PDA

View Full Version : Drills to counter OTT

terrys
6th September 2009, 09:11 PM
Not sure this is the right forum to post this, but I'll give it a go.

The last few weeks I've started to have some trouble with shots starting to the left, then moving further left, either with a draw, or occasionally a massive hook.

It doesn't happen everytime, but enough to be worrying.

I get the feeling that I'm falling into old habits and coming over the top which is starting the ball out left, but I'm getting my hands through as normal, so that is then causing the draw or hook.

any ideas?

thanks

terry

henno
6th September 2009, 09:15 PM
I spent some time today doing the "glove under the armpit" drill. I am also suffering a bad case of the OTTs, but my shots are going either way (straight pull or banana slice depending on my hands) which is even more catastrophic because I have no idea where to aim.

TheTrueReview
6th September 2009, 09:30 PM
I spent some time today doing the "glove under the armpit" drill. I am also suffering a bad case of the OTTs, but my shots are going either way (straight pull or banana slice depending on my hands) which is even more catastrophic because I have no idea where to aim.

Henno, I've been trying to reconstruct my swing because I too started to develop an occasional banana slice, caused by breaking my left elbow on the downswing. I feel your pain mate.

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2009, 09:31 PM
concentrate on keeping the right elbow in to the body. that is the only reason i ever come over the top.

razaar
6th September 2009, 10:18 PM
The golf swing for right handers is a left hand or backhand action. The machines used in testing balls etc. are one arm units on a two lever system. This lever works exactly like the left arm with a lever at the shoulder and one at the wrist. Unfortuneately we aren't strong and stable enough to use a left hand swing and control the centrifugal force of the clubhead with one arm to get consistant length and direction. Lucky for us we have another hand and arm which can act as a brace and provide the additional strength and stability necessary to perform our left handed swing. It is important that the right hand and arm only provide this function and do not alter or change the plane and function of the left arm. The right arm comes in late in the downswing with a pushing and rotational action. If it comes in any sooner the club is thrown off plane to the outside and contact with the ball will be from outside to in. The ball will take off left and will spin in the direction the clubface is pointing at contact.

terrys
7th September 2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks for commenting, Razaar.

If I think about it, I think the right arm might be dominant in my downswing thoughts - drop the hands, keep the elbow in etc. Maybe this is part of my problem.

I'll post a you tube link from a month ago if I can work out how to do it. I also took some video a few days back so I'll process that and post it as well for a comparison.

Ferrins
7th September 2009, 08:45 AM
Clear your hips and ball position.

Pieface
7th September 2009, 09:20 AM
I found a three ball drill online which has helped my to get onto an inside-out plane more frequently and cut down my slice a lot. I was hitting a lot like henno. A big slice or a straight pull to the left.

http://thegolfdrillguru.netfirms.com/nfblog/?p=332

terrys
7th September 2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks, Pie. I'll give that a try.

terrys
7th September 2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi9cGORZLsE

these swings are from about a month ago. Sorry for the light issues, dark under the roof and bright outside.

henno
7th September 2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi9cGORZLsE

these swings are from about a month ago. Sorry for the light issues, dark under the roof and bright outside.

Make the video public, dude.

terrys
7th September 2009, 10:58 AM
Make the video public, dude.

oops :oops:

should be ok now I think.

razaar
7th September 2009, 11:16 AM
Swing looks pretty sound. Left hand looks to be moving left straight after impact which means the plane of the swing has been lost coming into impact and beyond. The obvious reason is that the derotation of the forearms is not happening on the downswing and you are trying to square up the face by pulling the hands left at impact. Try concentration on hitting inside to out through impact and keep the arms very close together and extended out at the target. The follow through position you should be looking for is the right arm extended with the left elbow pointing to the ground and the left forearm (back of) in a vertical position and pointing at the target with your chest. You should be able to see the whole back of the right forearm.

Chris32
7th September 2009, 11:32 AM
I have been over coming this myself. I found the two best things were to clear my hips and try and maintain my right wrist at 90* for as long as possible.

When I'd come over the top I'd release my hands really early, and focusing on keeping that angle got me coming down on plane again

virge666
27th September 2009, 05:53 PM
Have a look face on the top of your backswing.

Is your head over your left or right hip.

Now have a look at a good player and answer the same question...

Trying to fix what the club is doing is no good when your body is not in a good basic postion - just not going to happen.

Sorry

terrys
27th September 2009, 08:56 PM
Have a look face on the top of your backswing.

Is your head over your left or right hip.

Now have a look at a good player and answer the same question...

Trying to fix what the club is doing is no good when your body is not in a good basic postion - just not going to happen.

Sorry

no need to be sorry.

Can you be a bit more specific. I've just looked at swing sequences and videos of a few reasonable players - Norman, Woods, McIllroy, Pampling, Perry, Gay, Bradley Hughes and all have slightly different head positions, ranging from centre right, to over the right hip.

My first swing is centre right, but the second is more to the left.

virge666
28th September 2009, 11:53 AM
Get your head over your right hip - OR

if you move you right hip back correctly - You can create some more angle in your right side.

The aim of the game is to get at least some kind of angle in your right side, lets see if I can show in in ASCII

o
\|
/\

The ASCII shows a bit too angle but you get the idea.

Golfnut
28th September 2009, 03:30 PM
Is this in the back swing Virge or downswing before impact or all of the above?

terrys
29th September 2009, 09:07 PM
Get your head over your right hip - OR

if you move you right hip back correctly - You can create some more angle in your right side.

The aim of the game is to get at least some kind of angle in your right side, lets see if I can show in in ASCII

o
\|
/\

The ASCII shows a bit too angle but you get the idea.

Thanks. Ascii guy is a bit hard to follow, but I think I get the idea.

razaar
29th September 2009, 09:57 PM
Something else to try which may be helpful with your swing action, its simple yet effective. At address, ensure the left arm and shaft form a straight line with the right wrist flexed. Maintain this hand position in the backswing without making any effort to rotate the forearms and let the wrists c0ck by themselves. The downswing thought is to stay behind the ball and rotate the the body to face the target. That should work OK with your action.

virge666
29th September 2009, 11:23 PM
Is this in the back swing Virge or downswing before impact or all of the above?

Top of the back swing !

I would prefer the head to be more centered than ASCII man shows though . .