PDA

View Full Version : Interlock vs Overlap grip?

goonie
30th July 2009, 12:32 PM
Interlock vs Overlap grip?

I have always user the interlock grip, (even before I knew tiger did) because it just felt more comfortable, but I am not sure it isn't causing me issues sometimes, eg. quite often if I am having a bad swing day I find, after the round :-), that my left hand gets a little strong and causes problems, and I don't even notice the grip has changed. Also due to my squash days my left side (arm, hand and shoulder) is much stronger than my right, and I think this grip may be allowing my right hand to dominate the swing sometimes. And example of this is when I started playing squash again after a few years off, I began hooking/pulling the ball rather badly until I stopped playing squash again.

So I tried the Overlap grip at the range last night, it felt terrible, but was hitting the ball ok, and if anything a little more right than normal, but straight. except the driver which I pulled/hooked quite a bit.

So any of you swing gurus have any ideas on this, am I barking up the wrong tree?
Any Pros and Cons for these grips?

Chris32
30th July 2009, 12:57 PM
I was taught to interlock by my Dad, and the only ever golf book I read was by Jack Nicklaus. I gripped that way from when i was about 10 until I was 25. The last few years I switched to a overlap grip after reading the book by Elkington.
I switched mid round after playing quite badly, and found the overlap grip was easier to release the club, so I stuck with it. Feels normal now. I do go back to a interlock grip if I need to hit a fade, as it keeps the club open just enough to hit a fade/slice

Minor_Threat
30th July 2009, 01:33 PM
Interlock here also. That is the way I was taught and have stuck with it. I have tried the overlap for something different while practising, but it feels to weak..

virge666
30th July 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a problem with a very weak right hand in my grip.

So I have gone back to interlock to try and stop it.

moree golfer
30th July 2009, 03:10 PM
I can't get the Overlap grip to feel comfortable, always interlocked even though I learnt by watching mates whose dad's played. Do the length of your fingers predispose you to gripping one way or the other?

Chris32
30th July 2009, 03:31 PM
Elkington reckons smaller hands benefit from a interlocking grip

Eag's
30th July 2009, 03:33 PM
For the first 10 years I played this game I interlocked. I have been using the overlap the last couple of years as I found it easier to take the tension out of the grip.

PeteyD
30th July 2009, 04:10 PM
I use overlap. So interlock is probably a good idea ;)

I originally used interlock, as I read that in a Jack book when I was young. I changed to overlap when I started playing again, took about 2 range sessions to get used to it.

goonie
30th July 2009, 04:56 PM
I have a problem with a very weak right hand in my grip.

So I have gone back to interlock to try and stop it.

So you think that the interlock allows the right hand to have more effect on the swing?

Jarro
30th July 2009, 04:58 PM
Overlap here, interlock feels too funky

goonie
30th July 2009, 04:59 PM
I can't get the Overlap grip to feel comfortable, always interlocked even though I learnt by watching mates whose dad's played. Do the length of your fingers predispose you to gripping one way or the other?

I went with interlock as it was more comfortable, I don't think the length of my fingers has made me grip one way or the other, I use standard grips, but don't like oversize grips. but that may change if I change my grip.

goonie
30th July 2009, 05:00 PM
For the first 10 years I played this game I interlocked. I have been using the overlap the last couple of years as I found it easier to take the tension out of the grip.

It does feel like it reduces the tension in the hands, it may help me stop releasing the club to early, which can be a problem.

ParMaster
30th July 2009, 05:02 PM
I use overlap myself however i used to interlock when i was younger.

bebo
30th July 2009, 05:07 PM
I use overlap with driver/try to promote a draw/get more distance

interlock with irons/try to promote a fade/punch shot

markTHEblake
30th July 2009, 05:38 PM
Interlocking grip feels very solid when practising in the loungeroom. So I go out on the practice fairway and stuff me, i might as well be gripping left handed - shocking.

I'll stick with the Vardon

Yossarian
30th July 2009, 06:25 PM
I use overlap myself however i used to interlock when i was younger.

:-s

You mean yesterday?
:mrgreen:

zigwah
30th July 2009, 06:25 PM
Vardon here

ParMaster
30th July 2009, 06:26 PM
:-s

You mean yesterday?
:mrgreen:

;)

:lol:

razaar
30th July 2009, 06:28 PM
Interlock is good just as long as it is the finger tips that interlock, otherwise both hands slide too much under the grip. It is not an elegant grip which the vardon grip is (as well as traditional).

Courty
30th July 2009, 07:14 PM
One of my buddies got an idea recently (dunno where) about gripping with the entire right hand first (for right-handers) and then over-lapping the left on top of it. It felt really weird and I was pushing everything, but the contact was pure.

Edit: btw, I have always used interlock.

senecio
30th July 2009, 07:21 PM
Overlap here, just feels more comfortable for me. I started out as a kid with a basball grip, but that's not uncommon for newbies.

goonie
30th July 2009, 08:58 PM
Interlocking grip feels very solid when practising in the loungeroom. So I go out on the practice fairway and stuff me, i might as well be gripping left handed - shocking.

I'll stick with the Vardon

That's funny, because for me it feels the complete opposite going from interlock to overlap, it feels like it's all the left hand and a couple of fingers of the right.

Well I might give the overlap grip a go on the weekend, let's just hope it's like they say "change is like a holiday" or "change is good" and all that crap.

PeteyD
30th July 2009, 09:38 PM
I think he means he couldn't use it, as in he may as well have been playing cack handed like sms does.

goughy
30th July 2009, 10:53 PM
Reverse overlap for me, like my putting grip but only one finger overlap rather than the two finger overlap I use when putting (once a year ;).

I started using it before the KV champs. I was struggling with an overly strong grip but found when I set up to putt I set the club up square. Turns out when I set up with reverse overlap I can square the club better. So I started doing it as a pre-shot routine and once the club was squared I'd revert to normal overlap. Then one day I just started hitting with the RO grip and it was ok. I've stuck with it for my one or two games a year!

Mayhem
30th July 2009, 11:40 PM
I still use a baseball grip (as I used to be a baseball player). I have got my h-cap down to 16 but can't imagine it going much further down as my contact and ball flight are not that consistant. I am working on it though.

I have been practicing using the interlock this week and have felt comfortable. Still not consistant but apparently it may get better.

grandmasterb
31st July 2009, 11:22 AM
Vardon for me, used to use interlocking but just grew out of it as i got older and my hands got bigger.

adlo
31st July 2009, 06:41 PM
I started out with baseball/10 finger grip.

Now interlock. Feels very comfortable. Just cannot make myself like the overlap, so I have given up trying.

goonie
2nd August 2009, 11:09 PM
Used the overlap grip yesterday, and had a net 74, would have broken my handicap if it wasn't for some bad putting, hit the ball pretty good, hit a few to the right but straight, but my contact with the ball was much better, no thin shots which has been happening sometimes lately. Had 2 birdies which is always good, and hit my best ever 3 wood to be on the back of the 512m par5 16th in 2, my GPS said 256 to the centre of the green, measured it with the GPS, because it come off perfect, and after nearly hitting someone elses ball that was short of the green, the GPS said 261m :-), that is as long as any drive I hit all day and the longest 3 wood i've hit to date is like 220 with roll, don't know if it hit a sprinkler head but I had to apoligise to the guys who were on the green, I then proceded to 3 put the hole for a par.

Anyway I will continue to see how this new grip goes, and will be experimenting with the putter grip next :-)

Golfnut
2nd August 2009, 11:19 PM
This sounds too good to be true goonie......guess which grip i'll be trying all this week!!! I'm sure it not going to be a miracle cure but i'm open to try anything.

BTW, nice hitting mate....can only dream of hitting my driver 256m let alone my 3w.

goonie
8th August 2009, 06:02 PM
Looks like i will be sticking with the overlap grip, I have been getting more consistant contact with the ball, and more consistant overall with this grip.

KristianJ
9th August 2009, 01:06 PM
I've never really found the overlap grip that comfortable, and I don't feel that the interlocking grip has an adverse effect on my ball striking, so interlocking it is.

goonie
9th August 2009, 03:01 PM
It felt pretty weird to me when I first used it after always using the interlock, but I have gotten used to it pretty quick and it feels pretty good already, it has helped with my left side misses already.

Yossarian
10th August 2009, 09:19 PM
I started out with baseball/10 finger grip.

Now interlock. Feels very comfortable. Just cannot make myself like the overlap, so I have given up trying.

I tried interlock today, felt good. Seemed to straighten me up a tad too...

Adlo I think I also tried to grip the putter like you do, is there a name for that grip or something you've come up with?

adlo
10th August 2009, 09:36 PM
I tried interlock today, felt good. Seemed to straighten me up a tad too...

Adlo I think I also tried to grip the putter like you do, is there a name for that grip or something you've come up with?

Do I need to worry about stalking too?

My putter grip is an invention of mine, but based on the "two lifelines on the grip".

Yossarian
10th August 2009, 09:42 PM
It puts a really good roll on the ball. Seems to keep everything nice a stable. Esp with a centre shafted putter. I will have to get you to show me it a bit closer though.

That shadow outside your window

http://i28.tinypic.com/70jm8y.jpg

adlo
10th August 2009, 09:47 PM
:lol:

Classic.

I'll give you the 5 minute lesson before Kennedy Bay on Wednesday. That'll mess you up good.

Yossarian
10th August 2009, 09:55 PM
Cool, I think I was doing it right today, so maybe it won't mess me up too bad :)

Although with how sore I am atm from cricket pre season I'll be lucky to be able to swing a club.

KristianJ
10th August 2009, 11:44 PM
Tried hitting about a dozen balls with the overlap and reverse overlap yesterday afternoon after I posted...only one or two of them really felt like it came off the clubface with any sort of "authority". I wouldn't feel anywhere near confident enough using it out on the course yet.

ParMaster
10th August 2009, 11:51 PM
The other day at Camden Valley there were 2 guys in the group in front using some funky grips.

Indian guy used overlap grip whereas the other guy used Baseball. (Or 10 finger, whatever you want to call it.)