PDA

View Full Version : Another cricket debate....

terryand
19th January 2005, 01:31 PM
Just checking in on the Pura Cup scores between Qld and Tassie to discover these figures for Andy Bichel's first spell :) l

7 overs...4 maidens...1/5... :shock:

Amazing how he is not in the top side,I know you can't drop the current 3 quicks in the team,as they are all performing well.

One good thing with the way he is bowling for Qld, is that the top 3 will keep looking over there shoulders and keep preforming :wink:

Now for the debate side of this thread,if one of the top 3 got injured,would you put Lee straight in or would you go for Bics,who I thought was unlucky to be dropped in the firsr place :smt102

Terry.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
19th January 2005, 01:38 PM
I think the selectors would go with Lee, but the form of Bichel and Bracken would come into play.

Unfortunately, i also think Shane Tait has strong claims.

3oneday
19th January 2005, 02:14 PM
Andy who ??????????? :wink:

AndyP
19th January 2005, 02:33 PM
I do not think Bichel will come into the selector's thoughts. He has been and gone, and I'm not sure that he will get another look in.

The selectors obviously like Lee, and they would have their eyes on Tait for the future.
Keep in mind, that Brad Williams has been out with an injury, and it wasn't that long ago that he was in the squad. He might be too old now though, and would only get a call up if more than one Aust bowler was knocked down with injury.

BrisVegas
19th January 2005, 02:41 PM
It would be interesting to see how all the guys on the cusp of selection would go against the "normal" Australian team.

I don't think there'd be much in it.

terryand
19th January 2005, 02:51 PM
I think the selectors would go with Lee, but the form of Bichel and Bracken would come into play.

Unfortunately, i also think Shane Tait has strong claims.

I agree Fishy,Tait bowled pretty good in the Australia A games.

The way that Bics is bowling at state level though, shows that he has lost none of what got him in the Top team, he seems to me to still be a cut above the rest apart from the guys mentioned above.

Figures now...14 overs...8 maidens...1/15 :shock:

Jeez he got smashed in his aecond spell :?

Terry.

Terry.

davidp
19th January 2005, 02:55 PM
I think that Tait is a long term project for the selectors. They'll probably pick him for the Ashes tour as a project player.

Lee is definitely the preferred option at the moment. He has Punter's support and deserves another chance after being the perennial 12th man for the Tests.

Jarro
19th January 2005, 07:36 PM
i think the ACB has shown it's hand in the Bichel case by not renewing his contract :x

it's a tough school this Aussie cricket scene, so many good players to choose from... you really have to be something special to get a look in :shock:

goughy
19th January 2005, 08:16 PM
I think bichel was hurt by spending so much time as 12th man in the aussie side and not getting any match practice. When he did get a game he was lacking a bit. I heard that he was one of the hardest working guys in the aussie team, but that he understood where his place was gonna be.

I think the 12th man position could use some revision. If they can't bowl or bat then why waste a top bowler etc and stop them from getting some match practice. I really thought this was gonna happen to lee too. How can you prove you're match ready when you don't get to play any matches.

One a side note; my sister works in radiography and has dealt with most top sportspeople in brisbane from time to time. She said andy bichel was one of the most down to earth and nicest guys she'd met. She x-rayed one of his hands once for a suspected broken little finger. He asked if it was gonna affect his batting (this was several years ago now). She said to him 'Why? Do you think they're gonna drop you from 10 to 11?' Aparently laughed his head off.

markTHEblake
19th January 2005, 10:58 PM
The Aussie selectors have shown time and time again that they are always looking to the future. Michael Bevan suffered the same fate too.

Dont think it would matter how good Bichels form is from now on, he is not going to get a run. Unless All of Lee, mcgrath, Gillespie and Kwicz get injured at the same time they wont need his experience.

Fishman Dan
19th January 2005, 11:09 PM
I think the 12th man position could use some revision

The ABC radio commentators were discussing this - the County Cricket matches start an extra day after the start of a test match, allowing the 12th man to go back to his County team if required. This should be adopted here too.

Michael Bevan suffered the same fate too

Bevo's fate was a younger Alan Donald, and bowling from the chest up. He just couldn't cope with World Class bowlers aiming at his throat. He was found out.

Mind you, look at Matt Hayden, Martyn, S. Waugh! In Australian cricket, those who have had another shot after a less than sensational start have usually you come back stronger.

markTHEblake
19th January 2005, 11:44 PM
The 12th man is the dumbest thing in cricket. Was it Bichel that was pissed on by this system in the Australia V Australia A final.

He was the star bowler for Aus A during the tournament, picked for Australia for the final only, and then made 12th man.

I like the 11 bowl , 11 bat system. But then again if thats used they are gunna pick a 13th arent they.

AndyP
20th January 2005, 08:35 AM
The Aussie selectors have shown time and time again that they are always looking to the future.
Except in the case of Darren Lehmann.

The 12th man is only really needed if there is an injury concern, or if they are going to do a last minute pitch assessment before picking the final 11.

When the Aussie squad is picked for a Davis Cup tie, they always add a young player to expose them to top level tennis and the training involved, etc.
Perhaps the Australian cricket side, could adopt something like this for the 13th man, so the 12th man can be released. At least when playing in Australia anyway.

McMw
20th January 2005, 10:57 AM
agree with MTB...

the 12th man role is piss weak...serves no purpose...
might as well just get one of the local state guys to fill in the shoes...afterall, they're only there to field....and if they're good enuff for state team, they should do allright...

Bichel really got the raw end of the deal with his 12th man role, and same thing is happening to Lee... :x