PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Hybrid off the deck

Pieface
24th August 2009, 11:04 AM
Hiya,

I'm really struggling with my hybrid 3 and 4 off the deck. I am hitting them great off a low tee if a little low in trajectory at times.

When it comes to hitting them off the deck I'm in real strife. I'm hitting tops, shanks and hooks. The only time a can get them straight and with any loft is if I catch it really fat and of course then they only go about 100m.

Has anybody got any tips or drills for hitting these things? I'm trying to set up like an iron but it's just not clicking at the moment :(

Daves
24th August 2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmxyEz7vjIM

adlo
24th August 2009, 11:12 AM
Man that guy looks like Detective Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) at the start of that clip.

BrisVegas
24th August 2009, 11:15 AM
i try to think about staying down on the shot and taking a divot after the ball, much the same as if I was trying to hit a long iron.

Pieface
24th August 2009, 11:48 AM
I think I must be subconciously trying to sweep it into the air and when I overcompensate I just do a big chop into the ground.

Thanks for the Youtube link Daves. I will watch it during my lunchbreak.

KristianJ
24th August 2009, 11:48 AM
i try to think about staying down on the shot and taking a divot after the ball, much the same as if I was trying to hit a long iron.

Ditto...I used to fall into the trap of trying to sweep it off the deck and not taking a divot, but after adopting the "stay down" mindset, I've found that the vast majority will either go straight or have the controlled fade that characterises most of my long to mid iron shots.

sms316
24th August 2009, 12:44 PM
Get a 2 and 3 iron.

henno
24th August 2009, 12:45 PM
Get a 2 and 3 iron.

Don't listen to this flusher. I wish I could hit my 3 iron as high as he hits his 2-iron. 8-)

PeteyD
24th August 2009, 12:48 PM
He does call it the Angel Raper.

Ferrins
24th August 2009, 12:55 PM
At the range hit a 7 iron and when you get decent trajectory swap between that and the hybrid. Just swing the same as you do with the 7 iron. If you can't hit a decent 7 iron then your crap and should give up.

Pieface
24th August 2009, 01:15 PM
... If you can't hit a decent 7 iron then your crap and should give up.

Anybody want some cheap clubs suitable for a freak? :lol:

Same ball position Ferrins?

virge666
24th August 2009, 01:33 PM
Ball under left tit - set the hybrid up in the heel by about 1/2 and inch.

Make a normal swing - should get a nice high gentle cut.

Nothing too major to think about - just using the club how it is designed.

Pippolo
24th August 2009, 01:54 PM
Man that guy looks like Detective Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) at the start of that clip.

He looks exactly the same!

sms316
24th August 2009, 02:29 PM
Don't listen to this flusher. I wish I could hit my 3 iron as high as he hits his 2-iron. 8-)
Nothing special. Virge said to hit it high.

(And stay out of the paw paw trees).

razaar
24th August 2009, 02:52 PM
Mate if you can hit a fairway wood you should be able to hit a hybrid. My guess is that your head and upperbody is moving on to the ball instead of staying behind it. The difficult part of golf is getting the shaft to lean forward through impact (handle ahead of the head) on in inside ,shallow attack and still hit past yourself. It is a skill that takes years of practice.

PeteyD
24th August 2009, 03:16 PM
Is that a paw paw tree?

henno
24th August 2009, 03:19 PM
Is that a paw paw tree?

You mean the one with all of the paw-paws on it?

Golfnut
25th August 2009, 12:43 AM
For me Pieface, it was all about tempo with my hybrid.....I was in the same boat as you when I first got my TM hybrid. I was topping it something cruel so i'd grip further back on the shaft and then i'd hit it fat......it did get quite frustrating. (I'm still a relative newb to the game too)
You will need to spend time at the range and I found I needed to slow my tempo down until I found I was hitting cleanly...don't try to over hit it, even if you have to shorten your back swing marginally til you start hitting it sweet and then slowly build up your power......at the moment I find i'm pushing the swing through with my right arm more for a bit more power.....so far so good.

BrisVegas
25th August 2009, 10:04 AM
hey speaking of hybrids (thread-tangent)... Anyone had any experience with either:

Grafalloy Prolaunch Red Hybrid (LOW, 89gram, 2.0 torque)
Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Hybrid (LOW-MID, 81gram, 2.0 torque)
Epic Hybrid (MID, 85gram, 2.5 torque)

I hit a high ball and was wondering if I should stick to a low launch style shaft in a hybrid or go for something mid-height? I've enjoyed DG S300 and V2 104gram in the past, if that helps... I've also hit the Prolaunch Red in a 13deg 3 wood and liked the flight I got from that. I've got a 909H 17deg head I need to choose a shaft for.

Ferrins
25th August 2009, 10:15 AM
:smt023
Mate if you can hit a fairway wood you should be able to hit a hybrid. My guess is that your head and upperbody is moving on to the ball instead of staying behind it. The difficult part of golf is getting the shaft to lean forward through impact (handle ahead of the head) on in inside ,shallow attack and still hit past yourself. It is a skill that takes years of practice.
On ball position just experiment on the range. I leave a divot the same as the irons

BrisVegas
25th August 2009, 10:24 AM
yeah, it's a whole new world outside the pro shop hey rich...

razaar
25th August 2009, 10:26 AM
hey speaking of hybrids (thread-tangent)... Anyone had any experience with either:

Grafalloy Prolaunch Red Hybrid (LOW, 89gram, 2.0 torque)
Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Hybrid (LOW-MID, 81gram, 2.0 torque)
Epic Hybrid (MID, 85gram, 2.5 torque)

I hit a high ball and was wondering if I should stick to a low launch style shaft in a hybrid or go for something mid-height? I've enjoyed DG S300 and V2 104gram in the past, if that helps... I've also hit the Prolaunch Red in a 13deg 3 wood and liked the flight I got from that. I've got a 909H 17deg head I need to choose a shaft for.

If you hit the ball high be thankful, particularly on Queensland courses which tend to have hard greens. A higher trajectory ball will always stop quicker and will be an advantage on elevated greens. Almost every low ball hitter (in Qld) secretly wishes for a higher ball flight.

Flusher
25th August 2009, 10:26 AM
Hiya,

I'm really struggling with my hybrid 3 and 4 off the deck. I am hitting them great off a low tee if a little low in trajectory at times.

When it comes to hitting them off the deck I'm in real strife. I'm hitting tops, shanks and hooks. The only time a can get them straight and with any loft is if I catch it really fat and of course then they only go about 100m.

Has anybody got any tips or drills for hitting these things? I'm trying to set up like an iron but it's just not clicking at the moment :(

It's simple - play it like a 5 iron !

Tongueboy
25th August 2009, 10:30 AM
It's simple - play it like a 5 iron !

he is right you know

razaar
25th August 2009, 10:33 AM
The shaft is 2 inches longer than a 5-iron. Do you recommend playing your 5-iron like your 9-iron?

PeteyD
25th August 2009, 10:42 AM
Um, isn't it the same swing with a narrower stance?

Flusher
25th August 2009, 10:45 AM
The shaft is 2 inches longer than a 5-iron. Do you recommend playing your 5-iron like your 9-iron?

The thought process is more important than the swing. The idea of playing the shot as if you had a 5 iron in hand is about the setup, hand position, ball position and must include the descending blow.

Not sure of your question though ?? Do you play your 9 iron different to your 5 iron ??

KristianJ
25th August 2009, 10:57 AM
You blokes amaze me sometimes.
20 posts already and nobody has suggested he buy a new driver or putter to fix this.

The number of options would probably make his head spin too much...plus, maybe he might need to buy both a new driver and putter.

Ferrins
25th August 2009, 11:10 AM
Put the ball in your stance in the same position as a nine iron and use a 5 iron swing with the same trajectory of your seven iron with the width of stance of a 3 wood shot. The most important thing is to keep it simple.

Tongueboy
25th August 2009, 11:15 AM
got it in one

dhills2
25th August 2009, 11:44 AM
get an Adams Pro hybrid like me - it feels like you're cheating... then if you still can't hit it, take up tennis :)

Russ
25th August 2009, 02:36 PM
Put the ball in your stance in the same poitition as a nine iron and use a 5 iron swing with the same trajectory of your seven iron with the width of stance of a 3 wood shot. The most important thing is to keep it simple.

Hahahahaha ... nice!

:smt038

razaar
25th August 2009, 04:36 PM
The thought process is more important than the swing. The idea of playing the shot as if you had a 5 iron in hand is about the setup, hand position, ball position and must include the descending blow.

Not sure of your question though ?? Do you play your 9 iron different to your 5 iron ??
Heck yes.

virge666
25th August 2009, 04:36 PM
You blokes amaze me sometimes.
20 posts already and nobody has suggested he buy a new driver or putter to fix this.

Ok - I will - Get a hybrid more more loft.

Pretty friggin easy question to answer IMHO.

Pieface
16th September 2009, 03:05 PM
I seem to be getting on top of these clubs although I'm still a while away from describing myself as confident with them. It takes a while to erase the memories of all the bad shots I've taken!

I think I've chased my inconsistent contact down to mainly being a posture issue. The shorter irons I think I get away with it because of the forgiveness of the higher loft on the clubs. Once I start getting into the longer clubs with less loft I can't get the club face back to the address position reliably with a slumped posture.

I'm striking the ball better by focusing on getting a straight spine angle at address and maintaining that angle through the swing. I don't know if that's the root cause or just an interim fix that seems to be working but I'll take it for now.

TourFit
16th September 2009, 03:22 PM
...."I don't know if that's the root cause or just an interim fix that seems to be working but I'll take it for now"

A root is NEVER the cause...:mrgreen: