PDA

View Full Version : Some Help Customising My Lajosi Putter

MegaWatty
6th September 2009, 10:41 PM
OK Guys,

I'm going in! But before I fully commit, I have a few questions that I need answered so I can send Kari eactly what I want.

If you could help me answer some, that'd be great.

How do I work out the optimum length and lie angle? I've previously used the Ping webfit site that recommended a 34" Black Dot.
How do I work out my optimum Loft? Most putters are now 4* but after reading a few posts, it may be worth me looking at 5* to compensate for a forward press.
What's the difference (apart from physical looks) between a stepped and stepless shaft?
Is 350gm too heavy?

FYI. I'm going for the LPS1 centre shafted.

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2009, 11:26 PM
i've seen some other talk about degrees of loft and the greens that you normally play. if they are longer/slower, more loft is a good thing.

length? go with what you know and like.

adlo
6th September 2009, 11:28 PM
350g is a good weight. My Bettinardi is just under than weight, and with a bigger grip on there it has lost a bit of weight. But with a standard grip it felt really nice.

razaar
6th September 2009, 11:40 PM
The purpose of loft in a putter is to get the ball airborne off the face where it will land and roll, into the hole if we are lucky. 4* is plenty of loft even with a forward press action (which doesn't necessarily mean that the hands are well ahead of the ball at impact). 34" is pretty standard for a head weight of 340 - 350 gms. It all depends if you prefer a heavier swing weight or a lighter swing weight. Kari can take 10 gms off the head without altering the integrity of the model. The difference between the stepless shaft and a stepped shaft is really in the looks. I have both in Lajosi's and I can't tell the difference.

sms316
7th September 2009, 07:53 AM
Get a Scotty Cameron.

MegaWatty
7th September 2009, 09:32 AM
Get a Scotty Cameron.

No thanks. But appreciate the solid input. :?

3oneday
7th September 2009, 09:53 AM
If every post contained only solid info, this forum would be very small.

MegaWatty
7th September 2009, 10:05 AM
If every post contained only solid info, this forum would be very small.

And that makes me a sad Panda. :cry:

3oneday
7th September 2009, 10:06 AM
His post is not so useless, have you looked at the Scotty 2.6 ?

zacdullard
7th September 2009, 10:20 AM
Get a shiny one!

Try a few different putters in a shop, see what specs you feel comfortable with and then build yours around that.

oldmannoodles
7th September 2009, 10:24 AM
By all means get a Scotty but you're looking at about $20,000 (or more) to get one custom made your specs, personalized stampings, your choice of finish, shaft, grip, headcover, etc. Plus the chances that you'll be able to communicate with Scotty (as you will with Kari) are non-existent. Also, the man whose name is on the putter will actually be making your putter - it won't be palmed off to one of his minions.

In the end you'll be paying less for a completely customized one-off Lajosi putter than you would for one of the thousand identical off-the-rack mass-produced Camerons (which are fine putters by the way, but not custom-made).

3oneday
7th September 2009, 10:28 AM
My custom Scotty was just under $500 I think 8)

zacdullard
7th September 2009, 10:33 AM
My custom Scotty was just under $500 I think 8)
how do you get a custom one cheaper than a stock one from a golf shop?

3oneday
7th September 2009, 10:41 AM
What's a "golf shop" ??? :confused:

andylo
7th September 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Gain access to a PING's fitting putter from your local golf shop if possible. The one can adjust lie and shaft length.

This is how I get my ideal lie and I always know I want a 32.5" putter.

The following is ONLY my personal preference. If you like tacky/sticky putter grip, ask Kara if he can supply other kind of grip. The leather grip he put in my putter which is beautiful, IMO - is a little too slippery for my liking. I recently have to put a PING man grip in the putter but I feel the alignment between the grip and the putter head can never be right.

The finish of the putter is great and IMO once you get the hang of it, it craps all over expensive off the rack scotty. Its not going to putt into the hole for you automatically. But if you have a bad day, you know its not the putter - which help me takes out one of the possiblity.

OK Guys,

I'm going in! But before I fully commit, I have a few questions that I need answered so I can send Kari eactly what I want.

If you could help me answer some, that'd be great.

How do I work out the optimum length and lie angle? I've previously used the Ping webfit site that recommended a 34" Black Dot.
How do I work out my optimum Loft? Most putters are now 4* but after reading a few posts, it may be worth me looking at 5* to compensate for a forward press.
What's the difference (apart from physical looks) between a stepped and stepless shaft?
Is 350gm too heavy?

FYI. I'm going for the LPS1 centre shafted.

oldmannoodles
7th September 2009, 10:51 AM
Gripmaster do "tacky" leather grips as well so I'm sure Kari can assist there as well.

MegaWatty
7th September 2009, 10:55 AM
I'm a fan of Iomic grips, so I'll probably go with that.

razaar
7th September 2009, 11:27 AM
I had Kari put Iomic standard grips on my first two Lajosi's and couldn't be hapier. A later putter came without a grip and I gripped it myself with a GolfPride similar to the Iomic. Another Lajosi which just arrived 20 mins ago has a leather Gripmaster (deerhide, I think) which I will treat later with leather conditioner my in-laws sent from Dubbo. It has worked a treat on my other leather grips. The latest putter is similar to a centre shaft model with the shaft located more towards the heel with no off-set. It has a lie of 74* with a 34" shaft - feels very well balanced. Kari seems to think it will do better than the handmade coppers he made me. Actually if there is anything better I really didn't want to know about it :) so I am looking forward to testing it.

oldmannoodles
7th September 2009, 11:30 AM
Pics Ray???!!!

I actually wasn't a fan of the Gripmasters at first, but once I'd familiarized myself with the shape and feel I now refuse to use anything else - the deerskins are superb I reckon.

Lucasto23
7th September 2009, 11:30 AM
I had Kari put Iomic standard grips on my first two Lajosi's and couldn't be hapier. A later putter came without a grip and I gripped it myself with a GolfPride similar to the Iomic. Another Lajosi which just arrived 20 mins ago has a leather Gripmaster (deerhide, I think) which I will treat later with leather conditioner my in-laws sent from Dubbo. It has worked a treat on my other leather grips. The latest putter is similar to a centre shaft model with the shaft located more towards the heel with no off-set. It has a lie of 74* with a 34" shaft - feels very well balanced. Kari seems to think it will do better than the handmade coppers he made me. Actually if there is anything better I really didn't want to know about it :) so I am looking forward to testing it.

Pics, Pics, Pics Pleeeeeease!!!=P~

razaar
7th September 2009, 11:33 AM
The camera is recharging, will post the pics in your thread Ben when everything is up and running.

razaar
7th September 2009, 11:34 AM
:)...

zacdullard
7th September 2009, 11:52 AM
What's a "golf shop" ??? :confused:
A mythical land where the nasty goblins are intent on stealing the little pixie's pocket money.

sms316
7th September 2009, 12:30 PM
Not all of them. I know of one in particular which would do you a very nice deal if the opportunity arose.

:mrgreen:

And they sell Scotty Camerons.

MegaWatty
19th September 2009, 10:23 PM
Is it possible to have any putter head design Face Balanced? Possibly a dumb question....

MegaWatty
24th June 2011, 05:47 PM
I never bought a Custom Lajosi, but I have just seen pics of the refinished Ping Redwood Anser that he has done for me.

Holy crap, it looks awesome! I can't wait for TourFit to shaft it up and get it ready for play.

MegaWatty
24th June 2011, 05:50 PM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/792df937-419d-d5a0.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/792df937-41b4-2634.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/792df937-41cc-2459.jpg

oncewasagolfer
24th June 2011, 06:01 PM
Nice hopefully you can make some putts;)

MegaWatty
24th June 2011, 06:04 PM
I got my kids names stamped on the outside edges as well. My girls name in Pink and my boys name in blue.

oncewasagolfer
24th June 2011, 06:11 PM
Courty?

MegaWatty
24th June 2011, 06:16 PM
It has Watty on the front. You can see it if you look closely. Unlike Courty, I won't be selling it. :)

simmsy
24th June 2011, 06:31 PM
i saw it first hand today. looks mint! well done by Lajosi!!

also saw TF's SC don't know which model, looks like a D66 so which ever SC that one is. and another SC that is like an anser done it white/silver with celtic colour scheme looks really cool

Pieface
24th June 2011, 07:01 PM
I got my kids names stamped on the outside edges as well. My girls name in Pink and my boys name in blue.

That should assuage the fatherly guilt that assails you on the course Mega :p

MegaWatty
24th June 2011, 07:20 PM
I only play on Thursday. Guilt free. ;)

grumpyguy
24th June 2011, 07:21 PM
When I was getting ready to order my Lajosi, Kari put me in touch with a putting coach who analyzed my stroke and made recommendations. (He's in Melbourne.) It's an added expense but if you're not sure what you need, totally worth the dough. I couldn't see the point of getting a custom putter made with the wrong specs or why not just buy something off the rack. Of course I had a medical meltdown while it was being built and now that I have the putter, my stroke is about as smooth as an a ride down a dirt road. Got a lot of work to do.

I have the a grip master on my Roko and it's pretty nice.

Ferrins
24th June 2011, 08:06 PM

Your the bestess daddy in the whole world. Dibs on the putter:)

Courty
24th June 2011, 08:22 PM
Unlike Courty, I won't be selling it. :)

Pffft, we'll see. 8)

Courty
24th June 2011, 08:22 PM
Dibs on the putter:)

:lol:

MegaWatty
24th June 2011, 09:33 PM
Pffft, we'll see. 8)

I have two Redwood Anser's so I can sell one and still be OK. ;)

Johnny Canuck
24th June 2011, 09:42 PM
You know where the dibs lie.

oncewasagolfer
24th June 2011, 09:43 PM
When are you getting one of the new milled ping putters mega?

MegaWatty
24th June 2011, 10:20 PM
When Jack sells me one for 100 bucks. :)

Ferrins
25th June 2011, 09:14 AM
Interesting concept to spend extra money to totally deflate the value of your club.

MegaWatty
25th June 2011, 09:16 AM
I wasn't looking to sell it. It has an increased value to me.

Ferrins
25th June 2011, 09:43 AM
Spending time away from the kids to play golf and then get their names on your putter, must make them feel special.

MegaWatty
25th June 2011, 09:54 AM
As you would have read earlier, I play on Thursday mornings only. Both kids are pre-occupied.

Any other parental advice or trolling?

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2011, 12:19 PM
Rubin offers good parental advice. I can assist with some trolling.

Daves
25th June 2011, 12:21 PM
Look after your kids, some day they are going to be the ones picking your nursing home!

rubin
25th June 2011, 01:35 PM
Rubin offers good parental advice. I can assist with some trolling.

Mine wasn't Parenting advice, it was more psychological advice- one of the classes I actually listened to at uni.

U are indeed excellent at trolling though.

adlo
25th June 2011, 03:03 PM
Holy crap, it looks awesome! I can't wait for TourFit to shaft it up and get it ready for play.

Make sure you get him to adjust the loft and lie. Putter will be completely worthless after that.

MegaWatty
25th June 2011, 03:20 PM
Errrr. I think there's a little too much metal on metal for comfort.

TourFit
25th June 2011, 06:46 PM
I'll use a brass shim to cover the hosel...no marks at all.

MegaWatty
25th June 2011, 06:51 PM
Let's not run any risks. Just the shaft will do for the moment. The standard will be staying in the bag for the moment until I get a grip and the balls to take it outside anyway.

simmsy
25th June 2011, 10:36 PM
Paper weight?

MegaWatty
25th June 2011, 10:47 PM
Yup. Because my kids will really love me for a paperweight and I can then give up golf.

Nice signature.

adlo
26th June 2011, 12:17 AM
We all know both Redwoods will be on the bench soon anyways.

MegaWatty
26th June 2011, 12:18 AM
For the belly?

adlo
26th June 2011, 12:21 AM
Or your lack thereof these days.

But yes.

MegaWatty
26th June 2011, 12:30 AM
Not a Yes!

I have a putt with the staff after work each night and tried cross handed tonight. It worked a treat. I got home and cranked it up again. I can't even hold it the conventional way anymore (no homo). I am a convert, even though I used it when I was a kid with the classic Zebra mallet. ;)

This has delayed the belly and the trigger finger has been chopped at the knuckle.

simmsy
26th June 2011, 12:31 AM
thank god no belly putter.

adlo
26th June 2011, 12:33 AM
Good news. I was not against the belly, but the Redwood is a lovely piece of kit.

MegaWatty
26th June 2011, 12:38 AM
Indeed it is. Great feel and sound off the face. My new one was re-milled with what looks to be a coarser mill. That should make it feel a little softer, I'm guessing.

adlo
26th June 2011, 12:40 AM
Can you still buy that cheap Nickent just to enrage the Old Man?

simmsy
26th June 2011, 12:43 AM
it won't enrage me but i will have a bit of a giggle. he is too good a putter to be using a hack stick such as that.

adlo
26th June 2011, 12:44 AM
What about if he muttered under his breath every time he walked off the green with his belly putter?

Surely you would be enraged then?

MegaWatty
26th June 2011, 12:47 AM
I'm not old. He seems to have issues with those that have previously helped shape our country.

Johnny Canuck
26th June 2011, 01:17 AM
Mine wasn't Parenting advice, it was more psychological advice- one of the classes I actually listened to at uni.

U are indeed excellent at trolling though.

There is a fine line between truth and trolling. I prefer to speak for the masses.