PDA

View Full Version : Confidence with bunker play

Ferrins
4th September 2009, 08:52 PM
I really struggle in the bunker and I'm very interested to hear from those players who have made the transition from fear to confidence out of the sand traps. And how this eventuated. I do practice but I really struggle with the this because it's the only shot in golf that you don't hit the ball. At the moment I either sky the green or leave in the bunker most times.

Ned
4th September 2009, 08:56 PM
Ask the resident Bunker poster..........Hux!:mrgreen:

henno
4th September 2009, 08:56 PM
I am a shit golfer, but bunkers have a larger margin of error (generally). I don't really get scared above the ball because I know there is a good inch or more in which I can ground the sole and still achieve a decent result. This sort of large margin for an inconsistant swing doesn't exist in most other golf shots.

In saying that, plugged balls still do my head in.

ParMaster
4th September 2009, 09:07 PM
I love bunker shots. Probably why I'm good at them is because I have alot of confidence. Keep telling yourself how good you are, even be a little cocky and see how that goes. Because if you keep thinking negative, then the result of the shot will show that.

Keep telling youself you are good.

Scottt
4th September 2009, 09:15 PM
Ask Virge. He gave me a tip at Ashlar last year that transformed my bunker play.

In short, it went something like:

1. stand a bit further away from the ball than usual.
2. ball opposite left foot, stance and clubface both slightly open.
3. Hit with a decending blow and let the sand kick the club up, don't think "lift" even after impact.

I combined that with my swing thought of my right hand and wrist moving like they do when I skip a stone on a pond and it works a treat.

henno
4th September 2009, 09:18 PM
wrist moving like they do when I skip a stone on a pond

I picked up the same tip from one of Shawn Clement's vids. ;)

ParMaster
4th September 2009, 09:34 PM
From what I've seen over the years is that people don't have a steep enough angle of attack, so maybe you should try that.

Eag's
4th September 2009, 09:39 PM
Ferrins I was having nightmares in the bunkers until recently. I had a bunker lesson to find out what I was doing wrong.
It turns out my lower half was way to active, I had the ball to far back in my stance & I was to open.
To fix the above I now have me weight 70% on my left side, ball opposite my left foot & a very quiet lower half.
My bunker play transformed on the spot 8-)

Lucasto23
4th September 2009, 10:05 PM
Ferrins what eags said and the key is steep swing in bunker, take the club outside, **** wrists early to achieve this and then just come splashing down. In practice work on taking an inch behind the ball, ensure the ball is in the same spot of your stance, and always finish your swing at the same point to start. you will adjust distance with your backswing.

Ferrins
4th September 2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. This is a love hate relationship for me.

Ferrins
4th September 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm going to Tassie in a few week and the wedge is going in the kayak and over to seven mile beach for 18 holes on the sand. Going to try and do this everyday and try to come back as Seve Jnr

Lucasto23
4th September 2009, 10:44 PM
Lekker boet ;)

grandmasterb
4th September 2009, 11:50 PM
Only thing i really make sure i remember is to open the face of the club up and then grip it rather than take my normal grip and then open it up with the hands/wrists (if that makes any sense)

Try it and you might be pleasantly surprised.

shavey
4th September 2009, 11:57 PM
Only thing i really make sure i remember is to open the face of the club up and then grip it rather than take my normal grip and then open it up with the hands/wrists (if that makes any sense).

That and be sure to accelerate through the ball. I know it's quite difficult to do when you lack confidence but you will be surprised how much easier the ball comes out.

Grunt
5th September 2009, 06:24 AM
From what I've seen over the years is that people don't have a steep enough angle of attack, so maybe you should try that.

And that would be how long? You are really starting to sound like a 15 year old with 65 years experience ;)

sms316
5th September 2009, 07:28 AM
In saying that, plugged balls still do my head in.
That plugger I copped at Pacific the other week on the 17th did my head in big time. It defied the laws of physics.

Ferrins, one word - accelerate.

Daves
5th September 2009, 09:02 AM
That plugger I copped at Pacific the other week on the 17th did my head in big time. It defied the laws of physics.

for plugged lies close the face right up and hit it like an axe, and reasonably hard. You have to pop it out.

henno
5th September 2009, 09:05 AM

That was the craziest plugged ball in history. Lucky you're a lefty or that was staying there. I am still impressed that you got it out at all.

pom
5th September 2009, 09:19 AM

That is the secret. The biggest reason that players miss bunker shots is that they do not Accelerate through he ball. All comes down to confidence really.

ParMaster
5th September 2009, 09:36 AM
And that would be how long? You are really starting to sound like a 15 year old with 65 years experience ;)

3-4 :mrgreen:

SeldomEagles
5th September 2009, 09:05 PM
That and be sure to accelerate through the ball. I know it's quite difficult to do when you lack confidence but you will be surprised how much easier the ball comes out.

That point above was a lightbulb moment for my bunker play which has improved from complete rubbish to out first time and on the green rubbish, which is still better than another swipe or 2 in the sand box. Bunker shots do not end 2 inches past where the ball is. :)

markTHEblake
5th September 2009, 09:57 PM
for plugged lies close the face right up and hit it like an axe, and reasonably hard. You have to pop it out.

and a very loose grip so the club twists around in your hands easily

but practice it first!

Pippolo
5th September 2009, 10:04 PM

Somebody watched "Secrets Of The Short Game"? :)

Daves
5th September 2009, 10:17 PM
Somebody watched "Secrets Of The Short Game"? :)

Not yet Pip, still in its wrapper for tomorrow!

Pippolo
5th September 2009, 10:24 PM
Not yet Pip, still in its wrapper for tomorrow!

Well, great tip from your own experience then!:smt038