PDA

View Full Version : GMB's stuffed back swing

grandmasterb
1st September 2009, 09:43 PM
Haven't been playing much golf of late cause of my back but thought i should put up a clip of my swing.

Have made a few changes since this but it gives you an idea of what im working with.

Any advice/feedback appreciated :mrgreen:

VbsGyBSAMvI

zacdullard
1st September 2009, 09:56 PM
Some feedback would be to try and flip the footage to make it easier to view.

Nice swing, to me it looks as if you dip at impact.

grandmasterb
1st September 2009, 10:35 PM
Sorry mate not sure whats happening there, i upload it to youtube its flipping the image for some reason and i dont have any program to change it.

I actually dip at the top of my swing and i throw my hands up/out to start the down swing rather than drop them.

grandmasterb
2nd September 2009, 09:10 AM
Anyone able to flip the video for me if i send them the file???

zacdullard
2nd September 2009, 10:51 AM
Send it to one of the mac users. Apparently they can do it with ease.

dan
2nd September 2009, 03:56 PM
Here... quality is rather crappy though.

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/swingvideo.mp4/

razaar
2nd September 2009, 05:00 PM
GMB..you have the flatest swing I have ever seen.:smt038 Your arm plane is under your shoulder plane (which isn't steep) - do you hit the ground behind the ball often? Barry Lane (UK pro) had a similar action in the 1980s which he changed in the 90s to a normal upright action.
Now the cure for your problem is to get the left thumb under the shaft at the top of the backswing, the club is supported by the left thumb. With your swing the club is supported by the left fingers. When you start your backswing keep the right elbow on the right hip (don't let it get behind you) and leave it on the hip with both thumbs moving upwards. The wrists hinge back and up so that the butt of the club points inside the ball/target line. What we are after is a left arm plane higher than the shoulder plane so there will be a separation of arm from shoulders (the arms are then free to swing away from the right shoulder and not be pushed by it). Give that a go.

grandmasterb
4th September 2009, 11:40 AM
GMB..you have the flatest swing I have ever seen.:smt038 Your arm plane is under your shoulder plane (which isn't steep) - do you hit the ground behind the ball often? Barry Lane (UK pro) had a similar action in the 1980s which he changed in the 90s to a normal upright action.
Now the cure for your problem is to get the left thumb under the shaft at the top of the backswing, the club is supported by the left thumb. With your swing the club is supported by the left fingers. When you start your backswing keep the right elbow on the right hip (don't let it get behind you) and leave it on the hip with both thumbs moving upwards. The wrists hinge back and up so that the butt of the club points inside the ball/target line. What we are after is a left arm plane higher than the shoulder plane so there will be a separation of arm from shoulders (the arms are then free to swing away from the right shoulder and not be pushed by it). Give that a go.

If you think thats flat you should of seen it before :lol:

The really strange thing is even with the "flatest swing you've ever seen" i tend to hit the ball higher than most people i play with.

I make solid contact and usually just taking a scuff mark (not really a divot) after the ball. Thanks for the advice though i'll give it ago over the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

edhannan
4th September 2009, 05:23 PM
Just posted this in Adlo's swing thread...
If you want to make your backswing a bit steeper, check out the simple tip from this Gary Edwin trained teacher:

http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tri...path-t1114.htm (http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tricks-f12/how-to-fix-your-swing-plane-path-t1114.htm)

grandmasterb
4th September 2009, 10:01 PM
Just posted this in Adlo's swing thread...
If you want to make your backswing a bit steeper, check out the simple tip from this Gary Edwin trained teacher:

http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tri...path-t1114.htm (http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tricks-f12/how-to-fix-your-swing-plane-path-t1114.htm)

Thanks for the tip but im unable to stand any taller or narrow my stance due to my back.

Will try razaars tip first and see how it goes and once i have more strength in my back and can narrow my stance again i reckon you will find i'll be standing upright more with less knee bend anyway.

grandmasterb
15th November 2009, 02:52 PM
After grinding it out on the range for a while and then finally putting your advice into practice in a round i've been able to drop 3 shots since posting the vid 2 months ago.

I still have a long way to go before i'll be happy with my setup but its getting there and im at a point where im happy with how im hitting the ball just have to work on the short game.

Once the ribs heal up i'll get a clip of the new swing to compare and "hopefully" it wont be the flattest swing you've ever seen now raz :D

grandmasterb
17th March 2010, 08:59 PM
Probably hard to tell with this pic but just wondering how far off my arms are at the top eg: i know im swinging flat but roughly how far away from "the slot" am i???

I've also noticed that I've dipped my head a little hear but i dont think its doing anything drastic???

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ben

razaar
18th March 2010, 01:06 AM
Ben

IMO your shaft looks to be very laid off. The best way to check this is to see where the butt of the shaft points at the mid point of the backswing and at the mid point of the follow through. If it points beyond the ball/target line it is said to be "laid off". I love Jim Flick's comments on being laid off - "while its not as bad as unemployment, it's close".

My suggestion is to change your takeaway movement by keeping the clubhead outside the hands for the first 2-3 feet of the backswing and try to almost brush the right thigh with the little finger of the left hand. This will keep your hands at a constant distance from your legs and put the clubhead on an inside path to the correct plane. Your present action has the distance between the hands and legs increasing during the takeaway, which directs the clubhead well to the outside of the ball/target plane. It is a good idea to learn the feel of the golf club with the shaft on a 45* angle and try for this feeling in the backswing.

The feeling is one of turn and lift, with the inside take away turning the upper body and the thumbs up position of the hands (at waist height) providing the lifting movement.

grandmasterb
19th March 2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the reply raz, i'll have a look tomorrow on the range and see if its "laid off" but i can tell you now nothing is as bad as unemployment ;)

virge666
19th March 2010, 07:51 PM
I am with Raz, You look very laid off. The way your head and neck looks sort of give it away.

Have you got a shot from the front to confirm...

razaar
19th March 2010, 08:01 PM
You can play good golf with the shaft being laid off but you have to drop your hands straight down to almost the right hip pocket with the back held to the target to get the clubhead on plane and in balance with the target line.

grandmasterb
19th March 2010, 08:47 PM
I am with Raz, You look very laid off. The way your head and neck looks sort of give it away.

Have you got a shot from the front to confirm...

Not at the moment mate, going to take some footage tomorrow on the range with how im swinging now and then try what Ray said and compare the two. I'll post it up when i do if you want to check it out.

You can play good golf with the shaft being laid off but you have to drop your hands straight down to almost the right hip pocket with the back held to the target to get the clubhead on plane and in balance with the target line.

Pretty much what is happening, atleast that's how it feels.

grandmasterb
15th May 2010, 08:19 PM
Decided its time for a complete swing overhaul so going to quit competition golf for a while till im happy and have a "consistent" swing.

Will make sure i keep this thread updated with progress.

razaar
16th May 2010, 06:18 AM
IMO there is no need to go to those lengths, not with a flat swing plane. Lots of golfers would love to have a flat swing plane because it sets up for an inside attack on the ball. The issue with a flat swing is that the golfer can lose control of the club with the left hand and thumb at the top to the right hand because the left thumb is not under the shaft to support it. This causes the clubhead to drop outside the swing plane which requires a swing adjustment at the start of the down-swing to get it back on plane.

My advice is to work on a grip where the clubface will stay square (without any twist) when you squeeze your hands and work on keeping your left hand in control of the club with the left thumb supporting the shaft throughout the backswing and transition to downswing.

grandmasterb
16th May 2010, 08:40 PM
IMO there is no need to go to those lengths, not with a flat swing plane. Lots of golfers would love to have a flat swing plane because it sets up for an inside attack on the ball. The issue with a flat swing is that the golfer can lose control of the club with the left hand and thumb at the top to the right hand because the left thumb is not under the shaft to support it. This causes the clubhead to drop outside the swing plane which requires a swing adjustment at the start of the down-swing to get it back on plane.

My advice is to work on a grip where the clubface will stay square (without any twist) when you squeeze your hands and work on keeping your left hand in control of the club with the left thumb supporting the shaft throughout the backswing and transition to downswing.

I'll try and get some footage up of the current swing and you will see where im coming from Ray.

Complete overhaul is needed IMO.

hocko
31st July 2010, 06:05 PM
Seve Ballesteros made millions with a swing like that.

grandmasterb
10th August 2010, 09:12 PM
Seve Ballesteros made millions with a swing like that.

But he could chip and putt ;)

grandmasterb
28th January 2012, 02:42 PM
Last time I touched a club roughly 4 months ago, this is the reason I've quit golf rather than "persevere" and be in pain.

http://youtu.be/s7S6hMTwXxw

grandmasterb
30th January 2012, 09:36 AM