PDA

View Full Version : Molik

Fishman Dan
24th January 2005, 09:53 PM
Anyone see this game tonight? An absolute cracker!

Now i'm not really a tennis lover. A fan? Maybe, but it's not really a game that grabs me, and as for watching Women's tennis? Rarely ever go there, the grunters, the lack of testosterone, lack of BIG first serves and hard-fought rallies...

We got it all tonight in her 7-5 7-6 win over a Williams. Both girls duking it out, and in the latter part of the 2nd set they were both having a dead-set crack. Molik's first serves regularly 180+ km/h, and when needed too.

But the key was that she controlled the game, ran Venus around the court at will, and basically wore her down, eventually taking the tie-breaker to win it.

Took something, but after this you have to rate her - there's no saying she can't beat Davenport, but here's hoping tonights effort wasn't a one-off.

Onewood
24th January 2005, 10:18 PM
Anyone see this game tonight? An absolute cracker!

Took something, but after this you have to rate her - there's no saying she can't beat Davenport, but here's hoping tonights effort wasn't a one-off.

I've heard that, it's not if she'll win a major....it's when 8) and after tonight lets hope it is in the Aus Open....

Hewitt struggled tonight :roll: I thought he was goooorne....Can't see him going all the way :cry: but I hope he makes me eat my words :P

Ona
24th January 2005, 10:48 PM
Onewood that'd be a real shame, your on a diet arent you? :P

McMw
24th January 2005, 11:24 PM
funny think with Molik is that she's been around for what....5 years??? maybe more...

where has she come from???

confidence is a great thing...esp when ppl are talking and writing you up...

Jarro
25th January 2005, 04:09 AM
great match 8)

i still don't understand why Williams kept returning to Molik's forehand .. her preferred side .... didn't make sense :roll: Molik was smashing her forehand winners all night ... and man, she does have some power :shock:

I think she can roll Davenport on wednesday, no reason to doubt her after last nights effort.

Hewitt won't win it .... nobody will beat Federer .... not even Agassi [-(

Flowergirl
25th January 2005, 08:08 AM
What a great game.................great stuff. Good to see the women getting out there and fighting hard. I really love Alicia's attitude to the game. I think she can give Davenport a real scare.

And gee Hewitt never says die does he. I wish I had more of his strength of belief in himself when I play golf. I defeat myself so much when I play.

Don't think he or anyone can beat Federer....that man is amazing :shock:

AndyP
25th January 2005, 08:12 AM
Last night's match was fantastic. One of the best women's tennis matches I can remember seeing. I hate watching that lollipop crap that they usually play.

It's good to see that women's tennis is finally getting some depth, and is not being dominated by just one or two players.

Go Alicia!
Go Lleyton!

amanda
25th January 2005, 08:32 AM
Wow - I wanted to go to bed early at 9.30pm but had to stay up to watch. Alicia played so much better last night than the previous 2 games.

Bring on Wednesday! :D

AndyP
25th January 2005, 08:34 AM
With Molik, I don't think i've ever seen such a dramatic turnaround in form in such a short time period. Sure she's confident but she must have done something to her game to improve.
A turnaround from when? Perhaps you guys don't follow tennis enough to see that she hasn't come from nowhere.

Wow - I wanted to go to bed early at 9.30pm but had to stay up to watch.
Some of us still got to bed at about that time, after watching the tennis. ;)
Maybe your clock is an hour out. :P

Choppa
25th January 2005, 10:14 AM
the lack of testosterone

I don't know about that. The "other" williams sister (Serena, you know the one no one likes) has more testosterone that 90% of the men on the circuit :?

AndyP
25th January 2005, 11:21 AM
A turnaround from when? Perhaps you guys don't follow tennis enough to see that she hasn't come from nowhere.
She's nearly 24 and has to have been on the tour for 5 or 6 years. Up until a couple of months ago she's won diddly squat.
She won two or three top-line tournaments last year (including a dream final against Sharapova =P~ ), and a bronze medal in the Olympics. Made the last 16 in the Aus Open last year, and the top 32 at Wimbledon.
She also won a couple of titles the year before that, after finishing 2003 in the top 40.

Maybe she just hasn't been in the news enough for you to notice. :?

AndyP
25th January 2005, 11:42 AM
Not all players are teen sensations, some just develop late I guess.

I can't even keep up with all these Russians, and I follow tennis a little bit. Just wait til Kournikova makes her comeback. :roll:

Still can't get my head around the fact that Davenport is #1 seed.
Not only that, she is ranked #1 without winning a Grand Slam last year.
That's what happens when the Williams, Clijsters and Henin all have holidays.

gazgolf1
25th January 2005, 12:07 PM
Rarely ever go there, the grunters, the lack of

I'd make her grunt. :wink:

Fishman Dan
25th January 2005, 12:10 PM

C'mon fellas, lift your game. That took a whole page to come up :!: :lol:

Was anyone watching the Sharapova game on the weekend? When McAveney said (regarding the squealing);

"It's an amazing sound. You can just close your eyes and think of the kid working her heart out"

.....or words to that effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was said in that slow, drooly kinda pedophiley way too.

Choppa
25th January 2005, 12:11 PM

How Gaz :-k

Ducky
25th January 2005, 01:22 PM
Anyone know what time Sharapova plays today?

:D

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

gazgolf1
25th January 2005, 01:59 PM

Well Choppa when a man loves a woman the woman gets down on all fours....etc etc etc :wink:

Jarro
25th January 2005, 02:36 PM

trust me Gaz ....

.. you can't make a woman grunt in 1.5 minutes :roll:

laugh maybe... but not grunt :oops:

Choppa
25th January 2005, 04:19 PM

Well Choppa when a man loves a woman the woman gets down on all fours....etc etc etc :wink:

Got it. You make her wash the floor :wink:

Ducky
25th January 2005, 04:38 PM
It's been, gone, and she won. Aparently it was pretty hot, moist and wet out there today...
Sounds like one hell of a tennis match!

:shock:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Golfgirl
26th January 2005, 07:38 PM
Well, I'm terribly disappointed because I thought that Alicia was going to give Davenport a dusting today.... but she just couldn't get there in the end. :(

If she keeps this form up though, it is only a matter of time before she takes out a Slam.....

And our first Aussie female into the Top Ten (come Monday) in how long???? :D

Fishman Dan
27th January 2005, 08:33 AM
She had this match but too many errors. Davenport looked shattered at the end of it - much have been pretty hot out there.

And if she won she had some unknown Frenchy in the Semi's, should have been a finals berth.

The difference was Dav's winners were always about a foot inside any of the lines, but Molik's attempts were always 2-3" outside the lines.

A few dusty line calls didn't help, especially 2 crucial over-rules by the chair umpire (one on the baseline that was out, overruled IN, and an ACE that was over-ruled OUT but clearly took the line) - both very wrong, and both against Alicia.

amanda
27th January 2005, 08:44 AM
Good on Alicia for putting up a great fight yesterday - a day of "if onlys" with those line calls - things might have been very different.

3oneday
27th January 2005, 08:48 AM
Fishy, your last begs the question, has the umpiring always been this shit, or is it just being highlighted with the use of hawk eye ???

It cost Molik the opportunity to go ahead 8-7, not saying she should/would have won, but she was serving first, in the box seat.

Same thing last night with Hewitt, one call was half a foot wide.... and called in ?? Surely with todays technology this shouldn't be happening ??

Pete

Jarro
27th January 2005, 08:53 AM
Surely with todays technology this shouldn't be happening ??

spot on Pete.

i mean, we the viewers can see "hawkeye" give it's verdict instantly.. so why not give a direct feed to the umpire :?:

let's get it 100% right 100% of the time.

AndyP
27th January 2005, 08:54 AM
I thought it was a great effort to break back in the third set. Just couldn't quite get another one. :(

Unfortunately I only saw a little in the middle, and the very end, as I was wasting my time on the golf course. Heard most of the last set, but it's not quite the same on the radio.

And our first Aussie female into the Top Ten (come Monday) in how long????
I think Hana Mandlikova was the last one, and she was adopted. :roll:

AndyP
27th January 2005, 08:57 AM
i mean, we the viewers can see "hawkeye" give it's verdict instantly.. so why not give a direct feed to the umpire :?:

let's get it 100% right 100% of the time.
Hawkeye is not 100% right, as we can see from the cricket.

Another point that has been made that it is only available on the main courts ATM, and would be very expensive to implement on all playing courts.
Although I have heard that the system may be used at the US Open.

Fishman Dan
27th January 2005, 09:05 AM
HawkEye gets it wrong too often for me. Jim Courier has even noted that on some occasions during the tournament.

There have been too many incidents where the balls has visibly hit the line, and HawkEye doesn't agree.

Jarro
27th January 2005, 09:08 AM
.. then why even have the damn thing :?

i kinda think the one they use for the cricket is pretty accurate. I haven't seen any real shockers with it yet.

Fishman Dan
27th January 2005, 09:10 AM
Fishy, your last begs the question, has the umpiring always been this s#$%, or is it just being highlighted with the use of hawk eye ???

I've watched enough tennis to know that yesterday was simply crap. Any time the ball went near the line you expected to hear..

"OUT - CORRECTION".....

I think yesterday's line calls were just nervous line judges, but the Molik overrules were a disgrace. I don't think the technology used at the moment is the answer.

I think Navratilova hit the nail on the head - you can accept a wrong call if it's 1-2" out, and get on with life. If it's any more and/or the chair steps in to mess things up further, you should get concerned.

All credit to Molik for not blowing up - but i think that she should have played the Dodgy Call Card and had a crack at the umpire, to let him know that she's emotionally in the match. Hewitt did it well last night - challenged, but didn't go over the top.

AndyP
27th January 2005, 09:27 AM
.. then why even have the damn thing :?
The tennis tours haven't organised it, it's the media that uses it. But I'm sure the tour is monitoring how it is going.

I can't remember as many bad calls before as what there were yesterday. It just seemed to keep happening. I'm surprised a linesperson wasn't removed.

McMw
27th January 2005, 05:41 PM
was watching the last game of the Shara/Serena match just now...

boy...doesn't Shara grunt it out with the best... :wink:

Jarro
27th January 2005, 05:45 PM
was watching the last game of the Shara/Serena match just now...

boy...doesn't Shara grunt it out with the best... :wink:

you said it :shock: that was really starting to piss me off after about 3 games :x

amanda
27th January 2005, 05:58 PM
I believe McAvaney called her the Siberian Squealer!

Jarro
27th January 2005, 06:52 PM

Well Bruce would certainly know a good squeal when he heard one.

Golfgirl
27th January 2005, 07:47 PM

Classic...... :lol: :lol:

And I personally just hate to watch her play - the squealing certainly takes away from the game.... :evil: