PDA

View Full Version : Right-sided swing? Yes, but…

edhannan
19th August 2009, 09:58 AM
Some time back I was persuaded by Gary Edwin’s swing philosophy and committed to that road. I have struggled, mostly with pulls and hooks. My setup and backswing seemed OK but then…arrghh… over the top and “Fore left.”
Couldn’t seem to find the patience or swing key to drop the arms before turning. Embarrassed to say how many and what things I tried.

I believe I’ve found my answer on the left side. At the top, I’m borrowing a swing thought from the one-plane camp. I just leave my hands and arms behind and (to simplify) start the left shoulder back toward its starting point. I try to keep the hands/arms as is right through impact.

Results… an Edwin devotee making progress by thinking left side: swinging effortlessly, arms dropping nicely into the slot, hitting it flush and feeling nicely balanced. The right side seems to be doing all that it’s supposed to do.

Reviewed Edwin’s library of right-sided swingers with new eyes (especially the front-on views) focussing on what the left-side is doing. A new perspective? Or am I stating the obvious?

razaar
19th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Here are a few other thoughts which may help to get the arms moving.

tilt the left shoulder upwards to start the downswing - this moves the arms and delays the shoulders, tilting vs turning.
leave back facing the target or stomach away from target (whichever suits you) and swing down with the left elbow under the left shoulder or the chin (the position your hands started at address).
a swing thought of "turn and lift, drop and turn".
turn and return preserving your posture and body angles (you will need strong and flexibile core muscles) with really soft arms.
soft arms are a must, it is tight arms which pull the ball left because they are too slow for the body turn.

rebjon
19th August 2009, 06:06 PM
Yup been there and still the lefts crop up with my RSS.

1. Check your feet alignment bet your standing closed to compensate...hows the shanks going, trying to get it from the inside to stop the left ?????
2. Axis tilt or your Shape should feel like your shoulders are pointing right of target when feet are setup square, it wont actually be right of target but it will feel like it.
3. Check your divots should be straight or slightly right of target.
4. Get an enforcer a piece or 4x2 wood about 500mm long. Place it next to the ball in the direction of your target. Good alignment tool and if you hit it(the enforcer) your OTT. (train the brain)
5. Watch the flip, if your all arms that will be the tendency, its a body release for RSS.

Do this on the range, you will re-program your alignments and stop the lefts.....

Yossarian
19th August 2009, 06:12 PM
Good tips rebjon and razz.

Been working on this edwin stuff, getting some serious compression, melting irons that kind of thing.

But I have been putting some balls left. Good food for thought.

edhannan
19th August 2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the ideas, Razaar and Rebjon. I think, in fact, it is moving the left shoulder upward to start the downswing that is bringing the results I want. It’s a simple swing thought and seems to get things in sequence for me.

I am and have been very attentive to body angles. For now, at any rate, I am not softening the arms. Shanks have been rare and limited to wedge shots. Even with Canada’s excellent medical insurance, I am not likely to try the 2X4 “enforcer,” though I know others have found it helpful.

I suppose the problems I was experiencing could make an interesting study in teaching/learning. On Gary’s website, the language and visuals of the instructional material emphasize (appropriately) the right side’s movements, particularly in the backswing and the start of the downswing. I got overly focussed on trying to perform those right side movements. I got too mechanical and, especially after a bad shot or two, stood over the ball with a head full of worms.
I’m seeing now that by shifting my attention to the left side I am making those movements happen indirectly.

Looking back, I don’t think the time and effort was wasted. That is, in spite of the frustrations, I made some good changes that are paying off now. But, I do wish that the penny had dropped earlier.