PDA

View Full Version : Golfnuts Swing

Yossarian
31st August 2009, 11:28 PM
In HD widescreen.

Rebjon your vid is on a funny angle I have to work out how to flip it.

Jui3WC2tqno

Golfnut
31st August 2009, 11:40 PM
Not one of my best but you get the picture.....

Comments......Fire away!!!!!!

virge666
1st September 2009, 09:34 AM
Over the top.

More hip rotation earlier and less shoulders.

parlyboy
1st September 2009, 10:31 AM
i agree...although its not too bad. If you use hip turn and drive through from back leg you will get heaps more power with less effort.

Golfnut
1st September 2009, 11:00 AM
Ok.....looking at it more, it looks like i'm hitting at it (shoulders) rather than swinging through it.

Parlyboy, I find if I try to drive through from the back leg I turn the hips to early and don't get the hands through quick enough....guess I need to lead a bit more with the hands?!?!

Golfnut
1st September 2009, 11:01 AM
Yoss, did you have any footage of me hitting my irons......my driver swing (as much as it should be no different to my iron swing) is struggling a bit.

adlo
1st September 2009, 01:17 PM
Golfnut, in all honesty, your swing looks the same for all the clubs.

Golfnut
2nd September 2009, 10:00 AM
Ok then.....can someone show me when the OTT is happening cause I'm not sure what that is.

simmsy
2nd September 2009, 10:34 AM
GN, did you get my PM the other day?

Golfnut
2nd September 2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah got it mate......had no power last night so I couldn't reply.....I told my mate about your gear and he was interested BUT he said he'd have to run it past his missus.

simmsy
2nd September 2009, 11:41 AM
mate tell him you don't run anything past the missus!

tell him to set up his own bank acc that she don't know about and then you just get stuff delivered to someone elses place and then she never knows. ;)

works a treat!

Golfnut
2nd September 2009, 09:59 PM
Or just pay Caaaassshhhh!!!! And send them to Yoss's place :lol:

Golfnut
24th September 2010, 11:54 PM
Yoss, JC or Hocko.....after playing on Thursday, any feedback on the swing at all from what you saw? Driver swings weren't flash, just can't get comfortable at setup lately - hopefully my iron work looked a little better

Yossarian
25th September 2010, 12:08 AM
Complete untrained eye, but you are still flipping. Not so much on your irons/wedge shots now, although a couple of small chips you flipped like a mofo. You gotta keep those hands ahead of the clubhead.

Johnny Canuck
25th September 2010, 12:18 AM
Pretty solid, except on the longer clubs you seem to really take the hands out and across, giving the big fade.

You also tee'd up directly in front of a tree on 15, of which I have photographic proof:mrgreen:.

You are supposed to save that for 16.

Yossarian
25th September 2010, 12:26 AM
That was funny.

Golfnut
25th September 2010, 12:33 AM
Pretty solid, except on the longer clubs you seem to really take the hands out and across, giving the big fade.

You also tee'd up directly in front of a tree on 15, of which I have photographic proof:mrgreen:.

You are supposed to save that for 16.

Hahahaha....that was the only near level patch on the tee block and me trying to repreat some former glory from the last time I was oot there.

Dead on JC.....the longer clubs (3h to driver and sometimes 4h too) are the ones I'm struggling with controlling the gay fades.....I was told I was coming too far inside on the back swing so I'm trying to get my hands to follow my toe line instead, obviously something is wrong there too.

Lesson this week?

Johnny Canuck
25th September 2010, 01:05 AM
putting lessons are one thing. i am not the guy to be addressing your overall swing.

Golfnut
25th September 2010, 01:31 AM
Your kidding right........the guy who just shot 1 over at K on the fluffiest greens.....anythings gotta be better than the shit I've been reading.

Anyone good round my neck of the woods to see for a few lessons?

simmsy
25th September 2010, 08:59 AM
I think jc rates Carbon at Murdoch?

Johnny Canuck
25th September 2010, 09:32 AM
He'd be a good teacher for someone at Nuts' level. Keeps it simple, but effective.

simmsy
25th September 2010, 11:56 AM
there you go 'nut - seek out carbon, really nice bloke came across him a bit when i was a junior.

just because JC can play to near on scratch(use to atleast) doesn't make him a good teacher of mechanics for you 'nut - no offence JC!

Johnny Canuck
25th September 2010, 12:03 PM
i was the first to say it simmsy, none taken. don't forget to change our thursday group at harty.

i'll track down his number for you nut.

dan
25th September 2010, 12:26 PM
Hands look too far forward. Would like to see front on.

idgolfguy
25th September 2010, 07:22 PM
We've been done this path with 'Nut. Pay someone professional, make a commitment to them and and yourself and stop hunting around for advice from your playing partners. We have our own demons to contend with. They end up being work arounds and nothing that is going to be long term.

Contact is not even close to 70% of the time in the middle. Work with a pro on some short term and long goals and drills to help you achieve them. And then stick to the plan regardless.

IMHO!

adlo
25th September 2010, 07:40 PM
Sage words Vic.

'nut, most of us have have had stints of lessons with pro's, and we can all tell you how much it helps. Sure, we can give each other the odd pointer, but that is all it is.

You need a coach, even if it just committing to 4 lessons. They can make a plan for your game.

idgolfguy
25th September 2010, 09:01 PM

Good example of context here, GN. Dan has provided some advice that is quite legitimate. However, what cannot be determined is cause and effect. Why have your hands crept forward? What effect does hand position have on hitting the ball correctly. Some people have impact fix or forward press prior to the back swing

Then again, hand position is a stylistic function rather than technical. All a matter of perspective. There's no rule that says that you can't setup in a baseball stance to hit the ball. Perhaps a small loss in distance but at least you will be correct at the top and on plane on the downswing.

MegaWatty
25th September 2010, 09:23 PM
Love the impact fix and forward press. :)

Golfnut
25th September 2010, 10:22 PM
i was the first to say it simmsy, none taken. don't forget to change our thursday group at harty.

i'll track down his number for you nut.

Thanks JC

Dan, that's an old vid of the swing in it's earlier days....my games changed a fair bit since then.

hocko
26th September 2010, 12:02 PM
Yoss, JC or Hocko.....after playing on Thursday, any feedback on the swing at all from what you saw? Driver swings weren't flash, just can't get comfortable at setup lately - hopefully my iron work looked a little better

Nice set up GN and you did hit some solid shots.
I agree with most and would comment on your hand position.
I would like to see a bit more hip rotation rather than pushing the hips.
And stop fidgiting over the ball...if your shoes are uncomfortable then get new ones.

idgolfguy
26th September 2010, 04:19 PM
Great pickup on the shoes. Just likes the idea of the 3 stripes.

Golfnut
26th September 2010, 04:32 PM
Cheers Hocko, I think hip rotation is one of my biggest problems.

Shoes are all good, I just get into a bad habit of over tightening the laces prior to the round and obviously as the feet swell they get a bit tight.

The 4.0s really grip the turf like nothing I've ever worn before but part of my preshot routine is a bit of a foot shuffle to get comfortable and with the shoes gripping so much it does make it harder to slide the foot even a bit.

dan
26th September 2010, 07:27 PM
Dan, that's an old vid of the swing in it's earlier days....my games changed a fair bit since then.
Post a new swing to show the difference.

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2010, 09:04 PM
Post a new swing to show the difference.

Multiple angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH62-Pnh8EM

Golfnut
27th September 2010, 09:46 PM
I still don't know how on earth he actually manages to make good contact with the ball with all that stuttering.......Worse Swing Ever.

dan
27th September 2010, 10:02 PM
Multiple angles.

No diff in the swing but you look fatter and blacker.

idgolfguy
28th September 2010, 06:24 PM
That man was an elite professional athlete in a sport that involved a high level of coordination and skill.

There is just too much time to think in golf.

hocko
28th September 2010, 06:49 PM
Multiple angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH62-Pnh8EM

I didn't know he had epilepsy???????

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 07:03 PM
That man was an elite professional athlete in a sport that involved a high level of coordination and skill.

There is just too much time to think in golf.

Agreed.....which I think is Barkley's biggest hurdle, his brain.....this is a guy who should seriously think about starting again and swinging left handed.

razaar
28th September 2010, 07:11 PM
GN

You have the makings of a good swing there lad. From what I can see on the vid (which isn't much) your timing and sequencing needs lots of work. Sequencing is the ability to transfer the forces of the lower body to the upper body in a timed sequence for maximum power and efficiency. It would be worth the money to get a lesson to learn the fundamentals and the feel of what a sequenced swing is all about. Once you get the right concept your swing will improve out of sight.

idgolfguy
28th September 2010, 07:39 PM
+1

Yossarian
28th September 2010, 09:14 PM
+2 a pro will do wonders for you mate, and there aren't that many bad ones really.

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2010, 09:46 PM
Agreed.....which I think is Barkley's biggest hurdle, his brain.....this is a guy who should seriously think about starting again and swinging left handed.

It's not even thinking. It's his sub-conscious. His practice swings are smooth. He gets over the ball and can't pull the trigger. Great to watch.

MegaWatty
28th September 2010, 09:52 PM
+2 a pro will do wonders for you mate, and there aren't that many bad ones really.

Heaps around that do great drills from the latest Golf Digest!

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:12 PM
Trying to figure out who is best to go to.......I get up to Wembley at least 1once a fortnight, Colliers then same, Kwinana once a fortnight or at least every 3 weeks, GI once a month or should I go somewhere else all together?

Any recommendations? JC hasn't got back to me with his contact.

MegaWatty
28th September 2010, 10:18 PM
Coaches can be quite personal GN. You and your coach need to connect. No connection = no improvement.

Go forth and find yourself a coach young nan. :)

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.instituteofgolf.com/coaches/

You want Glenn Carbon.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:25 PM
Anyone care to start me off at least with someone they connected with.....prefer to hit off grass if possible too

I had a few lessons off Andrew Humble at Freo Public over 18 months ago, he was ok.....very simple.

Yossarian
28th September 2010, 10:27 PM
JC's post. That dude. Humble at freo is ok. I quite like how he breaks it down.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:31 PM
Ok, got his number, calling him tomorrow.

Being as good as you guys are saying, Is he normally very busy JC?....would love to get a lessons in tomorrow/this week before Mandurah.

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2010, 10:32 PM
I find post 47 to be helpful.

At Melville Golf Centre, so it will be off grass.

Yossarian
28th September 2010, 10:32 PM
Good plan a lesson a few days out from when you want to play well :D

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2010, 10:34 PM
You should be fine Nut. Try and find a time when he is not too busy (probably away from lunch hour). I had a lesson with him and he worked for an hour or so as he had nothing else on.

Ask him to see his swing. He'll take your driver, take one practice swing and hit it 250 straight as an arrow.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:42 PM
Good plan a lesson a few days out from when you want to play well :D

Yeah I know but gotta start somewhere.

idgolfguy
28th September 2010, 10:43 PM
Ok, got his number, calling him tomorrow.

Being as good as you guys are saying, Is he normally very busy JC?....would love to get a lessons in tomorrow/this week before Mandurah.

First he wants to improve via tips from mates...
Next, one lesson and then win the cash. In GN's case, it is likely.

However, don't expect overnight miracles. It'll take doing a correct action 150 times before you can reprogram a habit.

I may have been a lot slower than others. When I was practising for a musical performance, I would repeat a phrase 70 to 100 times correctly consecutively to get it ingrained before moving on to the next part. Obviously, some parts did not require that level attention. However, it was a living and you would get fined per error.

Pity I don't have that level of dedication to golf.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:43 PM
You should be fine Nut. Try and find a time when he is not too busy (probably away from lunch hour). I had a lesson with him and he worked for an hour or so as he had nothing else on.

Ask him to see his swing. He'll take your driver, take one practice swing and hit it 250 straight as an arrow.

What sort of $$$'s are we talking per hr JC?
If he can get me hitting it 250m off the tee, i'll give him my first born.

idgolfguy
28th September 2010, 10:45 PM
What sort of $$$'s are we talking per hr JC?
If he can get me hitting it 250m off the tee, i'll give him my fist born.

At least off-loading one child may give you more time for golf.

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2010, 10:47 PM
I think I paid $40 for what was supposed to be 1/2 or 3/4 hour. Pretty good by comparison to others.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:48 PM
First he wants to improve via tips from mates...
Next, one lesson and then win the cash. In GN's case, it is likely.

However, don't expect overnight miracles. It'll take doing a correct action 150 times before you can reprogram a habit.

I may have been a lot slower than others. When I was practising for a musical performance, I would repeat a phrase 70 to 100 times correctly consecutively to get it ingrained before moving on to the next part. Obviously, some parts did not require that level attention. However, it was a living and you would get fined per error.

Pity I don't have that level of dedication to golf.

I hear ya mate.....from past experience, I have been relatively quick to grasp new/different concepts or approaches so not too worried about that part.....I know any changes, no matter how small, are going to feel weird to begin with.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:50 PM
I think I paid $40 for what was supposed to be 1/2 or 3/4 hour. Pretty good by comparison to others.

Indeed....took my little boy down to Freo public on Monday arvo for a bit of fun and saw their rates as $60 per half hour, $100 for the hour so $40 seems more than reasonable.

Just watched his vid on the website and he seems like a pretty down to earth fellow.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 10:51 PM
At least off-loading one child may give you more time for golf.

:lol:

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2010, 10:53 PM
It was a couple years ago that I paid that, but I can't see him charging much more.

He's a very nice guy.

idgolfguy
28th September 2010, 10:58 PM
I hear ya mate.....from past experience, I have been relatively quick to grasp new/different concepts or approaches so not too worried about that part.....I know any changes, no matter how small, are going to feel weird to begin with.

I've seen you play some amazing shots in the past. clASS!! Or just lucky. I think it's latent talent.

Golfnut
28th September 2010, 11:17 PM
I've seen you play some amazing shots in the past. clASS!! Or just lucky. I think it's latent talent.

When I'm ON, anything is possible but the last couple of months I seem to have lost my way a bit.....confidence is low especially with the driver......thank God I can still putt.

Golfnut
29th September 2010, 11:35 PM
Carbon Booked!

He remembered you too JC.

hocko
29th September 2010, 11:45 PM
Carbon Booked!

He remembered you too JC.

How much for the half hour GN?

Golfnut
30th September 2010, 12:06 AM
Gone up to $50 now but he's doing 6 lessons for the price of 5......I'm still yet to Lowball him for cash ;)

hocko
30th September 2010, 12:17 AM
Gone up to $50 now but he's doing 6 lessons for the price of 5......I'm still yet to Lowball him for cash ;)

love your work.....give him 150 and six of us will turn up.

Golfnut
30th September 2010, 12:33 AM
love your work.....give him 150 and six of us will turn up.

Notice I didn't mention a time.....last thing I need is for the riff raff to rock up ;)

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2010, 01:07 AM
offering cash to a guy that only deals in cash. good plan.

Golfnut
30th September 2010, 01:28 AM
Maybe some beans then...from the garden.

macjackass
30th September 2010, 12:43 PM
offering cash to a guy that only deals in cash. good plan.

:lol:

Golfnut
30th September 2010, 10:46 PM
Had a very productive 1.5hr session with Glen today....addressed a lot of setup issues I was having.

Top guy Glen.....thanks JC for the recommendation......hopefully we'll catch him round these part soon too.

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2010, 10:50 PM
1.5 hours. he's awesome like that. glad to hear it went well.

Golfnut
30th September 2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah....funny thing is the time just flew by....I had no idea that much time had passed.

And yes, he hit my driver 250m after just one half power practice swing......he also mentioned he plays the same irons as me, 1 inch longer with lighter shafts.....that really threw me as he's pretty much my height and build but shit, he could get it out there.

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2010, 10:57 PM
that goes to show what a smooth, technical swing can do.

TourFit
30th September 2010, 11:18 PM
And hitting the ball in the MIDDLE of the face!

Yossarian
1st October 2010, 12:10 AM
How were you hitting it by the end GN?

TourFit
1st October 2010, 11:21 AM
GN...PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svDFoBHzM1A

razaar
1st October 2010, 11:27 AM
haha.
love it.

macjackass
1st October 2010, 11:30 AM
Would have been better if he shanked it into the camera guys nuts.

idgolfguy
1st October 2010, 11:59 AM

Mmmm...The Golfing Machine.

Old but good.

TourFit
1st October 2010, 01:05 PM
GN has enough time to quote this, word for word, between the time he addresses the ball and ACTUALLY hits it...

razaar
1st October 2010, 01:06 PM
Anzac - a minute silence.

Yossarian
1st October 2010, 01:07 PM
This is probably half as much as fit talks in between green and next teebox.

macjackass
1st October 2010, 01:08 PM
GN has enough time to quote this, word for word, between the time he addresses the ball and ACTUALLY hits it...

Too much analysis is causing some paralysis (or something like that)

Golfnut
2nd October 2010, 12:04 AM

'Fit, why are you showing me this? This is already part of my preshot routine!

Golfnut
2nd October 2010, 12:17 AM
How were you hitting it by the end GN?

Hard to say really.....in a word "better"......pretty straight with a slight draw but trying to groove the things we were changing had me swinging 100x better but not making great contact. The shots that got away were awesome.

The focus was on setup & grip firstly and then club/ball position (grooved that pretty quick), after that it was mainly on release & follow through. The follow through is something I seemed to have lacking in clubs that I'm not hitting confidently and this was only making the slice problems even worse as there was limited/late release happening.

The main part of the end of the lesson was focused on trying to lose some of the tension in my right arm which is the main cause for the lack of release and hence slicing in the long irons and fairways.....this is something I will have to work on a lot by the look of it but as confidence returns with those clubs, this will happen more naturally. Glen spun out because my short iron (up to 6i) work was near spot on but as soon as he handed me a 5 iron, everything went south. A few setup changes had a big impact on ball flight improvement.

MegaWatty
2nd October 2010, 12:34 AM
Interesting. I read an article in AGD or GA that recommends the use of hybrids as high as a 5 or 6 iron! There was recently a senior that won an event and from memory his first iron was a 7 iron. I can't remember the exact details and I can't be stuffed hunting it down.

Food for thought.

idgolfguy
2nd October 2010, 09:58 AM
Interesting. I read an article in AGD or GA that recommends the use of hybrids as high as a 5 or 6 iron! There was recently a senior that won an event and from memory his first iron was a 7 iron. I can't remember the exact details and I can't be stuffed hunting it down.

Food for thought.

You get that set configuration with pink shafts and heads that look like mallet putters.

Nuffie
13th November 2010, 03:50 PM
You get that set configuration with pink shafts and heads that look like mallet putters.

Yep, thats my gilfriends set of clubs (PGF's to raise money for breast cancer , hence the pink graphite shafts).

Keep at it GN, I've got things to change in my swing that are going to work for the better. We all have something to work on, no matter what level we are...

Nuffie
18th November 2010, 08:17 PM
GN, how did the lesson go?

Golfnut
21st November 2010, 01:43 PM
Sorry Nuff...missed this.

Lesson went well as per post #88 but i've not been able to play enough golf lately to say whether there's been any real improvement or not......in saying that I played 9 holes at K-town a few thursdays back and shot 6 over off the members tees which is my best ever, parring the last 3 holes was nice ;)
The setup and grip change have helped immensely, I've combined that with quiet hands and less arms (trying to use the "Here and Here" method from the Gary Player lesson virge posted up) and I feel like I'm striking the ball a lot better.

Played K-town again on Tuesday with my brother having not touched a club for 2 weeks......started off very rusty and I was rushing my swing too much. Playing off 15 h'cap I had 29pts with 3 wipes which were all in the first 3 holes while I was trying to get back into some swing rhythm......not sure what to take from that but if I excluded the first 3 holes I was averaging 1.9pts per hole.

I hope to get one round per week in over summer but they way my work load is looking, this may not be possible.

Golfnut
19th June 2011, 11:22 PM
Latest offering.....(sorry about the small size of vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik6FnJy9YaI

not my best swing of the day but got an ok result.

Can the more learned see much of a difference from the vid in the first post that was taken quite some time ago to now......in other words, have I improved?
To me it looks a little bit better, better drive from the back foot, still not sure I'm getting enough from the hips though.

Will try put a few more swings up in the coming weeks.

MegaWatty
19th June 2011, 11:26 PM
You look like you're standing closed. That may be the camera angle.

Get that arse out like Beyoncè. ;)

Golfnut
19th June 2011, 11:34 PM
You look like you're standing closed. That may be the camera angle.

Get that arse out like Beyoncè. ;)

I was aiming down the RHS to cut some of the corner out of the hole....

Watched her concert last night on BD funnily enough so I getcha baby....good point though, I do normally make a point when I'm setting my stance to get the ass out but like I know I was getting tired by this hole at Rocko (think it was 17) so got a bit lazy.

MegaWatty
19th June 2011, 11:36 PM
Try 'bumping' your hip forward to start your downswing.

TourFit
20th June 2011, 12:18 AM
That is MUCH improved 'Nut...well done.

However, it looks like you are a little far away (and reaching for it). Just keep everything the same but move closer to the ball about 2" or so with your feet. It'll also help to relax the arm muscles too.

Golfnut
20th June 2011, 12:23 AM
Noticed that too 'Fit when I watched the vid for the 1st time......was a real eye opener.........will try getting closer to it in future.

MegaWatty
20th June 2011, 12:26 AM
I'm still not convinced with your setup. Perhaps your feet are down the line, but your shoulders are open? I can't work it out, but there is something there that is making look a like your turning too far through it.

TourFit
21st June 2011, 09:26 PM
Feet straight...shoulders open. Something possibly wrong with the alignment...?

What side hip do you carry all those kids on 'Nut?

Golfnut
21st June 2011, 10:44 PM
Noticed that too 'Fit when I watched the vid for the 1st time......was a real eye opener.........will try getting closer to it in future.

FAIL.....hit driver like absolute crap today despite playing 1 shot off my 'cap......I tried getting a bit closer to the ball but just felt cramped, I was hitting it out of everywhere but the middle including a shank and a couple of sky balls!

In my normal driver setup I don't feel like I'm over reaching so I'll go back to this as it doesn't seem to be having any ill affect on my driving (quite the opposite actually).

Golfnut
21st June 2011, 10:45 PM
Feet straight...shoulders open. Something possibly wrong with the alignment...?

What side hip do you carry all those kids on 'Nut?

Both.....nah, I'm week as piss when it comes to carrying kids for long periods.....the women seem to be able to hang 'em off the side for ages.

TourFit
21st June 2011, 11:17 PM
They're used to carrying some extra torso weights anyway...

Yossarian
21st June 2011, 11:20 PM
So you were good at carrying kids?

Golfnut
22nd June 2011, 12:43 AM
Snap!

Progolfgear
1st July 2011, 09:15 AM
From one swing on one angle, I can tell you:

Your grip in the right hand looks to be a bit strong, this is also evident during the takeaway when paused at the point of the club being parralel with the ground - At this point you can see the right arm looks like it gets stuck (probably from trying to keep the right elbow in but with a conflicting grip).

If you were seeing me for a lesson I would have you setup a fraction closer to the ball (with driver, since this is the only swing I have seen), ideally, the arms should hang from the shoulders, creating almost a 'preset' wrist hinge in the left hand, which, I am guessing there is not at setup. This preset hinge somewhat encourages a correct hinge which will in turn square up the clubface at the top of the swing (currently it looks a bit closed).

The closed position at the top of the swing is counter-productive in that the only place to go from there is to open the clubface back up, hence the casting type downswing, cutting accross the ball a little while opening up the clubface.

Lastly I will point out that your rotation in the shoulder starts after the arms take the club away and the shoulders never really catch up, hence you tend to under-rotate on the way back and over-rotate on the way back down (also contributing to an out to in club path).

Progolfgear
1st July 2011, 09:19 AM
FAIL.....hit driver like absolute crap today despite playing 1 shot off my 'cap......I tried getting a bit closer to the ball but just felt cramped, I was hitting it out of everywhere but the middle including a shank and a couple of sky balls!

In my normal driver setup I don't feel like I'm over reaching so I'll go back to this as it doesn't seem to be having any ill affect on my driving (quite the opposite actually).

I just noticed this after my post. Keep in mind, the golf swing is a bit like a perfect jigsaw puzzle, all pieces need to work together. For your swing to work with a 'closer to the ball' setup, try feeling like you are pressing your left hand toward the groung, almost like you are trying to let the toe of the club come off the ground instead of keeping the shaft in the same plane regardless of how far from the ball you are. This will create the 'preset hinge' that I mentioned, which will encourage further hinging and hopefully give you better results.

Golfnut
1st July 2011, 10:37 PM
I just noticed this after my post. Keep in mind, the golf swing is a bit like a perfect jigsaw puzzle, all pieces need to work together. For your swing to work with a 'closer to the ball' setup, try feeling like you are pressing your left hand toward the groung, almost like you are trying to let the toe of the club come off the ground instead of keeping the shaft in the same plane regardless of how far from the ball you are. This will create the 'preset hinge' that I mentioned, which will encourage further hinging and hopefully give you better results.

Thanks Progolfgear.....this last post helped me understand what you were trying to explain in the previous post.....this will take some time to groove for me. The shoulder rotation before the arms is something I had no idea was wrong, might be time for another lesson I'm thinking.

Progolfgear
2nd July 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks Progolfgear.....this last post helped me understand what you were trying to explain in the previous post.....this will take some time to groove for me. The shoulder rotation before the arms is something I had no idea was wrong, might be time for another lesson I'm thinking.

No problems Golfnut.

I doubt it would take too much practice along with a lesson or two to get a few drills going.

Golfnut
3rd April 2012, 12:07 PM
Fallen in to a bit of a hole with the swing since the win at Royal Freo a couple months back......Friday's 9 holer at Ktown was the pits and the last straw!

Problems I feel I have are:
Setup
Too wider stance with mid irons
Pathetic takeaway (swing destroyer)
Too stronger right hand
Too much head movement
Confidence is almost gone which is killing tempo.

Been to the range over at Murdoch Pines a couple of times since (never new this place existed 5 mins from my place) and been working on my take away as I feel this is where my swing has been falling apart.

Looked through a range of tips for improving the takeaway and a light switched on after watching the "one piece takeaway" drill. Thinking back to when I was hitting the ball more consistently and this is what I was doing so have gone back to this over the last couple of range sessions and I am seeing great improvement in flight, distance and impact. It actually felt very strange at first but I think over the past 9 months I've been getting more and more handsy on the takeaway...this was highlighted in Progolfgear's post.

Initially, I found myself hitting massive hooks with the one piece takeaway due to too stronger grip with the right hand so I played around with this and got to a nice setup hitting it fairly straight with a slight draw. The one piece takeaway seems to promote an 'in to out' swing path which is great.

I also found I was hitting a few fat shots ,then thin shots as I tried to compensate......for me head movement is the problem. Through the swing if I could feel my head move forward or down slightly, the results was a big fatty.......likewise if the head came up a bit, thinned shot. (obvious I know but I had lost an awareness that I was doing this)
I worked on keeping the head as still as possible from back swing through to transition and the results were excellent.

So things are looking promising, now winter's approaching I have more time to spend at the range so I'm going to try make this at least a weekly thing after work. Not sure My body can handle more than one a week anyway, I am sore as **** after the last 2 sessions with a large bucket. Anyone end up getting in touch with Carbon for lessons SOR?

Golfnut
11th April 2012, 10:25 AM
Tracked down Carbon, he's looking for a new home which will be sorted in the next couple of weeks.

Got a lesson with him tomorrow arvo to get my shit sorted.

Johnny Canuck
11th April 2012, 05:23 PM
Where you having it?
Tell him I will be in touch for our Sunday morning game. Just been super busy.

Golfnut
11th April 2012, 05:42 PM
Will do.

Lessons at a Private location near my way in Bibra Lake.

Johnny Canuck
11th April 2012, 05:43 PM
Cool. Good luck. He spoke highly of your improvements last time.

Yossarian
11th April 2012, 06:16 PM
Will do.

Lessons at a Private location near my way in Bibra Lake.

Private location, sounds sexy.

Golfnut
11th April 2012, 06:44 PM
Down by the lake too ;)

Shadesy
11th April 2012, 07:02 PM
Down by the lake too ;)

Golf park next to adventure world?

Golfnut
11th April 2012, 07:22 PM
Golf park next to adventure world? What so I'm not the first he's taken down there?

Shadesy
11th April 2012, 07:37 PM
What so I'm not the first he's taken down there?

No I go down there every now and again, but you cant hit more than a wedge really! Max 7 iron if your lucky!

Ashes
11th April 2012, 08:37 PM
Is that the old chip and putt just to the south and other side ofnthe road to adventure world? That's where my dad taught me to play golf as a little kid (that and the defunct Maddington track).

Johnny Canuck
11th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Be vary if he shows up in a white van.

idgolfguy
11th April 2012, 09:47 PM
GN, when he please text his number as I'm interested in three or four lessons too.

Golfnut
11th April 2012, 10:48 PM
No I go down there every now and again, but you cant hit more than a wedge really! Max 7 iron if your lucky!

That's a worry.....6 & 5i are giving me the most trouble.

Golfnut
11th April 2012, 10:49 PM
Text sent ID.

idgolfguy
12th April 2012, 12:14 AM
Thanks mate