PDA

View Full Version : Walked some of the new holes at Hyatt Coolum

Hux
26th July 2009, 03:32 PM
Just come home from a long weekend at the Hyatt.

We were up at the tennis centre and I could see the new holes - have no interest in tennis and had a full Corona so set off through a side gate for a wander.

I will be interested in testing the new layout. the new 3rd will easily knock either 10 or 18 out of the index 1/2 position. The new holes should take the "easy" factor out of the front 9 and make it a much tough proposition if you aren't hitting straight off the tee. Only the biggest hitters need apply for an eagle chance on the new 1st by the look of it.

So new holes are:

1st Par 5, 500m+ and has extensive water on the left side for most of the hole, timber on the right. Green is essentially an island with a rock lined creek around it and foot bridges on and off. Very pretty hole in the afternoon.

2nd Par 3 @ 160m. 2 different tee blocks. Not sure which will be the longer or more difficult. Quite a wide narrow green shielded with a bunker front right and rear centre.

3rd Par 4 441m. I walked this and thought "hmmm tough short par 5", Checked the book when I got home and saw it was a par 4 and thought - not for most weekend golfers. Very narrow landing zone with trees left, bunker right and then water left until it cuts in to a very narrow neck before the green. Green is long and bunkers right front and rear from memory. Should sort the men from the boys at the PGA.

4th Par 4 300m. A great risk/reward hole. Big bunkers shield this from @ 240m in. I saw this and thought the bunkers around the hole were like teeth. Big bank over the back left and a natural cut runoff front left for anyone contemplating running a drive in - big hitters only can apply. Hitting long and right will also have lots of risk with plenty of sand shielding right.

5th Par 5 @ 500m for this one. Didn't walk it but OOB left and timber right with a narrow fairway. Didn't get up to check the green as my Corona was empty.

6th. Par 3 and can't remember the distance, up hill with the green in behind the old 2nd tees.

7th is the existing 2nd - can't see if they will move the tees back or not, 8th the 3rd and 9th the 9th.

Status. Some work being done on the drains but fairways are knitted - some deep coring done on the verges of fairways. Grass coverage is pretty good and by end of September will be pretty much 100%

Greens are full established, bunkers done, shrubs/gardens planted. Irrigation is in. Need the hole signs and bins.

Some breakthough grass on the greens means a poison and core perhaps but I am not expert.

Minor_Threat
26th July 2009, 03:50 PM
4th Par 3 300m. A great risk/reward hole. Big bunkers shield this from @ 240m in. I saw this and thought the bunkers around the hole were like teeth. Big bank over the back left and a natural cut runoff front left for anyone contemplating running a drive in - big hitters only can apply. Hitting long and right will also have lots of risk with plenty of sand shielding right.F a r k me.. lol

Thanks for the write up mate, I'm keen for a hit there also!

zacdullard
26th July 2009, 03:51 PM
Sound very interesting indeed and i can't wait to see how the pro's go on it this year.

4th Par 3 300m. A great risk/reward hole. Big bunkers shield this from @ 240m in. I saw this and thought the bunkers around the hole were like teeth. Big bank over the back left and a natural cut runoff front left for anyone contemplating running a drive in - big hitters only can apply. Hitting long and right will also have lots of risk with plenty of sand shielding right.
Is that a typo or is that for real as it seems mighty long for a par 3

zacdullard
26th July 2009, 03:51 PM
Damn you MT you beat me to it.

Hux
26th July 2009, 05:16 PM
Sorry lads Par 4 300 metres.

Even RTJ3 wouldn't do that to us weekend warriors.

Funny as I walked it I was thinking hmmm long par 3...210 ish but then the dead ground from the first set of fairway bunkers in revealed itself.

I think Coolum will be more like Brooky as far as resort course levels go. Pretty, very interesting but massive penalties apply for wayward ball striking.

One extra positive on taking the beachside 6 holes off is that for non carting golfers it will be a far more walk friendly course with lots of the longer distances between holes taken out.

WBennett
26th July 2009, 05:24 PM
Is there any map of the redesign around? A quick google search gave me nothing

ParMaster
26th July 2009, 07:01 PM
Pics?

Hux
26th July 2009, 07:51 PM
Last I checked a Corona is not a camera :-)