PDA

View Full Version : eBay postage etiquette question

LarryLong
4th August 2009, 10:44 PM
A question for our resident eBay junkies.

I bought an item (not golf-related) on eBay the other day. During the auction I asked if I could pick up from the town I work in. They suggested pick up from their house, 30 minutes away. The missus didn't want to drive out there, so I paid for postage.

The day after the auction, the seller rang me and asked if I would like them to drop the item off, seeing as he has some sort of mobile job and would be coming past my work. I said great. He dropped the item off, but didn't mention the postage money. I didn't mention it either, figuring he was a nice bloke to drop it off, and I was already happy to pay him to post it.

I'm not worried about the cash, and I'll give him good feedback because I appreciated him dropping the item off, but it did make me wonder. If you offer pick-up on an eBay item, is it the done thing to waive the postage? What if you drop it off?

Or am I just a pushover who should learn to assert himself?

3oneday
4th August 2009, 10:47 PM
If I delivered I would expect something to be honest. I wouldn't if they collected from me.

Ned
4th August 2009, 10:47 PM
At the end of the day, its whats in the conditions of the listing or at worst what eBay's rules are on it.

If you asked him for it now, he would more then likely say he delivered!

Scottt
4th August 2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, if I went to them, I'd probably charge postage. if they came to me, I wouldn't.

Another strange one. I sold a putter in April, the woman paid immediately and said her husband worked near me and he would get it from my work. I then heard nothing until a text message three weeks ago saying they were now out of London for the summer and she would contact me about picking it up around late September. Very strange.

Yossarian
5th August 2009, 12:40 AM
It probably the masons trying to approach you.

Jono
5th August 2009, 01:10 AM
Of course you should pay for shipping if he delivers it to your door. I doesn't matter whether he's passing by or not.

In the end, it's much better for you if he delivers it in person because unless you pay extra for insurance, you never know what's going to happen with Australia Post.

ozdevil
5th August 2009, 04:27 AM
Have to agree with others.

the guy did you a favour by dropping them off for you rather then wait for a courier or Aussie post to deliver.....

it is only fair the guy went out of his way to get them to you to let him keep the frieght charges...

to me it was an extra bit of service that the ebayer gave you in which they didnt have to do in the first place

gazgolf1
5th August 2009, 06:55 AM
Send him a scratchy.

3oneday
5th August 2009, 07:23 AM
He's already paid him :lol:

Jono
5th August 2009, 09:40 AM
He's already paid him :lol:

Yeah, but he's wondering whether he should have asked for the money back. :?

3oneday
5th August 2009, 09:40 AM
Well, why would he send him a scratchy ? :confused:

Johnny Canuck
5th August 2009, 10:07 AM
the cost of postage covers his petrol. if he returns the postage, he makes less money on the sale.

henno
5th August 2009, 10:16 AM
I always return postage if I deliver in person.

But then again my fuel is free, and I spend half my day driving around town, so it's no big deal.

Johnny Canuck
5th August 2009, 10:18 AM
there you go larry. call him and ask him if he pays for his petrol!

LarryLong
5th August 2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, but he's wondering whether he should have asked for the money back. :?

Not at all. I didn't ask for the money back and I would never have dreamt of doing so. That's not my way. I'm actually just curious about what the done thing is. Who knows, I may sell something one day and have the same situation.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I would probably end up giving it back, but that's probably the flip-side of being the type of person who wouldn't ask for a postage refund either.

zigwah
5th August 2009, 10:38 AM
Of course you should pay for shipping if he delivers it to your door. I doesn't matter whether he's passing by or not.

In the end, it's much better for you if he delivers it in person because unless you pay extra for insurance, you never know what's going to happen with Australia Post.

Yup Aussie post you never know, had something not turn up for the first time, it's just a pain for the seller and the buyer.