PDA

View Full Version : The run on Qld courses

Sydney Hacker
17th July 2009, 09:40 AM
I have just gotten back from a couple of weeks in Qld and managed to get a couple of games in at Maryborough and Hervey Bay.

Both nice tracks and throughly enjoyable but I couldn't get over the amount of run they both had. Compared to Sydney courses where there is very little run I was amazed.

It actually made it hard to put a drive to a certain spot or layup accurately because the was a big chance of the ball skipping through.

Are a lot of courses like this or is it just in that area ?

Jarro
17th July 2009, 09:42 AM
Sure are, it's why we all hit 350 meter drives up here

henno
17th July 2009, 09:50 AM
Sure are, it's why we all hit 350 meter drives up here

Not too much run-on at Nudgee over the last few months. :mrgreen:

Most drives ended with either a splash or a splat!

just
17th July 2009, 09:52 AM
It's winter or more specifically the dry season (although it hasn't been as dry this year). The courses dry and get run in Qld during this period, even Nudgee has improved in the last week or so.

sms316
17th July 2009, 09:54 AM
Sydney courses are full of kikuyu grass. Dunno what is prevelant in Brisbane.

zacdullard
17th July 2009, 05:38 PM
I'm at Gympie which aint to far from Maryborough and there is next to no run at the moment.

Sydney Hacker
17th July 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm at Gympie which aint to far from Maryborough and there is next to no run at the moment.

Wouldn't Gympie depend on if you are hitting up or down the hills ? From memory it is a pretty hilly track isn't it ?

zacdullard
17th July 2009, 05:55 PM
Yeh, when it rains also it holds rediculous amounts of water.

This means that it takes a very long time without rain to get dry, it also means that it takes a very long time after it rains to be playable.

Sydney Hacker
17th July 2009, 06:08 PM
Yeh, when it rains also it holds rediculous amounts of water.

This means that it takes a very long time without rain to get dry, it also means that it takes a very long time after it rains to be playable.

That sounds like the whole town ! Does it still flood after a few drops of rain there ?

zacdullard
17th July 2009, 06:10 PM
Yep

damoocow
17th July 2009, 06:49 PM
I have just gotten back from a couple of weeks in Qld and managed to get a couple of games in at Maryborough and Hervey Bay.

Both nice tracks and throughly enjoyable but I couldn't get over the amount of run they both had. Compared to Sydney courses where there is very little run I was amazed.

It actually made it hard to put a drive to a certain spot or layup accurately because the was a big chance of the ball skipping through.

Are a lot of courses like this or is it just in that area ?

Glad you liked Maryborough . One of the best country courses in my opinion .

Sydney Hacker
17th July 2009, 07:21 PM
Glad you liked Maryborough . One of the best country courses in my opinion .

I have played it a few times and really enjoy it. It is not overly long, especially the par 5's (any that I can home in 2 shots can't be long) but there are enough bunkers to catch a wayward shot which can hurt.

razaar
17th July 2009, 09:12 PM
Run....wait until you get to play Pelican Waters, then you will see some run.;)

AndyP
18th July 2009, 07:08 AM
Run....wait until you get to play Pelican Waters, then you will see some run.;)It's sloshy every time I play it. The courses in NT in the dry season however......

Bailsworth
24th July 2009, 10:18 AM
Funnily enough, i personally have found of recent times that the amount of run on Queensland (specifically SEQ) courses has been significantly less than i have been getting in Melbourne. I Live in Brisbane, but regularly go back down south to visit the olds, and on almost all of the courses i have been playing down there i have been getting anywhere from 15-30m more run on the ball in the south, and i have a particularly high ball flight with a driver.
That being said, it has been unseasonably wet over the past few months in Brisbane, and Pacific Golf club is not always the best when it comes to handling a deluge.

Rusty
29th July 2009, 10:45 PM
so Sydney Hacker, if you were only going to play one course out of the two, it'd be Maryborough?

Sydney Hacker
30th July 2009, 06:58 AM
so Sydney Hacker, if you were only going to play one course out of the two, it'd be Maryborough?

Easy question but with a twist to the ending...

If I was going to play the one course it would be Maryborough hands down.

If I was join one of the clubs, it would most probably be Hervey Bay. Mainly because Maryborough only has comps on Sat & Sun apparently, while Hervey Bay also has Tuesday and Thursday comps, as well as Vets for the old buggers on Mondays.

markTHEblake
30th July 2009, 10:19 AM
Funnily enough, i personally have found of recent times that the amount of run on Queensland (specifically SEQ) courses has been significantly less than i have been getting in Melbourne.

I have never seen as much run ever, as we do when I watch a tournament at Royal Melbourne for example.

It seems to me that a sand base course, southern state, in a dry summer is very condusive to firm fairways.

In Qld our courses are built on clay and/or swamps. Because of the weather we have to pump a lot more water on the course. It's a big surprise to get any run on golf courses around here.

Bailsworth
30th July 2009, 11:01 AM
It seems to me that a sand base course, southern state, in a dry summer is very condusive to firm fairways.

In Qld our courses are built on clay and/or swamps. Because of the weather we have to pump a lot more water on the course. It's a big surprise to get any run on golf courses around here.

The sandy soil is far better at draining that is for sure. Due to this, it is not only during the summer months that the run is long on the sand belt.

I personally spent the majority of my junior years playing on a course that was built on clay, and the net result of that was little to no run in winter, followed by periods of time in summer when you could almost not hit driver for fear of bouncing into the next postcode.