PDA

View Full Version : 4 wood -> better than 3?

TheTrueReview
7th September 2009, 05:33 PM
I recall listening to a 'golf guru' some months back who said that many recreational golfers overlook the benefit of carrying a 4 wood, rather than a 3.

Apparently the assistance the slightly extra loft gives to launch & consistency is supposed more than outweigh any slight loss of distance between the clubs.

I'm considering getting rid of my hard to hit 3 and giving a 4 wood a go.

Any personal experiences with playing a 4 wood? Thoughts?

adlo
7th September 2009, 05:36 PM
How do you hit a 5 wood?

TheTrueReview
7th September 2009, 05:41 PM
How do you hit a 5 wood?

Don't know. Never hit one.

I'm not thinking of carrying a 5 wood though b/c I envisage it'd be too close in distance to the 2 hybrid.

WBennett
7th September 2009, 05:41 PM
I carry a 17 degree 4 wood and 2 hybrids - at the moment my first iron is a 5 iron. Carrying a 4 wood only allows extra wedges - scoring clubs.

How many times do you hit your 3/5 woods in a round, and would a single 4 wood covering both needs allow greater flexibility elsewhere in the bag?

adlo
7th September 2009, 05:44 PM

I'm not thinking of carrying a 5 wood though b/c I envisage it'd be too close in distance to the 2 hybrid.
Fair enough TTR, I asked the question to see if you found a 5 wood easier to hit (as they are much easier to find than 4 woods). If so, then the 4 wood should be a good idea. If not, then FW's might not be your thing.

Ferrins
7th September 2009, 05:46 PM
I don't use my 3 wood that much but I love the look of it so I leave it in.

TheTrueReview
7th September 2009, 05:51 PM
I carry a 17 degree 4 wood and 2 hybrids - at the moment my first iron is a 5 iron. Carrying a 4 wood only allows extra wedges - scoring clubs.

How many times do you hit your 3/5 woods in a round, and would a single 4 wood covering both needs allow greater flexibility elsewhere in the bag?

At the moment, from top down, it's driver, 2 hybrid, 3 hybrid, 4 iron.

The 2 hybrid is a beauty but it runs out of steam at about 220'ish metres. I was wondering if the 4 wood would fill the gap between 2 hybrid & driver (but be a little easier to hit than a 3 wood).

Sydney Hacker
7th September 2009, 05:53 PM
At the moment, from top down, it's driver, 2 hybrid, 3 hybrid, 4 iron.

The 2 hybrid is a beauty but it runs out of steam at about 220'ish metres. I was wondering if the 4 wood would fill the gap between 2 hybrid & driver (but be a little easier to hit than a 3 wood).

How much further then 220 metres do you want to hit it ???

Johnny Canuck
7th September 2009, 05:53 PM
i love my three wood, so it isn't going anywhere.

if you find it hard to hit, i would definately get a 4. i have tossed up the idea myself in the past.

i think shawwwww has a nice v-steel 4 wood in the shop at the moment, although $125 is a bit rich considering they've gone for less around here before.

Webster
7th September 2009, 05:56 PM
Longtime 4 wood user here - much better option for me than a 3 wood. And a much better fit in the set by going 4w-7w-24*-5toPW.

TheTrueReview
7th September 2009, 06:01 PM
How much further then 220 metres do you want to hit it ???

Unfortunately, not every shot off the tee works the way I'd like (yes, I admit it :(). Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but in that situation, I'd like to have something that's a bit easier than a 3 off the deck but will give some distance.

Edit 1: I've also thought of trying a G10 (15 degree) 1 hybrid also.

markTHEblake
7th September 2009, 06:15 PM
Apparently the assistance the slightly extra loft gives to launch & consistency is supposed more than outweigh any slight loss of distance between the clubs.

Shorter shaft and more loft means an easier club to hit, end of story. (being easier is very relative though)

Being a bloke, i am going to assume you do not hit the ball like an absolute pansy so its unlikely you are going to hit a 4W further than a 3W assuming a perfect repeatable swing.

However thats the issue isnt it, if you can be more consistent with a 4W because its easier to hit, on average it will go further.

pom
7th September 2009, 06:23 PM

When I bought the new clubs last year I Had a 5 wood & a 20 deg Baffler hybrid that went a similar distance. Added 2 1/2 cm to the 5 wood shaft . Now goes 15m further & is so easy to hit.

TheTrueReview
7th September 2009, 06:46 PM

Being a bloke, i am going to assume you do not hit the ball like an absolute pansy so its unlikely you are going to hit a 4W further than a 3W assuming a perfect repeatable swing.

However thats the issue isnt it, if you can be more consistent with a 4W because its easier to hit, on average it will go further.

Spot on. Bottled down, looking for a club (1) with some (easier) distance off the deck if I need to make up distance due to a less than perfect tee shot, & (2) a good 'go to' (distance) club on a really tight tee where there's OB left & right.

Footnote: thanks to all for the comments so far. Appreciated.

adlo
7th September 2009, 06:47 PM
In those situations the best club is putter.

gazgolf1
7th September 2009, 06:47 PM
Try a Titleist 906F4 3 wood 15.5 degrees, nice high launch and the VS Proto works for me.

ParMaster
7th September 2009, 06:56 PM
Well it isn't such a bad idea especially if you are strapped for space in you bag, as it can make way for 1 more club.

But for me I don't especially need a 4 wood as I need to get as much distance as possible on the 2nd shot into par 5's. So a 3w is the go for me.

Yossarian
7th September 2009, 06:57 PM
Buy a BUL

just
7th September 2009, 07:00 PM
Long time 17* wood user here. Had a G10 4 wood and now use a Tisi Tec 5 wood (17* as well). Shorter shaft and more lost means I am more consistent with this than I ever have been with a 3 wood.

3oneday
7th September 2009, 07:03 PM
Being a bloke, i am going to assume you do not hit the ball like an absolute pansy .
you clearly haven't been watching some of these recent videos !

3oneday
7th September 2009, 07:03 PM
If I could find a decent 4 wood I'd use one.

adlo
7th September 2009, 07:05 PM
Buy a Scotty Cameron 4 wood you homo

3oneday
7th September 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks, pics ???

adlo
7th September 2009, 07:08 PM
You wish, stop dreaming 3

3oneday
7th September 2009, 07:21 PM
Oh, were you teasing me :confused:

Lucasto23
7th September 2009, 08:05 PM
Get the 4 wood!!

3 what putter is that?

3oneday
7th September 2009, 08:06 PM
2.6 Scotty no name copy of nothing thing I picked up this morning

Lucasto23
7th September 2009, 08:10 PM
Looks pretty, when you get bored of it call me;)

oncewasagolfer
7th September 2009, 08:34 PM
Buy a BUL

I concur although I hated it when I first bought it the swingweight with the stock speeder shaft felt cumbersome so I put it in a dark corner of the shed. A couple of weeks ago I decided to give it another try and now it is in the bag for the foreseeable future, if your having trouble getting it up I would recommend u give the bull a try:shock:

adlo
7th September 2009, 08:36 PM
Top club, but no 4 wood option

senecio
7th September 2009, 08:48 PM
I've recently returned to using a 4-wood. Haven't been able to find a hybrid I like so I ditched it and the 3-wood for an old 4-wood I had in the cupboard.

Favourite club in the bag (this week anyway!).

Toolish
7th September 2009, 09:13 PM
I carry driver-4wood-3 iron. Found the gap between 3 wood and 3 iron a bit much so 4 wood came in.

In reality it is not that much easier than a 3 wood to hit, but for me the distance gaps work better.

Ferrins
7th September 2009, 09:22 PM
I have fairway woods in 13*, 14.5*, 15*, 15.5*. 18.5* & 20* plus Hybrids 16*,18*, 19* & 23*. I change depending on course & conditions

markTHEblake
7th September 2009, 11:02 PM
to confusing Ferrins. i just change my undies instead. Less of a choice and not often.

Johnny Canuck
7th September 2009, 11:06 PM
agree with blake, overkill!

Toolish
8th September 2009, 10:15 AM
I have fairway woods in 13*, 14.5*, 15*, 15.5*. 18.5* & 20* plus Hybrids 16*,18*, 19* & 23*. I change depending on course & conditions

You must be a better ball striker than I am to be able to pick those small differences in loft. Have you had the clubs measured, 0.5° is within manufacturer allowances.

Ferrins
8th September 2009, 10:30 AM
To me the only important clubs in the bag are Driver, wedges & putter. These are the scoring clubs and the clubs that are the most exciting to use. Practice and confidence with these clubs is what makes the biggest improvement to my game. I do not change these clubs. The 2 next longest clubs in the bag after the Driver are the most boring clubs in the bag for me. I shot one over the other day and didn't use either of them.