PDA

View Full Version : Found - What Irons next

goonie
29th August 2009, 04:23 PM
I am looking for an easy to hit set of Players Cavs as a backup set, I like my Maxfli A10 TL's, they are a combo set shallow cavs and blades 8-PW. My TM TP's are great irons but are to similar to the A10's and the A10's are more workable and the short iron blades hit the ball lower than the TP's.

The TP's should be gone by the end of the weekend so I am looking for a replacement set. After Virge's X20 Tour thread I have been thinking they may fit the bill. I checked out the the X22 Tours but they look to be very similar in size or even smaller than the TP's and I didn't really like the way they sat at address, Ping S57,58s might be ok, but will the be much more forgiving than the TP's? plus the S57s might be to expensive ATM. Only 2 main critera, no shovels and not a lot of offset. ie GC mids - too much offset in the long irons.

Going to try Virge's S58's and fit KBS's to them.

adlo
29th August 2009, 04:27 PM
What about the TM Burners that Nuclear One goes on about?

The Cally Diablo irons look beautiful too.

goonie
29th August 2009, 04:30 PM
What about the TM Burners that Nuclear One goes on about?

The Cally Diablo irons look beautiful too.

Burners are to big and to much offset, diablos have too much offset too. but aren't too bad looking from address otherwise.

adlo
29th August 2009, 04:32 PM
Geez, those Diablo's have bugger all offset. You must be looking for next to no offset then.

goonie
29th August 2009, 05:14 PM
Geez, those Diablo's have bugger all offset. You must be looking for next to no offset then.

it's that they have the same offset right threw to the PW, it might be a little more than i like in a long iron, but is way to much in the short irons. I only like a couple of mm's max in the long irons, and next to none in the short irons.

TheNuclearOne
29th August 2009, 07:02 PM
I don't think the X-20's will have less offset than the TB's.

cobra
29th August 2009, 07:07 PM
Srixon I 701 Tour
Minimal off set
thin top line
cavity blade

even look at the i-506 if dollars are an issue

KristianJ
29th August 2009, 08:10 PM
Srixon I 701 Tour
Minimal off set
thin top line
cavity blade

My first thought too...even the regular 701s aren't too bad, although with the 3 iron you can see a tiny bit of the cavity back at address. Pretty easy to hit - I haven't tried one of the Tours as yet though.

virge666
29th August 2009, 08:18 PM
My S58 heads are up for sale mate - A set of heads for $300 if you are up for it...

Otherwise a set of MP60, the older TM TP2 are a cracker of a club.

goonie
29th August 2009, 08:28 PM
I don't think the X-20's will have less offset than the TB's.

X20 tours, they would have a fair bit less I would think.

virge666
29th August 2009, 08:29 PM

WAY LESS !! Not a bit . . . WAY WAY WAY less.

goonie
29th August 2009, 08:30 PM
Srixon I 701 Tour
Minimal off set
thin top line
cavity blade

These would be to close to the A10's, maybe the non tour I-701's

virge666
29th August 2009, 08:33 PM
These would be to close to the A10's, maybe the non tour I-701's

If you are use to low offset models - it is hard to use huge sole, big offset clubs.

All you need is the perimeter weighting - you hit the ball first so a smaller sole and little offset is an advantage.

701 Tours are a bit small and "blocky" How about i10 or i5. CCI Forged and victory cavs. ?

goonie
29th August 2009, 08:35 PM
My S58 heads are up for sale mate - A set of heads for $300 if you are up for it...

Otherwise a set of MP60, the older TM TP2 are a cracker of a club.

S58's maybe, as I have read they are very forgiving for there shape, but the others will play to similar to the A10's.

I'll let you know about the S58's, they are on the short list, but I want to check out what the X20 tours look like, and I need the money from the TP's first.

goonie
29th August 2009, 08:42 PM
If you are use to low offset models - it is hard to use huge sole, big offset clubs.

All you need is the perimeter weighting - you hit the ball first so a smaller sole and little offset is an advantage.

701 Tours are a bit small and "blocky" How about i10 or i5. CCI Forged and victory cavs. ?

What is the offset comparison between the S58's and X20 tours? I don't think I would want to play anything with more offset than the S58/57's, had some i3 blades and they were hook machines in the long irons. Don't like the look of the CCI's, the VR split cavs are
very nice but again would be no more forgiving than the A10's or TP's

virge666
29th August 2009, 08:58 PM
What is the offset comparison between the S58's and X20 tours? I don't think I would want to play anything with more offset than the S58/57's, had some i3 blades and they were hook machines in the long irons. Don't like the look of the CCI's, the VR split cavs are
very nice but again would be no more forgiving than the A10's or TP's

There is SFA offset difference between the two. At a pinch the X 20 s more offset.

I would be thinking MP60, MP30, S58 or RAC TP 2005. The bit I like about the pings is that they feel real good and don't get dinged up. Hence my switch to them.

My X22 will hopefully arrive this week - though BB is being a bit of a prick and has dropped off the radar so I cannot confirm. When they hit my house I can confirm.

You should be able to get offset specs off each website.

goonie
29th August 2009, 09:26 PM
Does the offset reduce in the short irons with the X20's? The offset on the X22 Tours is small but pretty much the same threw the set.

Just looked at the Callaway website, the 09 X-forged look sweet.

TheNuclearOne
29th August 2009, 09:34 PM

Sorry, i was going to add tour but thought it'd be taken for granted. The standard X-20 have massive offset. When you check out the Tours let me know what the offset diff is versus the TB's if you remember.

goonie
29th August 2009, 09:41 PM
Sorry, i was going to add tour but thought it'd be taken for granted. The standard X-20 have massive offset. When you check out the Tours let me know what the offset diff is versus the TB's if you remember.

Cally site doesn't list it.

goonie
29th August 2009, 09:47 PM
What about AP2's? or are they still exxy?

goonie
29th August 2009, 09:50 PM
My X22 will hopefully arrive this week - though BB is being a bit of a prick and has dropped off the radar so I cannot confirm. When they hit my house I can confirm.

BB didn't get back to me at all, not even to say no.

virge666
29th August 2009, 10:12 PM
What about AP2's? or are they still exxy?

Still stupidly exxy.

virge666
29th August 2009, 10:14 PM
BB didn't get back to me at all, not even to say no.

Agreed - have sent the cash and that was it. Hoping for some kind of response even if off his blackberry.

He might be just having a bad run of it - or an emergency. No idea.. just a bit pissed off as it only takes 5 seconds to say something...

goonie
29th August 2009, 10:22 PM
Agreed - have sent the cash and that was it. Hoping for some kind of response even if off his blackberry.

He might be just having a bad run of it - or an emergency. No idea.. just a bit pissed off as it only takes 5 seconds to say something...

He is a pretty good guy, I wouldn't be worried, I'm sure he will have a good reason.

goonie
29th August 2009, 10:24 PM
Virge, does the X20 Tours offset reduce into the short irons?

virge666
29th August 2009, 10:33 PM
He is a pretty good guy, I wouldn't be worried, I'm sure he will have a good reason.

Yeah I know - but I am on hols on Tuesday and in a different state. And I will not have any clubs if they do not arrive. I was promised these clubs last Wednesday by Courier.

Not friggin happy.

Virge, does the X20 Tours offset reduce into the short irons?

I am sure they do.

goonie
29th August 2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah I know - but I am on hols on Tuesday and in a different state. And I will not have any clubs if they do not arrive. I was promised these clubs last Wednesday by Courier.

Not friggin happy.

understandable, have you pulled your S58's apart?

goonie
29th August 2009, 10:44 PM
whats the condition of your S58's? and what colour code?

virge666
29th August 2009, 10:45 PM
understandable, have you pulled your S58's apart?

Planning on doing that tomorrow. Though I am not sure if I don't hear from BB. The plan was to pull the KBS out, polish and clean the heads for sale. They are in good nick - 8.5/10 and black dot.

Just need some answer from BB.

TheNuclearOne
29th August 2009, 11:32 PM
Cally site doesn't list it.

Anyone know any Brissy shops that have X20 Tours, preferrable southside, I am thinking of getting a set but want to have a look at them first.

Just responding to this mate. I looked at one of me review mags and from the top they did look to have a decently low offset.

goonie
29th August 2009, 11:46 PM
Ok after a bit of internet surfing and research at this stage it is between the S58's and X20 Tours, I am leaning towards the X20's as I think they will be easier to hit and the least like the A10's without being out and out GI irons, but I want to see some in person, if I don't like them I will go the S58's

Scottt
30th August 2009, 03:41 AM
Goonie, I think I recall seeing you said "no big offset" early in the thread?

The S58 4 and 5i have pretty decent offset for a player's club. I have learned to like it, and there is very little in the mid/short irons, but it's worth noting.

gazgolf1
30th August 2009, 05:36 AM
Adams A4 Forged.

3oneday
30th August 2009, 08:01 AM
J36 Cavs, thin topline, wider sole than a players cav. Easy to hit, one of the lowest offset and best of all... cheap .

goonie
30th August 2009, 10:34 AM
J36 PC might be alright, the J36C's aren't exactly in the easy to hit category, they are almost a blade, but I do like the J36 Combo.

razaar
30th August 2009, 11:43 AM
Lee...if your contact area on the face is no larger than a $2 coin in the centre of the face, it wouldn't matter what heads you decide to use. If it extends to within a 10cent coin your best bet would be a full cavity design for max results.

PeteyD
30th August 2009, 11:55 AM
What about if it is about a $5 note?

goonie
30th August 2009, 03:01 PM
X20 tours are out, they are really chunky, they have a massive topline heaps of offset and I just don't like the look of them. The 09 X Forged look sweet but I don't think they are going to be any more forgiving than the TP's.

Looks like X22 tours or the S58 pings, the offset of the pings and the bounce of the X22 worry me. The J36 PC might be a possibility but I don't know if I want forged.

Looks like the search continues.

virge666
30th August 2009, 03:12 PM
Looks like X22 tours or the S58 pings, the offset of the pings and the bounce of the X22 worry me. The J36 PC might be a possibility but I don't know if I want forged.

Looks like the search continues.

Dont mean to be captain obvious but - they are game improvement clubs. You are ALWAYS going to have offset and a thicker topline.

Can't have your cake and eat it mate. The next step in forgiveness after the 2005 TP is X22, 701 Tour, R7, CCI, and the like...

goonie
30th August 2009, 03:20 PM
Dont mean to be captain obvious but - they are game improvement clubs. You are ALWAYS going to have offset and a thicker topline.

Can't have your cake and eat it mate. The next step in forgiveness after the 2005 TP is X22, 701 Tour, R7, CCI, and the like...

Your not wrong they are GI clubs, Maybe SGI clubs, they are trying to say there not but they are, the topline was huge, the GC mids I had were half that size, and I'm sure my mates STD X18's are smaller than that, the topline is bigger than most GI clubs, the X22 tours and X20 tours are day and night.

uahmad
30th August 2009, 04:41 PM
I bought a set of Adams A4 tech forged last week from the states, should be getting them early this week.

By all accounts/reviews they are highly recommended.
I only hit them for a little while at Golfmart and really liked them

Can let you know how they play on course soon!

3oneday
30th August 2009, 04:49 PM
The GC mids I reckon are very similar to the R7 TP's.

Isn't there more forgiveness in your Tour Preferred than all the others you have mentioned ?

Oldplayer
30th August 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi I am new to this forum but have a couple of suggestions as I own quite a few sets and quite a few are players cavities.
I am a fan of the A10's but I guess they are not forgiving as some. One suggestion would be Wilson Staff Pi7's. They are underrated IMO and are very cheap right now. They are slightly oversize but have a pretty thin topline with minimal offset. The long irons are particularly easy to hit. The lofts are also more traditional than many modern sets with the pw at 47 degrees. Good feel for a cast club and overall very solid sticks.
I have used Srixon i-701 tours and found them ok but very unforgiving for a cavity back. Thin shots really stung. Also they have a clicky slightly harsh feel. I prefer a solid soft feel.

virge666
30th August 2009, 07:37 PM
, the X22 tours and X20 tours are day and night.

really ???

Cool beans !

Where the **** is BillyBaub?

goonie
30th August 2009, 09:41 PM
really ???

Cool beans !

Where the **** is BillyBaub?

The X22 Tours have a shallower head, less than half the offset in the long irons and only a
little in the short irons, far less offset than the pings, thinner topline and sole and smaller cavity with less undercut, the only thing to worry is the amount of bounce threw the set, it is more than the X20's

goonie
30th August 2009, 11:43 PM
Going to try Virge's S58's and fit KBS's in them. If Virge's rejects don't work out I might follow him and look for a set of X22 Tour or 2009 X-Forged irons.

3oneday
31st August 2009, 07:32 AM
When do you start playing again ?

Folks always ho more when they can't get out to play ;)

goonie
31st August 2009, 08:18 AM
When do you start playing again ?

Folks always ho more when they can't get out to play ;)

Don't know yet, might be able to hit some balls next week if all goes well.