PDA

View Full Version : More distance.

ParMaster
31st July 2009, 06:31 PM
What is a good technique to use to gain more distance? I don't want it to hurt my back and don't tell me to swing faster. :razz:

I hit 1wd 240 right now.

So any ideas? How much distance would i be expected to gain?

Thnx

Russ
31st July 2009, 06:40 PM
Arn't you only 16 years old or something?

Hows about just letting yourself grow, slowly build more muscle, and more power/speed/distance will come naturally.

Unless you're already 6'5"

Grunt
31st July 2009, 06:42 PM
One Word WHY!

ParMaster
31st July 2009, 06:49 PM
Just turned 15 Russ.

Why not Grunt? If there is a way to get another 15m then there is no reason to not try. Unless of course it would cause an injury in which case i wouldn't try.

Grunt
31st July 2009, 06:50 PM
What does 15m mean on most holes to you? I would probably think not much. I reckon I would go for maybe 1m straighter rather than 2m longer.

3oneday
31st July 2009, 06:59 PM
Play senior flex.

Dotty
31st July 2009, 07:00 PM
A blond mullet, Marlboros and an insatiable thirst.

:wink:

ParMaster
31st July 2009, 07:13 PM
What does 15m mean on most holes to you? I would probably think not much. I reckon I would go for maybe 1m straighter rather than 2m longer.

That i can be much more agressive on par 5's. And also instead of hitting an 8/9i into par 4's then hopefully i can use my PW or GW. I feel much more comfortable with those clubs and can get much more spin with a steeper attack angle.

Yossarian
31st July 2009, 07:15 PM
BRZv6OJyLIw

markTHEblake
31st July 2009, 07:21 PM
Just turned 15 Russ.

are you about the same height as all the chicks in school?

a lot of blokes dont start their growing 'spurt' until much later, i didnt until i was 17 (and didnt last bloddy long either) or perhaps even later.

Cos i remember at the high school reunions being shocked by how much the girls seemed to have shrunk :)

PeteyD
31st July 2009, 07:28 PM
You had a growth spurt? ;)

Best way to get more distance is to hit down hill and down wind, preferably along a road.

Scottt
31st July 2009, 07:50 PM
Watch Tin Cup. Copy Don Johnson.

Webster
31st July 2009, 08:01 PM
Just turned 15 .

When your balls drop, you will hit it further, unless you are gay (you will hit it shorter).

Johnny Canuck
31st July 2009, 09:05 PM
:smt038Response of the year Jack!:smt038

ParMaster
31st July 2009, 10:25 PM
hahaha yoss

ParMaster
31st July 2009, 10:35 PM
are you about the same height as all the chicks in school?

a lot of blokes dont start their growing 'spurt' until much later, i didnt until i was 17 (and didnt last bloddy long either) or perhaps even later.

Cos i remember at the high school reunions being shocked by how much the girls seemed to have shrunk :)

I'm 179cm blakey with shoes on. So like 176 without.

3oneday
31st July 2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, he looks fully grown to me.

parlyboy
31st July 2009, 10:44 PM
at your age parmaster, you should be thinking about beer and chicks, not an extra 3 yards. You will thank me in 10 years time...lol

ParMaster
31st July 2009, 10:53 PM
Golf is what i want to do with my career. Beer and chicks will come later. ;)

parlyboy
31st July 2009, 11:01 PM
WEll i hope so mate, just dont burn yourself out first. I played all day everyday when i was ur age. You lose interest when you get to a certain point. THese guys are right. Dont worry about extra yards off the tee. If you can chip/putt like a demon, it doesnt matter how far you hit it. You will be anyone.

Grunt
1st August 2009, 06:18 AM
Hope you have a back up plan. I know a few pros that wanted to be the touring golfer and it was just too tough. They are now in a wide variety of jobs from Club pro to teaching Pro to courier.

ParMaster
1st August 2009, 06:33 AM
Bloody Oath i do Grunt. Actually 3 to be exact. ;)

Matt 3 Jab
1st August 2009, 08:05 AM
there are no pictures on the scorecard. Distance does not matter. Its all about the score.

Dont worry if you never hit it further than now, its enough for most courses.

Think of the 7th at NB. You hit 6 iron on but left. I took 5, which i got a look of you'll hit it too long or your a girl, 3/4 swing and put it inside 12 feet to make birdie.

I love hitting it massive, but its worth very little when you get back to the clubhouse with a 74 rather than a 68.

Minor_Threat
1st August 2009, 08:29 AM
Hope you have a back up plan. I know a few pros that wanted to be the touring golfer and it was just too tough. They are now in a wide variety of jobs from Club pro to teaching Pro to courier.You can add Electrical Engineer, to the list :D

As well as Sales Rep, I.T. and Real Estate..

markTHEblake
1st August 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm 179cm blakey with shoes on. So like 176 without.

:shock: you are a big bastard already.

All i remember was in Grade 11 (so 16), in PE we weighed ourselves and I pushed down on the scales just so i could get it to 50kg.

By the way, i love all these amateurs giving tips to a guy on hcap of 2, but then again you did ask.

PeteyD
1st August 2009, 06:16 PM
My tip is the only one that works, except for MT ;)

razaar
1st August 2009, 08:07 PM
There is a sure fire way to hit the ball further and that is to get stronger in the mid section. The best way I know how to do this specific to golf is to workout on a Nautilus rotary /torso machine. It is one of the secrets of the tour pros. If your gym has one of these machines you will know what I am talking about.
http://www.nautilus.com/nautilus_brand_commercial_equipment/products/nitro/core/prdcdovr~S3RT/Nautilus+Nitro+Rotary+Torso.jsp

Jono
1st August 2009, 11:49 PM
There is a sure fire way to hit the ball further and that is to get stronger in the mid section. The best way I know how to do this specific to golf is to workout on a Nautilus rotary /torso machine. It is one of the secrets of the tour pros. If your gym has one of these machines you will know what I am talking about.
http://www.nautilus.com/nautilus_brand_commercial_equipment/products/nitro/core/prdcdovr~S3RT/Nautilus+Nitro+Rotary+Torso.jsp

that's about as effective as Virge's body building routine. :razz:

virge666
2nd August 2009, 10:37 PM
As a bloke who has seen Pup's swing.

You need more hip turn through the ball. This will allow you to increase the angle between your left forearm and clubshaft on the down swing. (sometimes called lag angle)

More angle and a strong enough body to hold it = more distance.

Check out Anthony Kim for a good example.

ParMaster
2nd August 2009, 11:11 PM
Ok Virge.

Golfnut
2nd August 2009, 11:11 PM
Virge, not doubting your advice above but doesn't this increase the risk of leaving the face open if the hands can't get through quick enough causing the dreaded slice.....this is the problem i'm having......i'm getting more/quicker hip turn but I'm not able to get the hands through quick enough.....any good drills to quicken the arms/hands?

virge666
2nd August 2009, 11:17 PM
Virge, not doubting your advice above but doesn't this increase the risk of leaving the face open if the hands can't get through quick enough causing the dreaded slice.....this is the problem i'm having......i'm getting more/quicker hip turn but I'm not able to get the hands through quick enough.....any good drills to quicken the arms/hands?

This is a power move. The whole idea is to clear your hips as much as possible without

= Sliding
= Opening or Tilting the shoudlers
= Losing your levels.

Being able to match up the lower half to the top half is half the fun of being a good and powerful golfer. If you are on double figures . . . you have other more important problems to sort out.

If you want to speed up your hands - split grip drills are my favourite. Leave about an inch between them.

Enjoy

Golfnut
2nd August 2009, 11:22 PM
YEah...ok thought the aggressive hip turn was more for the pros...

Split grip drills....explain more plz.

virge666
3rd August 2009, 09:37 AM
Split grip drills....explain more plz.

Hang 5 or 6 practice swings with a split grip. say 2-3 inches between the hands.

Now tell me how much faster your hands are moving now...

Golfnut
3rd August 2009, 11:53 AM
Ahhh....yes, I know that drill well mate but haven't done it in a while.....first drill my teaching pro got me to do. Thanks for the reminder.