PDA

View Full Version : More compact vs longer swings

edhannan
2nd August 2009, 03:24 PM
An argument for a more compact swing is that there are fewer parts moving shorter distances, and so the swing is easier to learn and repeat. On the other hand, I’m wondering if a more compact swing means that there is a lesser margin for error. Could it be that a longer swing motion gives a golfer more time/chance to recover from or compensate for an error in setup, takeaway or backswing.

Your thoughts?

henno
2nd August 2009, 03:28 PM
uYcmAHo8KLo

edhannan
2nd August 2009, 03:44 PM
Good one, Henno.

TheTrueReview
2nd August 2009, 04:05 PM
An argument for a more compact swing is that there are fewer parts moving shorter distances, and so the swing is easier to learn and repeat. On the other hand, I’m wondering if a more compact swing means that there is a lesser margin for error. Could it be that a longer swing motion gives a golfer more time/chance to recover from or compensate for an error in setup, takeaway or backswing.

Your thoughts?

Ed, I thought through this one a few months back & tried it but I found it introduced bugs into my swing. Bugs I'm still trying to get rid of.

Eag's
2nd August 2009, 04:31 PM
Nothing wrong with a shortened swing, mine would have to be one of the shortest on Oz Golf ;)

lucky
2nd August 2009, 06:53 PM
Eags, I think we could have have "short off" for OzGolfs shortest swing.

Edhannen, it comes down to what feels the best to hit the target with. I feel that things are more connected with a shorter swing. But each to their own.

Always remember, it is not how long it is how many:)

henno
2nd August 2009, 06:56 PM
At the other end of the scale, who's ozgolf's best "overswinger"?

I vote nutedit. The clubhead just about hits him on the left hip on the backswing, but boy does he have a smooth, consistent swing.

lucky
2nd August 2009, 07:35 PM
I 2nd that Henno.

Bruce
3rd August 2009, 09:29 AM
Unless Pete_rs has shortened up he was going a long way around on the backswing.

There's a bloke at Mirboo that has been known to hit his own body on the backswing. He's hilarious.

Courty
3rd August 2009, 03:43 PM
For length of backswing: Peter_RS
For completely overswinging: Grunt

:lol:

ParMaster
3rd August 2009, 03:58 PM
For length of backswing: Peter_RS
For completely overswinging: PuppetMaster

Why don't people accept that i've got the longest and fugliest swing on Ozgolf? :cry:

Eag's
3rd August 2009, 03:59 PM
Why don't people accept that i've got the longest and fugliest swing on Ozgolf? :cry:

You play off 1 it must be real ugly :roll:

ParMaster
3rd August 2009, 04:07 PM
Trust me, it is.

Ask anyone that's played with me for a critique of it. :)

Grunt
3rd August 2009, 04:10 PM
You say it is crap but to be honest it is not that non standard for me to notice anything. Might be that I don't look that hard at other guys swings. I have seen plenty of worse swings.

parlyboy
3rd August 2009, 04:14 PM
not related. But how do i start a thread?

ParMaster
3rd August 2009, 04:17 PM
Go to the forum where you want to start the thread.

Top left corner it says "New Thread". Click on that.

parlyboy
3rd August 2009, 04:21 PM
THanks par. Sorry im all old and spastic. (Damn gen Y know it alls...lol)

Minor_Threat
3rd August 2009, 04:23 PM
I reckon you swing a little bit like Peter Senior Puppet. However he sets up square ;)

Jono
3rd August 2009, 08:53 PM
Longest swing - PeterRS
Shortest swing - Pinglauncher
Fastest swing - 3oneday
Slowest swing - Jarro
Slowest preshot routine - Alo

solarman
4th August 2009, 10:12 AM
I reckon Courty's swing is pretty slow....you can have a coffee waiting for it to reach the top :lol:

Ned
4th August 2009, 10:23 AM
I reckon Courty's swing is pretty slow....you can have a coffee waiting for it to reach the top :lol:

At least he turns up to be able to see his swing!!!!!! ;)

virge666
4th August 2009, 11:25 AM

Your thoughts?

Longer swing will rely more on rhythm and timing, shorter swings will rely more on process and delivery.

Compare to a young 3 year old throwing a ball - they wind everything up and look like a spastic when throwing.

Compare this to an older teenager who has worked out which muscles to use when throwing - it is more compact and efficient.

Some people never reach this stage - or are more comfortable with the longer languid swings.

Courty
4th August 2009, 02:13 PM

Wanker. At least I can keep the ball on the planet. :p

Eag's
4th August 2009, 02:14 PM

haysey
4th August 2009, 03:34 PM

Lucky its a big planet....

:wink:

Jarro
4th August 2009, 04:33 PM
Longest swing - PeterRS
Fastest swing - 3oneday
Slowest swing - Jarro

I'm afraid i have to agree with solarman here ..... Courty has me covered :-s

Eag's
4th August 2009, 05:22 PM
Longest swing - PeterRS
Fastest swing - 3oneday
Slowest swing - Jarro
Fastest pre shot routine - Gaz without a doubt, don't blink you will miss it ;)

I swing so short due to the fact I am about as flexible as a crow bar.