PDA

View Full Version : Tour Equipment . . .

virge666
12th August 2009, 11:15 AM
Howdy there... interested to know why you buy tour issued equipment.

What advantages do you see in it
How much more would you pay for it.

Anyone got any real number differences . . . off a launchy.

I got asked a question from a fellow ozGolfer and wanted other people's input.

Veefore
12th August 2009, 01:22 PM
The only tour equipment I have used is ex-tour players stuff that was handed down to me. Both were wedges. A 52° that used to belong to Craig Parry and a 60° that was used by Ross Metherell on the Euro Senior Tour. Other than a putter, these are probably the only "Tour" stuff that would be of use to me. My swing speed and technique is probably more suited to fairly standard equipment.

As far as Irons and woods go, I am interested in why others would use them too. I am sure there are some for whom a good fit would be found.

Webster
12th August 2009, 01:22 PM
Virge,

Tour gear :

- looks sweeter
- feels sweeter
- hits further
- hits straighter
- spins like crazy (or not at all if its a driver)
- can be re-sold at huge profits on this forum
- makes your manhood larger, your performance longer, and intensifies your orgasms.

Other than that, no different to regular gear. Hope this helps.

Jack.

kwantfm
12th August 2009, 01:30 PM
I've generally bought tour equipment that never made it to retail... things like TM 300 Tour and 500 Tour. I've also bought Tour R7s and R7 Shallows well after they stopped producing them retail (eBay stores were obviously getting rid of TM tour stock well after the product life cycle had ended) simply because I liked the R7. I'm not a good enough player to be able to really differentiate between Tour and retail. I have bought Tour more because I like the base club in terms of aesthetics and feel and Tour happened to be the easiest access point.

Hux
12th August 2009, 09:03 PM
R9 Tour issue head - cause it was not much more $ than a stock R9 at the time and I had the shaft I wanted already.

Ask Ned whether he thinks there is a difference in the head...I say not - just QA'd for loft etc.

zigwah
12th August 2009, 09:19 PM
Is that all the difference is? better Q&A? i've never bought any tour gear b4.

Matt 3 Jab
12th August 2009, 09:25 PM
I think the most important things with tour gear are #1 tighter tolerances, #2 you can find a club that has the spec's you want, #3 stuff that doesnt come to retail, and #4 coolnes factor of some tour only clubs.

Scottt
12th August 2009, 09:37 PM
Virge, do you mean legit tour gear, or run of the mill retail stuff marked TOUR?

As far as the latter, all I can see is that they often come with better choice of shaft and a square or slightly open face, which suits me because I hit a draw and don't like closed faces.

The former? if it was built for a tour pro, it's too much club for me!

bebo
12th August 2009, 09:47 PM
I buy tour issue items because my mates are pros and I get to try things that are not yet release to public (or never will be).

Some items are worth while to keep too. i.e. hand forged vokeys, TM 200 smoothie... etc.

TheTrueReview
12th August 2009, 09:47 PM
Don't forget guys that not all of the tour players hit 'tour' stuff.

From recollection Ernie Els won his first US Open hitting a 3 wood he bought from the pro shop (saw a TV special about E.E. which mentioned it).

My memory is failing me a bit about the precise details but Kenny Perry plays a putter that was given to him by a spectator or a friend (non-tour player) & he loved it & has played it ever since.

... and I think there's a John Daly story there somewhere about buying a non-tour club from a pro shop prior to a tournament. Unfortunately my memory just ran out of batteries.

Any other examples??

moree golfer
12th August 2009, 09:55 PM
Mark Calcavechia buying a Ping putter from a sporting goods store.

zacdullard
12th August 2009, 09:58 PM
I'm sure using "tour" gear just fills the ego of many golfers.

henno
12th August 2009, 10:03 PM
I use tour-issued ball markers. They have tighter tolerances and sit more open.

TheTrueReview
12th August 2009, 10:06 PM

:lol: :smt038

Yossarian
12th August 2009, 10:09 PM

:-k

:lol:

Tour issue gloves?

Johnny Canuck
12th August 2009, 10:16 PM
I buy tour issue items because my mates are pros and I get to try things that are not yet release to public (or never will be).

Some items are worth while to keep too. i.e. hand forged vokeys, TM 200 smoothie... etc.

Sharing is good bebo!

TheNuclearOne
12th August 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm sure using "tour" gear just fills the ego of many golfers.

True in many cases, but far from all. There are those that know their shit and make well informed decisions.

Many people have no idea of what tour issue is and isn't across the various brands. Some models of a certain brand the tour issue will be markedly different while others aren't, and tour issue meaning varies from one company to another often as well. E.G. Titty tour issue drivers are basically off the shelf full stop excepting the obvious in the D4.

Reasons for tour issue can be various, from wanting a tip size of .335 (driver e.g. T-Spec T loft ) or .355 (irons e.g. R7 Tour Tapers) to the whole different COG thing (indeed valid in some drivers).

mike
12th August 2009, 11:27 PM
I bought a TP Burner off haysey because he told me it would give my drives a lower trajectory.

It appears he is correct.

3oneday
13th August 2009, 07:27 AM
Virge, do you mean legit tour gear, or run of the mill retail stuff marked TOUR?
do you mean like my Topflite Tours ??? Everyone should want these...

I remember when BSG used to spout that Tour Issue drivers were made with higher quality titanium as well. That was hilarious.

I believe that buying "new" tour gear you are given the benefit of seeing the precise specs. I have bough a few drivers and fairways and you can see the weight, the face angle, the exact loft and also the exact lie.

Made no ****ing difference, but it was nice to know.

dc68
13th August 2009, 09:28 AM
I remember seeing a 510 TP that TM built for Wayne Perske it had all the specs and the sweet spot marked with a cross on the face. The thing is he could probably find it.

bebo
13th August 2009, 10:32 AM
Sharing is good bebo!

I tried to offload some tour issued items here and I got either no responses OR been classed as a fake due to unlisted tip size. :cry:

Seriously the tour issue items in general aren't that much betters - yes in some cases you got the unique items (like the Titleist F6s) and other time you get the items that are specially made (different grinds or hot melts etc)

Unique item is one thing!

The specially customised items - they are made to suit a particular individual and/or particular course condition - which will not meet everyone's need.