PDA

View Full Version : Jono

Jono
16th January 2005, 06:04 PM
Here's a front view of my swing. Next time, I'll get a Down-line view as well.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/myswing.WMV

Couple of things I am working on at the moment.

a) Trying to cut down the lateral movement of my head on the backswing. The sway leaves me prone to hanging back on my right side on the downswing and leaving shots out to the right.

b) I've got the left foot flare syndrome which tends to wear out the outside part of my left shoe very quickly. I'm trying to keep the left foot flat on the ground through impact.

c) Smoothing out the transition a bit more and developing speed half way down. I'm using Brisvegas as my model for this task ... :wink:

d) Working to develop a little bit more clubhead speed. Currently about 100 - 105 mph ... wouldn't mind another 5 to 10 mph. :twisted:

It should be interesting to see how my swing develops this year.

Jarro
16th January 2005, 06:07 PM
can't get the link to work Doc :smt017

Jono
16th January 2005, 06:28 PM

It should work now ... Beware if you are using dial-up. 744 kb's ... :lol:

Jarro
16th January 2005, 06:35 PM

thanks for the warning :roll:

Jono
16th January 2005, 07:38 PM

thanks for the warning :roll:

Sorry mate. I tried compressing it more, but the quality of the video went downhill fast. Next time, I'll try to get a photo sequence like Trung.

Onewood
16th January 2005, 07:51 PM
Not bad Jono, 8) but I did think you where playing tee ball there for awhile...whats that big black thing under the ball :wink:

Hips moving through nicely, chest turned to the target 8) but your head seems to be swaying back a little.......but I'm no swing expert :)

BrisVegas
16th January 2005, 07:57 PM
c) Smoothing out the transition a bit more and developing speed half way down. I'm using Brisvegas as my model for this task ... :wink:

For the Love of God, DON'T copy my swing. :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:

The only thing worth copying is the bucket hat. :wink:

Jono
16th January 2005, 07:59 PM
Not bad Jono, 8) but I did think you where playing tee ball there for awhile...whats that big black thing under the ball :wink:

Hips moving through nicely, chest turned to the target 8) but your head seems to be swaying back a little.......but I'm no swing expert :)

Yeah, the head swaying back is my biggest fault at the moment. I sort of compensate by moving my head back to the address position as I start down, but this means that if my timing is off, I start spraying the ball.

I want to look more like this at the top ... :wink:

http://img147.exs.cx/img147/7871/dsc001019dw.jpg

BrisVegas
16th January 2005, 08:01 PM

Better start eating Jono... :lol: :wink:

Onewood
16th January 2005, 08:08 PM

well to get this well balanced you'll need a bit more ballast at the front :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
16th January 2005, 08:08 PM
Sorry mate. I tried compressing it more, but the quality of the video went downhill fast. Next time, I'll try to get a photo sequence like Trung.

if you change the video to mpeg, I can extract frame by frame to jpeg for you. or you can Download Virtualdub and do it yourself - its quite simple and free. (most editing programs dont support WMV becuase of MS licensing)

Trung
16th January 2005, 09:03 PM
Nice video mate. A bit too quick for my eyes :oops:

Whats with the iron on the ground? Surely you don't need it :wink:

andylo
16th January 2005, 10:58 PM
To me its a very nice looking swing :)

Thanks Jono for the effort.

Keza_G
17th January 2005, 04:25 PM
Hey Jono....

Nice looking swing..... I was wondering about that fron foot..... are you pivoting on the heel there....?

Very sound at the top, really nice to get to parallel at the top....

Really nice right through the swing Jono, just wondering about the "Front Foot Spin-out"....

Cheers

Keza

Jarro
17th January 2005, 05:51 PM
just wondering about the "Front Foot Spin-out"....

he's probably been watching clips of Golfer13's swing :P

Jono
17th January 2005, 08:06 PM
Hey Jono....

Nice looking swing..... I was wondering about that fron foot..... are you pivoting on the heel there....?

Hey Keza,

I think you are onto something there. I've been trying to keep that front foot from spinning out without much success. If I forced myself to keep the front foot flat on the ground, I seemed to lose some of the freedom of the downswing motion.

When I read your "pivoting on the heel" comment, something clicked. I went out to the backyard and hit some balls into the net, concentrating on keeping the weight on the ball of the left foot as I swung down instead of letting it get to the heel too quickly. It seems to be working. I could swing freely and aggressively without spinning out the front foot.

Thanks for the tip. :wink:

Keza_G
17th January 2005, 08:21 PM
No worries Jono......

I do it too sometimes, I think it comes from being a little too aggresive and having lazy leg work and spinning out of the shot early. For me personally it comes from not being committed to staying with the shot until the follow through, I "fall off" the shot early and spin on my heel... it is very evident in a couple of Long Drive pics I have of myself...

Another thing I think of is to transfer the weight, fair bit to transfer, then turn through the shot.

Anyhow, glad I could help.

Cheers

Keza

davidp
17th January 2005, 09:21 PM
Like the position at the top Jono. :)

Just wondering if the front foot spin out means that your weight is moving left and contributes to hanging the ball out to the right :?:

Jono
18th January 2005, 05:45 PM
Just wondering if the front foot spin out means that your weight is moving left and contributes to hanging the ball out to the right :?:

Not sure. I'll see if I can keep my left foot flat through impact a bit more.

I think in general, I have too much lateral movement on the way back and too much on the way through. I am working on staying centered a bit more.

Thanks for your comments.

Jono
31st October 2005, 12:30 PM
OK.  It's been 9 months since the last video, and I've made a couple of swing changes.  Actually, I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my swing (after seeing my swing on Grant's video).  I just have too many moving parts.

I have just commited to series of 10 lessons from a pro and had my first lesson. I've slowed the tempo right down and my primary thought at the moment is to keep my head steady, both going back and coming down.  Not still, just steady.  The pro showed me a great way to check this using the shadow.  Just have the sun behind you so your shadow is in front.  Watch the shadow of your head and see how far it moves during a practice swing.  A little sideways movement is OK.

Here is the video clip from January.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/myswing.WMV

You can see how far my head moves back on the backswing and how I have to recover on the downswing by moving it back forward.

I took a video last evening in the garage, using a training device (Yep, yet another training aid ... :lol: ).  It's basically a club with a plastic ball at the end of it with velcrose.  Instead of hitting golf balls, you hit a soft pad which sticks onto the velcrose on the club, giving you a sensation of impact.  It's a good training aid when you are trying to make swing changes because it takes away the "emotional stress" of trying to hit the ball. :lol: Oh, and you can use it indoors too. 8)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/swingoct05.WMV

As you can see, I've slowed the swing down quite a bit and my head doesn't move as much as it did before.

Contrary to my belief that I was coming over the top, the pro said I have an inside-out move. :shock:  On the followthrough, my hands move on a much more upright plane than it does on the downswing.  They should match up a bit more. Something I will work on in the future.

For now, I'm happy with the slower tempo and a steadier head.  I'll try to ingrain that before I move on to other things. I'll try to get a video of me actually hitting the golf ball in the next couple of weeks.

Next lesson is going to be on putting and chipping ... I have a feeling that the pro is going to tell me to lose the sidesaddle ...  :cry:

jaster
31st October 2005, 01:26 PM
Jono - Congratulations on the changes you have made, your swing looks far better and way simpler than it did in January with less moving parts. The steadier head can only lead to more consistency and better results.

Now if only we could get your putting sorted out :lol: :wink:

Jono
31st October 2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Jaster. At the moment, I'm fighting the urge to swing faster until I ingrain this steady head thing ... 8)

The pro I'm going to is very conventional when it comes to golf technique, and he wants to keep things as simple as possible. That goes for putting too. So, in anticipation that he'll probably cut my sidesaddle putter in half if I turned up to a lesson with it, I've gone back to the short stick. Yep, boring conventional method ... :lol:

I'll see where this series of lessons takes me ... 8)

Jarro
31st October 2005, 05:05 PM
good luck Jono , the swings looking pretty good ATM :smt023

TS
31st October 2005, 07:07 PM
Jono, the swing looks good. A lot less lower body movment. Your left heel come off the ground on the back swing before. It seem to stay planted now. Your back swing stop at parallel, where it used to be about 10* below parallel.

Jono
31st October 2005, 09:42 PM
Your back swing stop at parallel, where it used to be about 10* below parallel.

You mean like the guy in your avatar? :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the positive comments, Tony. However, this is me swinging at 3/4 tempo with a training club. Put a driver in my hands at Terry Hills range and I'd probably start overswinging again, trying to clear the back fence ... :roll:

I might just hit my irons until the hitting impluse subsides. 8)

Jarro
1st November 2005, 04:58 AM
Jono, just out of curiosity, what does your driver swingweight at :?: You might be better of going to a heavier club to help you maintain better rhythm :smt017

TS
1st November 2005, 06:14 AM

You mean like the guy in your avatar? :wink: :lol:

Thay is why that guy is a total hacker.

Jono
1st November 2005, 07:31 AM
Jono, just out of curiosity, what does your driver swingweight at  :?: You might be better of going to a heavier club to help you maintain better rhythm  :smt017

Which one? :wink: :lol:

Most of my drivers come out around D2, although my R7 which I'm currently using is D0. Probably because of the light weight Fuji Six. It wouldn't be too difficult to add some weight to the head and bring it up to D2 or D3. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion, Jarro. 8)

Jono
1st November 2005, 07:34 AM

You mean like the guy in your avatar?  :wink:   :lol:  

Thay is why that guy is a total hacker.

He can't be too bad if he's the B grade club champion ... 8)

Jono
13th January 2006, 05:12 AM
Swing update (12/1/06). Nine iron swing from front view.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/9ironfront.WMV

Jono
14th January 2006, 10:55 PM
This is the clip of a practice swing using the velcrose impact thingy. (sort of like impact bag but you can swing through it, as opposed to stopping at impact)

Compared to the 9 iron swing above, the head is much steadier and the swing more centered. I still can't do it when I'm hitting a real ball. Don't know why ... :? :smt102

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ohjohn1/practiceswing.WMV

Jono
26th June 2006, 04:12 PM
Just video taped my swing yesterday. Hope this works ...

Jono's swing June 06 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c52rwyv3T2w)

Here's my swing from 2004 for comparison.

Jono's swing 2004 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1d6dsixuaQ)

I think it's getting better. The head seems to be a bit more steady, anyway ... Less sway.

Any comments welcome ... Unless your name is 3oneday ... :roll: :lol:

Jarro
26th June 2006, 04:43 PM
is it me or do i see a tiny PAUSE at the top of the backswing ?? ;)

Looks good Jono, we all EXPECT to see a significant decrease in your handicap now you know !!

miro
26th June 2006, 04:45 PM
MAte,

Watching that swing it's hard to believe you hit the ball as short as you do. :)

Seriously that is a good looking swing.

Ducky
26th June 2006, 05:13 PM
I hope you didn't hook that one out onto the 18th fairway. Just kidding!

On a more serious note, your swing looks quite good there. One thing that, in my opinion, does not look quite right is that you start shifting your weight to your left side before you have completed the backswing.

Overall, I'm quite impressed.

Back on a less serious note, if you ever get depressed about your swing, just think that it could be worse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQbIJpN9WB0&mode=related&search=).

Jono
26th June 2006, 06:50 PM
is it me or do i see a tiny PAUSE at the top of the backswing ?? ;)

I learned it from the best ... ;) :lol:

Jono
26th June 2006, 06:57 PM
MAte,

Watching that swing it's hard to believe you hit the ball as short as you do. :)

Why, miro ... I think that's the nicest thing you've said about me ... :smt058

I've just started lifting weights ... just wait till I gain 20 pounds of hardcore muscle ... 8)

Courty
26th June 2006, 08:07 PM
it could be worse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQbIJpN9WB0&mode=related&search=).

Is that Blakey? :mrgreen: :twisted:

Jono
26th June 2006, 08:14 PM
On a more serious note, your swing looks quite good there. One thing that, in my opinion, does not look quite right is that you start shifting your weight to your left side before you have completed the backswing.

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. I've had problems with swaying off the ball then getting my weight stuck on the right side coming down. I guess I'm compensating to make sure I get my weight to my left foot at impact.

jaster
10th July 2006, 09:47 AM
Wow Jono. Searching through old posts and come across your latest update!! Well done mate. Your swing now looks effortless while still being compact and powerful. I love the rhythm it has and how you have total control over your head and lower body compared to 2 years earlier. All your work should now be from 120m and in....you've mastered the full swing as much as anyone needs.

Jono
17th May 2007, 08:55 AM
Here's my latest swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsuannFY7DQ

I'll try to remember to place a ball next time ...

:lol:

Ducky
17th May 2007, 09:05 AM
Holy reverse C!

:razz:

Jarro
17th May 2007, 09:08 AM
Is that a slight pause i see there ;)

Jono
17th May 2007, 09:21 AM
Holy reverse C!

:razz:

Didn't you know that the reverse C is making a comeback?

8)

Jono
17th May 2007, 09:25 AM
Is that a slight pause i see there ;)

Gotta love the ...

pause.

3oneday
17th May 2007, 09:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Jono01

Only 4 ??? Are you deleting them ? where's the tree chucker one gone ?

Jono
17th May 2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Jono01

Only 4 ??? Are you deleting them ? where's the tree chucker one gone ?

I've moved that one to the "pay per view" section ... :wink:

Tosser ... :roll:

saintsational
18th May 2007, 10:35 PM
nice setup jono,

just took a look at your putting- very handsy. Have you tried more conventional putting ie. flat wrist? (btw im a sh!thouse putter)

Jono
7th December 2007, 07:23 PM
Against my doctor's orders not to do any exercises (besides walking) or any type of straining for 3 months post op, I headed for the range today. My first real range session since the surgery 5 weeks ago ... I still can't swing the driver with any real authority and I can not take divots as it causes too much force and it might disrupt the delicate plumbing inside my nose ... :roll: :lol:

I hit about 50 balls off a low tee using my 6 iron. I tried to make a slow, smooth swing. Those that have played with me know that I tend to go after my shots with a long, loose, quick tempo swing. This, in comparison, felt like a three quarter length swing at half my normal speed. Funny ... I started making pretty good contact and was only about 5 meters shy of my normal distance. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3RRipcSoY

One trick I used to make sure I wasn't straining too much was to breathe during my swing. Big breath in during the backswing and breathe out gradually during the downswing. Seemed to do the trick.

Another 6 weeks and I reckon I can start swinging freely again and playing regular weekend golf. Can't wait. :D

Grunt
7th December 2007, 07:37 PM
You drove all the way out to Camden Lakeside for a hit? You are dedicated Jono I will give you that. I haven't even bothered to unpack my golf bag since the champs yet.

Jono
7th December 2007, 07:45 PM
You drove all the way out to Camden Lakeside for a hit? You are dedicated Jono I will give you that. I haven't even bothered to unpack my golf bag since the champs yet.

Mate, I haven't even swung a club properly for nearly 3 months (other than a bunting session around Carnarvon GC last week). First fractured ribs then surgery. I was hungry to hit some balls. Driving 40 minutes on the M5 wasn't going to stop me. 8)

Now, any contructive criticisms about my swing? Should I pay a visit to the donut factory? ;)

Grunt
7th December 2007, 07:52 PM
Who me? Nah I am not good enough to give any sort of help, you are not doing what I do so that must be a good thing.
After the champs I have all but given the game away. Will keep my AGU but playing golf will be reduced markedly.

markTHEblake
7th December 2007, 08:30 PM
swing looks normal to me.

BrisVegas
7th December 2007, 08:33 PM
that swing looks faster, fuller and more aggressive than mine! And you're deliberately taking it easy? sheesh, I need to try harder.:oops:

Jono
7th December 2007, 10:21 PM
that swing looks faster, fuller and more aggressive than mine! And you're deliberately taking it easy? sheesh, I need to try harder.:oops:

I think I got a bit nervous in front of the camera and got a bit quick. The other 49 shots were slower and smoother ... ;)

The backswing is definitely more compact than before. I used to go past parallel for all my clubs including short irons. :oops:

addamsmith
19th December 2007, 09:59 AM
Hi Jono
You swing look's really good. I hope all is well with the health side, and sometimes when you take a break you loose a few faults in your swing.
Good luck mate
Addam

markTHEblake
19th December 2007, 02:53 PM
and sometimes when you take a break you loose a few faults in your swing.

Jono - are you thinking what I am thinking?

Maybe you could get a research grant - surgical removal of swing faults.

TS
19th December 2007, 03:36 PM
Jono - are you thinking what I am thinking?

Maybe you could get a research grant - surgical removal of swing faults.

Jono's putting had improved ten fold since his surgery. They just forgot to remove the part that causes the snap hook.

Jono
19th December 2007, 11:13 PM
Jono's putting had improved ten fold since his surgery. They just forgot to remove the part that causes the snap hook.

That's what the second operation is for. ;)

Jono
19th December 2007, 11:27 PM
Hi Jono
You swing look's really good. I hope all is well with the health side, and sometimes when you take a break you loose a few faults in your swing.
Good luck mate
Addam

Thanks, Addam. Unfortunately, now that I'm feeling a bit better and stronger, I'm trying to swing too hard again ... Snap hook city last weekend on the golf course ... :cry:

Rusty
20th December 2007, 06:00 AM

here, here. yep Jono, when i first clicked the link and watched, i had to click it again 'cause i thought it must have been old footage. very smooth. keep whatever swing is controlled, rhythmic and stable.

perci
2nd February 2008, 07:24 PM
"watch This Space"

BrisVegas
4th February 2008, 03:38 PM
and sometimes when you take a break you loose a few faults in your swing.
There could be some merit in that. I'm going into semi retirement.

Jono
12th February 2008, 01:37 PM
Guess which driving range. Hint: Grass hitting and 7 iron max.

Here I am hitting a 6 iron (with 7 iron loft). ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAYliay2AOI

Hmmm ... a lot of head and upper body movement. Gotta work on that.

I was just trying to hit down here because I've been hitting my irons thin. The ball position has creeped back a bit as a result.

Any comments? Constructive ones please. 8)

Grunt
12th February 2008, 01:47 PM
RAE Range.

3oneday
12th February 2008, 02:00 PM
Stop trying to hit it so damned hard all the time, you're a weak old man remember :p

Should I look at the video as well ? :lol:

Jono
12th February 2008, 02:01 PM
RAE Range.

Correct. 8)

Come and join RAE, Grant. Great place to hone your swing. ;)

Grunt
12th February 2008, 02:03 PM
No need to join anywhere.

Jono
12th February 2008, 02:08 PM
Stop trying to hit it so damned hard all the time, you're a weak old man remember :p

I don't agree with "just slow it down" philosophy. If your mechanics are bad then slowing it down will just make you short and crooked. :razz:

I want to work on getting good mechanics so I can swing aggressively and still remain in balance and hit it straight.

BTW, that 6 iron landed between the middle upright posts about 170 meters away ... If I could do that all the time, I'd be extrememly happy.

C'mon mate. Don't tell me to slow down. Just tell me how to keep my head steady. :lol:

Jono
12th February 2008, 02:10 PM
No need to join anywhere.

So you gonna keep doing that dodgy country membership thing? :roll:

Grunt
12th February 2008, 02:26 PM
Yes I am.

3oneday
12th February 2008, 02:27 PM
I don't agree with "just slow it down" philosophy.I agree, but trying to hit it hard and swinging quick are two different things :p

I want to work on getting good mechanics so I can swing aggressively and still remain in balance and hit it straight.speaking from experience ;) your body has changed shape but you are still swinging the same, something needs to accomodate.

BTW, that 6 iron landed between the middle upright posts about 170 meters away ... If I could do that all the time, I'd be extrememly happy.wouldn't we all 8)

Don't tell me to slow down. Just tell me how to keep my head steady. :lol:didn't... fish hook, left nut to nose, this works.

Jono
12th February 2008, 02:30 PM
Yes I am.

Dodgy.

Jono
12th February 2008, 02:32 PM
your body has changed shape but you are still swinging the same, something needs to accomodate.

Hmmm ... exactly the same thing that my gf is saying to me these days ...

Grunt
12th February 2008, 02:38 PM
Dodgy.

Oh well, if I cared I guess I would be worried.

Eag's
12th February 2008, 02:49 PM
Guess which driving range. Hint: Grass hitting and 7 iron max.

Here I am hitting a 6 iron (with 7 iron loft). ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAYliay2AOI

Hmmm ... a lot of head and upper body movement. Gotta work on that.

I was just trying to hit down here because I've been hitting my irons thin. The ball position has creeped back a bit as a result.

Any comments? Constructive ones please. 8)

Jono did you hook this shot or pull it? I only ask because the club face looks shut half way back and at the top? Your body seems to outrace your arms a bit as well, it is a much faster tempo than you used to have.

Jarro
12th February 2008, 02:51 PM
First time i've ver seen you wearing shorts too jono :shock:

Geez you're a fatty now !!

Jono
13th February 2008, 03:12 PM
First time i've ver seen you wearing shorts too jono :shock:

Geez you're a fatty now !!

I might post up a swing sequence from 2006, before I was diagnosed with the pituitary tumour. Geez ... I looked anorexic then ... :lol:

Jono
13th February 2008, 03:16 PM
Jono did you hook this shot or pull it? I only ask because the club face looks shut half way back and at the top? Your body seems to outrace your arms a bit as well, it is a much faster tempo than you used to have.

Mate, you are spot on. That shot actually went between the two middle upright posts 170 meters away. I was hitting it pretty crisp that day.

You are right about the lack of synchronisation between the body and the arms. My body is definitely out racing the arms. I think subconsciously, I've adapted to this by shutting the club face at the top. This prevents me from pushing it out right but then I have to fight against a duck hook. The 7 pull hooks in a row at Magenta comes to mind ... :oops:

Anyway, that's definitely something to work on. Thanks.

Jono
17th March 2008, 12:00 AM
Went to the range today and it was windy. Hitting into the wind, I hit bunt shots. Crisp contact and low boring trajectory. About 10m short of my normal distance with the 6 iron but more accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdfOb24B_k

The impact position looks really good.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3117/thebuntimpactiu6.jpg

I think I might hit the bunt more often. 8)

Jarro
17th March 2008, 04:53 AM
That looks like an Edwin type swing jono ;)

Eag's
17th March 2008, 07:08 AM
And I thought I had a short backswing :shock: do you swing that way with the Driver mate?

goughy
17th March 2008, 07:41 AM
Looks pretty normal for a punch/bunt shot wanting to stay low.

Jono
17th March 2008, 05:28 PM
And I thought I had a short backswing :shock: do you swing that way with the Driver mate?

Normally, I tend to overswing if anything. I was just having some fun hitting into the wind. I was trying to keep the ball real low, hence the short backswing.

virge666
18th March 2008, 09:39 PM
That is one of the best Flip swings I have seen in a long time..

You are simply timing the flip nicely. You are actually VERY late on the ball. if you did not flip - you would be hitting large blocks.

You have what we call a false turn. You are actually hitting the ball with your hips.

Forget that I am a GE player and watch how you move off the ball. You slide back and hang behind the ball, then never get back.

I would get a little bit of Moe Norman happening where you actually preset the turn to give your arms some serious power.

Posture & Compression Drills = Arm speed. think Allenby and Ogilvy.

markTHEblake
18th March 2008, 10:03 PM

Thats sealed it, I aint ever posting my swing video now :oops:
(but I'll take the tips onboard)

Jono
19th March 2008, 12:53 AM
Virge,

Thanks for your comments as I value constructive criticism, but most of what you said just flew over my head. :oops:

First of all, I think I should point out that this is not my normal full swing. It's an abbreviated bunt into the wind. I'll put up a clip of my full swing soon and hopefully you can comment on that.

Not sure what you mean by that. As in flipping the wrists? Normally I do flip and hit high draws. I was making a conscious effort NOT to release the club with these bunt shots.

You have what we call a false turn. You are actually hitting the ball with your hips.

Lost me again. What's a false turn and is there such thing as a true turn?

Forget that I am a GE player and watch how you move off the ball. You slide back and hang behind the ball, then never get back.

I do have the tendency to move my head off the ball, but with these bunt swings, the head seems pretty quiet, no? Not sure what you mean by moving off the ball.

I would get a little bit of Moe Norman happening where you actually preset the turn to give your arms some serious power.

Ahh, now we're talking ... I am a big fan of Moe Norman. Man, what I'd give for half his ball striking abilities ... :lol:

virge666
19th March 2008, 08:42 AM
Thats sealed it, I aint ever posting my swing video now :oops:
(but I'll take the tips onboard)

Sorry mate - didn't mean to scare you... read below and see if I make more sense...

:smt023

virge666
19th March 2008, 09:04 AM
OK,

my bad - thought you were on the same page. Let's do it a bit differently.

Forget the shot - forget the head - forget the movement off the ball. They are all symptoms - lets find out the cause.

Stand up right now and shut your eyes. I want you to rehearse your golf swing taking note of what your hands do and what your hips do.

Take note of when your hands rotate over and when arms straighten.

Take note of what your shoulders are doing.

got it ? This is rhythm or this is the sequence of your golf swing.

The sequence is bloody important - because that is the important bit, you can't just have things happening in whatever order - there has to be an order to things otherwise we lose a tonne of power.

2nd question - I want you in a setup position with good posture bending at your hips with your head and back pretty straight - not bolted - but strong and athletic. Make sure your hands are in front of the ball at setup.

Now do your rehearsal again - and when you get to impact - see if you are back to anything like your setup position with your hands in front of the ball. ALso check to see if you are still in the same athletic posture you started with...

I am guessing you won't be . . you will be way behind it, your posture will be now close to vertical with your shoudlers hunched and a feeling of being cramped.

All this is caused by how you turn back... the problem is you simply are pivoting using your knees and hips instead of letting your arms pull your body around. The first one feels powerful, the second one IS powerful.

TGM call this extensior action - you can google that for a better description. GE do a wall drill in which you place your left hip against a chair or door frame at setup and leave it up against the wall for the backswing. (oen of my favourites !)

So there is your starting point. Learn to take the arms away from the body, while keeping the chest... not straight on . . . but not so your bum is facing the target.

Hope that helps - if you give me an AVI of your full swing. I can show you in a video like I use to do before ISeek turned into a blog page for biomechanics.

Enjoy

Jono
19th March 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks Virge. I understood some of that. 8)

I'll record my swing this weekend and will send it to you in AVI format. MPEG no good?

I'd love to hear your analysis/criticism. Hmmm ... let me put some thick skin on. :lol:

virge666
19th March 2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks Virge. I understood some of that. 8)

I'd love to hear your analysis/criticism. Hmmm ... let me put some thick skin on. :lol:

ANy video format is good as long as I can download it. Front and rear woudl be nice.

Please do not take any comments as personal - too many years in the defense forces.. the aim is to simply understand your own swing, as you understand it... you know weaknesses and strengths... then you can play to your strengths...

Are you coming on Thursday night - I could do a video then if you like.

markTHEblake
19th March 2008, 10:25 PM
V. i missed most of that, i need little pictures.

are you proposing seperating the arms from the chest, or keeping them there, ie arms centred to the chestt?

its my understanding that throughout the back swing, the arms should remain directly in front of the chest., which seems pretty hard to do when restricting the hip turn like in the GE swing.

Jono
19th March 2008, 10:25 PM
Are you coming on Thursday night - I could do a video then if you like.

I won't be able to make it this Thursday but I'm keen to meet up with you for a range session some time.

I'll get the video done this weekend and email it to you. Can you pm me your email address?

Jono
23rd March 2008, 05:48 PM
Down the line view of my swing. No comments on the socks please. Purely functional in preventing sun burn. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND8xuyZKDnY

Slowed things down a bit so I can concentrate on hitting the right positions and getting more on plane. Also working on a better impact position so I can hit down on the ball and keep the trajector fairly low.

3oneday
23rd March 2008, 06:43 PM
What did you shoot ?

Jono
23rd March 2008, 06:54 PM
What did you shoot ?

Nothing. It's a range session. :roll:

It's not from yesterday's game with Rick and Pinglauncher if that's what you are thinking.

TS
23rd March 2008, 07:01 PM
What did you shoot ?

Lots I heard.

Eag's
23rd March 2008, 07:03 PM
Jono, you really do whip the club way on the inside on the takeaway??
It all looks good at the top though and your impact position looks great :smt023
Did you pull that shot or was it a nice draw?

Jono
23rd March 2008, 07:04 PM
Tossers ...

:roll:

Jono
23rd March 2008, 07:08 PM
Jono, you really do whip the club way on the inside on the takeaway??
It all looks good at the top though and your impact position looks great :smt023
Did you pull that shot or was it a nice draw?

Mate, that went pretty straight, about 5m right of the big tree trunk. The perspective makes it look more like a pull plus the fact my feet are a bit closed. If you follow the line of the divots you can see the target line better.

Yeah, I do tend to start the turn early and as a result the hands and the club come inside early. As long as I hit he top position OK, I'm not too worried.

I've sent the clip to Virge so we'll see what he says.

Mate, how's it going with your swing? 8)

Eag's
23rd March 2008, 07:13 PM
Fair enough mate, yours is still one of the better swings on here 8-)
To be honest I haven't been doing bugger all with my swing lately but I will be soon ;) I have just been concentrating on the short game.

3oneday
23rd March 2008, 08:29 PM
Nothing. It's a range session. :roll:you shoulda stayed there then.

;)

TS
23rd March 2008, 08:31 PM
you shoulda stayed there then.

;)

Jono would be a scratch marker if he only play range golf.

mikezone13
23rd March 2008, 08:45 PM
Jono would be a scratch marker if he only play range golf.

Scratching himself while deciding which "training aid" to use next ;)

Rusty
24th March 2008, 07:05 AM
geez, tough crowd.

Jono
24th March 2008, 07:15 AM
geez, tough crowd.

A lot of tossers down here ... :roll:

And Mr 3oneday must be coming down with Alzheimers because it wasn't long ago when he was in a slump. :?

3oneday
24th March 2008, 08:57 AM
And Mr 3oneday must be coming down with Alzheimers because it wasn't long ago when he was in a slump. :?and received the same amount of good natured jibes ;)

Dump the 32's !!

virge666
24th March 2008, 09:47 AM
[quote=markTHEblake;215933]V.

are you proposing seperating the arms from the chest, or keeping them there, ie arms centred to the chestt?

quote]

Let me get a video and I will answer all of that.

simple answer - Don't restrict the hip turn.

:)

Jono
24th March 2008, 11:07 AM
and received the same amount of good natured jibes ;)

Dump the 32's !!

Mate, when you had the case of the chilly dips with the wedges, you had steam coming out of every orifice in your body. I feared getting within 10m radius ... I might have ended up with 3rd degree burns. ;) The jibes you got were mild at best.

BTW, it wasn't the 32's that I was playing with. I gave Golfsmith it's maiden run ... and perhaps it's last. :?

3oneday
24th March 2008, 11:26 AM
Did you hit the 1 iron ?

Jono
24th March 2008, 11:41 AM
Did you hit the 1 iron ?

Yep. On the 10th. About 130m, 50m right. 8-)

3oneday
24th March 2008, 03:16 PM
:lol: should have had a vid of that swing ! :)

Jono
24th March 2008, 08:52 PM
:lol: should have had a vid of that swing ! :)

Nothing wrong with the swing. It's the club. Everyone knows that not even God can hit a 1 iron. :razz:

virge666
24th March 2008, 10:39 PM
You have a 1 iron - What the hell for, killing snakes ? :)

Can't upload a 3.5MB file to OzNet - anyone got a suggestion ?

TS
24th March 2008, 10:48 PM
You have a 1 iron - What the hell for, killing snakes ? :)

Can't upload a 3.5MB file to OzNet - anyone got a suggestion ?

Hi Virge

Go to www.freedrive.com and create yourself an account there and upload the file to there.

TS

Jono
24th March 2008, 10:59 PM
Hey Virge,

I got your analysis via email. Thanks!

I don't quite agree with the reverse pivot but the inside move/across line at the top has to go. I'll work on that.

I've uploaded it onto Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mitmub4JqqI

ddasey
24th March 2008, 11:24 PM
Great viewing :)

Rusty
25th March 2008, 11:24 AM
that's excellent Virge :smt038

3oneday
25th March 2008, 12:07 PM
I think the reverse angle is too restrictive to comment on, a bit like those swing vision things, it gives a distorted view.

I can't see a reverse pivot on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAYliay2AOI

By the way, pick away fellas, be the easiest dozen pills I'll ever get 8)

virge666
25th March 2008, 05:55 PM
I think the reverse angle is too restrictive to comment on, a bit like those swing vision things, it gives a distorted view.

I can't see a reverse pivot on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAYliay2AOI

Totally different swing - check ou the position of the hands at the top of the backswing

He is still miles crossed up and over swinging at the top, but the pivot can sort of handle it here.

This is a better swing... but the same problem is there. If we fix the head by changing the direction of the backswing. You will get the club on plane and much better compression at the bottom.

It ain't a bad swing - but there is too much body and not enough SPEED. A good swing to compare would be KJ Choi, same sort of body motion - but KJ's angles are more economical.

Enjoy

3oneday
25th March 2008, 06:55 PM
there is too much body

Enjoy
he does ;)

Jono
25th March 2008, 07:05 PM
Virge,

The swing 3oneday pointed to was 3 months ago. My swing now feels totally different. That is why I didn't give you that swing to analyse.

I'm hitting the ball a lot lower than before. A bit of loss in distance, especially with the longer clubs, but I feel I am getting better compression.

I'll do another swing video coming weekend working on some of the things you mentioned and do both front and down the line views. Would you mind doing another analysis?

I'll tell you who's swing I want to copy. Ian Woosnam. In his prime, in the late 80's. I'm sort of built like him, especially with the late weight gain, but I probably don't have his hand speed. His swing back then was a joy to watch.

Another swing I like watching is Moe Norman's. I think that's where I got the inside takeaway and sort of "over the top" move on the way down. Sam Snead is another with this sort of move. Bobby Jones also. Downswing hand path is outside the backswing hand path, but still coming from the inside relative to the target line.

Trung
25th March 2008, 07:17 PM
Jono wearing shorts.. Gotta be the first.. haha

Jono
25th March 2008, 07:24 PM
Jono wearing shorts.. Gotta be the first.. haha

Ha ha. With my recent weight gain, I can't fit into any of my old golf pants. I got the shorts on sale at Lowes. :roll:

Mate, your avatar. Is that in your dream? ;) :lol:

Trung
25th March 2008, 07:33 PM
Mate, your avatar. Is that in your dream? ;) :lol:

The Dream is REAL buddy ;)

===> http://www.pokerdome.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=355&Itemid=52

;):smt023

Jono
25th March 2008, 07:50 PM
Hoa ... $7000? Congrats! 8)

virge666
25th March 2008, 09:10 PM
Another swing I like watching is Moe Norman's. I think that's where I got the inside takeaway and sort of "over the top" move on the way down. Sam Snead is another with this sort of move. Bobby Jones also. Downswing hand path is outside the backswing hand path, but still coming from the inside relative to the target line.

Your old is a lot better... sorry.

I find it interesting you pick right sided swingers as your models. Darren Clarke, Peter Lonard, Moe, Woosie are all people that move their right side around their left as opposed to the classic left side pulls the right side though.

Either way you have to fix the direction of the turn and your posture. If you are around on Thursday - it will be a lot easier in person.

Otherwise just grab a mirror and keep rehearsing. Let your arms pull your body around, don't let your body pull your arms...

Enjoy

Jono
25th March 2008, 09:14 PM
Virge,

I can't make it this Thursday but the following Thursday is a definite possibility. Although I don't know if I want to overload my brain the night before the big Barnbougle trip. :lol:

Jarro
27th March 2008, 06:55 AM
Nice wrapup Virge.

Is that what i can expect from an Edwin lesson ?

3oneday
27th March 2008, 08:30 AM
You should stay away from mirrors I think :p

Jarro
27th March 2008, 08:46 AM
Speaking from experience are we ?

;)

virge666
27th March 2008, 08:42 PM
Nice wrapup Virge.

Is that what i can expect from an Edwin lesson ?

Mate,

She depends on how you swing it. That was not an Edwin lesson, With Edwin, You sort of sling your arms through with your left shoulder, with the correct posture. Bit hard to show in a forum... sorry.

If you went - it would be a lot of Posture and turn work first though.

jimandr
12th April 2008, 04:58 PM
I had a lesson last weekend.

The reason why I am posting it here is that the pro guy told me almost exactly the same things that Virge told Jono.

I have always had most of my weight on my front leg, partly as a deliberate method of avoiding a reverse pivot, and partly because it was simply what worked best. I was told that in fact I was doing the exact opposite of what I should be doing, and losing power as a result of doing it.

So, I'm working on transferring my weight back on the backswing, and not then swaying forward on the start of the downswing.

The posture thoughts he gave me were exactly what Virge told Jono.

I tried it on the practice range and it seemed to be a better way, but it failed on the course today.

Still, the advice makes sense, so I'll be trying to stick with it.

virge666
12th April 2008, 05:10 PM
Let's forget for the moment that we are swinging a golf club.

Let's go back to another sporting activity like throwing a ball, swinging a baseball bat, passing a footy, or even playing squash.

Only spastics and women move their weight over their back foot when doing any of the above sporting moves. You have to leverage the right side AGAINST a solid left side if you want any kind of accuracy or hand speed.

You can do it the other way by moving your weight back and spinning your hips if you like but it is not as efficient nor it is as accurate. Try it now, stand up and simulate a throwing action, you will find you don't move any weight - you just coil around your spine.

Now go back and look at Dazza's swing. He doesn't coil - he sways back and forth relying on pure hand eye co-ordination to make contact. (Not picking on you Dazza, you are not Robinson Crusoe) Then when watching the masters tomorrow - look at the pro golfers... they all coil. Paul Casey shows it brilliantly to the naked eye... and let me tell you - Paul Casey ain't a short hitter and he ain't a tall bloke.

Once you learn to let you arms pull the body around instead of the other way around - you can then hit down on the ball without the big slide back to the ball.

Enjoy

goughy
12th April 2008, 07:25 PM
The best coach I'd had used the example of trying to skim a stone across a pond. That was the feeling he wanted me to get. Of course, playing golf right handed but throwing left handed didn't help me at all ;)

Jono
12th April 2008, 08:34 PM
I still say that I'm not reverse pivotting. :p

Bruce
12th April 2008, 09:18 PM
Only spastics and women move their weight over their back foot when doing any of the above sporting moves. You have to leverage the right side AGAINST a solid left side if you want any kind of accuracy or hand speed.

WTF! I think you'll find anyone that throws a ball for a living (eg. baseballers or cricketers) would disagree with this. If they have the chance they will get their weight behind their back foot as they start their motion and step into the throw.

Toolish
13th April 2008, 06:39 AM
Sure looks to me like baseball pitchers get the weight back to start then transfer through...hence the step off the mound.

AndyP
13th April 2008, 06:50 AM
No, the weight is on the front foot even though it is in the air.

virge666
13th April 2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry guys - I should have added when they are bent over, or technically on "and inclined plane. Like a half back passing from the back of the scrum /ruck, or a cricket throwing side arm. They brace the front foot and leverage the whole right side around and past the left.

Watch a cricketer batting, you will see his front foot stable as his hands and bat go passed. Think Gilly and Hatden practicing to play straight when they come on the pitch at the beginning of an innnings.

Faldo, Leadbetter, Norman, Pelz, Harmon all talk about the golf swing being the same motion as a side arm throw or skimming stones.

Sorry for the confusion. The reason standing up sport don't have the same issues is because the hips are not in the way on the downswing. If you swing baseball bat standing vertically you can spin the hips at any time and not move your levels or change your spine angle... when you are bent over - if you don't get the right sequence, everything gets out of whack especially your shoulders.

You might have heard Ernie Els talk a lot about "getting his hands in front of his body" during the masters interviews. It is really hard to do this when your lower half is spinning or "clearing" to early.

Hope that makes more sense.