PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new driver!

goughy
29th January 2005, 07:38 AM
So, what is the best way to get a new driver (dosen't really have to be 'new' as such) that fits you. I don't have many options up here for trying drivers out (especially with what I am most interested in). I also don't have a lot of time to come to brisbane to try things out. Is there a range in brissie that has lots of demo's (especially ping).

I think I know the head I'm after, but the shaft is a real issue for me. I've tried a few lately and just haven't really found anything that is right for my swing.

Is there any solution to this, or will I just have to keep trying different shafts till I get it right.

I find this very frustrating, cause my iron play is good. Infact it is saving my scores because my woods are disgusting. Hence them all being moved.

andylo
29th January 2005, 07:41 AM
Why not just pull the 757 out? If it works for you?

goughy
29th January 2005, 07:52 AM
That's why I'm searching andylo. None of the ones I've had are right for me. If it was right I wouldn't be looking.

andylo
29th January 2005, 07:56 AM
Haha... ok.

I just thought same shaft with different head would produce a sligthly result which you might like ;)

Can you describe the feeling you have on the 757 X, instead of just saying it doesn't work.... can you detail what do you hate and what do you like?

All shafts has their charateristic and I believe I can give you some 2 cent after tried so many :p

Jarro
29th January 2005, 08:00 AM
Nudgee G.C has a few demo drivers in the pro-shop.

TM, Ping (G2) Callaway, Adams,Cobra .... just make a day of it Goughy and come down and try the lot. If you let us all know when you're coming i'm sure a few of us could meet you there and let you have a hit with our drivers too 8)

doesn't hurt to try everything does it :wink:

McMw
29th January 2005, 10:02 PM
what were u using b4??? was it the Tour360???

I'll stick with Taylor Made...prob the R540XD...if you're comfortable with the shallow look...

or the Ignite....very nice driver, pull the stockie shaft ASAP...

markTHEblake
29th January 2005, 10:19 PM
Is there any solution to this, or will I just have to keep trying different shafts till I get it right.

a good clubfitter will be able to tell you which shaft you will like.

goughy
2nd February 2005, 06:53 PM
Good tips all.

Yup Mcmw, it is a 360tour model. Not the club for me. Most likely just in my head but that's the way it is.

Andylo, I'm no good at reviewing clubs and shafts. I know if I like the feel of something or if it works, but otherwise the best I can do is just whether it is ok or not. A 757x is too stiff for me, it was really put in to help sell the club.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm gonna get the time for a while yet. Things are getting more and more hectic here by the day.

Blakey hit the nail on the head. I'm kind of using a combination of past experiences and some suggestions from some pro's. The trainee at our club is really helpfull and I'm getting the odd game with him and leon at the moment. I also went to our range to have my swing speed tested to help with flex. Came out at about 105mph. The pro who tested me is the same one who has given me some lessons. He gave me one tip to work on (I'm still pivoting a little on the backswing, hence my low snap hooks).

He also let me hit his own G2 8.5* with nv65stiff (a bit too whippy for him). I am looking at going to this head in 10* with the pro launch shaft, but he feels that my trajectory is pretty good on proper swings and should stick with the 8.5* if I go the pro launch. I hit the ball too low with the nv65, as I did when I had an nv75 in the 360.

I'm using a graffaloy blue regular at the mo which is fully inserted in a neme head. The pro launch 65stiff cpm's slightly stiffer than the regular blue, but with the full insertion I'd guess they would be about the same.

So at the moment the combo I'm thinking of will be a g2 8.5* with the pro launch stiff. The pro at the range said he could do one for about $550 new. I'll just have to bide my time and see if I can move some of this stuff.

With regards to my swing speed, when I was tested at gci a year and a half ago my 5 iron was at about 83mph, which would generally have my driver speed at about mid 90's. He was a bit surprised with the jump, but when he took into consideration the swing changes that I've made with his help and especially from jaster he understood.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. If I get a chance to come down I will, but I don't see that happening for many months yet.

gazgolf1
2nd February 2005, 07:29 PM
Dean,
You could probably get a G2 in from the US for under $400.
I got mine for $400 on the nose. 8)

goughy
2nd February 2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah gaz, I know I could probably find it cheaper that way. I haven't really decided on my options yet, but I don't mind paying a few bucks more to support my local pro's, as well as keeping in good with them.

Especially since I run a local business, support the club etc. I've done some work for them too so I kind of like to keep it in the family.

What's the specs of your g2 gaz? Just interested.

McMw
2nd February 2005, 07:48 PM
if you don't like to go hard at the ball with the driver, then I would defn recommend AGAINST the Blue Stiff in any driver...
not sure how the Blue Regular plays tho...

Not saying that the Blue Stiff is no good....it's a damn great shaft...I can really swing at the ball as hard as I can, and yet have a deal of control with the driver...reallyx2 happy... :D

goughy
2nd February 2005, 08:13 PM
Don't worry mau. My current driver has a blue regular in it and it is stiff enough. I'm going on the dynacraft cpm charts for the graffaloy blue versus the graffaloy pro launch. The pro launch 65stiff cpm's only slightly stiffer than the graffaloy blue regular, so it should be similar to what I currently use. And since my blue regular is in a 2" bore it is probably playing even stiffer than that.

Really what I'm after is a higher launching shaft. The blue has a high kickpoint and the pro launch has a lower kickpoint, so it should be more like what I'm after.

gazgolf1
2nd February 2005, 08:17 PM
What's the specs of your g2 gaz? Just interested.

10 degree loft...NV-65 stiff.

Jarro
2nd February 2005, 08:28 PM
you're a brute Gaz :P

3oneday
2nd February 2005, 08:33 PM
What about a R7 TP 10.5 with a reg Speeder ?? New, of course :wink:

Pete

goughy
2nd February 2005, 08:44 PM
What about a R7 TP 10.5 with a reg Speeder ?? New, of course :wink:

Pete

Sorry mate. I'll stick with a real club :lol: :lol: Actually that will leave me with an all ping bag. Woo Hoo.

Gaz, if I was gonna go with the nv65stiff I'd be getting a 10*, but I really want to try the pro launch.

As a side note, a mate of mine has recently gotten back into golf and has joined my club. He's been a ping freak for years. He's just bought an SI3, an older model of what I'm getting. He's just bought some eye2 becu's, an older model of what I'm using. He's just got his ping scottsdale repoduction, kind of an older model of what I use. He carries it all in his 2002 model nike tour carry bag, I have the 2003 model. Is he trying to copy me in an older kind of way. It freaked us a bit the other day when we worked that out.

McMw
2nd February 2005, 11:09 PM
u ever considered the Ping Si3 380cc???

goughy
3rd February 2005, 06:52 PM
I've hit my mates 340cc si3. But I'll just end up going the g2. Just want a huge clubhead and a half decent shaft. I'm really just tossing up between the stiff and reg pro-launch.

I was smashing the neme this morning, but still with a 20mtr right block. For those of you that know city gc's 18th hole, it is quite funny aiming at the left hand side oob and just catching the edge of the right fairway.

Strangely enough, on the last couple of holes I moved my ball position a bit more forward in my stance and hit them dead straight and long. I was wondering if I was catching the ball before my swing and clubhead path was square.

Jarro
3rd February 2005, 07:10 PM
Strangely enough, on the last couple of holes I moved my ball position a bit more forward in my stance and hit them dead straight and long. I was wondering if I was catching the ball before my swing and clubhead path was square.

see, you don't need a new club after all :roll:

shite.. did i just say that :?

goughy
3rd February 2005, 08:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing jarro. But then I lost my senses again so I think I'll just ho.

goughy
4th February 2005, 10:26 PM
Well, I think my decision is made. I've had a hit at our gc with a demo snake eyes driver with a regular pro launch shaft. I think it will be the one to mate to a 8.5* g2 for me.

While it felt softer than the blue regular, it didn't feel uncontrollable. I was hitting them a bit high, but that would also have been because of te higher lofted head. I think it will go well with the 8.5*.

The trainee at our club also said since the g2's are made longer, about 45.75", if I wanted it a bit stiffer (since I'm tossing up between the stiff and regular) they could pull it out and tip it to stiffen it up, and still leave me with a 45" driver.

Works for me.

Jarro
5th February 2005, 07:00 AM
crikey Goughy, you are now officially the #1 PING man now :shock:

good luck with the new driver :wink:

goughy
5th February 2005, 08:52 AM
Cool. That'll be 13 ping clubs for me. Yay.

Don't know when I'm gonna be able to afford it tho.

Then all I need to find is a 3 wood. :roll: Hoing never stops eh, it just keeps on rolling rolling rolling on.

McMw
5th February 2005, 12:53 PM
looking for a 3wood???

dare I suggest the i3??? :wink:

Jarro
5th February 2005, 02:09 PM
looking for a 3wood???

dare I suggest the i3??? :wink:

.. naturally :roll:

goughy
5th February 2005, 04:13 PM
I can't believe you didn't say the G2 for a 3 wood.

Nah. I got no confidence with 3 woods at the mo. My g2hl will just have to suffice.

McMw
5th February 2005, 09:37 PM
the G2 fairway SUX!!!!
the i3 is much better!!!

goughy
6th February 2005, 08:26 AM
I'll take that into consideration thanks mcmw. Golfworks has a 2nd hand i3 fairway on their website.

3oneday
6th February 2005, 10:40 AM
So, assuming you already have a Ping golf bag :wink: and Ping hat :wink: , are you gunna start pushing Ping to bring back their golf ball ?? you know, the half white, half pink one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete 8)

goughy
6th February 2005, 02:21 PM
Nah, not going that far. I've got a nike bag. Ping bags don't have a putter well.

A mate of mine has just gotten back into golf and has just pretty much filled his bag with pings also. He just got his set of becu eye2's and I think they may have come with a sleeve of ping golf balls. Might have to put them into play.

goughy
11th February 2005, 05:32 PM
Well, I'm stoked.

Found out that my pro-shop may be getting in up to 5 g2 drivers in various combos as demo clubs.

Can't wait to they arrive.

Woo Hoo.

Be the first time I've ever tried a club before buying.