PDA

View Full Version : Putters - what to try??

simmsy
12th July 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm on the look for a new putter and am after your ideas about possible different putters to look out for.

currently looking closely at -

YES Ashley
YES Tracy forged
RIFE Aussie mallet
RIFE Barbados

using a ping craz-e atm and would like something a little firmer off the face perhaps.

gazgolf1
13th July 2009, 05:29 AM
I'm on the look for a new putter and am after your ideas about possible different putters to look out for.

currently looking closely at -

YES Ashley
YES Tracy forged
RIFE Aussie mallet
RIFE Barbados

using a ping craz-e atm and would like something a little firmer off the face perhaps.

Try the Ping IWI range, soft feel but not mushy like some inserts and of course you can change the weights.

TheTrueReview
13th July 2009, 06:31 AM
Give the Mizuno Bettinardi Black Carbon range a look as well. Beautiful feel coming off the putter. http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/putters/bettinardi_c_bc/

Jarro
13th July 2009, 06:58 AM
Scotty Cameron makes nice putters i hear ;)

Boonie
13th July 2009, 10:02 AM
The YES putters will be firmer off the face than the Rifes, but the Rifes put an amazing roll on the ball

sms316
13th July 2009, 10:23 AM
For those that have played Barny what do you reckon ?
Am I likely to get a lot of 20+ foot putts with outrageous breaks ?
Yep.

But having said that, when I played there (4 years ago, I think), the greens were quite slow. They had too much slope on them to be playable if the they were much quicker I would have thought.

Boonie
13th July 2009, 10:25 AM

Yep.

The fescue greens aren't quick though, so you need to give the ball a decent hit, unlike big breaking putts on bent greens.

just
13th July 2009, 10:25 AM
Buy the Barny Dunes Two Ball while your down there, it must be set up for the course:
http://www.barnbougledunes.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=34

Eag's
13th July 2009, 10:40 AM
Threadjacking but kinda related, I have been a long term Ping Anser man for yonks but recently switched over to the 2Ball. I find mostly the 2ball is better for the shorter (less than 10 foot) putts but having problems with the long range distances.

I am off to Barny for my debut later this week and purely for the better touch for long loopy putts I was thinking if taking the Ping.

Rich you will be faced with some putts that will blow your mind :shock:
The greens are massive and bloody undulating.
I remember on a couple of greens I had to putt completely away from the hole to get it somewhere near 10 feet. Have fun and good luck ;)

v205
15th July 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm still using the 1st Scotty that I bought. :)

Yossarian
15th July 2009, 07:47 PM
You put ok with the ping simmsy

Lucasto23
15th July 2009, 09:31 PM
go the rife, awesome roll. currently gaming a Barbados C/s and love it

simmsy
15th July 2009, 10:48 PM
i have purchased a rife tour mallet from giddyupgaz which should be arriving next week:D

Yossarian - I putt ok with the Ping but don't sink any where near enough putts with it, and I don't really like the soft face that it has. I have had a few trial sessions with the rife and it is more of what i am looking for. even more stable than the ping.

simmsy
15th July 2009, 10:49 PM
go the rife, awesome roll. currently gaming a Barbados C/s and love it

the barbados is swwweeetttt. i love the feel off the face but the tour mallet sets up better for me.

Lucasto23
15th July 2009, 10:57 PM
nice buy, you'll be a happy man soon. just remember putting improves with practice;)

simmsy
16th July 2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah certainly does. I had ignored putting practice for a little while and when i got back into it the difference it made was quickly noticable.