PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the Club Fitting Gurus..

Minor_Threat
20th July 2009, 01:13 PM
At the moment my shafts are 1" longer than standard. However my ball striking has been a heap better when I grip down about ½" or so.

Should I cut down my clubs that ½" and grip then in my normal position or should I just continue gripping down a little with the shaft length I currently have?

My initial thoughts are it will screw with the swingweights and shaft flex (D3 and X100 from memory). Do you think the clubs will still feel as comfortable at this length as when they do gripping down?

I hope this all makes sense.

Cheers
MT

henno
20th July 2009, 01:22 PM
If you grip down 1/2" on your 4-iron, how well do you hit your 5-iron? Or 6-iron?

Or is it just the change of lie as you go down that causes problems?

Minor_Threat
20th July 2009, 01:26 PM
If you grip down 1/2" on your 4-iron, how well do you hit your 5-iron? Or 6-iron?

Or is it just the change of lie as you go down that causes problems?I just seem to hit the ball more solid at this length with all clubs and get a better flight. I never used to have that issue though (5 years or so ago whern playing regularly).

It also feels more comfortable, I'm not sure if this is then contributing to my confidence levels gripping at this length?

sms316
20th July 2009, 01:29 PM
At the moment my shafts are 1" longer than standard. However my ball striking has been a heap better when I grip down about ½" or so.
I always find that if something is working well, then there aren't too many reasons for change. Just ask IBF.

Sorry for the simplistic reply.

parlyboy
20th July 2009, 01:31 PM
I always find that if something is working well, then there aren't too many reasons for change. Just ask IBF.

Sorry for the simplistic reply.
Fair call SMS, IBF is the man anyway.

henno
20th July 2009, 01:32 PM
Obviously I am no club-fitting guru and therefore have no business in this thread, but apart from the lie angle changes I can't understand how merely shortening all clubs by 1/2" can have such drastic effects when each club in the set is progressively shorter anyway. Assuming that there is nothing wrong with the lie angles, if someone were to grip down on their 4-iron 1/2" wouldn't that mean they could hit their 5-iron just fine?

Or is that the answer: It is all about lie angle and length combined.

I await the sage-like insight of virge and others.

Johnny Canuck
20th July 2009, 01:36 PM
I have recently gone back to standard length shafts in my irons as my local clubfitters "accidentally" built my old set over standard and I never noticed until I got the new ones. I had used longer irons before, so they felt normal.

My accuracy has improved a ton since I have switched.

I am a firm believer in not f**king with something that works, but, I also hate gripping down. If I were you, I'd snip, but it is a tough call either way.

Good luck.

Minor_Threat
20th July 2009, 01:41 PM
Obviously I am no club-fitting guru and therefore have no business in this thread, but apart from the lie angle changes I can't understand how merely shortening all clubs by 1/2" can have such drastic effects when each club in the set is progressively shorter anyway. Assuming that there is nothing wrong with the lie angles, if someone were to grip down on their 4-iron 1/2" wouldn't that mean they could hit their 5-iron just fine?

Or is that the answer: It is all about lie angle and length combined.

I await the sage-like insight of virge and others.I think your logic would be correct if all irons were the same lie and length, but they aren't...

I'm leaning towards just sticking with the slight grip down!

Johnny Canuck
20th July 2009, 01:52 PM
Do that until things aren't working as well. Then you have a perfect excuse to cut them down!

Minor_Threat
20th July 2009, 04:59 PM
Do that until things aren't working as well. Then you have a perfect excuse to cut them down!Yeah, problem is I can't change them back, unless I go new shafts..

idgolfguy
20th July 2009, 05:16 PM
Get your lies tested as it can be backed out easily enough. Make sure you do every club rather than just one or two as some pro-shops do.

The weight change does make a difference.

simmsy
20th July 2009, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't mess with it until it stops working!
if you make the change and things go pear shaped either with the club or with your head then you're screwed.

I'm sure Virge will give a proper answer here abouts somewhere though.

Minor_Threat
20th July 2009, 05:20 PM
Get your lies tested as it can be backed out easily enough. Make sure you do every club rather than just one or two as some pro-shops do.

The weight change does make a difference.I know the lies because I did them myself years ago.

They are 2* upright.

razaar
20th July 2009, 05:50 PM
Gripping down the shaft hasn't hurt Anthony Kim. Gripping down the shaft may be bringing your hands closer to the knees which is always a good thing and will get your hands higher. Obviously the shafts are too long ; split the difference and knock off 1/2". It will change the swing weight slightly but you should get more consistant contact because you are closer to the ball and have your hands in position for the 2* upright lie.

markTHEblake
20th July 2009, 10:24 PM
If you drop down by 1/2" you also need to change your lie angle by 1 deg more upright, and its 3 SW points lighter, and 1/2 a club in distance.

Do you think the clubs will still feel as comfortable at this length as when they do gripping down?

I had my new set shortened by 1/2 as i was gripping down anyway. I didnt even know until Percy told me ( i wondered why he was checking me out, i thought it was the shorts i was wearing)

I still choke down with the new ones though, its a hard habit to kick. But I think I am learning that I actually hit the ball better now when i dont.

Gomez38
21st July 2009, 09:39 AM
it should make no difference. gripping down half inch is changing the club steup anyway. there is no need to cut them down. just keep hitting the way you are. easy.
if you were fitted for them at one inch over then stick to it.
Cutting down clubs half inch wont effect swingweight noticably at all.
Good Luck

virge666
22nd July 2009, 06:54 PM
I know the lies because I did them myself years ago.

They are 2* upright.

The lies change mate - quite easily too. Depends on the club - but once every six months is a good option for a decent player.

Back to the length question.

Gripping down is NOT an option, never has been and never will be... UNLESS you have always gripped down. AK gets away with it as he has always gripped down.

A lot of pros I have fitted are usually one inch over - they all seem to be +1" and D9 swing weight. The trouble is - as you play less and less - the length can be costly.

Head down to your pro and grab a fitting set of differing lengths and some face tape or powder and just see where your impact patterns are best. DO it immediately and not after you have warmed up to get the best results.

Do worry about distance - 1/2 inch if SFA on a iron - especially when you are a decent player and get the hands ahead at impact - Only a chopper would add length to a club to get distance, they need the head to flip over to add the distance.

Enjoy

Minor_Threat
22nd July 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the advice Virge..

Funny thing is, I changed my grips before my come back about 2 months ago. I went to Lamkin cords from Golf Pride "Victory" I think (The ones with the grip indication lines). After comparing the two grips it appears I was holding the Lamkins in a different position to the old Golf Prides.

Anyway, ball striking has been quite good after realising this, but I will endevour to get fitted once again.

virge666
22nd July 2009, 07:54 PM
Anyway, ball striking has been quite good after realizing this, but I will endeavor to get fitted once again.

got for it mate - us club fitters love fitting guys who know what they want - it makes the job much easier than trying to fit "this weeks swing"

Also - your knowledge of the game helps us cut a lot of corners.