PDA

View Full Version : SMT 455DB - Help Needed

Pinglauncher
20th January 2005, 04:17 PM
I recently bought an SMT 455DB 10* with Accuflex Assassin II shaft @45.5". I was looking at this to get more distance and maybe try longer shaft lengths up to 47". I am normally comfortable between reg and firm. The club came back and feels a lot stiffer than I had hoped and although it is long the trajectory is lower than I would like. I feel I have the following options -

1. I was thinking of trying an Accuflex Icon v3 shaft. This has a softer tip and different flex point.
2. Sell the club. I have only played 3 practice rounds with it and it is such a gorgeous looking combo but it is just not working for me.
3. Trade for a different combo. I would like to try a higher loft maybe 12* in a BOM, 455DB or a Spectrum.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY OBSESSION.

All advice, offers etc gratefully accepted.

Ona
20th January 2005, 04:23 PM
before you do anything silly Pingm, make sure your teeing it up nice an high. the DB likes to be hit above the centre of the face.

if that doesnt work send it to me and ill give you a second opinion :roll:

davidp
20th January 2005, 04:30 PM
Chris, so you sent this away for a reshaft? Did you get a stiff flex in it? I had an Assassin II in another driver of mine (long gone) which I had to have tip-trimmed to get to true stiff. The Assassin II is one of the less stiff shafts in the Accuflex range.

Any idea how far the shaft was inserted? If you've got some depth to play with maybe short-shafting it a little (with a butt-trim) may be the cheapest option for you. With the deep bore of the 455, a shaft will play quite a bit firmer than a standard bore.

An option may be trade the shaft in for a softer flex and have the new shaft tip trimmed.

The problem with component gear like SMT, Wishon, Maltby etc... is they are not very well known in this country. So my concern is with the resale value of the club.

Pinglauncher
20th January 2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks David. I am not sure how far it was inserted so I may try going back to the clubmaker and see if the insertion can be reduced.

It certainly is a lot lower than other 10* drivers I have hit hence my thoughts of maybe 12* or more being more appropriate.

Chris

naragah
20th January 2005, 09:13 PM
My deep bore came in a lot stiffer than I thought would the rifle shaft I put in it just really sucked.

I now have a purple ice stiff in it its still a bit stiffer then I would like but gives me a good ball flight and good distance

Pinglauncher
20th January 2005, 09:20 PM
Naragah, how do you find the ball flight with the 12* as I am thinking I would have been much better off with the 12* rather than the 10* I got.

naragah
20th January 2005, 09:28 PM
the ball flight is good for me I don't launch the ball high enough with a 10* I get a good strong flight with good enough carry though am sure with a shaft a little softer it would be a little higher.

Keza_G
20th January 2005, 11:03 PM
The problem with component gear like SMT, Wishon, Maltby etc... is they are not very well known in this country. So my concern is with the resale value of the club.

Please don't blaspheme around me...... SMT gear is tried and proven.... if 4 world titles and an AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL TITLE is not enough proof......I dunno what is.

The resale of these clubs is not a great deal, you must know that compared with brands such as TaylorMade and Titleist they cannot compete, however, remeber that they are cheaper than those anyway. If you have only hit the thig 3 times and wanna sell it, did you ever really want it ??? I have 3 Spectrums and love each one... 8*, 6*, 5*. I had a hit tonight with a Icon v2 regular and couldn't hit it, too heavy, and I use Pro LD XX shafts. Try something else in it, like a Icon v2 at reg.

Where did you get the shaft done...alot of club builders do not understand the SMT's and maybe just "shovin' shafts in. Maybe send apm to ROC (Mark Stone). He is the SMT distributor on the Gold Coast and slao my personal club builder. I trust him with all of my clubs, he knows SMT's and can guarantee you precision equipment. He also is the accuflex ditributor and can give you personal expertise.

Give it a try... make enquiries before you do something you may regret...

Cheers

Keza

Keza_G
20th January 2005, 11:04 PM
you can only try...

Keza

McMw
20th January 2005, 11:12 PM
I'm gonna have to get hold of an SMT when I'm in Perth... :shock:

Ona
20th January 2005, 11:14 PM
down girl, down!

keza david wasnt knocking SMT quality, just being realistic about resale here in aus.

david I see that your getting a Fusion? [-( no self discipline [-X

:roll: :D

Fishman Dan
20th January 2005, 11:58 PM
Call me ignorant - but why resell? If it works for you, why wouldn't you keep using it?

markTHEblake
21st January 2005, 12:54 AM
Call me ignorant - but why resell? If it works for you, why wouldn't you keep using it?

the ashtray gets full?

Jarro
21st January 2005, 04:23 AM
try a reshaft with an NV65, they're great shafts :wink:

3oneday
21st January 2005, 07:20 AM
Call me ignorant - but why resell? If it works for you, why wouldn't you keep using it?ignorant :P did you read the opening post, point 2 covers it 8) ??? :P :P

:lol: :lol:

Pete

Pinglauncher
21st January 2005, 07:40 AM
I see I have started a debate.

The 455DB is my first purchase of a component driver. I will say FIRST AND FOREMOST that this is the sweetest looking combo I have seen and the balance and feel of the club is unmatched by anything else I have used.

What I do believe however is the shaft for me is too stiff ( I am normally a reg. to maybe firm). Also based on some feedback from other users of the 455 (GEA) some get a lower ball flight in the expected loft. I certainly fall into that category. The other drivers I have used are all around 10 - 10.5* and this is by far the lowest ball flight.

This in no way means I do not like the club.

** I will go back and see Gary at Advantage Custom Clubmakers here in Sydney and get the shaft looked at.

** I will try teeing even higher

** I may try an Accuflex Icon 3 reg. shaft which should help with the ball flight.

I still want to try a higher loft in a driver and it will more than likely be an SMT model as I am so impressed with their quality.

Keep the help coming and if someone wants to sell a 12* SMT with reg. shaft combo you know who to call.

Chris

3oneday
21st January 2005, 07:47 AM
Chris,

I though the Assassin II wasn't the best shaft going around ?? just something I thought I had heard. Maybe discuss some low kick shafts with the boys at Advantage, the NVS (burnt orange NV with lower kick point) seems to be getting some airplay at the moment... Are you allowed to mix component gear with OEM :shock: :lol: :lol:

Pete

Fishman Dan
21st January 2005, 08:53 AM
did you read the opening post, point 2 covers it 8) ??? :P :P

Did that answer it? :smt017

Besides, the post was more than 2 lines, anything after that is just gibberish :?