View Full Version : SAFIN

Trung
28th January 2005, 12:37 AM
its 12.36am... Great Game.

=D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D>

McMw
28th January 2005, 12:41 AM
wats the score???

I assume Safin won the 4th, coz 90 mins ago, he was one game away (ferderer to serve) from 4 set loss...

Ona
28th January 2005, 01:26 AM
Safin won it, if you dont already know. 9-7 in the 5th (i think)

<-- couldnt decide who to barrack for :?

Jarro
28th January 2005, 06:27 AM
WOW. :shock:

that's a great result for Safin.

Federer was "the man" to beat for sure .... so he must have really played awesome tennis to beat him. From what i saw early in the match Federer looked a little off his game, missing some pretty straight-forward winners by a fair margain :?

Onewood
28th January 2005, 07:52 AM
Top 4 in the world getting through, :shock: how many times has that happened...

it took Stafin awhile to get going but then he just hung in there.....He saved a Match point in the 4th set tie breaker 8) then it took him till the seventh match point to win [-o<

Tonights should be a ripper

GO HEWITT :P

AndyP
28th January 2005, 09:36 AM
1995 was the last time, I think I heard.

Federer's loss really opens up the door for Hewitt to win the Championship. Hewitt can beat Roddick and Safin, but Federer has him in all sorts of trouble. Fingers crossed that Lleyton isn't too buggered. [-o<

Go little Lleyton!

3oneday
28th January 2005, 10:14 AM
Go little Lleyton!
Little 180 cm Lleyton ??? amazing isn't it, he looks so small yet is basically 6 foot, according to todays paper anyways.....

Pete

Fishman Dan
28th January 2005, 10:16 AM
Go little Lleyton!
Little 180 cm Lleyton ??? amazing isn't it, he looks so small yet is basically 6 foot, according to todays paper anyways.....

Pete

Who's talking height here?? :roll:

Iain
28th January 2005, 03:27 PM

It was 1988. Pat Cash (4), Mat Wilander (3), Stefan Edberg (2) and Ivan Lendl (1)

AndyP
28th January 2005, 03:38 PM

It was 1988. Pat Cash (4), Mat Wilander (3), Stefan Edberg (2) and Ivan Lendl (1)
Was that for the Aus Open?
Brucey was probably talking about the top 4 going through for any Grand Slam for 1995.

Iain
28th January 2005, 03:59 PM

Was that for the Aus Open?
Brucey was probably talking about the top 4 going through for any Grand Slam for 1995.

Yes, for the Aus Open in 88. '95 was Wimbledon - Agassi (1), Sampras (2), Becker (3) and Ivanisevic (4)

AndyP
28th January 2005, 04:16 PM
Bloody Hell, Iain, where are you pulling this stuff from? :shock:

And could you please tell me the seed numbers of the players that made the 1987 Wimbledon quarter finals? ;)

Aus Open
:-k Wilander v Cash final with the Swede winning?

'95 was Wimbledon - Agassi (1), Sampras (2), Becker (3) and Ivanisevic (4)
Sampras beat Ivanisevic in the final :?:

They're my educated guesses anyway.

Iain
28th January 2005, 05:28 PM
Bloody Hell, Iain, where are you pulling this stuff from? :shock:
If you ask nicely I will tell you!!!!!!! :wink:

And could you please tell me the seed numbers of the players that made the 1987 Wimbledon quarter finals? ;)

Pat Cash (11), Mat Wilander (3), Jim Connors (7), S Zivojinovic (-), Stefan Edburg (4), A Jarryd (-), Ivan Lendl (2), H Leconte (9)

Aus Open
:-k Wilander v Cash final with the Swede winning?
Yes, Cash beat Lendl 6-4, 2-6, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 in the Semi. Wilander beat Edburg 6-0, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 in the other Semi.

With Wilander winning the final - 6-3, 6-7, 3-6, 6-1, 8-6

'95 was Wimbledon - Agassi (1), Sampras (2), Becker (3) and Ivanisevic (4)
Sampras beat Ivanisevic in the final :?:
Nope, Sampras beat Becker - 6-7, 6-2, 6-4, 6-2

They're my educated guesses anyway.
It was a good effort.

terryand
28th January 2005, 05:41 PM
Iain you are kickin butt with these stats :wink:

APhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/kickbut.gifIain

:smt046 http://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

Terry.

Iain
28th January 2005, 05:47 PM

Terry.

Thank you, thank you very much...... :smt109 :smt109

Iain
28th January 2005, 05:51 PM

Pat Cash (11), Mat Wilander (3), Jim Connors (7), S Zivojinovic (-), Stefan Edburg (4), A Jarryd (-), Ivan Lendl (2), H Leconte (9)

In case you are interested, it was Slobodan Zivojinovic, Anders Jarryd, and Henri Leconte.

Anything else?? 8)

Golfgirl
29th January 2005, 04:48 PM

Terry.

love the emoticon Tez, just love it.... :lol:

Trung
30th January 2005, 10:42 PM
Great Game.

Congrats M. Safin 8) .. Bad luck LH :oops:

damoocow
31st January 2005, 12:18 AM
perhaps we would have done better with Brad Hogg as the tennis finalist - no hang on he went for 7 an over - same result I guess - both losers !!

damoocow

Jarro
31st January 2005, 06:16 AM
too big, too strong, too good on the night.

Safin showed great discipline once he managed to get his nose in front.

3oneday
31st January 2005, 07:27 AM
Maybe this should be in the other thread, but I am sure Lleyton only said C'mon last night when Safin missed ???? not when Lleyton hit a winner ??? Is there something to this sportmanship issue, or is it just mind games ???

Pete

AndyP
31st January 2005, 10:17 AM
Maybe this should be in the other thread, but I am sure Lleyton only said C'mon last night when Safin missed ???? not when Lleyton hit a winner ??? Is there something to this sportmanship issue, or is it just mind games ???
So if Lleyton chases down balls all over the court, puts in a great effort to get them back, but the point is won because Safin missed, he is not entitled to be pumped? Fair go. :shock:

-----------

Iain, you must tell me the website where you are getting these stats? Please? ;)
I don't think it is the ATP Tennis site, or is it? :?

3oneday
31st January 2005, 10:35 AM
So if Lleyton chases down balls all over the court, puts in a great effort to get them back, but the point is won because Safin missed, he is not entitled to be pumped? Fair go. :shock: missed my point I think, were there any "c'mon's" when he hit a clean winner ?? or are you saying he is more pumped by chasing around the court than hitting a clean winner :D :wink:

Oh, by the way, is that when you should intimidate the linesman as well :P :lol:

Pete

AndyP
31st January 2005, 10:43 AM
So if Lleyton chases down balls all over the court, puts in a great effort to get them back, but the point is won because Safin missed, he is not entitled to be pumped? Fair go. :shock: missed my point I think, were there any "c'mon's" when he hit a clean winner ?? or are you saying he is more pumped by chasing around the court than hitting a clean winner :D :wink:
There were definitely "Come On"s after winners. The problem was that he didn't have that many winners. Lleyton's game relies on continually getting the ball back until the opposition makes an error.
It's not like Lleyton would play a mishit that goes in, which the oppostion hits into the net, then gives a big "Come on".

3oneday
31st January 2005, 11:11 AM
Andippy,

Probably right, I was a bit disappointed after the linesman thing, and personally lost a bit of interest :( .

Pete

AndyP
31st January 2005, 12:15 PM
Probably right, I was a bit disappointed after the linesman thing, and personally lost a bit of interest :( .
I was disappointed too. I agree with what Jim Courier said last night. It's a shame he can't control some of those outbursts towards the officials, so he doesn't have fans turning away from him.

Although it is a bit the same with Safin. It is just accepted now, that he is going to have a bit of a racquet smash.

BTW, anyone else think that Jim Courier has been a great commentator this summer?

Fishman Dan
31st January 2005, 12:29 PM
BTW, anyone else think that Jim Courier has been a great commentator this summer?

JC was good value, but he was getting boring by the end of it all. He basically self-assumed the mantle of the quintissential authority of tennis. He became very Ogle-like.

I wonder what happened to McEnroe. I much preferred his commentary during previous Aus Opens.

Although JC's spat with John Alexander during the quarters/semis (?) was great, when they were discussing the drop-shot being executed repeatedly. The risk/reward of tennis. It was a real "last word" kinda bickering - the clincher was;

JA: Need a lawyer?
JC: Not yet...

(ie - "One more word and i'm going to smash you...")

Iain
31st January 2005, 04:56 PM
Iain, you must tell me the website where you are getting these stats? Please? ;)
I don't think it is the ATP Tennis site, or is it? :?

Indeed it is Andy. Just go to tournements on the left, then results archive. All the stats are in there.

Jarro
31st January 2005, 05:21 PM

absolutely the best 8) left all the aussie commentators for dead. Plus i thought his interviews with the players were really good, not a lot of crap questions .... but really interesting stuff.

Who said they want McEnroe back :evil: :P

Fishman Dan
31st January 2005, 06:19 PM
I loved that spat. JC said he was surprised JA took such a conservative stance. Then JA continued to throw the word "conservative" in for the next 20 minutes. Courier really must have struck a nerve.

That's the one - and for each of the semi's / finals to finish the tournament off, at least one or the other would drop the 'C' word, often to the other's amusement. You could almost hear Bruce Mc gasp with expectancy.....

AndyP
1st February 2005, 10:44 AM
I'd put my money on JC in a stink....JA gives me the impression of a big girl.
JA is captain of the Australian women's Federation Cup team. ;)