PDA

View Full Version : Australia v West Indies - Gabba - 21/01/2005.

Ducky
21st January 2005, 03:06 PM
Well the West Indies are now potentially in trouble with 3 wickets fallen (Gayle, Sarwan, and Lara) and they still have Hinds in batting who is poking around and scoring stuff all runs (like against Pakistan).

I desperately would like to see the West Indies get a big total and put some pressure on the Australian batting line up, but there isn't much chance of that when some dickhead umpire gives out Lara for 6 when he had missed the ball by several inches.

:roll:

Discuss.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
21st January 2005, 03:25 PM
did you hear the snicko Ducky :?:

there was a helluva noise there :?

Ducky
21st January 2005, 06:08 PM
I can understand that in real time it would have been tough to pick apart from a genuine edge due to the ball travelling at around 150km/p, but this is his profession and in my opinion it was still a terrible decision (cracked bat handle or not). Maybe if he took off his sunglasses he might be able to see the ball.

:wink:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Onewood
21st January 2005, 06:24 PM
I have the answer to the Lara incident :idea:

Let the batsman, appeal the discission (third umpire) and if he wins he stays in….but if he loses he is fined X amount of dollars. (similar to an appeal by footballers)

What would it be used for :roll:
Snicks
Catches (Although doubtful ones are sent to the 3rd umpire now anyway)
LBW

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 07:17 PM
did you hear the snicko Ducky :?:

there was a helluva noise there :?

Even at grade level you get a taste of what it's like to be an umpire - and from that close you can see a whole lot more than on TV. No excuses, shocking decision because it's missed by inches.

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 09:33 PM
Queensland weather eh? :roll:

So, ah... Andrew Symonds? ;)

Got to say the D/L amount required for 28 overs was harsh, but that's the Duckworth Lewis for you - if Australia was 0 wickets at the interruption then the winning total probably would have been 25 runs less.

Ducky
21st January 2005, 09:47 PM
It has been called off. They [West Indies] only completed a total of 11 of the required 20 overs before it started to run once again.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
22nd January 2005, 03:16 AM
sorry about the weather guys :(

3oneday
22nd January 2005, 03:41 AM
So, ah... Andrew Symonds? ;)

Got to say the D/L amount required for 28 overs was harshagree, get rid of him, 5 of 6 innings ducks, long enough.

This Duckworth thing, what do they do, take all the worst overs off or something, they lose 22 overs and the run chase is only reduced by 60 runs :shock: :shock: , no wonder the Aussies (or anyone for that matter) never want to bat 2nd.
:P :x
Pete

Fishman Dan
22nd January 2005, 09:42 AM
I knew someone would ask for an explanation of the D/L system.

I don't know how it works, but it's based on something like this; Team A scores the runs, Team B's target gets adjusted according to when the rain came and how many wickets down.

Because Australia lost 2 wickets, it's 'perceived' the chase would be harder for them than it would if they had 10 wickets to spare. For every wicket lost before the rain, the winning total goes up.

What it does do successfully is make it fairer. Gone are the days when a shortened run chase is based on run rate - it's much easier to score at 6 per over for 20 overs than it is for 50 overs. Back in the old days the team batting 2nd rarely lost a match in a rain interrupted game.

Then there was that World Cup game in Sydney between England and Sth Africa in the early 90's, when S.A. were making a great comeback, had the game down to needing 13 runs off 7 balls and looked like doing it in a canter. Then a spot of rain came, they came back out to play - the total was now 13 runs required off 1 ball.

AndyP
24th January 2005, 11:27 AM
:cry: Damn rain. I suppose seeing 61 overs, is better than seeing none like last time. And this time we didn't stuff around, but went straight to the pub when the rain came. ;)

I think it is stupid how people are saying that if it wasn't for the rain, the Windies would have won. That's crap. If it wasn't for the rain, the Aussies wouldn't have been set such a horrid run chase (thanks to D/L), and there would not have been all that movement for the bowlers.

I can't believe Hinds scored that century either. I don't think he deserved it, too many edges or play and misses.

How good was Kaspa's run-out and catch? Absolutely fantastic. :shock: :lol:

Oh well, at least this summer I got to see the best day of test cricket I have ever seen. 8)

Ducky
24th January 2005, 12:43 PM
Were you watching the same game I was? Australia were already two out before the rain reduced the amount of overs to be played (hence, why the D/L system did not favour them), and none of the Australians even looked like scoring any runs (especially against Collins).

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

AndyP
24th January 2005, 12:56 PM
Were you watching the same game I was? Australia were already two out before the rain reduced the amount of overs to be played

Yep, I was at the ground.
Two out is hardly a disaster for the Australian team. One of them was Hayden who has been a passenger in this series anyway. And they were only 5 overs down when the rain came.

They certainly were not in a losing position.

-----

I was sitting in the stands directly behind Lara, when Taufel gave him out. We couldn't figure out what was happening until we saw Taufel's finger. Didn't look out from behind the batter. It was very disappointing. :(

Jarro
24th January 2005, 01:38 PM
fact is, the Aussies were bloody lucky the rain came, 'cos they would have got their arses kicked pretty hard that night.

No-one looked comfortable against the Windies bowlers, particularly Collins who was getting plenty of swing.

yep, the good old QLD rain saved our boys from a big loss that night.

AndyP
24th January 2005, 01:48 PM
No-one looked comfortable against the Windies bowlers, particularly Collins who was getting plenty of swing.
Only after the initial rain delay. :roll:

Jarro
24th January 2005, 02:00 PM
Only after the initial rain delay. :roll:

well from what i saw on the telly, he was swinging it HEAPS from the word go .. naturally after the rain, it was going to swing even more.