PDA

View Full Version : Drills for preventing a flat swing???

grandmasterb
12th August 2009, 05:50 PM
Just wondering what are the best drills to help prevent/stop a flat swing (coming inside early) i have alot of free time at the moment and something i need to work on???

Any help appreciated

Cheers Ben

Webster
12th August 2009, 06:08 PM
swing more upright.

TheTrueReview
12th August 2009, 06:09 PM
Careful. Usually the too upright swing does more damage.

Webster
12th August 2009, 06:41 PM
I said "more" upright, not "too" upright.

razaar
12th August 2009, 06:41 PM
Just wondering what are the best drills to help prevent/stop a flat swing (coming inside early) i have alot of free time at the moment and something i need to work on???

Any help appreciated

Cheers Ben
Most flat swings are caused by a lift of the arms followed by a turn of the body which causes the arms to lower towards the completion of the backswing. The correction is to turn the body and then lift the arms to get the arm plane higher than the shoulder plane. Be sure to have the thumbs pointing upwards which makes the club lighter. Should the thumbs get lower than 45* in the raising part of the backswing, the club will become laid-off.

grandmasterb
12th August 2009, 06:50 PM
Most flat swings are caused by a lift of the arms followed by a turn of the body which causes the arms to lower towards the completion of the backswing. The correction is to turn the body and then lift the arms to get the arm plane higher than the shoulder plane. Be sure to have the thumbs pointing upwards which makes the club lighter. Should the thumbs get lower than 45* in the raising part of the backswing, the club will become laid-off.

Exactly what is happening, im trying to overcompensate my lack of overall turn and this is happening.

grandmasterb
12th August 2009, 11:12 PM
razaar do you recommend practicing the take away whilst standing up against a wall???

razaar
13th August 2009, 06:20 AM
razaar do you recommend practicing the take away whilst standing up against a wall???
No because it can lead to dropping the left shoulder into a steep plane. Take Tom Watson's swing - he turns his shoulders on a fairly flat plane (retains his posture angle) but he lifts his arms and left shoulder. The best drill is to put a few tees between the ball position and and your foot line at 4 inch spaces. At the top of your swing you should be able to see the tee closest to the ball but not the others with a horizontal shoulder plane and an upright arm plane. The flat shoulder plane creates the inside to inside element to the swing while the upright arms allows for the up & down & up element necessary to hit a ball sitting on the ground. If the shoulders get steep the inside to inside part is lost causing a steep attack on the ball where it should be a shallow attack from inside. Hope this helps.

3oneday
13th August 2009, 06:20 AM
I would have thought better weight transfer would be more appropriate.

But I do like Jacks suggestion too :lol:

virge666
14th August 2009, 09:48 AM

Any help appreciated

Cheers Ben

Are you a single plane or a two plane swinger ? Do you swing with your arms or your shoulders ?

Careful what you wish for . . . you need to answer this question first, before you change anything.

Cause my money says posture will solve all your dramas.