PDA

View Full Version : Too short? (FG.. dont even)

Ona
20th January 2005, 12:22 AM
I dont mind low par courses (<70) or short holes, but when the two are put together it just doesnt feel like real golf anymore.

The track I play the most is par 66, and 4622m from the back (always plays shorter). Last time I played my approach clubs were; LW 3 times, GW 7, 9i 3, 8i 3, 6i 1 and 3i once. 2nd shots into the par 5's were 8i and 3i.

Is it real golf when on 16 holes your hitting a short iron in? this kind of course should have its own sub category, like the pitch putt places.

Opinions welcome... barring 'men' playing 7 woods, who no doubt want to know where this course is and how much to join :wink: :D

Fishman Dan
20th January 2005, 12:38 AM
Any track is good enough. 18 holes and manicured surfaces go well, and the beer is always good afterwards.

Playing Royal Gordon this weekend with my wife (her first game for nearly a year?), and that's a par 60-nothingorother. Some good holes, just not enough space to be any more, and unlike other courses hasn't tried to cram in more/longer holes to bump up 'par'. Gordon struggles because it is kind of railroaded into a couple of 'sets' of par 3's - 3 in a row early on, and 2 in a row towards the end.

However in Sydney beggar's can't be choosers.

markTHEblake
20th January 2005, 12:47 AM
Is it real golf when on 16 holes your hitting a short iron in?

Ask Ernie Els, he plays courses like that all the time.

this kind of course should have its own sub category, like the pitch putt places.

Imho they already have their own class - just lacking an official name.
The hackers enjoy courses like this, others play elsewhere.

Ona
20th January 2005, 01:26 AM
nice innuendo MTB!

=D>

Ona
20th January 2005, 01:28 AM
oh.. that was directed at me wasnt it

#-o

:wink:

McMw
20th January 2005, 01:40 AM
I hear that most pros think Royal Melb is a pitch and putt course... :wink:

Onewood
20th January 2005, 08:05 AM
oh.. that was directed at me wasnt it

#-o

:wink:

Good pick up Ona :D

Fishman, what did the your wife beat you by :D coz it not like you to not jump up and if you beat somebody :lol: :wink:

BrisVegas
20th January 2005, 09:11 AM
I hear that most pros think Royal Melb is a pitch and putt course... :wink:

LOL :lol: Would you mind posting that in the ISG "My Favourite Courses Thread" for JJJ and henry et. al. to stew over!

Last years Heinecken(?) played liked that as it was so dry. Royal Melbourne, by modern standards, is quite short anyways but was brought to its knees by the hard and fast fairways. If Ernie hadn't flown a wedge over the back of the 18th in the first round it could have been a 59.

I think most of us can find enough trouble on even the shortest courses to keep us honest. Just look at Wynnum and City GC for instance... The problem arises when the pros have a good day, they can airmail a lot of the trouble on most "classic" courses. They're hitting wedges into greens that were designed for long irons and brassies etc.. :cry:

Flowergirl
20th January 2005, 09:50 AM
Oi...........I wasn't even thinking it :twisted:

AndyP
20th January 2005, 10:02 AM
Is it real golf when on 16 holes your hitting a short iron in? this kind of course should have its own sub category, like the pitch putt places.
So does this course fall into this sub category?
http://www.nambourgolfclub.com.au/scorecard.htm

I think as long as the course isn't too monotonous, and is in pretty good nick, I'd enjoy playing it.

I hit wedges into a lot of greens at Karana Downs, and I am by no means a long hitter. I still liked playing there. The challenge of the course was on the greens.

Fishman Dan
20th January 2005, 10:19 AM
Fishman, what did the your wife beat you by :D coz it not like you to not jump up and if you beat somebody :lol: :wink:

I regularly beat my wife.

No... wait.... that didn't come out right.. :oops: