PDA

View Full Version : Good exercises for golf at the gym.

Yossarian
28th August 2009, 05:31 PM
Suggestions, I do a fair bit of core work but can always try something new.

Is it possible to do something that helps increase shoulder upper back flexibility?

Johnny Canuck
28th August 2009, 05:42 PM
stand in front of the speedbag.

punch it.

practice ducking.

repeat.

razaar
28th August 2009, 06:08 PM
All rotator cuff exercises will improve your upper back flexibility as will pec stretches and bicep (inner and outer) stretches.

Yossarian
28th August 2009, 06:13 PM
Cheers guys, much obliged.

rebjon
28th August 2009, 06:20 PM
You need to eat.....you will be less flexable in the stomach area to make up for the imbalance.

Yossarian
28th August 2009, 07:22 PM
As I said at wembley, i eat a shitload, it just doesn't do anything for me. It is probably because I work out so much.

Scottt
28th August 2009, 07:28 PM
Yoss,

I feel I get a lot out of standing in a golf posture and holding two 7.5kg (maybe start with 5kg and see if they are too light) dumbells and doing 10 reps of the backswing movement very slowly - 2 secs turning to top of "swing", 2 secs returning to address
Start with arms a bit bent, allow right arm to bend as it would in the golf swing, and the straighten again as you go back down. Then repeat for the through swing (mirror the previous movement).

henno
28th August 2009, 07:37 PM
Why do "golf specific" excercises? Just do a normal gym routine, with a lot of core exercises, and continue as normal. Stretching will increase flexibility, and general resistance training will increase muscle. Unless you become a brute of a body-builder, it can only help rather than hinder.

Scottt
28th August 2009, 07:39 PM
Tiger does all his standing free weights in his golf posture, I am told. makes a bit of sense when you think about it.

Yossarian
28th August 2009, 07:41 PM
I get what you are saying henno, but I have noticed that my upper back seems to be a bit toight, maybe because of cricket.

henno
28th August 2009, 07:58 PM
Tiger does all his standing free weights in his golf posture, I am told. makes a bit of sense when you think about it.

Of course that makes sense.... for Tiger. Personally, I'd rather have fitness that worked both for the 4 hours of golf on the weekend, as well as the other 164 hours of the week. :-k

henno
28th August 2009, 07:59 PM
I get what you are saying henno, but I have noticed that my upper back seems to be a bit toight, maybe because of cricket.

Stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Flexibility and muscle mass are (generally) neither mutually exclusive or inclusive. You can have one and not the other, none at all, or both.

Yossarian
28th August 2009, 08:03 PM
I also get what scottt was saying I did ask for golf specific.

Thanks guys.

adlo
29th August 2009, 08:36 AM
You go to the gym?

Hard to believe.... you are a beanpole.

razaar
29th August 2009, 10:59 AM
I very much doubt that...makes no sense to me because your pelvis is tilted downwards in the golf posture (arse up, not down and slumped) which shortens & tightens the erector muscles of the lower back. He may do his balancing exercises in the golf posture but not compression work involving weights. Spend an hour on the putting green in the golf posture and note how your back feels.

Yos ...any exercise which pulls your shoulders back and gets your shoulder blades flat are good for your situation. Shoulders sloping forwards cause upper back problems.

Scottt
9th September 2009, 07:06 AM
Not a bad read

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/07/sports/golf/07pennington.html?_r=1&ref=golf

goonie
9th September 2009, 02:38 PM
I can give you the exercises my Physio gave me while my wrist is recovering, I can copy them tonight, they target the shoulders and core muscles.

DracZ
9th September 2009, 03:05 PM
As with everything, balance is key. As henno already mentioned, there isn't a point doing golf-specific exercises. If anything your work in the gym should help even out any inbalances caused by golf's one-sided nature.

Stretching is also key - it increases your range of movement, and more importantly keeps you injury free. Be sure to incorporate not only static stretching but also dynamic stretching. If your gym offers yoga / pilates, I recommend taking it up.

If your looking to gain bulk, then you need to *seriously* increase your calorie intake. Its not terribly easy, and you need to be very consistent with your diet - but it can definitely be done. Unless your some kind of professional triathlon athlete, chances are your simply not eating enough.

uahmad
9th September 2009, 06:38 PM
nothing beats chin ups mate for strength, flexibility.
Super strength exercise.

Wide grips followed by narrow underarm grip.

If you're body weight gets too easy add some weight to you're feet.

adlo
9th September 2009, 06:40 PM
Doesn't your mummy just go to the gym for you Yoss?

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 06:42 PM
Negative, my body is my temple. You are just jealous of my cut physique.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, been doing some pilates, stretching a lot more. We'll see how it goes.

uahmad
9th September 2009, 08:30 PM
pilates? doesnt that make you gay?

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 08:32 PM
:roll:

:lol:

rebjon
9th September 2009, 08:53 PM
Yoss...

Stick with compound movements...
eg.
Bench BBell or DBell
Dips
Chins
Bentover Row
Seated Row
Lat Pulldown
Shoulder Press BBell or DBell
Dead Lift (stiff leg or roman)
Squat

Primarily you will work Chest, Back and Legs and secondarily arms (tricepts during chest workout and Bicepts during back)

I suggest you do a push/pull split for your upper body 3 sets 10 to 12 reps choose two exercises per muscle group (chest, shoulders, back and legs). Will beef it up with something special later. Exercises that you push do on Monday and pull on Wednesday and do legs on Friday.

No more that 40 minutes in the gym as your Cortisol levels will climb to high.

30gram shot of protein (whey) and 30gram shot of high glycemic index carbs (glass of orange juice ect) within 30mins after completing gym session to induce insulin spike and stop Cortisol.

Oh and stretch after you finished your work out not before.

henno
9th September 2009, 08:56 PM
Stick with compound movements...
eg.
Bench BBell or DBell
Dips
Chins
Bentover Row
Seated Row
Lat Pulldown
Shoulder Press BBell or DBell
Dead Lift (stiff leg or roman)
Squat

That is basically my weekly workout. I do a bit more core stuff, but that's pretty much it.

rebjon
9th September 2009, 08:57 PM
What gym are you going to ???

Yoss

Yossarian
I will become uber massive.

At the moment none, just about to join up again somewhere, been using my mates home gym but he has moved. Bad bloke.

DracZ
pilates? doesnt that make you gay?

Class filled with women being stretched in different positions over an hour...not exactly a gay man's fantasy, no? :mrgreen:

P.S: Agreed on the chin-ups / pull-ups. Not enough people incorporate it into their workout.

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah you guys should see the instructor. She is salmon and worth the price of admission alone.

DracZ
9th September 2009, 09:00 PM
Oh and stretch after you finished your work out not before.

Why?

I don't believe that static stretching reduces dynamic strength. Even if you do - a brief cardio workout to get the heartrate up followed by some dynamic stretching can still be used prior to the actual workout.

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 09:02 PM
Is watching pumping iron before a workout a good idea?

DracZ
9th September 2009, 09:06 PM

Always :smt060

rebjon
9th September 2009, 09:14 PM
Why?

I don't believe that static stretching reduces dynamic strength. Even if you do - a brief cardio workout to get the heartrate up followed by some dynamic stretching can still be used prior to the actual workout.

I do believe static stretching reduces strength, I do however support dynamic stretching and a brief cardio workout prior to lifting.

Quote "There was a study done at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where athletes actually generated less force from their leg muscles after static stretching than they did after not stretching at all. There have been similar studies which have found that this stretching decreases muscle strength by as much as 30 percent. Also, stretching one leg’s muscles can reduce strength in the other leg as well, most likely because the central nervous system rebels against the movements.“There is a neuromuscular inhibitory response to static stretching,” says Malachy McHugh, the director of research at the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. But worse than this, the muscle becomes less responsive and stays weakened for up to 30 minutes after stretching, which as you can imagine is not the ideal preparation for your favorite activity sport or workout."

There are plenty of other hard copy refences that I have read confirming this...

rebjon
9th September 2009, 09:23 PM

Only if you feel like Cuming

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 09:25 PM
:lol:

Our year 8 english teacher showed us that movie.

Was a bit of an eye opener :shock:

DracZ
9th September 2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/mythbusters_vol_2

(Page 2 of the link above)

Myth: You should never do static stretches before weight training.
Mythbuster: Mike BoyleEarly in my training career, whenever we sent one of our athletes to physical therapy, we were told he needed to stretch more. We eventually conceded the point, and added pre-workout static stretching. Almost immediately, we saw a significant drop in long-term injuries.
So imagine how strange it was to see my fellow coaches turn against pre-workout stretching in recent years. Why? Because research linked static stretching to a decrease in power.
I don't know about you, but I'd rather be injury-free than worry about an incredibly small decrease in immediate power.
Frankly, I never found those studies particularly compelling. I remember one where the researchers had their subjects perform a vertical jump, follow that with a standing hamstring stretch for 30 seconds, and then head back to do another vertical jump. The overall decrease in power in that study was something in the neighborhood of 3 percent. Not 30 percent. Three. There's a difference between something being statistically significant and genuinely important.

In another, more recent study (http://www.nsca-jscr.org/pt/re/jscr/abstract.00124278-200809000-00006.htm), you'll see that static stretching didn't lead to a decrease in height for the vertical jump, a favorite marker of power.
I agree that static stretching will probably decrease power immediately after stretching. So if I'm working with a sprinter, I'm not going to have him do static stretches right before he runs 100 meters with a championship on the line. But I might tell him to do it an hour before the race.
That way I know I'm doing the best I can to keep him injury-free for future races.

rebjon
9th September 2009, 09:32 PM
Again I say forget static do dynamic stretching.....

I'm not convinced that static stretching prior to a workout prevents injury.

rebjon
9th September 2009, 09:32 PM
Yoss where are you training ???

rebjon
9th September 2009, 09:37 PM
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/article027.htm
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/stretching-performance-and-injury-prevention
http://www.innerwestmassage.com.au/stretching-injury.php
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--7001-0,00.html
http://blog.hallamshirephysiotherapy.com/blog/_archives/2009/8/17/4291389.html

we could keep throwing online references at each other, there is always going to be a divided camp in relation to this

DracZ
9th September 2009, 09:38 PM
If I had to choose between risking an increased chance of injury vs. less power for my workout, I'm pretty sure its a no brainer for most - but to each his own.

rebjon
9th September 2009, 09:40 PM
If I had to choose between risking an increased chance of injury vs. less power for my workout, I'm pretty sure its a no brainer for most - but to each his own.

Again evidence suggests that static stretches don't assist in preventing injury.....

I would recommend dynamic...

DracZ
9th September 2009, 09:44 PM
Again evidence suggests that static stretches don't assist in preventing injury.....

I would recommend dynamic...

In any case I think we both agree that some form of dynamic stretching is recommended prior to a workout :)

All I'm trying to ensure is that no one here gets the idea that you should go into a hard workout from a completely cold start.

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 09:51 PM
Yoss where are you training ???

Nowhere atm mate, probably going to join zest or melville rec again. But when I got back to uni next year the money could be useful so a full year membership might be a pain. And the way I was melting the ball today I am not sure I need to polish these guns anymore.

rebjon
9th September 2009, 10:02 PM
Just thinking about joining Zest myself as i believe you can move you memebership to other locations, when I move ect....

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah you can use a zest membership at any of their gyms I think.

Just the dorra which is putting me off.

henno
9th September 2009, 10:06 PM
Fatness First offers the same thing.

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 10:08 PM
They do, but I have heard some bad stories about them in Perth, ****ing around with memberships and stuff.

henno
9th September 2009, 10:09 PM
It's not just Perth. They have been accused of the "hard sell" and dodgy tactics everywhere. They are Globo Gym.

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 10:10 PM
All gyms are a bit weird. Some of the shit I've heard about the zest in melville. Wow.

Scottt
9th September 2009, 10:31 PM
Fitness First are criminals. Do not, do not, do not join.

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 10:36 PM
I won't :) It is zest or melville rec for me.

Or I might just go down to the local docks and lift some sea containers.

adlo
9th September 2009, 10:51 PM
My wife joined Fitness First about six years ago (willingly) and has nothing but good things to say. Top notch facilities and can go to any of their gyms.

TourFit
9th September 2009, 11:17 PM
My fitness routine revolves around walking to the fridge for a beer...
...some reps of lifting it to mouth...
...stretching for the remote (though i hurt my rotator cuff over-stretching for it - so now I make sure I have it before I sit down)...

Repeat several times, until there is no beer.

adlo
9th September 2009, 11:22 PM
It doesn't show :lol:

Yossarian
9th September 2009, 11:26 PM
That sounds solid tourfit.

Adlo, I have heard ok things to, but the bad stories I have heard really make me avoid it.

uahmad
10th September 2009, 04:50 AM
I setup a whole Gym in my garage. Cost me a mint. (this was before i found golf and was a gym junkie)

Its been sitting there for 9 months looks fantastic doesn't get used. If only had a stupid training partner in the neighborhood to get me motivated again.

Jono
10th September 2009, 12:54 PM
I setup a whole Gym in my garage. Cost me a mint. (this was before i found golf and was a gym junkie)

Its been sitting there for 9 months looks fantastic doesn't get used. If only had a stupid training partner in the neighborhood to get me motivated again.

I've got a gym set up in my garage as well and I'm finding it difficult to sustain the motivation.

Why don't you move down to Wollongong and we can be training partners. 8)

DracZ
10th September 2009, 01:02 PM
Not really a fan of bigger franchised gyms, aircons / TVs / pop tunes / people walking endlessly on their treadmills. Plus they're always trying to sell you the flavor of the month.

Look out for the smaller gyms, lots of freeweights, squat racks - just the basics is all you need. If the equipment is starting to rust a little, even better :) Just more conducive environment to actually get to work and start training seriously.

uahmad
10th September 2009, 01:14 PM
which is why i setup my own gym. Just the real core strenght machines. If I add anything extra i would be wasting my money.

Power rack with lat pull down extension
Chinup/Dip station
Leg Sled
Hyper Extension bench
approx 200kgs of olympic plates
10kgs to 40kgs pair of dumbells (ie. 500kgs total)
speed bag
lots of bars/attachements.

JUST NEED SOMEONE TO MOTIVATE ME!!!
Jono move up here and you can even live in my garage.

rebjon
10th September 2009, 02:01 PM
which is why i setup my own gym. Just the real core strenght machines. If I add anything extra i would be wasting my money.

Chinup/Dip station
Leg Sled
Hyper Extension bench
speed bag

I like power racks, with an adjustable bench you can almost do everthing....

Jono
10th September 2009, 02:48 PM

Chinup/Dip station
Leg Sled
Hyper Extension bench
speed bag

That sounds awesome. Why don't you put a pic up? Love to see it.

uahmad
10th September 2009, 08:26 PM
here you go..

this was probably 8 months ago when I was setting it up..
added a couple of other things after this and reshuffled some stuff around..

got some posters up now too..

Beauty of having you're own gym - you can even wear thongs with socks.

henno
10th September 2009, 08:29 PM
Sweet setup. Where do you live?

;-)

uahmad
10th September 2009, 08:30 PM
I like power racks, with an adjustable bench you can almost do everthing....

Totally agree - actually ill take it one further -

If you're not going to compete in a body building comp you DONT need anything else but a power rack with and adjustable bench.

Jono
10th September 2009, 08:49 PM
Did you get those dumbells from Gym Direct (seebay)? I bought a set of similar looking dumbells from them but ended up selling them to a friend who set up a commercial gym. Good quality dumbells.

Nice set up, BTW. I'll take some pics of my garage/gym soon.

uahmad
10th September 2009, 08:54 PM
yep the dumbbells are from Gym Direct.

All the other stuff is powertec

markTHEblake
10th September 2009, 09:01 PM
i have been doing Pilates once a week for about 18 months, thats why i have this magnificent body.

Its not gay, and i have only injured myself twice. Well three if you count the time doing the exercise where lying on my back with legs straight up in the air, holding a sandbag between the ankles, and the sandbag fell out.

Jono
10th September 2009, 09:05 PM
i have been doing Pilates once a week for about 18 months, thats why i have this magnificent body.

Its not gay, and i have only injured myself twice. Well three if you count the time doing the exercise where lying on my back with legs straight up in the air, holding a sandbag between the ankles, and the sandbag fell out.

OUCH!

:shock:

sms316
19th February 2014, 07:31 PM
Lads,

Today I actually ventured into a gym and actually liked it. I have got my weight to a somewhat decent level (by my standards) and aim to break through the 100kg barrier by Easter at the latest.

I guess that I have a slight conundrum. Up until now I have worked exclusively on cardio and I'm happy enough with that since I have seen pretty rapid improvement. To give you an idea of where I am at, I've set myself a target of being able to run 10km without a break. Tomorrow I'm going to try for 5km unbroken.

My question is this: at what point should I look at introducing weights to this stellar body of mine? Or should I just stick to cardio and dropping weight?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Canuck
19th February 2014, 07:48 PM
Lads,

Today I actually ventured into a gym and actually liked it. I have got my weight to a somewhat decent level (by my standards) and aim to break through the 100kg barrier by Easter at the latest.

I guess that I have a slight conundrum. Up until now I have worked exclusively on cardio and I'm happy enough with that since I have seen pretty rapid improvement. To give you an idea of where I am at, I've set myself a target of being able to run 10km without a break. Tomorrow I'm going to try for 5km unbroken.

My question is this: at what point should I look at introducing weights to this stellar body of mine? Or should I just stick to cardio and dropping weight?

Thanks in advance.

Bring in weights now. Start with low weights, high reps to get used to proper technique and to also get your body used to the motions without killing yourself.

Apps such as Fitness Buddy are quite good. There is a free version, as well as a paid version that gives a ton more exercises and routines.

I would start with full body workouts before specifically targeting one/two muscle groups per workout.

Weights will help tone, but also help with the weight loss by boosting your metabolism and raising your heart rate while you workout.

I like to do two exercises at a time, alternating each set instead of resting, so that I keep my heart rate up while I workout.

timah!
19th February 2014, 07:54 PM
Now. Yesterday. When you first started your health kick.

Stick with the bread and butter exercises and increase your load when appropriate.
I have a rubbish 2 day split which is the way it is due to time.

Lower:

Squat
Leg press
Calf press
KB swings
Bent over row
Lat pulldowns
Curls (get the girls)

Upper:
DB Bench Press
DB Incline Press
Cable fly
DB Overhead Press
Shrugs
Tricep pushdowns
Tricep Single arm pulldowns

3 sets of 12 reps. If on the third set I get out less than 8 reps then the weight is too heavy, over 15 reps and it's time to increase the load.

Once uni semester kicks in I think that will change and I'll look to do something with more intensity. Maybe. I try to keep my workout to under an hour.

I'm sure others will have other suggestions, but that would be my thoughts on what to start with...

Bruce
19th February 2014, 08:14 PM
I am hitting the gym now with a program I got from http://www.mytpi.com/

I found a TPI certified gym instructor, did some assessments and he built a program to help with swing stuff as well as general. Glutes and core are apparently where it's at for the golf swing.

sms316
19th February 2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I need to plan a routine out over the weekend.

markTHEblake
19th February 2014, 09:01 PM
SMS check out www.bodyforlife.com
The program he advocates is different and doesn't take as long.

Eg the cardio exercise is only 20 mins there days a week. If done properly according to the 1 minute splits that's is the best way to burn the fat. In brief on a scale of 1-10 intensity, you go at this level for each minute.

It seems to be better idea than running 10km. My onnly issue is to get 6 levels of intensity, working back from 10, 6 is sitting down and 5 is asleep.

davepuppies
19th February 2014, 09:10 PM
Yep, resistance training will aid in your fat loss.

In addition to your weights and cardio, aim to shape your diet around your exersize too.

Are you using protein powders?

sms316
19th February 2014, 09:17 PM

sms316
19th February 2014, 09:17 PM
Not using any powders etc. My diet is "self made".

Breakfast
Black coffee
2 soft boiled eggs

Lunch
150g cold meat (turkey or beef usually)
Garden salad

Dinner
200g chicken or fish
Either steamed veg or garden salad

Strangely, I'm not hungry at all. Drinking about 3 litres of water a day.

timah!
19th February 2014, 09:23 PM
Shaun - YOU NEED TO EAT MORE!

timah!
19th February 2014, 09:36 PM
I am hitting the gym now with a program I got from http://www.mytpi.com/

I found a TPI certified gym instructor, did some assessments and he built a program to help with swing stuff as well as general. Glutes and core are apparently where it's at for the golf swing.

How did you go about finding a program?

Jackson
19th February 2014, 09:37 PM
I hate the gym but wouldn't mind doing some weight/resistance training.
What would be involved in a basic/starter home setup for something like this? Would one of the basic multi-gym machines be the go? Or a few basic free weights?

Bruce
19th February 2014, 09:46 PM
How did you go about finding a program?

I went to: http://www.mytpi.com/experts

Found a guy that was near me. (Ben Kirkland)
Called him and booked an appointment.

The test is ranges of motion, as well as some strength etc.

He put a program together for me which I have been doing for about 4 weeks now. I've never felt stronger or more stable at the top which is one of the things I was expecting to get out of it. I'm enjoying it.

timah!
19th February 2014, 09:50 PM
Cheerin. Thanks Bruce!

bergsey
19th February 2014, 10:18 PM
Shaun, absolutely should be doing resistance exercises as will help keep the weight off and build strength.

Fitness buddy is a good app, has prebuilt programs and shows you images of each exercise as well as logging etc. can do custom programs like mine below

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/u3eja6ut.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/gygubysu.jpg

sms316
20th February 2014, 11:41 AM
Very comprehensive app that one Hansel. Thanks.

mrbluu
20th February 2014, 11:43 AM
Does fitness buddy track your calories intake a well??

Yossarian
20th February 2014, 11:44 AM
You are going to be strong in the doggy sms.

sms316
20th February 2014, 12:11 PM
Does fitness buddy track your calories intake a well?? It doesn't appear to. I use My Fitness Pal anyway.
You are going to be strong in the doggy sms.You better believe it.

mrbluu
20th February 2014, 12:15 PM
It doesn't appear to. I use My Fitness Pal anyway.

I use that too....

Does that tell you are eating too few calories??

sms316
20th February 2014, 12:28 PM
I use that too....Does that tell you are eating too few calories?? Every day.

timah!
20th February 2014, 12:30 PM
Every day.

How many calories are you consuming? Can't be more than 1000 surely?

sms316
20th February 2014, 12:35 PM
How many calories are you consuming? Can't be more than 1000 surely?500-600.

davepuppies
20th February 2014, 12:37 PM
Def need to eat more.

What is you current weight? Do you by chance know your body fat percentage?

I ask, as you can then calculate your fat free mass, then your BMR ( basal metabolic rate)

This is the amount of calories your living tissue ( muscle not fat) needs to sustain its current weight.

If you eat too little, your metabolism will slow right down to conserve energy ( fat) and you will start eating muscle as energy.

A good goal is to lose 1 kg fat per week. A kilo of fat is 8000 calories. So therefore slightly over 1000 calorie deficit, by way of calorie restriction and exersize will be the sweet spot.

Good work on the weight loss thus far.

Part ironing your protein and calories around your training will help you too.

sms316
20th February 2014, 12:45 PM
No idea about my body fat percentage. I don't think that I want to know.

108kg now. If I'm chewing muscle I certainly don't feel like it.

My standard cal allowance according to MFP is 2180. Yesterday I ate 494 cal and burned 1541 cal. :lol:

timah!
20th February 2014, 12:47 PM
500-600.

You realise that's pretty much one decent meal a day, don't you?

You definitely need to eat more.

sms316
20th February 2014, 01:04 PM
You realise that's pretty much one decent meal a day, don't you? You definitely need to eat more. Should I just drink a few hundred calories worth of beer?

timah!
20th February 2014, 01:29 PM
Sure, why not. :roll:

mrbluu
20th February 2014, 01:30 PM
500-600.

wow, I wouldn't be able to function on that few calories....

sms316
20th February 2014, 01:44 PM
wow, I wouldn't be able to function on that few calories.... I do, quite easily actually. Got through the first couple of days and then it was normal.

sms316
20th February 2014, 01:45 PM
Sure, why not. :roll: Sarcastic font not working again? What sort of food should I go with to make up the shortfall?

Shadesy
20th February 2014, 01:59 PM
Sarcastic font not working again? What sort of food should I go with to make up the shortfall?

Hops, Barley and Water... Not the worst thing.

That is not very many calories. Be careful because your body will start storing food.

davepuppies
20th February 2014, 02:00 PM
You are functioning as you,are in ketosis ( the process of the body producing ketones - similar to acetone)" as it has switched from using carbohydrates as the primary energy source to fats and proteins.

I bet you breath smells rank?

It's not a bad strategy, but if you are going to go without carbs, add some more calories from lean proteins and healthy fats.

Waddzy
20th February 2014, 02:01 PM
Sarcastic font not working again? What sort of food should I go with to make up the shortfall?
If your going to start resistance training you will need some sort of carbs prior to hitting the gym , maybe knock down some basmati rice or wholegrain pasta with a small amount of protein about an hour before. Ideally you should be consuming under your BMR by about 1000 calorie wise and then with exercise it will really kick in the weight loss. But it is all a personal decision as to what your comfortable doing. Is having a personal trainer something you would look into? Find the right one and they can do you up a meal plan along side with a training plan.. even if you only see them for a month you can use what you learn.

davepuppies
20th February 2014, 02:05 PM
If I were designing your diet, it would look like this ('bear in mind I come from a bodybuilding back ground..... You can make it more civilian if required)

Black coffee

Cardio on empty stomach

Breakfast 30 grams oats, protein shake

Morning tea 2 boiled eggs, apple

Lunch 200gms chicken breast, 150 grams sweet potato

Afternoon lift weights

Protein shake after

Dinner 200gms lean red meat, or salmon, green veggies

If hungry before bed 200gms Greek yogurt or low fat cottage cheese.

mrbluu
20th February 2014, 02:37 PM
I do, quite easily actually. Got through the first couple of days and then it was normal.

I'm struggling on 1600/1800 a day!!!

timah!
20th February 2014, 02:51 PM

I got the sarcasm ;)

Look, ultimately you can do what you want. But do you really think you could last 6 months, a year, a decade on 600cal?
To put that into perspective, your daily diet is the same as:
4 glasses of full cream milk; or
2 toasted cheese sandwiches; or
1 and a bit meat pies and so on.

As for what to fill the shortfall with, ask six different people you'll get six different answers.
So here's mine:
http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf
3 meals a day, eat as much as you need to fill you.

solarbear
22nd February 2014, 05:58 PM
I find once you get the first few days out of the way the low/no carb works fine. I have done it many times with results each time. And my weights have suffered very little. Usually, I do an easier program like 5/3/1 while dieting, where most of the year I run more of a powerlifting program.

It is good to have an apple or other carb 30 min or an hour berfore working out or golfing. And maybe a protein shake or just a big glass of milk after weights.

As to whether weights helps my golf or not. No idea... but no one gets in my way or says anything when I hit up their fairway.

davepuppies
22nd February 2014, 07:05 PM
Weights hinders my golf, but that is due to having overly bulky chest, shoulder and back. Restricts my turn,,flexibility and sequence.

But I love the gym, so it's all good

solarbear
22nd February 2014, 09:03 PM
Weights hinders my golf, but that is due to having overly bulky chest, shoulder and back. Restricts my turn,,flexibility and sequence.

But I love the gym, so it's all good

Sounds like we have a very similar build.

Johnny Canuck
22nd February 2014, 10:53 PM
Very comprehensive app that one Hansel. Thanks.

Has was the app that I recommended, fatty?

bergsey
23rd February 2014, 01:29 AM
Go Sweden!