PDA

View Full Version : AndyP's hunt for new irons

AndyP
21st January 2005, 08:56 AM
I thought that I had convinced myself that I needed new irons, but now I'm not so sure.

I currently use Palmer Prizms, that have a cavity back and are offset. (That's pretty technical talk for me. Perhaps someone else could provide more details on my clubs. :oops: ) I bought these clubs about 4.5 years ago, when I first started getting into golf seriously, and the only thing I have done to them is change grips within the last few months.

What benefits will I get out of new irons, that I am not getting from my current irons? Are my current clubs hindering my scoring potential?
OR
Would I be better off just putting a shaft that suits me in the Prizms, and getting the lofts checked/corrected?

Some of you have seen my swing, and seen my clubs, so you may be able to provide some feedback, that others cannot.

Cheers
Andy

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 09:03 AM
Tough one AP - you're playing pretty good golf - why change? Then again, coming from me ..... :oops:

In all seriousness - get all over those Ping Blades Reg is selling in the Pro Shop, they are sweet clubs. Ok, i'm coming from quite possibly the most unforgiving set on the site (in the Norman Grind's), but the Ping I3 Blades are great to hit.

The thing i found with dabbling around with the HO's, you don't get a fit-up so you want to wait until the right deal comes your way ;) I got lucky with my retail trade-in bargain, doesn't hurt to ask retail stores if they have had any recent trades.

As for changing shafts - it was going to cost me $400-500 for a set of shafts for the Grind's, so that's when i set myself a target spend 8)

AndyP
21st January 2005, 09:08 AM
Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now. Although I have had a good look at several sets thrown up on this website over the past few months. =P~ Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have strong willpower. ;)

Whatever I do get, I could not possibly buy without trying first (at least that make anyway, if I was to buy from ebay or something).

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 09:13 AM
Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now. Although I have had a good look at several sets thrown up on this website over the past few months. =P~ Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have strong willpower. ;)

Whatever I do get, I could not possibly buy without trying first (at least that make anyway, if I was to buy from ebay or something).

When can anyone afford anything? Never - just bloody do it :twisted:

Hooley dooley, i'm turning into Jarro.... :shock:

Bruce
21st January 2005, 10:35 AM

I had salespeople rolling their eyes every time I went in at lunchtime to kick tires and compare items. I spent time with every kind of putter they had on the floor spending whole lunchtimes on their test greens. And then I bought the Monza on eBay. Patience is a virtue.

davidp
21st January 2005, 11:10 AM
Honestly, the best thing you can do is have your clubs and your swing assessed by a professional clubfitter. :wink:

They will check out your iron swing speed, where you are soling the club (making contact with the ground) and talk to you about your game and your goals.

Then they will tell you if your current irons are suitable as is, if they need reshafting or tweaked for lie and loft or if a completely new set is warranted.

Just remember when you change irons there's usually an adjustment period until you can trust them. For ho's it's usually 9 holes, :lol: for non-ho's it can be much longer.

If you know your specs well enough, on-line shopping through eBay can save you a bit of money, but you don't have the luxury of trialling the club first.

Just my $0.02 worth. :)

BrisVegas
21st January 2005, 11:26 AM
Honestly, the best thing you can do is have your clubs and your swing assessed by a professional clubfitter. :wink:

They will check out your iron swing speed, where you are soling the club (making contact with the ground) and talk to you about your game and your goals.

Then they will tell you if your current irons are suitable as is, if they need reshafting or tweaked for lie and loft or if a completely new set is warranted.

If you know your specs well enough, on-line shopping through eBay can save you a bit of money, but you don't have the luxury of trialling the club first.

David speaks the truth. 8)
Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker. A decent one will not "push" you into buying a set of their brand of clubs (after all, you paid a fee for the fitting session). If you don't need to change for any technical reason... dont! I need to go back and get my lies & lofts checked, so I can take you to GCI if you want...

If you need longer/shorter/stiffer/softer shafts then ditch the prizms. Shafts are gonna set you back around $30 each. Get a new set of clubs made for you or find a set with the specs required. If the clubfitter tells you that you need something other than "standard" lie angle clubs, then you gotta look at Pings or forged etc. to accommodate this. Cast clubs can't be bent more than 1-2 degrees safely.

Fishy got lucky with his Pings. If you're patient and know what specs you need, you might find a cheap used set come up too. Or you can do what I did and buy a cheap set of forged irons and then adjust the length/lie to suit. Either way, $500 should find you in some great, well-fitted irons.

Keza_G
21st January 2005, 11:29 AM
AP,

I believe that you grow into clubs and after a certain time you can actually grow out of them..... 4.5 years is a long time to have a set. If you are looking seriously at improving your game, you do need to try other things.

Golf clubs are not like women, you can try out many differing ones and not get in strife, so why not ? I have 2 sets myself and am going to buy a set of the new smt irons when they come out, that'll make 3. I have Titleist DCI-b (1iron to PW) , Taylor Made RAC LT"S (2iron to PW) and soon the SMT 303mb's (3iron to PW).

Spread yourself around, try them all..... you will find the one's you feel really comfortable with.... try them again and then fall in love with them..

Confidence in your clubs can mean 5 shots on your score card....and that's my $0.02 worth too...

Cheers

Keza

3oneday
21st January 2005, 12:27 PM
Andippy,

Forget all that calculated stuff, get yourself a set of blades 8) and stop mucking around. Jarros probably got a spare set in the shed :roll:

Otherwise, if you need the input of this lot to convince you, then you don't really want to do it, so lock the thread now, should I click the report button for you ???

:twisted: :lol: :lol:

Never make the decision based on the assumption that a new set of sticks will get you to the next "level", ask yourself "what CAN'T I do with my current set that I want to do with the next set", the next question would then be, "why do I think I can do that with the next set ??".

Can I shape it the way I want to, hit it high, hit it low ???? why do you want to change ??? do folks give you a hard time about the "prisms" ?? why, why, why ???

Pete

davidp
21st January 2005, 12:41 PM
Andippy,

Never make the decision based on the assumption that a new set of sticks will get you to the next "level", ask yourself "what CAN'T I do with my current set that I want to do with the next set", the next question would then be, "why do I think I can do that with the next set ??".

Can I shape it the way I want to, hit it high, hit it low ???? why do you want to change ??? do folks give you a hard time about the "prisms" ?? why, why, why ???

Pete

And, of course, a true ho' doesn't stop to think about all that stuff. :twisted: They just think, "Oooohhhh, pretty clubs. Gotta get me a piece of that." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 01:04 PM
Fishy got lucky with his Pings. If you're patient and know what specs you need, you might find a cheap used set come up too. Or you can do what I did and buy a cheap set of forged irons and then adjust the length/lie to suit. Either way, $500 should find you in some great, well-fitted irons.

:smt023 You got that right. I did plenty of looking, pushing and prodding around to see what's out there. In that time I some advice and had a fair idea of what i needed, and I was lucky enough to find something retail that was traded-in by a 27 handicapper (allegedly :roll:) who was desperate to get something else.

The beauty-part was that I had the chance to hit them in the nets in-store and quickly determined they were the correct lie angle, as i struck a bunch of balls consistently in the right spot.

markTHEblake
21st January 2005, 01:12 PM
you need to add to the Poll;

: your kidding - the best Ozgolfer doesnt need new sticks, he needs new opponents.

markTHEblake
21st January 2005, 01:14 PM
Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker. .

Why pay? I thought most do it for free. If they dont, got to GCI, they are free, and not pushy at all.

BrisVegas
21st January 2005, 01:19 PM
Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker. .

Why pay? I thought most do it for free. If they dont, got to GCI, they are free, and not pushy at all.

Last time I was there (a year ago) they told me I was one of the last fitting sessions they would do for free. They were implementing a charge for the service. I belive that charge was reimbursed if you bought gear from them, however.

I agree, they are not pushy though. :)

McMw
21st January 2005, 02:11 PM
that 30 - 40 bucks would be money well spent IMO...

Jarro
21st January 2005, 02:31 PM
Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now.

.. well why waste time even thinking about getting any then :roll:

seriously though, new irons will improve your game ... i think the Prisms are a little "dated" and aren't quite the most forgiving around :P

andylo
21st January 2005, 03:04 PM
Andy, ask yourself this question:

What is the ONE THING that you expect your next set of iron will do for you?

i.e....

Gaz change from MP30 -> Cally X16 pro and expected greater forgiveness

Kee change from Adams GT-U -> Mizuno expected a softer feeling off the face

Me change from Factor :p -> Adams GT-U because I want no offset and more aggresive loft.

If you can answer that, you know if you need a new iron or not :)

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 05:57 PM

Took me for $70 for a little over an hours work here in Sydney. :evil: Of course, that $70 is also the first part of any work he does to your sticks.

McMw
21st January 2005, 10:29 PM
Why should AndyP buy new irons?

so that he can join the rest of us in the year 2005... :wink:

Eag's
22nd January 2005, 10:23 AM
AndyP get rid of those door stops you are using and try something a little more up to date. It will make a difference to your game trust me :wink: I now have a set that suits my swing and they feel great of the clubface. Plus I love how they look :D

You don't have to go out and spend a fortune, just have a good look around and you will pick yourself up a bargain.

Flowergirl
22nd January 2005, 11:04 AM
Don't worry if they are a "bargain". Get a set that are fitted for you and that you will have confidence in. Golf is such a game of confidence and if you have doubts in your equipment -your performance is bound to suffer.
Go to a club fitter - see if you trust their judgement - then go from there.

Thats my $0.04c worth ( It's a Saturday - double time!!)

AndyP
24th January 2005, 09:59 AM
David speaks the truth. 8)
Spend the $30-40 or whatever it costs to have a fitting session at a clubmaker.
I need to go back and get my lies & lofts checked, so I can take you to GCI if you want...
Sounds like a plan. I was thinking that I would need to do this.

$500 should find you in some great, well-fitted irons.
Now you are talking my sort of language. $$$$$$ That's good news. :)

Hey, I'm asking the questions here. :x :wink:
Pete, I'm not really sure what I would want to do with the next set. :? Good point.
I just figured I might hit it better than the current irons. :smt102

Quick disclaimer: Finances probably aren't in a position to buy irons right now.
.. well why waste time even thinking about getting any then :roll:
So I can start thinking about it, and start saving now if I have to. ;)

Don't worry if they are a "bargain". Get a set that are fitted for you and that you will have confidence in.
FG, you recently got some fitted clubs. Do you mind telling me how much these set you back?

new irons will improve your game ... i think the Prisms are a little "dated" and aren't quite the most forgiving around :P

AndyP get rid of those door stops you are using and try something a little more up to date. It will make a difference to your game trust me.
How will it make a difference? Better feel? More control?
Considering my clubs were a beginner set, you would have to expect a fair bit of forgiveness, wouldn't you?

-----

I'm surprised that noone has suggested I get fitting for a 0° putter yet? :shock: :lol:

Thanks for you help. Keep it coming. :cool:

BrisVegas
24th January 2005, 10:02 AM
I'm surprised that noone has suggested I get fitting for a 0° putter yet? :shock: :lol:

Why bother??? You chip quite well with your current putter. :lol: :wink:

Eag's
24th January 2005, 12:41 PM

Why bother??? You chip quite well with your current putter. :lol: :wink:

:smt046 :smt043 you asked for that one AndyP

macleod
8th February 2005, 08:11 AM
andy, go the free fit session with the GCI guys.

you can get the form off their website so you can fill it out in advance, cuts down time on the floor. runs you through what you like/.dislike about your current setup, leading to talking and a go upstairs on the swing machine.

might be a simple matter of what shot tendancies you have with your current ones could be tweaked by a lie adjustment and they become even more pure gold.

i haven't played a round in your group for yonks, from memory you play the prizms excellently, nice pick off the grass, great high flight..

anything troubling you about them particularly?

you swing is so good you are at a hcap level of ability where fitting will benefit you way more than the rest of us back in the pack so the GCI guys will certainly be able to assist.

if not them, try Peter Shaw over at Oxley, his computer/vid cam setup is excellent and will give you better visual feedback immediately of your iron play, ss etc.

AndyP
8th February 2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks Macca.

I do remember seeing that form of GCIs a year or so ago. I'll have to go and check it out again.

i haven't played a round in your group for yonks, from memory you play the prizms excellently, nice pick off the grass, great high flight..
I've since tried to get rid of the "nice pick off the grass" style, as it was very inconsistent. I'm not afraid to take divots now.

anything troubling you about them particularly?
It's a question I have been asking myself. I really need to have a good think about how I am hitting them. Maybe if I have a hit of a different set of irons, I will see what I am missing. :smt102

Fishman Dan
8th February 2005, 10:18 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36219&item=7132368764&rd=1

Come on AP - join the revolution.

You know you wanna... ;) :twisted:

AndyP
8th February 2005, 10:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36219&item=7132368764&rd=1

Sorry Fishy, I don't use clubs that start with a P and end in a G.

And I don't trust the fact that he doesn't show a pic of the faces of the clubs. Isn't the condition of the face one of the more important features for buying a used club?

Fishman Dan
8th February 2005, 10:35 AM

Sorry Fishy, I don't use clubs that start with a P and end in a G.

And I don't trust the fact that he doesn't show a pic of the faces of the clubs. Isn't the condition of the face one of the more important features for buying a used club?

All i hear is denial, but i know deep in your heart you know what's required.... :smt112

jaster
8th February 2005, 12:44 PM
Don't change cause you think they will make you a better golfer, change because you are sick of your old clubs and want some bling blings. If anyone thinks that having the same clubs that the "PROS" use will make them better than good for you :roll: I have seen too many old skool blade users in my time who can kick a$$ to think that equipment will make you a better golfer..you already have talent, natural ability and skill...get a set that allows you to promote these traits and you'll be even more dangerous. I think Fishman Dan was on the right track ;)

AndyP
5th September 2005, 02:33 PM
Only took me 7 months, but I finally had a clubfitting session. :smt023

Now I can start trying out clubs.

andylo
5th September 2005, 02:36 PM
yeah... only after you know what is what you hitted.

AndyP
5th September 2005, 02:44 PM
I can't help it if I am an equipment dummy, A-Lo.

I had a hit in the nets at Golfworks at lunchtime with Andy. I have trouble telling the difference from one iron to another. :smt102
As he suggests, I'm going to have to do the majority of my testing outdoors to get a better idea of how I'm hitting it.

andylo
5th September 2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah... ditch both your wife and children and attend some demo day outdoor is a good start :lol:

BrisVegas
5th September 2005, 02:48 PM
Only took me 7 months, but I finally had a clubfitting session.  :smt023

results of your club-fit please.... :wink:

andylo
5th September 2005, 02:56 PM
Only took me 7 months, but I finally had a clubfitting session.  :smt023

results of your club-fit please....   :wink:

Oh you don't want to know about it!

I have asked the questionss and all he answer is "I dunno"sss

AndyP
5th September 2005, 03:01 PM
Let me know if there are any other questions I can assist with.
It's mainly the 6 and the 9 I am having trouble with. ;)

results of your club-fit please....   :wink:
Ummmmm.....it was good. Probably better coming from someone else.

Ben? :smt100

Onewood
5th September 2005, 10:44 PM
It's mainly the 6 and the 9 I am having trouble with.  ;)

I'm glade you spaced that out to get through the swearometer.
Now...here's how it goes...when a man loves a women..and they are alone..and feeling adventurous....

The young fella's did'nt pick up on this one to well :D Brilliant simply Brilliant :roll:

goughy
6th September 2005, 04:57 AM
 I have trouble telling the difference from one iron to another.
Some irons have low numbers on them..like a 3 for example. This has less loft and makes the ball go further. others irons have a high number like an 8 for example...it has more loft and goes higher.
Let me know if there are any other questions I can assist with.

To tell you the truth, I more often than not find that the 8 iron goes further than the 3 iron :oops:

jaster
6th September 2005, 08:02 AM
Alright, back on topic :roll:

So what irons are you looking at getting AP?
Do you have a preference? blades? CBs? etc

What is your budget?

I have a suggestion, it won't break the bank and I am pretty sure you can take them for a demo round 8)

PM me if your interested

AndyP
6th September 2005, 08:46 AM
So what irons are you looking at getting AP?
Anything and everything.
Yesterday I tried various Taylor Mades, Callaways and Pings at Golf Works.

Do you have a preference? blades? CBs? etc
At my level, I would still need cavity backs I would think.

What is your budget?
Still not that sure on that one.  Maybe if I find the right iron, I will pay the right price.

I have a suggestion, it won't break the bank and I am pretty sure you can take them for a demo round  8)
PM me if your interested
I'll hear you out.  PM sent.

BrisVegas
6th September 2005, 08:51 AM
Yesterday I tried various Taylor Mades, Callaways and Pings at Golf Works

AndyP,
what did you like the feel of? Were they regular or stiff shafts, etc.? C'mon throw us a bone here eh? We're interested and would like to help out if possible.

jaster
6th September 2005, 09:04 AM
Just replied to your PM, if nothing else you are thorough AP that is for sure 8)

Cbs :smt023

AndyP
6th September 2005, 12:31 PM
Yesterday I tried various Taylor Mades, Callaways and Pings at Golf Works

AndyP,
what did you like the feel of?  Were they regular or stiff shafts, etc.?  C'mon throw us a bone here eh?  We're interested and would like to help out if possible.
As I said earlier "I have trouble telling the difference from one iron to another."  If I put a good swing on it, it felt good.  If I didn't, it didn't feel so good.

There were a mixture of reg and stiff shafts, I think.

A-Lo might be able to correct me on what clubs I hit, but from memory I tried Ping I3 Blade, Ping S59, TM RAC LT, TM RAC OS, Callaway Big Bertha, Callaway X-Tour,.......He just kept shoving a few in my hands to have a hit of.  :roll:

I just couldn't really distinguish between them hitting in an indoor net.

So the only thing I learnt from my session yesterday, is that I need to hit these things on the course/range.

andylo
6th September 2005, 12:37 PM
That Cally Big Bertha thing is actually ERC Fusion 6 iron! Remeber I told you it has Ti face?!?!

Gezzzzz....... :roll:

AndyP
6th September 2005, 12:41 PM
Gee Whiz, I thought I did pretty well listing all of those, and you had to be negative about it. :(

jaster
6th September 2005, 12:41 PM
LOL ALO

BrisVegas
6th September 2005, 12:42 PM
fair enough AndyP. Do you remember what the Callaway X-Tour felt like versus the other Callaway? ie. forged versus steel. That'd be a good place to start. Find out which sort of metal you prefer the feel of.

AndyP
6th September 2005, 12:46 PM
Do you remember what the Callaway X-Tour felt like versus the other Callaway?  ie. forged versus steel.  That'd be a good place to start.  Find out which sort of metal you prefer the feel of.
OK. :smt023

BrisVegas
6th September 2005, 12:50 PM
meant to say forged versus cast.. :?

andylo
6th September 2005, 12:50 PM
fair enough AndyP.   Do you remember what the Callaway X-Tour felt like versus the other Callaway?  ie. forged versus steel.  That'd be a good place to start.  Find out which sort of metal you prefer the feel of.

:lol:!!! The last club he hit yesterday is the XTour that I hand to him...

Then I ask him do you think its a casted or forged.... he said...

CAST! :lol:

BrisVegas
6th September 2005, 01:38 PM
:lol:!!! The last club he hit yesterday is the XTour that I hand to him...

Then I ask him do you think its a casted or forged.... he said...

CAST!  :lol:

Fair enough. No need to waste money on (usually more expensive) forged irons then.... :roll:

Not sure of it came up here or ISG, but apparently the golf ball you use makes way more difference to the subjective "feel" of a club than whether it's forged or cast.

In which case, the only real advantage of a forged iron would be the adjustability.

AndyP
6th September 2005, 01:56 PM
Not sure of it came up here or ISG, but apparently the golf ball you use makes way more difference to the subjective "feel" of a club than whether it's forged or cast.  
Well it's not like all the balls were the same in the nets.

And I may very well be able to tell the difference between cast and forged if I hit them one after the other. Andy handed me a club and wanted me to guess based on very little prior hitting with either.

andylo
6th September 2005, 02:08 PM
But I can tell straight away... :roll:

Well... unless it cast with very very very soft steel... than it's harder.

AndyP
12th September 2005, 10:00 AM
Here are the results from my clubfitting:

Length: 38" 5 iron (standard)
Shaft Flex: Regular
Shaft Type: TX-90
Grip Size: Standard + 3 tapes

jaster
12th September 2005, 10:17 AM
All I can deduce from those results is that you have a girly swing and big Hands :shock: :lol:

3oneday
12th September 2005, 10:17 AM

Grip Size: Standard + 3 tapesthis is what they recommend ???

andylo
12th September 2005, 10:29 AM
I got a few question here...

1) AndyP already got a very high ball flight... sometimes it even balloon! Is TX90 really suits him?
2) For the shaft flex... I am currently using S300 and for record, me and AndyP hit the same iron for about the same length... if he's not longer. I know if still available S100/S200 is more my type of thing but isn't something along the line more suitable to him? Plus TX90 plays a tick softer than DG in the same flex.
3) I think AndyP generate good amount of back spins on his iron... sometime I think it's too much... (which cause the balloon flight). I think TX90 do contribute to put a bit more spin to the ball.
4) Finally, and regarding to point 3... the laser launchy he was on cannot really detect the actual spin rate, right?

AndyP
12th September 2005, 10:41 AM

Grip Size: Standard + 3 tapesthis is what they recommend ???
Yes, this is what was recommended.

Don't expect me to understand what you guys are saying. ;)

For the record, I think I hit my current 5I about 155m.

jaster
12th September 2005, 10:56 AM
Andylo seems right on the money to me...nice work Alo 8)

ben
12th September 2005, 02:37 PM
Andylo,

I can't believe I got it so wrong. AndyP, you better listen do lo's advice and scrap what I suggested.

:)

Ben

AndyP
12th September 2005, 03:03 PM
I can't believe I got it so wrong.  AndyP, you better listen do lo's advice and scrap what I suggested.
Aye, aye, captain. :wink:

jaster
12th September 2005, 05:03 PM
Andylo,

I can't believe I got it so wrong. AndyP, you better listen do lo's advice and scrap what I suggested.

:)

Ben

:lol:

goughy
12th September 2005, 05:53 PM
As I said earlier "I have trouble telling the difference from one iron to another."  If I put a good swing on it, it felt good.  If I didn't, it didn't feel so good.

I'm with you on this one andy. Remember, I'm the guy who felt his i3's were softer than his tm300 forged irons. Probably because of the bigger sweetspot equaling less off-centre hits etc etc.

Maybe you just need to find as many people with clubs you're interested in and hit/borrow as many as you can to try out properly. That's not what I did, and I ended up going through about 4 sets of irons (over the space of several years mind you) till I ended up striking the right clubs. Would have rather gone straight to the right ones.

There should be plenty of clubs around for you to try without having to resort too much to the stores.

AndyP
12th September 2005, 10:21 PM
Maybe you just need to find as many people with clubs you're interested in and hit/borrow as many as you can to try out properly.
There should be plenty of clubs around for you to try without having to resort too much to the stores.
That's the plan.

And while your're in this thread, could I please have a hit with your I3+s on Sunday, if we get the chance? :D

goughy
13th September 2005, 04:35 AM
Done and done :wink:

andylo
13th September 2005, 08:53 AM
I can't believe I got it so wrong.  AndyP, you better listen do lo's advice and scrap what I suggested.

Ben, I am a little disappointed with your reply.

I am just in a position asking a few question from what I have seen (how AndyP hit his shots on a open course) and I kinda wish you will give a more detail explaination when you see it.

But instead you just give me a piss :cry:

I truly believe you have thru out knowledge on what you are doing but a few questions doesn't mean this amaturer don't respect your works. In fact I was planned to go to Melb this October with all my clubs with me and get to re-fitted them all to suit my spec.

I am not challenging you or something. Maybe I misunderstood your actual meaning (well you have a smily there) but your reaction makes me doubt about if the trip is worth it.

ben
13th September 2005, 09:47 AM
Andy, it was just a joke mate. lighten up!

Don't let the ozgolf psychie get into you now!

andylo
13th September 2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks for clarify it mate ;)

jaster
13th September 2005, 11:27 AM
This is getting interesting ;)

http://www.golfdiscussions.com/yabbse/Smileys//default/popcorn2.gif

3oneday
13th September 2005, 12:38 PM
This is getting interesting  ;)

http://www.golfdiscussions.com/yabbse/Smileys//default/popcorn2.gifLeon, go chip or something, you have too much time on your hands :P :P

:lol: :lol:

jaster
13th September 2005, 12:46 PM
This is getting interesting ;)

http://www.golfdiscussions.com/yabbse/Smileys//default/popcorn2.gifLeon, go chip or something, you have too much time on your hands :P :P

:lol: :lol:

Nah, too busy eating popcorn :wink:

BrisVegas
19th September 2005, 08:31 AM

Grip Size: Standard + 3 tapes
Sorry, I think I missed this post.... Wow! Jaster's right, you do have big hands.... :shock:

Regular flex sounds about right. I don't know anything about TX90 shafts, but there must be some reason why that particular model was recommended. As we talked about yesterday, I think too many people make the mistake of going too stiff in their irons. I made this mistake in my last set and it made the irons feel a little "dead" or "boardy". I've gone back almost a full flex in my current setup and it feels better. Next time around, I'll go lighter too, to help increase clubhead speed. With a more flexible shaft, the clubs feel a little more lively and the balls seems to "pop" off the face. I think there is a perfect shaft for everyone, where there is just enough kick, but enough stability to prevent wild shots.

Everyone's swing has a different tempo and we all load the club up differently. Did you notice how Eag's hits his irons yesterday! He really hammers his irons, with lots of torque. He probably needs stiff or extra stiff shafts. Me on the other hand, I need lady shafts! When in doubt, trust the clubfitters.... :wink:

Bruce
19th September 2005, 09:31 AM
I've got a TX-90 in my LW and 3W.

I'm not doing too well with the lobby (at lest not on full swings - but I think that is my fault) but my 3W is (mostly) a rocket.

I'm the last person to ask for shaft advice, but there is much to recommend them from my point of view.

AndyP
19th September 2005, 03:29 PM
Wow! Jaster's right, you do have big hands....  
Would the grip size have anything to do with the fact that I use a baseball grip??? :smt102

----------------

Tried Ping I3+ irons, and Nike Pro Combo Irons, in less than ideal conditions yesterday.
Both were pretty "sweet".

I think I liked the look of the Pro Combos better, and the concept of a combo set (CBs/blades) is appealing.  Not that it matters too much to me.

The Pro Combos seemed to feel better on the well hit shots, while the Pings had a better feel for those that weren't hit that well.  Not something that was unexpected.

As for shot results, it was too hard to tell.  The wind was blowing straight back into our faces, and slightly across, so the ball was getting thrown around everywhere.  On top of that, I wasn't really hitting the ball with any sort of consistency yesterday, and had little confidence in my setup.

Is there an early leader? No, not really. :roll:

jaster
19th September 2005, 04:22 PM
:lol: Your bad shots with the PINGs were way better IMO, but you did hit some sweet shots with those Pro Combos.... :?

How did the stiff shafts feel in both irons?

Baseball grip :smt017 :smt078

McMw
19th September 2005, 05:00 PM
wat model pings??? normal or blade???

coz I think it's not fair to compare the PC against the normal (o-size) versions...

goughy
19th September 2005, 05:30 PM
I think andy's going to be trying a lot of different sets of irons over the next few weeks/months. He just had a hit of eag's pc's and my i3+'s after the round in less than ideal conditions.

I don't think he knows what he wants. Luckily there are lots of different sets around the traps for him to try.

Fishman Dan
19th September 2005, 07:41 PM
Follow your head, not your heart...

Get the Ping's! Ping's are sweeeeeeeeet...

goughy
19th September 2005, 07:46 PM
Geeze, I don't even need to be the guy making the ping rush. That's a change.

Although, in a years time your clubs will still look the same. Enough said from me.

Jarro
20th September 2005, 07:40 AM
get out and try every set of irons you can before making your decision.

peter_rs
20th September 2005, 07:40 AM
Go the ping irons

3oneday
20th September 2005, 07:55 AM
I think andy's going to be trying a lot of different sets of irons over the next few weeks/months.  ummm.... hello ????

Check when this thread started :shock: ... how many sets of clubs are there left to try exactly ???? Andy, you should be able to answer this question mate :lol: :lol:

Pete

AndyP
20th September 2005, 08:02 AM
I think andy's going to be trying a lot of different sets of irons over the next few weeks/months.  ummm.... hello ????

Check when this thread started :shock: ... how many sets of clubs are there left to try exactly ???? Andy, you should be able to answer this question mate  :lol:  :lol:
The first two on a range were tried on Sunday.

The iron hunt was put on hold until I had a clubfitting session, which I had last month.  Which is why I restarted this thread.

Sorry to shatter your illusion of me hitting a different set of clubs every weekend since January.

3oneday
20th September 2005, 08:14 AM
Sorry to shatter your illusion of me hitting a different set of clubs every weekend since January. more of a fantasy than an illusion, Mr Testy :P
:roll:

AndyP
20th September 2005, 08:43 AM
Sorry to shatter your illusion of me hitting a different set of clubs every weekend since January. more of a fantasy than an illusion, Mr Testy :P
 :roll:
Much was said about the size of my nuts when I had the old putting stance, but you are the first to call me, Mr Testy.

3oneday
20th September 2005, 08:46 AM
the size of my nuts when I had the old putting stance :shock: :shock: one can only assume your legs were very close together ????

:P :lol: :lol:

AndyP
23rd September 2005, 11:55 AM
After an invitation from Terry, I turned up to a Raven demonstration at Oxley Driving Range last night.  
When I walked in the door I noticed that they had just had a Ping demo night the night before.  Would have been nice to go to that.   #-o

Hit several different models, without really getting a feel for what I preferred the most.  I think I tried too many in the end.
The forged clubs feel great, but for me I don't think they are worth the extra expense.  If I am going to buy clubs, I'm better off getting something that will last, therefore cast seems to be the option I will take.

Also used the vector launch monitor thingy and determined that my swing speed with the 5I is about 80kph.
The guy running the show seemed to think that I would need a similar setup to him, and has offered (via Terry) me his clubs for a round.

Walked away from the night feeling confused as usual, and having a coach trying to change my swing when I'm wanting to try out irons didn't help.
The thought goes through my head of getting coaching instead of irons.  But I know I don't have the time to spend re-enforcing changes in my swing at the range, yet swing/grip change thoughts linger.

*sigh*

3oneday
23rd September 2005, 12:09 PM
The thought goes through my head of getting coaching instead of irons. hold off mate, that is just fishy wearing you down with his form of brainwashing....

Have you asked yourself exactly what you like in a club ?? (or was that on the previous 6 pages ??) thick topline, bulky sole, huge offset ?? draw up a list (if you haven't already) and start a poll of what you may like....

Just a suggestion, then pick whatever we don't !!!!!!

Pete

jaster
23rd September 2005, 12:17 PM
The way he hit Goughy's PINGs it's got me stuffed why he doesn't have set of them already :shock: :lol:

AndyP
23rd September 2005, 12:28 PM
Have you asked yourself exactly what you like in a club ?? (or was that on the previous 6 pages ??) thick topline, bulky sole, huge offset ?? draw up a list (if you haven't already) and start a poll of what you may like....

Just a suggestion, then pick whatever we don't !!!!!!
Pete, I really don't think I care about the look that much, although I do want to reduce the offset in comparison to the Prizms (which has a lot of offset). Perhaps I shouldn't care so much about what iron head I get then. :smt102
You're right though. I really haven't narrowed the field down.

Some offset, but not too much
Cast
Cavity Backs, although open to having a progessive or combo set. Something suitable for a handicap of 12 anyway
4I to PW minimum
Looks aren't too important (it's more about their personality :))
Not sure on cost, but I don't think I really would want to spend much more than $800 with the correct shaft fitted. That's just the approximate maximum, I have no problem spending a lot less.

Eag's
23rd September 2005, 12:40 PM
Andy if I was you, I would be going to a few demo days they have on during the week at various locations. Try as many as you can get your hands on 8)

I think a combo set would suit you perfectly :wink:

BrisVegas
23rd September 2005, 12:57 PM
Combo irons would be a great idea. Plenty of hybrid/combo iron sets coming out these days... Also, what about something like Armour evo v-31 ?
http://www.iseekgolf.com/forums/index.php?s=6110515d398f1cbb6736eb0c23003be3&showtopic=10254&pid=138558&st=0&#entry138558

Jarro
23rd September 2005, 01:06 PM
i'll pop back in at page 10 and see where it's at :roll: :P

AndyP
23rd September 2005, 01:12 PM
Also, what about something like Armour evo v-31 ?
http://www.iseekgolf.com/forums/index.php?s=6110515d398f1cbb6736eb0c23003be3&showtopic=10254&pid=138558&st=0&#entry138558
If there was a Spalding 62° wedge packaged with it, I might have been interested. ;) :lol:

i'll pop back in at page 10 and see where it's at :roll: :razz:
You buy clubs your way, I'll buy clubs mine. 8)

goughy
23rd September 2005, 06:14 PM
At almost every pro-am I've played in the pro's in my group have used shovels. A few sets of x16's etc. Even last weekend ours was using titliest cavity backs. They were the least forgiving irons I've seen a pro in my group use but still cb's again. That tells me a lot and was my reasoning behind my choice of irons. I was honestly even looking at x16's but the better durability of what I picked won over.

A year or so ago we even asked the pro in our group why he used x16's. His answer was that golf is hard enough. Why make it any harder. If you need to hit a slice or hook you can still do it with shovels, guaranteed. Whatever you do just make the game as easy for you as you can. You'll enjoy it more.

My suggestion is to cut out any iron that is not considered a serious cb. There are plenty of decent cb's out there. But I wouldn't even go the combo idea. They look great, but I'd still get as much forgiveness as possible.

I don't spose gaz has any unused x16 lying around?????

Now, don't forget to let us know what you pick next year ok.

terryand
23rd September 2005, 06:59 PM
At almost every pro-am I've played in the pro's in my group have used shovels

Just goes to show the ball striking skills of the pro today doesn't it :?

Terry.

Grunt
23rd September 2005, 07:07 PM
Andy

Not sure if anyone has mentioned these to you before but the Adams Pro Hybrid A1's are pretty good. I have them and they are a way better club than my abilities at the moment demand. They are also very cheap on eBay. I got mine for $450 from an aussie seller.