PDA

View Full Version : Toowoomba City GC course notes

davidp
19th January 2005, 02:30 AM
Hi guys,

Finally got around to writing these up. *My ADSL provider doesn't have an FTP site, so sorry about the long post here.

These notes are neither definitive nor comprehensive. *The measurements of distances to hazards, out of bounds etc.. are approximate and were not precisely measured.

Where I have referred to left hand side or right hand side, it is from the perspective of looking from the tee. *ie. a bunker on the right of the green is looking at the green from the tee.

I'm far from a strategist or golf course architect. *These notes are a true hacker's impressions. *Use them at your peril.

1st – 314m par 4

No fairway bunkers.

Fairway doglegs slightly left to right. *Trees left and right. *New plantings of unstaked pines on the left 190 mtrs from the tee has made an approach from the left hand rough more difficult. *Best line is down the middle with a hint of fade.

Out of bounds 10 – 15 metres on the left hand side.

If you want to bounce your approach shot it short of the green, beware. *There's a spongy patch just short of the green that tends to stop balls dead unless you hit a low trajectory approach.

Bunkers left and right of the narrow green. *The green falls away at the back with overhanging trees protecting the back, making a recovery bump and run or pitch difficult.

2nd – 170m par 3

This hole plays uphill and often into the wind. *The green is two tiered with a 175m carry to the top tier, 160 m to the front of green but can roll off down the fairway. *Bunkers protect the front and middle left portion of the green. *Small bushes & spongy rough protect the right hand side.

3rd – 365m par 4

This hole plays downhill. *Trees right and left. 2 bunkers left covering about 150mtrs to 90mtrs from green. *New plantings of unstaked pines in the last 9 months has toughened up the left hand rough. *Finding the right hand side means a chip out sideways. *Having a shot to the green from the right hand trees is rare.

270 m to the creek, OOB 15 – 20m to the left of the fairway.

Ideal tee shot distance is 240m. Bugger of a green has a front right bunker with the green shaping behind it and a back left bunker. Whatever you do be on the same half of the green as the pin.

4th – 180m par 3

OOB on the left 25m off the left edge of the fairway. Small trees and plantings are a pita on the right.

New green in play. *Bunkers left and right and front right with grass bunkers around as well. *Green has a huge swail running diagonally to the centre then back away again, creating at least 3 zones on the green. *You wanna be on the correct one.

5th – 319m par 4. As of this week now a 347mtr par 4.

**Edit**
Slight dogleft right par 4 to a fairway that will kick the ball right. 2 fairway bunkers on right from about 150mtrs from green to about 100mtrs.

Greenside bunker protects the front right of the green. *Tall tree will block out an approach shot from a well-hit drive down the left hand side big time now, as the green is further away amd you can no longer take a lofted club over it.

Righthand trees are death. You used to be able to punch a shot to the green and the fairway would lead it the right way, or you could even get a clear shot at the green. With the new green there is no chance.

Don't miss long, or right, big drop off - really don't miss right, you'll need absailing gear to get down to your ball and then back up to the green.

6th – 345m par 4

Straight par 4. *All trouble is evident from the tee. *Fairway bunkers 140m out. *Fly the left hand edge of the bunkers with a driver and the fairway opens up. *Bunkers protect the green. *A bump and run shot is possible.

7th – 322m par 4

If you've got a draw shot in your bag, use it here if playing driver. *Aim for the right and draw to the middle.

A tee shot down the left will partially block an approach shot to the green, unless you draw your 2nd. *Best line is the middle / right of the fairway. *If venturing into the right hand rough, be content to chip out sideways.

A bunker protects the front left of the green. *It's preferable to be short of the green rather than long as the rough is long at the back and the green slopes back to front.

8th – 132m par 3

If you plan to lay up short of the creek here, pick up your sticks and go home.

Two tiered green slopes back to front, with a ridge running pretty much through the middle of the green. *Bunkers left and back of green.

9th – 380m par 4

Dogleg left to right. *Ideal line is the right hand trees with a draw to the middle of the fairway. *Left are trees until 100m from the green, but the rough is still quite thick. 2 fairway bunkers on left from about 170mtrs out. *Bunkers left and right protect the undulating green which slopes back to front. *OOB is 15m to the back of the green.

10th – 439m par 5

Yes, it's possible to reach the green in 2, but it's a long way up the hill. *The members don't call it Heart Attack hill for nothing. *Fairway bunkers 240 – 250m from the tee protect the left hand side of the generous fairway. *A grass bunker (old sand trap) 230m from the tee protects the right hand side of the fairway. *Trees on the right, but it is possible to advance your ball up the fairway playing from them.

Trees left and sparser trees right protect against a wayward lay-up.

Bunkers protect the front left and front right of the green that slopes severely back to front.

No danger at the back of the green except rough. *It is a tricky chip down the sloping green though…

11th – 347 m par 4

Ideal tee shot is right hand side of the fairway. *The slope will kick the ball to the middle.

No bunkers guarding the green.

12th – 364m par 4

Ideal line left middle of the fairway with the fairway camber kicking the ball to the middle or to the right side. *A two-tiered green with a severe step makes finding the correct tier important to avoid the specter of a three putt.

Sand bunker front right of the green. *Grass bunker front left.

Rough can be a little thick once off the apron of the green making chipping difficult. *To hold the green chipping from the left rough is difficult.

13th –350m par 4

Dogleg right to left 220 m from the tee with the fairway descending to a green protected right and back by bunkers. *Long hitters may cut the corner of the dogleg. *The fairway will kick balls from the right hand side of the fairway down. Fairway bunker left from 150m out protecting 3 woods off tee, another on the left 30m further down for drivers.

14th – 346m par 4

Fairway bunkers protect the corner of the 90* left dogleg. *Approx 210m carry is required to carry the right most bunker. *245 – 250m required to carry the left most bunker. *Sand in the fairway bunkers is fairly soft making an approach shot more difficult.

Bunkers protect the green left, back and back right. *Green is two-tiered and slopes back to front and is approx 20 metres long.

15th – 140m par 3

The oldest hole on the course, the 14th can be tricky to club especially if the wind is blowing, as it is a very exposed slightly downhill par 3.

Bunkers protect the green right, front and left. *Over the back of the green is 5-10 metres of light hard rough before the 15th tee is reached. *The front bunkers here are quite deep.

16th – 367m par 4

Driving from a protected tee, this par 4 doglegs 90* at approx 260m from the tee. *Out of bounds is 15 m on the left hand side of the fairway that is the safe side to miss on. *A drive into the right hand rough often means a chip out sideways. *A line of moderately thick trees right offers further deterrence to a "pronounced fade".

The green is well protected by bunkers front left and front right. *Further bunkers left and right and a steep drop off the back offer further hazards. *Out of bounds 25 metres left of the green

17th – 480m par 5

This par 5 plays uphill making it difficult, but not impossible to find the green in two.

Fairway bunkers 230 – 240 metres from the tee on the left hand side. *Thickly covered mounds protect the right hand side of the fairway. *Out of bounds 20 -25 metres off the left edge of the fairway.

For a layup the fairway narrows slightly 120m from the green. *Trees left and further right off the fairway.

Bunkers front left and front right protect the green. *Further bunkers on the right hand side. *The bunker on the left is 2.5m deep. *The green falls sharply away at the back into thick rough making a recovery chip difficult.

18th – 406m par 4

The closing hole is a downhill par 4 with fairway bunkers on the right hand side. *A carry of approx 220 is required to carry the left most fairway bunker. *Further bunkers guard the right hand rough until the 150m markers. *Trees right and left. *Out of bounds is less than 10 metres from the left edge of the fairway.

The green is large and two tiered, sloping back to front. *Bunkers left and right guard against an errant approach shot which is played across a creek 10m short of the front edge of the green. *Spongy rough at the back of the green makes judging a chip back down the green difficult.

AndyP
19th January 2005, 09:38 AM
I've cut and pasted into a word doc, so I can read at leisure.

Thanks Dave.

Onewood
19th January 2005, 10:32 AM
I've cut and pasted into a word doc, so I can read at leisure.

Thanks Dave.

I did the same AP..and then deleted all this OOB talk :D

Thanks for the effort Dave 8)

davidp
19th January 2005, 11:54 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if there should be a separate folder for course notes / course reviews?

Apologies if the focus was on OOB locations. Just delete every mention of OOB. In fact, erase all OOB thoughts.

Repeat after me:

"I don't see out of bounds markers"
"I don't see out of bounds markers"

Just messing with your minds now... :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyP
19th January 2005, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if there should be a separate folder for course notes / course reviews?
:idea: I think it is a good idea.

Dave, we only have to look at your signature to know that you are obsessed with OOB.

AndyP
20th January 2005, 12:32 PM
:?: Does City GC have colour coded flags, for example, red front, white centre, yellow back?

Any sprinkler distance marks? Or is there just 150m and 100m marks?

davidp
20th January 2005, 01:13 PM
:?: Does City GC have colour coded flags, for example, red front, white centre, yellow back?

Any sprinkler distance marks? Or is there just 150m and 100m marks?

Not that I know of. The rough flag locations are usually on a board outside the pro shop.

No distances on sprinkler heads. Just 150m markers (stakes) and 100m markers (small conifers).

BrisVegas
20th January 2005, 01:17 PM
No distances on sprinkler heads. Just 150m markers (stakes) and 100m markers (small conifers).

I seem to recall from my game there in October that there were concrete discs in the fairway at 100m to centre of the green.

Jaster may be able to shed some light on the subject. :wink:

AndyP
20th January 2005, 01:22 PM

I seem to recall from my game there in October that there were concrete discs in the fairway at 100m to centre of the green.
I remember spray-on discs to indicate green centre or green front for 100m, 150m, 200m. But they would only be there for the Pro-Am.

davidp
20th January 2005, 01:36 PM

Jaster may be able to shed some light on the subject. :wink:

Yep, there are concrete disks for 100m to the centre of the green.

How's the game strategy going andyp??

AndyP
20th January 2005, 01:45 PM
Fine mate. Had a look at the front nine.

My main strategy at the moment, is having a plan for T-shots and trying to get myself about 90m out from greens. If inside 90m, I have to start playing with my swing, and I would prefer to hit a full wedge in.
I recognise that I don't have a great short game, and don't have the hours to work on it, either so I play to not have to rely on it.
So this means on holes like the 309m 4th, I don't pull out a driver, but use a club that would hit about 200m.

BrisVegas
20th January 2005, 01:51 PM
Fine mate. Had a look at the front nine.

I recognise that I don't have a great short game... So this means on holes like the 309m 4th, I don't pull out a driver, but use a club that would hit about 200m.

Nah... Pull the big red club and belt the snot out of it!! :twisted: :twisted: Worst case you'll be chipping from under a tree up near pin high somewhere!!

You realise of course that I'll be whispering that game plan in your ear all day on Sunday... :lol: :lol:

AndyP
20th January 2005, 01:58 PM
You realise of course that I'll be whispering that game plan in your ear all day on Sunday... :lol: :lol:
That's alright. Nothing worries me when I am at peace with the golf course. :roll: :mrgreen:

Jarro
20th January 2005, 04:37 PM
you do realise that all this talk of "game plan's" will probably not be allowed on the Krispy Kreme tour :roll:

have a good day on sunday guys ... give Jaster a big kiss from me :P

AndyP
20th January 2005, 04:51 PM
you do realise that all this talk of "game plan's" will probably not be allowed on the Krispy Kreme tour :roll:
Considering the Krispy Kreme business has been in a bit of trouble recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the plug was pulled on the tour.

Tongue or no tongue?

Jarro
20th January 2005, 04:54 PM
Tongue or no tongue?

i'll leave that totally up to you :shock:

goughy
21st January 2005, 07:56 AM
Finally had time ot check your course notes david. Main thing is there are no bunkers on 11.

Watch the greens, they can be trickier than they look. Many seem to have subtle swails through them and can be hard to read. The green on 10 is a bastard because after going up a steep hill you kind of feel that the green is flatter than it is. It is quite severely sloped back to front. Many have putted off the front from the backof the green, and if you go long you're dead.

I don't want to tell you guys too much. I did notes for city for our first isg game there. If I remember correctly no one read them :wink:

Forget looking for the yellow 100mtr markers in the middle of the fariways, the 100mtr tree by the side is easier to find. The flags will be all different colours but they mean nothing. The pin positions will be marked on a board outside the pro shop.

Have fun guys.

davidp
21st January 2005, 11:58 AM
Notes edited for the 11th hole as per goughy's suggestion.

I've only ever been over the back of the 10th green once. It was a butt-clenching chip back down. Thought I hit it hard enough to trickle on. It ran all the way to the front edge. :shock:

AndyP
21st January 2005, 12:08 PM
Notes edited for the 11th hole as per goughy's suggestion.
11 is actually one of the holes I can remember OK, as it was the starting hole for the shotgun in the Pro-Am last year. I was scratching my head, trying to remember the bunkers that you initially mentioned.

I remember the starting and finishing couple of holes of each nine, but I'm stumped trying to remember holes from the middle of the nines (even with the notes).

markTHEblake
21st January 2005, 02:20 PM
where are the important notes; like where the hell is the course.
I just figure, i'll head west for a while and see what happens

davidp
21st January 2005, 02:28 PM
So, who's looking after the kids Blakey?

Just follow the road highway which turns into James St. Turn left somewhere (think it's Ruthven St) and drive for about a km. Turn right into South St and it's right down the end. Can't miss it.

Or, just head out your front door and drive north west for an hour and a half... :)

BrisVegas
21st January 2005, 02:34 PM
where are the important notes; like where the hell is the course.
I just figure, i'll head west for a while and see what happens

Haven't you played there before???

Ok... Come up the range, stay on the main truck route west which will become James Street. You'll go through about 4 sets of lights before you reach the main street, Ruthven St. You'll pass St Pat's cathedral on your left and there are a couple of servos on the right side, either side of Ruthven St. Turn left onto Ruthven St, which would have you heading south towards Warwick etc. About a kilometre up the road, turn right into South Street and you should see the golf club on your left. You can also turn down Healy St, as the two streets join up near the golf club.

markTHEblake
21st January 2005, 04:22 PM
No i havent been to toowoomba before. Thanks gents, now if only someone knows the tee time i will be right.

AndyP
13th September 2005, 09:01 AM
*bump*

Any chance of you doing an update to davidp's guide, goughy? 8)

AndyP
15th May 2007, 03:24 PM
I thought post #24 asked a valid question. ;)

goughy
15th May 2007, 05:29 PM
I 'spose I can look at it some time, which means not likely. You all know me! ;)

goughy
15th May 2007, 05:45 PM
OK andyp, I have edited the first post to kind of reflect changes.