.

Scottt
8th September 2009, 09:50 PM
doesnt mean anything. the difference between hitting 11 greens and 18 is not the same 7 as comparing 4 greens to 11.

You have never met me. You really don't know what you are talking about. I have already said 18 GIR is highly unlikely, but it is a moot point. But flame away.

It's all relative but isn't it ? If you have the game or capability to hit every green to 4 foot you are already expecting to shoot under par on a normal course. Therefore you would not walk off the course happy.

Absolutely, I wouldn't expect a golfer good enough to expect to hit it close repeatedly to be happy in that situation, but as a 7hcp, I would be. Disappointed with the flatstick, sure, putting with a sand wedge by the 14th, almost certainly, but give me an even par round and I won't quibble over the particulars!

idgolfguy
8th September 2009, 10:03 PM
[quote=idgolfguy;365702]Putting - short game - approach - tee shot is in order of importance. Poor tee shots, in the short term, are resolved by using the longest club you can hit straight. To get to 11, you don't need to hit your driver straight.

Average par 72:

YAWN
I agree with your Peter Thompson keep it in play approach to lower scoring. I do it one out of 10 rounds. What I enjoy is too go for broke every couple of rounds and try to play like Greg Norman. The other rounds is a mixture of gamble and safety. You are going to hit a wall with this ultra conservative approah. I enjoy my rounds in the 70's but the one's nearer the ton amuse me the most.

Driver Wedge Putter are my order of importance

It's a strategy. I'm a 'grip it and rip it' kind of guy - hence why I'm still on 13. I played against single figure players during pennants and won more than I lost. It was hard work being that disciplined.

My goal was to get to 12 by the end of last year and proved to myself that I could and went a little better just to prove a point to myself.

However, you are correct in that there is a barrier, where you need to improve other aspects of your game.

ParMaster
8th September 2009, 10:27 PM
For me I'd say my bunker play (which you don't really use that often) and my longer shots help my score. My short game isn't too shabby but I'd say the most benefitial aspect of the game to improve in would be chipping/putting. I need to work on my distance control in those departments.

markTHEblake
8th September 2009, 11:04 PM
You have never met me. You really don't know what you are talking about.

its you that does not know what you are talking about. You are not fooling anyone with this dribble. A golfer will not have a good score putting poorly, OBVIOUSLY a good score and putting well/poorly is going to be relative.

Bernhard Langer very early in his career shot two under par with 38 putts in his round. Do you reckon he thought he had a good score?

I have already said 18 GIR is highly unlikely, but it is a moot point. But flame away.You do not get to prove that you can have a good score putting poorly with an unrealistic example. Several others have told you that already.

Scottt
8th September 2009, 11:06 PM
Yawn, Mark. This is just more of the same self-important, no-one-knows-shit-but-me crap that you trade on.

I simply said if I hit 18 greens and had 36 putts I could not be disappointed. Realistic or not, and given you have never seen me swing a golf club, you're in no position to say what is and isn't within my abilities as a golfer.

ParMaster
8th September 2009, 11:07 PM
Wait. How is that possible? :oops:

ParMaster
8th September 2009, 11:08 PM
Scott he might have seen you swing it on youtube. ;)

Scottt
8th September 2009, 11:10 PM
:lol: You're not serious?

ParMaster
8th September 2009, 11:13 PM
Well I've seen your swing on youtube. So you never know. :)

Scottt
8th September 2009, 11:21 PM
And you would base a full appraisal of someone's game on seeing one slightly grainy DTL swing?

Dotty
9th September 2009, 06:15 AM
I love the irony.

The original post was asking about low scoring rounds, and how they actually happened.

But the fuss is made over a very imaginary round of missing 18 birdie putts from 4 feet.

senecio
9th September 2009, 07:00 AM
The secret for me is putting the first drive in the piss. Don't seem to care much after that and quite often go on to make a reasonable score.

AndyP
9th September 2009, 07:11 AM
This is just more of the same self-important, no-one-knows-shit-but-me crap that you trade on.Ha! They were my thoughts after I read post #3 of this thread, so I didn't bother with my opinion.

Scottt
9th September 2009, 07:25 AM
All I see there is my opinion, and you know what they say:

Opinions are like Andy P... or something like that :lol:

AndyP
9th September 2009, 07:28 AM
But Blake can't have his?

You're a funny man. But you can't help resorting to insults.

Scottt
9th September 2009, 07:35 AM
It was a joke, Mr P.

Blake opened both barrels up on me. If I posted what he did, but directed at another forum member, the flaming would have been epic. Anyway.

Penguins And Polarbears and all that...

LarryLong
9th September 2009, 07:39 AM
I can't putt and that never changes. I can't chip, and that never changes. My driving is generally quite good for a chopper, and that never changes.

Difference between good and bad rounds for me is always the second shot. If I save myself a few chips, I save myself quite a few shots. If I have a good day with the irons and manage to keep the short game under control I can have a day of complete banditry, but it doesn't happen very often.

3oneday
9th September 2009, 07:40 AM
Damn, does this mean I have to go back and actually read this thread ? Can someone give me a summary so I can save time please ???

Tongueboy
9th September 2009, 07:50 AM
chipping,putting and luck

3oneday
9th September 2009, 08:01 AM
Ok, I've read it now.

Scottt, you're being a wanker.

;)

I hit 4 to 7 greens a round these days, in fact that's all I used to hit when I played off 4 as well. My short game is now dodgy at best and my putting is hot and cold. I'm now off 7 heading toward 8.

Jarro
9th September 2009, 08:02 AM
Ok, I've read it now.

Scottt, you're being a wanker.

;)

I hit 4 to 7 greens a round these days, in fact that's all I used to hit when I played off 4 as well. My short game is now dodgy at best and my putting is hot and cold. I'm now off 7 heading toward 8.

Time for a forum name change then 'eh ?

hacker :p

3oneday
9th September 2009, 08:03 AM
Yeah, 14nextyear.

Jarro
9th September 2009, 08:07 AM
Yeah, 14nextyear.

You can't use that one, it's mine :oops:

Chris32
9th September 2009, 10:06 AM
All of my rounds when I have played better than my handicap I've just kept it in play off the tee and managed to hit wedge shots close enough from around the green to save a few pars. Add the odd birdie or chip in and that sums up alot of my better rounds

Webster
9th September 2009, 10:38 AM
The mental discpline that allows me to make fewer mistakes than usual, resulting in better scores (and a bit of luck along the way)

just
9th September 2009, 10:47 AM
I thought Stones gave the superior edge, Jack?

Scottt
9th September 2009, 04:38 PM
The mental discpline that allows me to make fewer mistakes than usual, resulting in better scores (and a bit of luck along the way)

I'm sure this is true of most 1-2 markers and better. The question is this: is it something you credit to conscious decisions you make, or a more subconscious thing?

If conscious, what sort of things are we talking about?

Webster
9th September 2009, 04:47 PM
Scottt, I believe it rings true for golfers of any ability who seek improvement in their games.

I'm talking about maintaining a level of mental discipline that avoids getting angry at bad shots/bad luck, and conversely getting too excited by good shots and birdies etc. Keeping things on a level pegging, focussing only on the next shot and having the discipline to put any poor shots or misfortune behind you. What's done cannot be changed so why focus on that aspect of the game? Not keeping score in your head or watching the card is another thing I focus on.

Golf is a simple game of execution - in order to give yourself the best chance of the best shot execution you must focus solely on the shot at hand and nothing else. The slate must be wiped clean before you execute the next shot. Just simple Yoda type stuff really.

Scottt
9th September 2009, 05:13 PM
Cool, thanks.

Ferrins
9th September 2009, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpFLKFOeHWg

markTHEblake
9th September 2009, 06:32 PM
Yawn, Mark. This is just more of the same self-important, no-one-knows-shit-but-me crap that you trade on.

actually i am trading on the-everyone-knows-the-same-shit-but-you-crap.

I simply said if I hit 18 greens and had 36 putts I could not be disappointed.

And you havent done it yet. So as you insist on being right give us a real world example of someone who had a good score combined with putting poorly, instead of a fantasy.

adlo
9th September 2009, 06:35 PM
Scottt, I believe it rings true for golfers of any ability who seek improvement in their games.

I'm talking about maintaining a level of mental discipline that avoids getting angry at bad shots/bad luck, and conversely getting too excited by good shots and birdies etc. Keeping things on a level pegging, focussing only on the next shot and having the discipline to put any poor shots or misfortune behind you. What's done cannot be changed so why focus on that aspect of the game? Not keeping score in your head or watching the card is another thing I focus on.

Golf is a simple game of execution - in order to give yourself the best chance of the best shot execution you must focus solely on the shot at hand and nothing else. The slate must be wiped clean before you execute the next shot. Just simple Yoda type stuff really.
That is a quality post Jack, well said. Thanks.

Ferrins
9th September 2009, 06:41 PM
Not true for everybody though

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 06:44 PM
So don't get too excited when you make a hole in one Jack? ;)

markTHEblake
9th September 2009, 06:47 PM
Blake opened both barrels up on me.

I did? :? You need to harden up nancy boy.

If I posted what he did, but directed at another forum member, the flaming would have been epic..

Ok, which is the bit that would have been a flaming epic, if you had of said it instead of me.

* excluding this post of course......

Webster
9th September 2009, 07:02 PM
Not true for everybody though

Correct, you need to find your own path forward. What is yours BTW?

So don't get too excited when you make a hole in one Jack? ;)

Correct, especially if its not in a comp.

Ferrins
9th September 2009, 07:20 PM
[quote=Jack;366257]Correct, you need to find your own path forward. What is yours BTW?

Your description is how I conduct myself when I'm shooting a low round. One guy got up me for not being excited about holing a eagle putt. However there are people who are more reactive to the situation at hand and their moods and concentration levels ebb and flow.

Webster
9th September 2009, 07:25 PM
Ferrins, it matters not what others say.

markTHEblake
9th September 2009, 07:28 PM
Golf is a simple game of execution - in order to give yourself the best chance of the best shot execution you must focus solely on the shot at hand and nothing else.

I have found that this kind of mental attitude works exceptionally in matchplay as well, it has taken me a long time to figure it out though. :)

The important thing is what you said and to take the focus off your score whether you are 3 up or 3 down.

Its too easy to start thinking you are in a great position to be 3 up, when the reality is you are only two putts away from being in a very precarious spot, and vica versa.

Its when we are fixated on our score, that the scoreboard suffers. I am not suggesting that you shouldnt count your score, for many golfers that is impossible (more so in matchplay) but rather realise that while you are still on the golf course anything is possible, good and bad, so just concentrate on the next shot.

Pieface
9th September 2009, 07:31 PM
Its when we are fixated on our score, that the scoreboard suffers. I am not suggesting that you shouldnt count your score, for many golfers that is impossible (more so in matchplay) but rather realise that while you are still on the golf course anything is possible, good and bad, so just concentrate on the next shot.

I'm really trying to implement this mindset. I know how I'm tracking roughly from scoring each hole but I try to give the shot in front of me 100% attention. Sometimes it works sometimes I still have numbers spinning through my mind. I think it's a discipline to zone out the associated guff and play the stroke.

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 07:32 PM
I have found that this kind of mental attitude works exceptionally in matchplay as well, it has taken me a long time to figure it out though. :)

The important thing is what you said and to take the focus off your score whether you are 3 up or 3 down.

Its too easy to start thinking you are in a great position to be 3 up, when the reality is you are only two putts away from being in a very precarious spot, and vica versa.

Gold mark.

I hit a low draw six iron today, after a little coaching from aldo.

A shot I have never hit before but pulled of really well for exactly the reasons you and Jack are talking about.

Golf is a journey. 8)

razaar
9th September 2009, 07:56 PM
Ferrins, it matters not what others say.
Not sure that's right. Several years ago I was 3 down in a senior pennant match at Pacific after 12. My opponent who had been holing bombs all day was using a motorized cart being ferried around by his wife. He'd tear off down the fairway drive up to both balls, check out both shots, drive up to the green and check out the pin location and obstacles and drive back to his ball while we walked up the fairway. He was giving both my caddie and me the royal shits to put it mildly. His tee shot on the 13th par3 finished within 2.5 metres of the hole. I looked at my caddie and said "**** this" to which he replied "ask his missus if she does it in the mens toilet". Cracked me up and I started giggling - hit a knockdown 7-iron into the hole for an ace. We let cart man retrieve both balls. Birdied the 14th and squared the match on the 17th - finished all square.:lol:

markTHEblake
9th September 2009, 08:00 PM
Sometimes it works sometimes I still have numbers spinning through my mind.

It's ok to have the numbers in your mind, just dont get hung up on them.

Not sure if thats easy to explain well.

markTHEblake
9th September 2009, 08:04 PM
I looked at my caddie and said "**** this" to which he replied "ask his missus if she does it in the mens toilet".

Mate that is gold. I am going to have to remember something like that next time I caddie. For some reason i seem to have a pretty good record caddying for blokes that lose, so I need it badly.

Ferrins
9th September 2009, 09:07 PM
It is so easy to get in the head of someone not trying to focus on their score. Sure you can control your thoughts to just focus on each shot but you can't stop someone picking that and using it against you. I played with someone the other day and I was checking the halfway scores and he goes "let's worry about that at the end". The game is all about scoring so why would you want to not focus on it.

ParMaster
9th September 2009, 09:22 PM
What's done cannot be changed so why focus on that aspect of the game?

Golf is a simple game of execution - in order to give yourself the best chance of the best shot execution you must focus solely on the shot at hand and nothing else.

Great advice. 8)

henno
9th September 2009, 09:27 PM
you must focus solely on the beer in hand and nothing else.

Great advice. 8)

FlyBallDavo
9th September 2009, 10:12 PM
For me its my iron play.
The more greens you hit the better chance of scoring well.
Missing greens will result in 2 things:

*More pressure on your short game which is obviously more difficult in getting up & down than 2-putting.

*Only making Pars by getting up & down.

More greens equals more birdies and pars.

ParMaster
10th September 2009, 12:03 AM
And you would base a full appraisal of someone's game on seeing one slightly grainy DTL swing?

Here is Scottt's swing if you haven't met him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvg7650y6MM

:mrgreen:

Scottt
10th September 2009, 06:44 AM
And you havent done it yet. So as you insist on being right give us a real world example of someone who had a good score combined with putting poorly, instead of a fantasy.

Alright then. I played Walton Heath Old last Thursday and shot 80. The course rating is 73 and the member I played with said in the conditions of the day (I hit a 170m 8i and a 135m flushed 5i...) he has seen it rate at 75.

I had 36 putts, including three 3-putts. The longest putt I made all day was 7ft.

Having conceded now that you know my game better than I do, I will make no further comment and await your judgement of whether that consistitutes a good round with poor putting.

Webster
10th September 2009, 06:48 AM
Scott, was that score in a comp?

Dotty
10th September 2009, 07:35 AM
Isn't 7 over par an average round for a 7 marker ?

The way I read it, MTB was saying that one needed to putt well to get a lowest round (as opposed to an average round).

Scottt
10th September 2009, 07:43 AM
5-6 over the rating for a 7 marker is a "good round", wouldn't you agree, Dotty?

Given the average golfer plays to handicap 1 out of every 5 to 6 rounds, I'd have thought so.

Dotty
10th September 2009, 07:54 AM
Taking into account the arbitrary re-rating by a fellow competitor, it is a "good round".

Is it your lowest score, as per the thread topic ?

Sydney Hacker
10th September 2009, 07:56 AM
5-6 over the rating for a 7 marker is a "good round", wouldn't you agree, Dotty?

Given the average golfer plays to handicap 1 out of every 5 to 6 rounds, I'd have thought so.

But was the rating actually 75 ? I know the gent that you played said he had seen it rate 75 on days like that, but it may not of actually rated that.

To me playing to my handicap or beating it by a shot or maybe two, is not a great day at golf. Granted it is a good day, but still not a "great" round.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 08:04 AM
All good questions.

In my 14 years of golf, I have had 6-over or better (I'll go the liberal route and say it rated 74) less than 20 times.

I'd say one of my 20 lowest scores on a course as hard as WHO, having not seen it previously qualifies as one of my "lowest scores".

I mean, I've shot +1 and +3 at Springwood and +4 at Calderwood Valley, but this round was easily better golf than that.

markTHEblake
10th September 2009, 09:29 AM
The way I read it, MTB was saying that one needed to putt well to get a lowest round (as opposed to an average round).

:smt038

at stretching the truth the round was 2 better than handicap (and was not in a comp) - hardly good as defined by the thread topic, and a putting stat that is 3 worse than the average for a 7 handicap is only ordinary.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 04:42 PM
Actually, this is the post of Blake's that spawned this slight deviation on the OP:

There is no mention there of "the best one or two rounds you've ever had" or anything like that. It is quite clear.

The truth, backed up by my example above - and I am sure most everyone here has an example, is that you can have a good round without putting well..

3oneday
10th September 2009, 04:52 PM
Are you going back to bed now that you've clarified that ?

Scottt
10th September 2009, 04:56 PM
It's 8am, 3. I have been at work for some time...

Eag's
10th September 2009, 05:21 PM
Scottt do us all a favor and move on already. Nobody really gives a toss how good you think you are, this is not a pissing contest.
Oh by the way, I am still waiting for the $10 you owe from the tipping comp??

Scottt
10th September 2009, 05:36 PM
This has nothing to do with you, unless you have a theory on how intrinsically linked putting is to good scores. Your petty childish insults are water off a duck's back. When I get around to caring what people think of others they have never met, I'll let you know ;)

It is disappointing that sections of this website insist on mounting constant, abusive personal crusades, attacking other members regardless of the content of their posts.

This has nothing to do with how good or otherwise any OzGolfer is at the game of golf.

This has been an interesting exchange of opinions, I think...

sms316
10th September 2009, 06:03 PM
If I hit every green in regulation and only shot even par I'd be headless.

Just my 2c.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 06:13 PM
I can understand that SMS, Syd Hack's comment that those good enough to hit 18 greens wouldn't be happy with even par is right on the money. My hypothetical is obviously, as Blake pointed out, highly unlikely.

What is the most GIR you have hit in a round?

sms316
10th September 2009, 06:16 PM
17 at Duntryleague GC in Orange. Shot 63 (-7). The greens there aren't overly big. Was a pure ballstriking day.

markTHEblake
10th September 2009, 06:25 PM
There is no mention there of "the best one or two rounds you've ever had" or anything like that. It is quite clear.

am responding to the thread topic. Everyone else got it except you.

It is disappointing that sections of this website insist on mounting constant, abusive personal crusades, attacking other members regardless of the content of their posts.

Nobody is attacking you Scott, but you sure as hell hand out the abuse time and time again.

as a scratch golfer that is realistic, as you are, on average 10-12 shots better per round than a 7 handicap golfer.

Eag's
10th September 2009, 06:27 PM
This has nothing to do with you, unless you have a theory on how intrinsically linked putting is to good scores. Your petty childish insults are water off a duck's back. When I get around to caring what people think of others they have never met, I'll let you know ;)

This has nothing to do with how good or otherwise any OzGolfer is at the game of golf.

Turn it up you clown don't try and play the victim card with me. You seem to enjoy giving others grief when you see fit but can't handle it when you cop it in return. Time to put you back on ignore one thinks :roll:

Scottt
10th September 2009, 06:36 PM
"Turn it up you clown..."

I can't compete with such advanced methods of debating a point. Please, for the benefit of all forum users, put me on ignore and stop wasting space with such pointless, vitriolic, abusive posts.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 06:38 PM
am responding to the thread topic. Everyone else got it except you.

That's because I was responding to this.

Does that make sense?

markTHEblake
10th September 2009, 06:38 PM
with such pointless, vitriolic, abusive posts.

clown is as bad as it got.

Gee, lucky nobody called you a dickhead.

Webster
10th September 2009, 06:44 PM
I mean, I've shot +1 and +3 at Springwood and +4 at Calderwood Valley, but this round was easily better golf than that.

Scottt, were these comp rounds? ie do you have any proof?

Scottt
10th September 2009, 06:52 PM
Yes Jack. +1 and +3 in comp. +4 not.

I shot even par playing with Scarfie one day, too... :lol:

markTHEblake
10th September 2009, 07:00 PM
I shot 1 under at Calderwood with a triple, (or was it 2 under, scores usually get better with age), couldnt make a putt all day.

That course is so short I wouldnt rate that a good score (as per the context of this thread) probably only played to my handicap. From memory they havent even got an ACR. A solid golfer like Jack would want to shoot 6 under around there on a bad day. All the par 4's are drive and chip/putt and all but one of the 5's are all easily reachable.

ParMaster
10th September 2009, 07:35 PM
Stupid bloody quote didn't work.

Yes MTB's statement does make sence about putting.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 07:49 PM
I shot 1 under at Calderwood with a triple, (or was it 2 under, scores usually get better with age), couldnt make a putt all day.

That course is so short I wouldnt rate that a good score (as per the context of this thread) probably only played to my handicap. From memory they havent even got an ACR. All the par 4's are drive and chip/putt and all but one of the 5's are all easily reachable.

Right, so that would be like your home course, which has par fours measuring 321m, 281m, 300m, 301m, 272m, 281m, 326m and 275m, two par threes under 140m and a 460m par five?

:lol:

virge666
10th September 2009, 07:51 PM
Greens in Reg - Most important stat out there.

Greens in Reg mean birdies.

But you lads continue on without me . . .

Scottt
10th September 2009, 07:58 PM
Virge, do you agree driving is also crucial, given it's hard to hit GIR from behind trees?

ParMaster
10th September 2009, 08:00 PM
Well that would largely depend on the type of course you play and also the hole in general aswell.

But yes I'd agree it's important to drive well in order to hit GIR.

3oneday
10th September 2009, 08:03 PM
But you lads continue on without me . . .
not sure the post count was down whilst you were away ???

I think I did tell Scottt he was being a wanker. If the forum put him on ignore, what would that achieve ?

;)

AndyP
10th September 2009, 09:06 PM

Ferrins
10th September 2009, 09:06 PM
If I hit every green in regulation I would be happy with even par. Odds are you would face alot of long putts and also there would be the temptation to charge a few birdie putts. At Gailes I hit the first 7 greens and was 6 over.

markTHEblake
10th September 2009, 09:31 PM
Right, so that would be like your home course,

Calderwood is a 5000m par 70 golf course with no water of any significance.

it is nothing like my home course at all. You should be embarrassed at listing a round at that course as one of your better scores.

Hey, its a great little golf course and they should build more like it (Take notice Golfer69). Joe Hacker can play there and thoroughly enjoy himself without being intimidated with 6500m monstrosities with penal water hazards. Thats why its a popular track.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 09:42 PM
Blake, you are a king of ignoring anything that derails your one-dimensional arguments.

As far as "listing it as one of my better scores", read back, I actually used it as an example of how the score to par does not always correlate with how good the round was. In short words that you might understand and find hard to misrepresent: I was also saying it is an easy course.

You named drive and chip par fours and reachable par fives. Add in sub-140m par threes and that describes 11 of the 18 holes at Helensvale.

No water of significance at Calderwood? Apart from the holes with water carries off the tee or in front of the green, then (in the case of two par threes - both)? (from memory the par three 3rd, par three 5th, par three 8th, par four 10th and drive on the 18th all have significant water carries. See attachment)

virge666
10th September 2009, 10:00 PM
Virge, do you agree driving is also crucial, given it's hard to hit GIR from behind trees?

Could not give a shit about driving accuracy - because not all missed drives are behind trees. All I care about is greens in reg and that my putts are around 32-33 putts a round.

If I miss a drive and it goes behind a tree - then I doubt it will be a GIR. If I miss a fairway and stick it in the rough - it is still in play, I can still hit a green.

Greens in Reg is god in my books. GIR = Opportunity to birdie and a very little chance of Bogey. If I hit 18 GIR's and had even par - I would be friggin pissed.

But yes I'd agree it's important to drive well in order to hit GIR.

No - It ain't

ParMaster
10th September 2009, 10:03 PM
It depends on the course virge. As I said there are many variables.

virge666
10th September 2009, 10:07 PM
It depends on the course virge. As I said there are many variables.

No it doesn't.

Q. Can I have a BAD round with with 14 fairways ?
A. Yes I can.

Q. Can I have a BAD round with 18 GIR
A. No - I cannot.

I think a bloke called Tiger Woods is living proof of that.

ParMaster
10th September 2009, 10:16 PM
Yes it does. It doesn't make a massive difference but there would still be a correlation between how your hitting your Driver and how many greens you hit.

For example if you do a mishit, you are hitting a longer club into the green and harder to hit the green.
If you miss the fairway you are hitting out the rough then you still have roughly the same chance to hit the green.
Smash it in a fairway bunker and hitting the green is all but out the question.
Miss the fairway and you got a lost ball.
Hit it to the wrong side of the fairway and face a tougher shot into the green because the green might be bunkered on the wrong side in relation to where you are hitting from.

It does make a difference as to what course your playing. If you hit a drive 50 metres offline at Long Reef, then you will still be able to hit it into the green from a good lie because it's a very open course with little trouble.
If however your playing at NSW and you hit it 50 metres offline, then you will most likely have a lose ball.
Hit it 50 metres offline at Twin Creeks and your in a bunker or stuck behind trees, hidering the chance of getting a GIR.

Do you somewhat agree? Or are we agreeing to disagree? ;)

virge666
10th September 2009, 10:40 PM
Do you somewhat agree? Or are we agreeing to disagree? ;)

Have to be the latter.

Don't care how I got there - the aim of the game is the approach shot. As Hogan said - the quality of the drive depends on the resulting approach shot.

I can use my software to find out what holes I am not hitting in reg and I can adjust my strategy to combat this. I just don't give a shit about Fairways . . . as it is a symptom.

GIR = Birdie opportunity. If I am not getting GIR on a particular hole because I am missing the fairway - then we have an issue about the tee shot. Not the other way around.

I can shoot under par missing fairways on ANY course. I can't do it missing Greens.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 10:42 PM
I can see how you're looking at it Virge. I guess for those of us who don't just miss fairways but entire corridors, it can be more of an issue!

Using numbers, in my 8 most recent rounds, I hit 75 greens (52% GIR).

On the par four and five holes where I hit the fairway (72), I hit 56 GIR (77% GIR on fairways hit).

I hit only 19 GIR from 72 approaches on par threes and longer holes where I missed the fairway (25% GIR on par threes and fairways missed).

To me, that tells me on driving holes, hitting the fairway gives me a much greater chance of GIR.

markTHEblake
10th September 2009, 11:12 PM
Add in sub-140m par threes and that describes 11 of the 18 holes at Helensvale.

You need to do some more study, would be 9 and umm, compared to 16 at Calderwood, but hey, what was your point again?

oh thats right, changing the subject, and that doesnt fool anyone.

No water of significance at Calderwood?Actually i now recall there is one (11th) , so I apologise for that. but none of the ones you mentioned. If you think any you mentioned are in play for you then I dont know what to say, except - harden up flossy.

Par 3's that are 7-8 irons, with a creek in front of the tee or a pond that stretches halfway to the green is not significant for a 7 handicap, it just looks pretty.

Apart from the holes with water carries off the tee or in front of the green, then (in the case of two par threes - both)? (from memory theYou are a 7 handicap, not Joe Hacker

par four 10th you are worried about the water 50m behind the green, if you are that long, just hit a 4 iron.

and drive on the 18th all have significant water carries. See attachment)It is a puddle in front of the tee, take out your lob wedge and chip over it if it makes you nervous. The hole is 290m though, one of their longest, so dont lay up too much though

Scottt
10th September 2009, 11:19 PM
9 "drive and pitch" par fours at Helensvale: 321m, 281m, 300m, 301m, 272m, 281m, 326m and 275m.

2 par threes under 140m.

1 460m par five.

You may have been correct telling me to do some homework: that's not 11, that's 12 of the 18 holes. So you'd be what? A 9 or 10 handicap on a real golf course?

Of the eight comp games you've played away from Helensvale since you started playing there, you are yet to break your handicap... I'd say there's something in that. :lol:

virge666
10th September 2009, 11:41 PM
To me, that tells me on driving holes, hitting the fairway gives me a much greater chance of GIR.

Or is it that your short irons suck - or maybe you mid irons should be better.

Maybe your strat on these holes are wrong... maybe you should not have been hitting driver on these holes... or maybe . . or maybe . . or maybe.

See what I mean ...

There was a good article in Golf Digest of a bloke who had a modded stat for fairways - it encompassed a "Can I hit it at the green" component or an obstructed component.

Fairways also don't cover length - A long hitter will hit less fairways than a short hitter...

Or places like Kennedy Bay where it is either "Fairway" or "Lost Ball"

GIR is easy - you either hit it or you don't. Then we hit the next huge question of WHY the GIR stat is low... Which I think is what you are looking at reasons for now.

Its all good.

Scottt
10th September 2009, 11:47 PM
Indeed, GIR stat is what it is, and the reasons for it will be individual to each golfer, I agree. I used to hit a decent amount of GIR from adjacent fairways. Playing at Deal, that same drive has me playing my third from the tee! :lol:

adlo
10th September 2009, 11:54 PM
Virge, you need AndyPees "effective tee shot" stat

markTHEblake
11th September 2009, 01:29 AM
What is the reason again you have spent wasted so much time studying my handicap record and my course again?

In any case this dribble is worth shredding.

9 "drive and pitch" par fours at Helensvale: 321m, 281m, 300m, 301m, 272m, 281m, 326m and 275m.

Thats eight not nine, hope you dont have this trouble on the golf course.

2 par threes under 140m.Not two, One, and seeing as you are desperately splitting hairs, I can too, No par 3's under 136m.

1 460m par five.only the clinically insane try to hit that green in two.

A 9 or 10 handicap on a real golf course?Surely you have a clue what ACR/CCR means to handicaps.

Of the eight comp games you've played away from Helensvale since you started playing there, you are yet to break your handicap... I'd say there's something in that.Well if i was off 10 i would be playing 3-5 strokes below my handicap in 5 of those 8 rounds ya dope :roll:

My 'away' game is fine. Its actually my home game that bothers me.

(by the way its 9 rounds not 8, but one is not my score, still means you have trouble with the add ups)

Scottt
11th September 2009, 04:51 AM
Obsessed with semantics? You? Never!

peter_rs
11th September 2009, 08:22 AM
OK I'm not a low marker so this wont count for some but my best scores come from ball striking.

I have never been a great putter just streakie on a good day I can have 27 putts on a bad day I can have 42 and still shoot sub 85.

If my short game is working then it can save a few shots but if my ball striking is up I don't really need it, and if I have to pick a shot it would be a sand save.

As for fairways I agree with virge I can make more birdies from the wrong fairway or trees. I guess I have an advantage to some respects in I can hit it "high" and I like trying to work the ball.... I focus on the hard shots better.... my mind can wander on the easy shots from the fairways.

Ok ball striking and Brain.

BrisVegas
11th September 2009, 09:31 AM
Scott, I think the key for you is to reduce the amount by which you miss fairways, or find ways to get GIR from a missed fairway. The tour pros do this by hitting it a mile and being very good with wedges from the rough.

Jono
11th September 2009, 10:07 AM
Scottt do us all a favor and move on already. Nobody really gives a toss how good you think you are, this is not a pissing contest.
Oh by the way, I am still waiting for the $10 you owe from the tipping comp??

Scottt doesn't pay up? :?

I want to see the money before we play Scottt. 8)

markTHEblake
11th September 2009, 10:32 AM
Obsessed with semantics? You? Never!

You are the one so desperate to prove something with numbers, not my fault you cant count for crap.
here ya go.

http://www.qdata.com.au/productimages/thumbnails/069397.jpg

That goes without saying Jono, if someone turns up for a bet, without the money, the bet is off.

Not to mention you need a referee, as Scott has shown, counting is not his strong port. So Its 18 Hundred dollar notes each into the ref's hands before the first tee, I'll be happy to do the honours, as I would love to see this.

Actually I will be happy to play him $100 a hole as well, but i get to play off 10, cos thats my real handicap.

Webster
11th September 2009, 10:48 AM
Not to mention you need a referee, as Scott has shown, counting is not his strong port.

Actually that is correct - he has owned up to submitting a competition card in the past which "accidentally" contained the wrong score on one hole although he did realise his error later albeit only when he got the guilts about it.

I'm not suggesting he is a cheat, but based on past performance a referee would be a must for any game he is involved in for sure.

Jono
11th September 2009, 11:11 AM
I nominate Jarro as the ref. 8)

Jarro
11th September 2009, 12:35 PM
I nominate Jarro as the ref. 8)

I'm there :smt023

Scottt
11th September 2009, 05:47 PM
Scott, I think the key for you is to reduce the amount by which you miss fairways, or find ways to get GIR from a missed fairway. The tour pros do this by hitting it a mile and being very good with wedges from the rough.

This is true, and I have managed to, to a decent extent. To be fair, those eight games were played at seven courses, and six of the rounds were my first look at the course. I'm swinging smoother and not worrying too much about distance now. Which is easy in summer with 60yds run, but hopefully I can keep it going in winter. Especially now the stark reality of my stats is there to see.

Actually that is correct - he has owned up to submitting a competition card in the past which "accidentally" contained the wrong score on one hole although he did realise his error later albeit only when he got the guilts about it.

I'm not suggesting he is a cheat, but based on past performance a referee would be a must for any game he is involved in for sure.

Jack, to "extremely funny" in your list of stengths I am going to have to add "memory like an elephant" :lol: Indeed that did happen.

I would like to add that I do, and have, paid my debts.

Webster
11th September 2009, 05:57 PM
scottt, admissions of dishonesty and possible cheating (although i did, at the time, give you the benefit of the doubt) are not easily forgotten.

Scottt
11th September 2009, 06:04 PM
What I admitted to, Slim, was a mistake. A mistake I corrected when I realised it.

Webster
11th September 2009, 06:08 PM
hey i believe you bead boy, even if others still have their doubts.

Scottt
11th September 2009, 06:10 PM
At least I didn't get beaten by an Asian kid on Anzac Day ;)

Webster
11th September 2009, 06:20 PM
maybe i wouldnt have either if i had written down a 3 when i really had a 4.

Scottt
11th September 2009, 06:25 PM

razaar
11th September 2009, 06:52 PM
:razz: How do I change the title of this thread to " Scottt, what part of your game do you credit for your lowest scores?"

markTHEblake
11th September 2009, 06:54 PM
bad maths and 60 yards run lowers the scores!

Scottt
11th September 2009, 06:59 PM
And 8 drive and putt par fours ;)

AndyP
11th September 2009, 07:12 PM
:razz: How do I change the title of this thread to " Scottt, what part of your game do you credit for your lowest scores?"Actually, it needs to be split into 5 threads.

What part of your game does Scottt credit for your lowest scores?
What part of Scottt's game does Scottt credit for Scottt's lowest scores?
What part of Scottt's game do you credit for Scottt's lowest scores?
What part of your game do you credit to Scottt for your lowest scores?
And last, and definitely least 'What part of your game do you credit for your lowest scores?'

Scottt
11th September 2009, 07:12 PM
Not going to have a change of heart and delete your post again, Andy?

AndyP
11th September 2009, 07:14 PM
No, I didn't call you a **** this time.

sms316
11th September 2009, 07:15 PM
What part of Hawthorn's season does Scottt blame for their demise in 2009?

Scottt
11th September 2009, 07:24 PM
Andy, this thread degenerated after Mark posted that "a good round is impossible without putting well", then pigheadedly went on the attack when I dared to disagree. I realise you Qlders will insist on overlooking your mate's deadshittery and lumping any dispute he is in on the other party, I and others have come to expect it, but it's as transparent as the air we breathe, so call me a f*ck, a c*unt or whatever you like until your aggrieved little heart is content.

markTHEblake
11th September 2009, 07:29 PM
then pigheadedly went on the attack when I dared to disagree.

Didn't attack you at all. No idea why you are sensitive and no idea what about.

Jarro
11th September 2009, 07:31 PM
Andy, this thread degenerated after Mark posted that "a good round is impossible without putting well", then pigheadedly went on the attack when I dared to disagree. I realise you Qlders will insist on overlooking your mate's deadshittery and lumping any dispute he is in on the other party, I and others have come to expect it, but it's as transparent as the air we breathe, so call me a f*ck, a c*unt or whatever you like until your aggrieved little heart is content.

Settle fella, you're treading on thin ice there

Dotty
11th September 2009, 07:35 PM
Isn't this simply about one side using the phrase 'good score' in relation to lowest score, and the other side using it as 'better than average' ?

Now to fix up the Middle East.

Yossarian
11th September 2009, 07:35 PM
I think everyone just needs one big cyber hug. What do you say just? Shall we?

*edit*

damn dotty beat me with a smart arsey response.

adlo
11th September 2009, 07:38 PM
Isn't this simply about one side using the phrase 'good score' in relation to lowest score, and the other side using it as 'better than average' ?

Now to fix up the Middle East.
That is Dotty gold right there.

Now gents, enjoy this post to calm yourselves down.

Scottt
11th September 2009, 07:41 PM
I'm calm, I'm just sick of this continuous crap.

Thin ice, Jarro? :lol:

just
11th September 2009, 07:44 PM
I think everyone just needs one big cyber hug. What do you say just? Shall we?

*edit*

damn dotty beat me with a smart arsey response.
What you mean we, white man? Hug away hippy.

markTHEblake
11th September 2009, 07:45 PM
Settle fella, you're treading on thin ice there

I can see two violations of forum rules already in that post, so its way past the thin ice stage already.

Scottt
11th September 2009, 07:47 PM
You really are a pathetic little excuse for a man, Blake. carry on like a f*ck, then hide behind mummy's legs and tell her the big bad boy bullied you and broke the rules.

Seriously, if you fellas feel the need to push the button, do it. Might actually work out well. When you jettison me and nothing here changes, you might be forced to actually address the real issues at work.

markTHEblake
11th September 2009, 07:58 PM
You keep crying you have been attacked when you havent, then you come up with stuff like that.

The rules you broke, have nothing to do with me. So once again you are the one with egg on your face, for about the 4th time this thread.
I'll get you some more chux, you must have run out by now.

AndyP
11th September 2009, 08:01 PM
You're paranoid, Scottt. Where's your evidence of the whole state of Qld being against you? I haven't seen any moderating against you and noone called you a ****.

You've posted nearly a quarter of the posts in this thread and even the thread starter has commented on it. Perhaps that's what people are sick of.

zigwah
11th September 2009, 08:22 PM
ahhhhhh, glad someone else is copping a hiding.

Eag's
12th September 2009, 08:35 AM

You really are a pathetic little excuse for a man, Blake. carry on like a f*ck, then hide behind mummy's legs and tell her the big bad boy bullied you and broke the rules.

Seriously, if you fellas feel the need to push the button, do it. Might actually work out well. When you jettison me and nothing here changes, you might be forced to actually address the real issues at work.

:-#

henno
12th September 2009, 09:04 AM
This thread sucks. I hear enough pointless bitching by the old ducks at work.

To get back on topic, I'll let you know what part of my game I'll credit for my low scores if I ever actually have a low score.

Tex
12th September 2009, 09:12 AM
+1

Iain
12th September 2009, 09:14 AM
Shortgame and keeping it in the fairway off the tee....

Eag's
12th September 2009, 09:35 AM
This thread sucks. I hear enough pointless bitching by the old ducks at work.

To get back on topic, I'll let you know what part of my game I'll credit for my low scores if I ever actually have a low score.

Maybe this thread needs some Narwhals ;)

Rooster
12th September 2009, 09:45 AM
Agree with that 100%:smt038

Webster
12th September 2009, 10:37 PM

Dont forget putting, it is very important too.

mike
12th September 2009, 11:39 PM
Just found this. Nine pages. Should I bother?

Johnny Canuck
12th September 2009, 11:57 PM

Just my 2c.

Played with the guy I consider to be the best iron striker in our club a while back. He hit 18 greens in reg. He 2 putt 16 of them and 3 jacked the other 2. By the end of it, I wanted to throw his putter into the trees myself and volunteer to putt for him.

Even though he shot well below the CCR, I don't think you could consider that a good round.

If you can scramble, driving is waaaaaay overrated. (coming from a scrambler).

Or is it that your short irons suck - or maybe you mid irons should be better.

Maybe your strat on these holes are wrong... maybe you should not have been hitting driver on these holes... or maybe . . or maybe . . or maybe.

See what I mean ...

There was a good article in Golf Digest of a bloke who had a modded stat for fairways - it encompassed a "Can I hit it at the green" component or an obstructed component.

Fairways also don't cover length - A long hitter will hit less fairways than a short hitter...

Or places like Kennedy Bay where it is either "Fairway" or "Lost Ball"

GIR is easy - you either hit it or you don't. Then we hit the next huge question of WHY the GIR stat is low... Which I think is what you are looking at reasons for now.

Its all good.

great points Virge. I'm a longer hitter at Kennedy and I use driver a max of about 4 times per round.

Often, I'm just in the rough, but 40m ahead of the boys in the fairway.

Scottt doesn't pay up? :?

Scottt paid me too much compared to what he owed me.

No interest was needed. He is more than good for funds owing.

Just found this. Nine pages. Should I bother?

No. Stick to selling nothing.

adlo
13th September 2009, 03:06 PM
Mike, don't do it.

JC, who was that shooting 74 after 18 GIR? 18 GIR?!?!?!?!

3oneday
13th September 2009, 03:11 PM
Mike, what Aldo said.

;)

Yossarian
13th September 2009, 03:12 PM
I can safely say that it helps to putt well ;)

adlo
13th September 2009, 03:19 PM
Mike, what Aldo said.

;)
Not that I should tell you this, put I much prefer Aldo to your normal names for me.

3oneday
13th September 2009, 03:42 PM
I still love you.

peter_rs
13th September 2009, 08:43 PM
not putting

Scottt
14th September 2009, 01:20 AM
Just found this thread. Good read. As most people have said, it's got to be putting. And GIR.

adlo
14th September 2009, 11:08 AM
Bulls*** Scottt you are so full of bloody crap, what is wrong with you?

TourFit
14th September 2009, 11:35 AM
I can safely say that it helps to putt well ;)

It DEFINATELY helps to putt better than Yoss, that's for sure...:mrgreen:

Scottt
14th September 2009, 04:54 PM
Bulls*** Scottt you are so full of bloody crap, what is wrong with you?

Many things. Where to start...

adlo
14th September 2009, 04:58 PM
1. You are not from Qld

Pippolo
14th September 2009, 09:56 PM
Prayer.

Scottt
14th September 2009, 10:01 PM
Was it Gary Player who said "there are no athiests in pot bunkers"? :lol:

Yossarian
14th September 2009, 10:02 PM
Was it Gary Player who said "there are no athiests in pot bunkers"? :lol:

That is pretty funny.

FlyBallDavo
14th September 2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, on more thought about this topic I can now understand why people have different views.

It comes down to a persons golfing ability and I would categorise the 'key factor' in scoring well as follows:

Golfers- Iron play resulting in GIR's.
Hackers- Fairways, generally keeping it in play.
Old Fella's/ Short Hitters- Short game/ putting.

Personally, my best rounds have come when my ball striking has been good resulting in hitting greens.

3oneday
15th September 2009, 07:42 AM
I shot 2 under hitting 7 greens once, but then maybe I fit into the last category.

Ahhh, the memories :lol:

razaar
15th September 2009, 07:51 AM
Ok, on more thought about this topic I can now understand why people have different views.

It comes down to a persons golfing ability and I would categorise the 'key factor' in scoring well as follows:

Golfers- Iron play resulting in GIR's.
Hackers- Fairways, generally keeping it in play.
Old Fella's/ Short Hitters- Short game/ putting.

Personally, my best rounds have come when my ball striking has been good resulting in hitting greens.
Don't forget the luck element. That is a must for a good score; bloody round ball can bounce any which way (for or against).

FlyBallDavo
15th September 2009, 08:13 AM
Ahh, the luck element- yes indeed.

How many good rounds have gone missing due to some bad luck?

This is an interesting topic and I will start a new topic.

markTHEblake
15th September 2009, 05:30 PM
How many good rounds have gone missing due to some bad luck?

None that i recall. Unlucky things only happened to me as the result of a bad shot in the first instance. The only exception is hitting the flagstick on the full and going further away but gee that happens how many times in a life time :)