PDA

View Full Version : Should get a 5 or 7 wood?

The Walrus
7th September 2009, 09:02 PM
OK so I have the Adams BUL 3 wood and love it. Dont know if I should get the matching 18 deg 5 or the 21 deg 7?

I cant hit my 3 iron to save my life so am trying a mates 7 wood. Its a cheap Dunlop so not the best club but seems to suit me, plus I have an Adams 19 deg A3OS hybrid that's very up and down. So I'm thinking of swapping both for a new fairway wood, but don't know which one!

SeldomEagles
7th September 2009, 09:07 PM
7 wood. Slotted a Taylormade into my bag a couple of months ago, super easy to hit. Dropped 5 wood to fit it in but that is just a personal preference. Would a 7 wood consistantly fill the void between your 3 wd and the next club that you are confident hitting?

razaar
7th September 2009, 09:10 PM
what do you love about the Adams 3-wood and what don't you like about the Adams hybrid? If you can figure this out it may help with your decision.

The Walrus
7th September 2009, 09:17 PM
Good questions!

4 iron is not consistent so the next club down is 5 iron which is a favourite but plan to improve on the 4 iron as that's a big gap!
I like that the 3 wood is pretty easy to hit from any lie, I can grip down on it and know that 9 times out of 10 it will fly, not great off the tee though! The hybrid is good off the tee and a reason why it may stay....despite what everyone says I cant use it from bad lies, just doesn't happen and just inconsistent off the deck!

I have room to keep the hybrid and get the BUL 7 wood, so that's first choice right now!

razaar
7th September 2009, 09:20 PM
Good questions!

4 iron is not consistent so the next club down is 5 iron which is a favourite but plan to improve on the 4 iron as that's a big gap!
I like that the 3 wood is pretty easy to hit from any lie, I can grip down on it and know that 9 times out of 10 it will fly, not great off the tee though! The hybrid is good off the tee and a reason why it may stay....despite what everyone says I cant use it from bad lies, just doesn't happen and just inconsistent off the deck!

I have room to keep the hybrid and get the BUL 7 wood, so that's first choice right now!

Uhuh..well I'm confused..can see your dilemma.

henno
7th September 2009, 09:40 PM
I am also confused. I prefer hybrids off the deck and 3woods off the tee, generally. I think you need a new hybrid.

Dotty
7th September 2009, 09:51 PM
Slightly different because I struggle with a 3 wood off the deck, but have used both 5w and 7w as the go-to clubs.

Originally favoured a 7 wood (Nike T40), due to the softer landing, that didn't run off the fairway and good on par 3s.

Changed a couple of years ago to a 5 wood (Cobra Fspeed) for longer run down the fairway, also adding a 23* hybrid (Cobra DWS)to the bag, in place of the 4 iron.

Dug out the old 7 wood a couple of weeks ago, and it felt like too much loft/too forgiving, and couldn't adjust distance like I can with a 5 wood, and/or even a 20* hybrid.

adlo
7th September 2009, 10:05 PM
Walrus, I have said this before to you, go a 7 wood or get a shallow faced hybrid.

The Walrus
7th September 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm up to here with hybrids...starting to think they are made by the devil! 7 wood is looking probable!

Yossarian
7th September 2009, 11:40 PM
You are hitting the wrong hybrids mate.

The Walrus
8th September 2009, 07:27 AM
Tell me more?

Jarro
8th September 2009, 07:36 AM
Didn't we cover this topic once (or twice) a while ago ??

Guys, try using the 'search' function and see what comes up ;)

Dotty
8th September 2009, 08:05 AM
Search function is a bit tricky for '7 wood', as it only finds 'wood'. And 7w is too short.

Anyway, Walrus, here are a couple of threads from the 'Equip Me' section that might help ...

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9331&highlight=wood
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3903&highlight=7wood

There are also a number of fairway wood vs. hybrid threads.

The Walrus
8th September 2009, 08:12 AM
Tried the search but didnt help....cheers Dotty, interesting reading

Ferrins
8th September 2009, 10:32 AM
I've got a Callaway #7 which has the loft of a 5 wood and the shaht length of a 7 wood.