PDA

View Full Version : TM 07 Burner v 09 Burner driver

ruud
1st September 2009, 04:07 PM
Has anyone tried both these drivers? Do you think the 09 has any significant improvement over the 07 burner?

Thinking of getting a new driver. Mate's got a 2nd hand 07 burner he is willing to sell. Was thinking whether to get a new 09 burner, a used 09 burner or my mates 07 burner.

Novice player. Plays about 5-10 times a year only.

Captain Nemo
1st September 2009, 07:38 PM
07 over the 09, hands down!
In fact if my 909 D2 goes better than my TMTBTP this fri and sat, it will be in the pro shop come monday!

PeteyD
1st September 2009, 07:41 PM
TB is not the 09 burner. Not a lot of difference in them from my experience.

Jarro
1st September 2009, 07:54 PM
'07 Burner is heaps better.

get the right shaft in it though ;)

Captain Nemo
1st September 2009, 08:03 PM
TB is not the 09 burner. Not a lot of difference in them from my experience.

Same horse, different jockey!
Mine wont last long in the shed i reckon.

Jarro
1st September 2009, 08:04 PM
The '07 version is a much better club IMO ;)

3oneday
1st September 2009, 08:12 PM
09 is fugly, 07 looks and play great.

PeteyD
1st September 2009, 08:19 PM
TP or normal? 07 TP is far superior.

Oh and the 09 is fugly, but a lot of people said that about the 07.

PeteyD
1st September 2009, 08:19 PM
Same horse, different jockey!
Mine wont last long in the shed i reckon.

I found em fairly different. No love for the Tour Burner from me at all. I thought the 09 Burner was a much better club.

Captain Nemo
1st September 2009, 08:30 PM
09 is fugly, 07 looks and play great.

:smt038:smt038:smt038
Especially yours!

Captain Nemo
1st September 2009, 08:31 PM
TP or normal? 07 TP is far superior.

Oh and the 09 is fugly, but a lot of people said that about the 07.

Ive got 07 Burner TP and 08 TB TP.
07 is the ducks nuts!:smt060

PeteyD
1st September 2009, 08:36 PM
Indeed it is.

Captain Nemo
1st September 2009, 10:09 PM
Anyone after an 08 TM TB TP?

kwantfm
1st September 2009, 10:43 PM
2007 Burner TP is one of the best drivers TM has released...

ruud
1st September 2009, 11:27 PM
OK, i'll definately borrow my mate's 07 burner for a test hit. Thanks all.

Jarro
2nd September 2009, 04:34 AM
2007 Burner TP is one of the best drivers TM has released...

Listen to this man, he's tried/owned about every driver TM has ever released :)

3oneday
2nd September 2009, 06:59 AM
R9 460 is up there ;)

goonie
2nd September 2009, 09:40 AM
R9 460 is up there ;)

You liking it 3?

I have only hit mine once, and had a dodge wrist, but it was solid and the stock shaft felt pretty good, also hit Driver on the 485m par 5 8th at carbrook to a place I hadn't been in years, and put it on the green in two with a miss hit hybrid :-). looking forward to giving it a decent hit when wrist is better.

zigwah
2nd September 2009, 09:41 AM
what is the difference between a burner and an R9?

3oneday
2nd September 2009, 09:51 AM
You probably should look at the TM website ?

Captain Nemo
2nd September 2009, 10:29 AM
:smt038

zigwah
2nd September 2009, 12:05 PM
You probably should look at the TM website ?

I should have known better to expect, any real advice here.

PeteyD
2nd September 2009, 12:50 PM
They are totally different Zig.

3oneday
2nd September 2009, 01:24 PM

I'm sorry, what the **** is it you actually want to know ? One has a moveable head, one doesn't. One has a different shape to the other, the grips are different ? Your question fits into the "how long is a pieceof string" category.

People who want to know things do a tiny bit of research themselves, rather than sponge the info in the lazy way you did.

Use the ****ing internet and learn for yourself, then fill the gaps here ? Just a suggestion.

just
2nd September 2009, 01:47 PM
Most unhelpful isn't it! Perhaps you would feel more comfortable somwhere else, where the advice is more to your liking?

I haven't tried either driver, but I'll give you an extensive review based on that:
-They are both drivers
-They are both made by Taylormade
-They both spin the ball, although the amount of spin is variable and dependent on loft, shaft and the person using it.
-They both get the ball out there (ranging from 0-300m +), although once again this is variable and dependent on loft, shaft and the person using it.
-The major point of difference I find is that one was released in 2007 and the other released in 2009. (3OD gave you a couple of the minor difference but I don't think they have as much effect on performance as this one)

So, there you have it. I hope this helps.

zigwah
2nd September 2009, 02:11 PM
ahhhh some people are slow learners i see.

zigwah
2nd September 2009, 02:15 PM
Most unhelpful isn't it! Perhaps you would feel more comfortable somwhere else, where the advice is more to your liking?

I haven't tried either driver, but I'll give you an extensive review based on that:
-They are both drivers
-They are both made by Taylormade
-They both spin the ball, although the amount of spin is variable and dependent on loft, shaft and the person using it.
-They both get the ball out there (ranging from 0-300m +), although once again this is variable and dependent on loft, shaft and the person using it.
-The major point of difference I find is that one was released in 2007 and the other released in 2009. (3OD gave you a couple of the minor difference but I don't think they have as much effect on performance as this one)

So, there you have it. I hope this helps.

Why would i go anywhere else :smt038

just
2nd September 2009, 02:16 PM
ahhhh some people are slow learners i see.
It's a bit silly to refer to yourself like that, isn't it?

zigwah
2nd September 2009, 02:19 PM
yeah

zigwah
2nd September 2009, 02:32 PM
Is this not the internet? Is this not a golf forum? I think most questions that get asked here, the answer could be found elsewhere?

So why does this joint exist? To conduct business, like a shop front but without overheads or tax?

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2009, 02:43 PM

This should clear it up:

Burner:
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50205388/Burner.jpg

R9
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3683184562_ef7ceee3b6.jpg

Yossarian
2nd September 2009, 03:12 PM
Is this not the internet? Is this not a golf forum? I think most questions that get asked here, the answer could be found elsewhere?

So why does this joint exist? To conduct business, like a shop front but without overheads or tax?

No it exists so people could ask the question.

Who has hit both the 07 Burner and the R9? Thoughts on each driver ect. That kind of info you can't get off the TM website.

Golfnut
2nd September 2009, 10:21 PM
Who has hit both the 07 Burner and the R9? Thoughts on each driver ect. That kind of info you can't get off the TM website.

Why, you thinking of becoming a TM ho Yoss? :lol:
(And yes, i've hit both)

KristianJ
2nd September 2009, 10:25 PM
R9
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3683184562_ef7ceee3b6.jpg

I got me some G.A.S now...

kwantfm
3rd September 2009, 07:11 AM
No it exists so people could ask the question.

As Jarro suggested, I'm a serial TM ho. I had an '07 Burner TP in the bag for about a year and now have an R9 TP.

Appearance
Apart from the racing themed graphics the '07 Burner TP is a superb looking head. To my eye an expanded 510 TP which I found to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing driver heads ever. R9 has that semi bullet shape but with the return to the classic black paint job it looks very classy and you stop noticing the geometry relatively quickly.

Feel
My preference is for solid feeling drivers with muted sound and a softer feel off the clubface. For reference I like the 510 TP, Nike SQ Tour and Titleist 909 D3 in terms of sound/feel. The '07 Burner TP was more metallic than the 510 but still very acceptable to my sense of feel and sound with quite a soft feel off the face. The R9 is noticeably harder feeling off the face with a very solid sound.

Performance
I don't regularly go to a launch monitor so can't provide detailed stats, this will be highly subjective. To me there is not a significant difference in ball flight (launch and spin characteristics) between the two drivers. However, the Matrix HD6 shaft in the R9 performs better for me than the stock Graphite Design I had in the '07. The Matrix feels tighter and smoother at the same time, a good combination.

So with the characteristics above, I could toss a coin and be pretty happy with either choice. Throw the Matrix in the '07 and there would be very little difference for me... except for...

Fun Factor
The R9 TP is ridiculously fun to play around with (this is probably honeymoon). I found that it performed best for me cranked 2* open (position R). This allowed me to really be aggressive from the top of the backswing down without fear of a ropey hook. I varied the face angle between neutral and 2* open and there was a huge difference in appearance, a noticeable difference in launch (both vertical and horizontal).

So all up I'm very happy with the R9. It is a great driver despite (or because of) all of the gimmicky techno wizardry that is involved.

T

Jarro
3rd September 2009, 07:15 AM
Nicely put T.

FWIW i actually prefer the look of the '07 Burner TP myself ..... something about the bullet shaped heads just doesn't butter my bread

kwantfm
3rd September 2009, 07:31 AM
Nicely put T.

FWIW i actually prefer the look of the '07 Burner TP myself ..... something about the bullet shaped heads just doesn't butter my bread

Agreed... although the R9 is much more appealing than the TMTBTPWB that I had...

just
3rd September 2009, 07:54 AM
As Jarro suggested, I'm a serial TM ho. I had an '07 Burner TP in the bag for about a year and now have an R9 TP.

Blah, blah, blah....etc, etc, etc....
No where near as good as my review, you filled it with too many facts.

Jarro
3rd September 2009, 07:54 AM
Agreed... although the R9 is much more appealing than the TMTBTPWB that I had...

Yep, totally agree there too.

kwantfm
3rd September 2009, 09:52 AM
No where near as good as my review, you filled it with too many facts.

Your's was full of facts too wasn't it?