PDA

View Full Version : Senecio's Swing

senecio
27th January 2005, 08:35 PM
Be kind!! :D

Sorry about the file size. No idea how to compress them.

Deleted 1.0MB

Deleted 1.35MB

Ryan

Onewood
27th January 2005, 08:51 PM
Very cool 8) hey pal did you win the car for a hole in one on offer there :lol:

Left arm bends a little too much :roll:

senecio
27th January 2005, 08:52 PM
What car?

What Hole in One?

Ryan

Onewood
27th January 2005, 08:55 PM
What car?

What Hole in One?

Ryan

It looks like a BLUE UTE on offer :D thats what there usually for, when they put them near the tee like that :roll: :D

senecio
27th January 2005, 08:58 PM
Oh silly me. :oops:

I usually have the radio going if the practise fairway is empty.

Ryan

Roc
28th January 2005, 10:10 PM
Mate
i,'d choose your golf buggy any day. :smt098
Yours Roc

senecio
19th September 2009, 06:02 PM
Take it easy on me, I know its not pretty???

How can I stop taking it back so far on the inside when anything else feels un-natural?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBNDeHSJpcE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBNDeHSJpcE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

goonie
19th September 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm no swing guru but I think I have spoted a few things.
-Your shoulders look like they are aiming left of your feet which may cause you to take the club back on the inside to compensate for the misalignment, or the club is just following the line of your feet.
-Also looks like you are releasing the club early and flipping threw impact. That behind shot looks like the ball started left (Shoulder line), was that the intended line? where did it go? Straight, left.....
Posture from behind and setup from the front look preety good to me.

razaar
19th September 2009, 07:53 PM
senecio...your takeaway is what is referred to as a rolling action. The forearms start rolling almost immediately at the start of the takeaway which is the same issue that Adlo has. When the clubhead reaches the top it has rolled open 20 to 30 degrees more than a clubhead in a square position. A square position at the top has the clubface square to the swing plane and 90 degrees to the address position. Looking at your follow through position you are not squaring up the face at contact. You need to make an effort in the final stages of the downswing to rotate the the arms in a anticlockwise direction to make up for the additional rotation of the clubface at the top. The derotation can't occur at the start of the downswing for obvious reasons. I would suggest that you practice a feeling of the right forearm over the left in a scissors arrangement at hip high past impact to get the feeling of the correct follow position for your present swing. You may find that shots start going left, so you will need to change your swing path into the ball to an inside path to get a consistant shot pattern.

senecio
19th September 2009, 08:09 PM
You may find that shots start going left,

They already go left, then further left, and when they're finished, they go left again.

How do I stop the rolling at the start of the takeaway?

razaar
19th September 2009, 08:32 PM
It is going left and then left because your swing path is out to in and the left wrist is hinging back on itself through impact closing the face.

Take the club back by turning the chest to the right not by the hands and arms. This relates only to your swing. Keep the triangle of the arms (established at address) to hip high and let the folding of the right elbow rotate the forearms as the arms move upwards. That is all you have to do to get to the square position at the top. The 90 degree turn of the clubface on its way to the top is 30* rotation of the forearms throught the folding of the right elbow and 60* through turning the shoulders 90* and lifting the arms.

sms316
19th September 2009, 08:50 PM
To decipher the dictionary that Razaar swallowed;

Turn with your sternum, trying to keep your hands directly in front of your chest.

Bend your right arm slightly. This will square up your shoulders.

senecio
20th September 2009, 08:18 AM
I appreciate the comments Razzar (and the translation SMS). I now have something to work on at the range instead of just pointlessly belting balls.

Are there any drills to help create the right movements, or is it just the swing thought of keeping the hands in front of the chest?

sms316
20th September 2009, 08:30 AM
Put something on the ground in front of you to the right. Rehearse the club head passing over it in your sight line. If you roll your start you will pass inside of it, instead of extending out over it.

Hope that makes sense.

razaar
20th September 2009, 11:17 AM
I reckon your best bet is to stay with your present backswing and work on your downswing. When you get on the course you are going to swing it back the same way as in the video, just out of habit. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing now, plenty of great golfers play like that - Fred Couples comes to mind as one who is a roller. Ben Hogan was another. Both lower the hands down behind them on the downswing.

The real trick is clubface control getting the clubface square to the line at impact and squaring up the swing path to the line at impact. In your swing there will be more roll which adds to clubhead speed and will give you more power. It just has to be under control and pointing in the right direction. Because the downswing happens so quick, from 0 to 100 mph in less than half of a second we have to rely on our follow through positions to tell us what we have done through impact. It stands to reason that by pre-programing our follow through positions before the shot we can get more clubface control at impact. My suggestion is to do a few practice movements rehearsing the follow through from the ball position to above shoulder height (forget about backswing) and only think of getting in the right follow through positions during the backswing and downswing. It works for me.

senecio
20th September 2009, 06:12 PM
Put something on the ground in front of you to the right. Rehearse the club head passing over it in your sight line. If you roll your start you will pass inside of it, instead of extending out over it.

Hope that makes sense.

Yep, that makes sense to me. I'll give it a go. Is that a little like the one that Ossie Moore described with a shaft stuck in the ground on the swing plane? Sounds like it has similar purpose.

I reckon your best bet is to stay with your present backswing and work on your downswing. When you get on the course you are going to swing it back the same way as in the video, just out of habit. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing now, plenty of great golfers play like that - Fred Couples comes to mind as one who is a roller. Ben Hogan was another. Both lower the hands down behind them on the downswing.

The real trick is clubface control getting the clubface square to the line at impact and squaring up the swing path to the line at impact. In your swing there will be more roll which adds to clubhead speed and will give you more power. It just has to be under control and pointing in the right direction. Because the downswing happens so quick, from 0 to 100 mph in less than half of a second we have to rely on our follow through positions to tell us what we have done through impact. It stands to reason that by pre-programing our follow through positions before the shot we can get more clubface control at impact. My suggestion is to do a few practice movements rehearsing the follow through from the ball position to above shoulder height (forget about backswing) and only think of getting in the right follow through positions during the backswing and downswing. It works for me.

I understand what you're saying Razzar, but I'm keen to make some real improvements in my swing. I've been applying band-aid fixes for years. Sticking with my current flawed backswing and trying to make things right on the through swing just sounds like I'm not addressing the real problem.

Wish me luck and stay tuned for the next update

virge666
20th September 2009, 09:46 PM
I am with SMS - Stick stuff in the way.

Jono had a good drill using his stand bag a a swing guide.

edhannan
20th September 2009, 10:01 PM
Good tip here to correct a backswing that is too far inside:
http://www.golfrepublic.org/tips-tricks-f12/how-to-fix-your-swing-plane-path-t1114.htm

razaar
20th September 2009, 10:07 PM
Yep, that makes sense to me. I'll give it a go. Is that a little like the one that Ossie Moore described with a shaft stuck in the ground on the swing plane? Sounds like it has similar purpose.

I understand what you're saying Razzar, but I'm keen to make some real improvements in my swing. I've been applying band-aid fixes for years. Sticking with my current flawed backswing and trying to make things right on the through swing just sounds like I'm not addressing the real problem.

Wish me luck and stay tuned for the next update
Good luck which ever way you go, at least you have something to work on. Remember the important part is the downswing. Having a square position at the top is no guarantee that you will be square at impact, and you will still have to work on the through swing and follow through. Keep in mind that the follow through plane needs to be a mirror image of the backswing plane with less space for the left arm. The left arm should do what the right did during the backswing with less room to work with and at speed for a square to square swing.