PDA

View Full Version : KBS Tour Shafts + a few general shaft related Q's

Russ
10th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Does anybody know if anywhere in Oz stock KBS Tour steel shafts (for Irons)?

Google turned up Golfnational (http://www.golfnational.com.au) & Aussie Custom Golf (http://www.aussiecustomgolf.com.au). Neither have prices listed. I've shot them both an email, but by the looks of it they may only order them as needed rather than actually keeping stock. Has anybody dealt with either of these places?

I can get them direct from the States for around $250(AUS) shipped (3-PW), and although a local supplier would probably be more expensive it'd be quicker & less of a hassle.

-----------------------------

Also, I have a few shaft related questions for those knowledgeable in this area.

Recently realising my swing speed may be too slow for the stiff shafts in my Irons - 80-85mph swing speed (6 iron) & DG S300 shafts - which is why I'm considering a re-shaft to Reg Flex, but I'd like to get some input from a few folks before I make the decision.

Anybody have any thoughts/experiences with different flex shafts with swing speeds in that area?

Brands to look at or avoid.
Which, if any, models play stiffer than labeled, etc.
Anything else you feel is valuable enough for me to consider.

-----------------------------

Just for reference:

Cleveland CG Tour
Tip size: 0.355
Length: +.25
Flex: Reg
Average 6 Iron distance: 150 metres
6 Iron Swing Speed: 80-85pmh
Back-swing: Short and mid tempo. My full back-swing is about a 3/4 for most golfers.

Current ball flight is mid-high in the short irons, but anything from 5 Iron up really flattens out and distance also drop off considerably.

Thanks for your time!

Hux
10th July 2009, 08:57 PM
Thought about just softstepping the S300's...you end up with half way between stiff and reg that way and you just buy one new 2 iron shaft for the 3 iron to make up the diff.
Lots cheaper than new shafts and grips.
I did it with my PX 6.0's which I felt were a tad too much for me and it worked nicely.

Russ
10th July 2009, 09:07 PM
Soft-stepping?

That's just removing each shaft, and putting them in the next club down right? Eg: Take the shaft out of the 4 and put it in the 5 and so on?

That would work, as I have a 2 Iron in my set, but arn't good enough to use it, so I've never even hit it. Would also work as it would give me the extra 1/4" shaft length I'm wanting.

Thanks for the tip Hux.

Has anyone else soft-stepped their iron shafts? Problems, dramas?

Hux
10th July 2009, 09:12 PM
You actually get a 1/2" in shaft length Russ - the other reason I did it. Since you already have the full set this should only cost @ $10 a club if you get them re swing weighted etc as well.

virge666
10th July 2009, 10:05 PM
I can do a set of KBS tous for $250 delivered.

Soft stepping is a good idea to get a bit more height in your irons. Rifle flighted 6.0 shoudln't be an issue for a 150m 6i hitter, normal rifle 6.0 are a bit of a stretch and soft stepping them is a good option.

I would be thinking TX90 in Stiff - R300 or NSPro in Stiff or KBS tours in REG or STIFF

Enjoy

Russ
11th July 2009, 05:38 AM
ooh, sound good.

I'm having a lesson today, so I'll have aquick chat to my Coach and see if he has any thoughts on it.

Once that's down, if I go ahead with it , I'll drop you a PM Virge and try and get something sorted out.

cheers!

TheNuclearOne
11th July 2009, 09:10 AM
Great shafts Russ. The 5.5 are right away a bit friendlier than the DG300s. Bit lighter, bit easier to load etc. Fantastic shafts IMO.

goonie
11th July 2009, 02:23 PM
What are the playing characteristics of these shafts?. eg flight, spin, feel etc. and comparisons to say DG's and PX's? Last time I looked at the KBS website they had no info like this.

rodders
11th July 2009, 02:27 PM
I got the 6.5 tour KBS from the states in my babies.

2-pw was $235 delivered by express UPS and took about 6 days. Then got fitted into irons for about $50.

Russ
11th July 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the thoughts people.

Virge - you mention the TX90 in stiff. What sort of performance difference can be expected between a light/stiff shaft & a standard/stiff, or even a standard/reg shaft? Does a lightweight/stiff play with more flex than a standard/stiff? - I had actually looked at the KBS Tour 90, but wasn't sure on what sort of shaft weight would be beneficial.

Sorry for all the questions. I have very little knowledge when it comes to shafts and how they actually perform. Any info I've gotten is from online forums, and most of that is written by people that are about as knowledgeable as me :)

3oneday
11th July 2009, 07:21 PM
$250 delivered is a good price.

rodders
11th July 2009, 08:47 PM
$250 delivered is a good price.

Yep, I would definitely take that to save the hassle from the states.

virge666
11th July 2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the thoughts people.
Virge - you mention the TX90 in stiff.

TX 90 is one of my favourite shafts over the last few years - especialy with mid markers, these shafts have the wonderfull ability for players to hit the ball higher without ballooning. It is a totally different shaft profile to DG and other lite shafts - much thicker butt section and gradual step pattern.

TX Tours also exist for a slightly lower launch.

I have seen players gain 10m a club with these shafts - they are sensational. They are as soft a NSPRO without the extra spin.

They are also half the price of KBS Tours. :)

Topper4000
13th July 2009, 05:32 PM
[quote=Russ;341688]Does anybody know if anywhere in Oz stock KBS Tour steel shafts (for Irons)?

Google turned up Golfnational (http://www.golfnational.com.au) & Aussie Custom Golf (http://www.aussiecustomgolf.com.au). Neither have prices listed. I've shot them both an email, but by the looks of it they may only order them as needed rather than actually keeping stock. Has anybody dealt with either of these places?
quote]

Golf national does keep them in stock picked some up the other day from them. By the looks of it they are starting to set up a tour van style fitting center in there wharehouse.

henno
14th July 2009, 10:12 AM
House Of Virge stocks them.

virge666
14th July 2009, 10:47 AM
House Of Virge stocks them.

Yeah mate - got KBS Tour and Tour 90's in stock.

There were $250 a set beginning last week... might change a bit with the Aussie $ but not much.

For mine - KBS are brilliant as they allow me to hit shots of different heights without losing too much distance. This is why I love them.

goonie
14th July 2009, 01:47 PM
Virge - Whats the flight, spin and feel like compared to DG S300, PX 5.5 Chrome and Nippon 1050GH?

Russ
14th July 2009, 03:49 PM
Virge - Whats the flight, spin and feel like compared to DG S300, PX 5.5 Chrome and Nippon 1050GH?

Yeah, what he said!

braddles
14th July 2009, 05:10 PM
KBS Tour feel great. I think they are similar to PX in terms of flight (high launch, fairly low spin), however they feel very soft. I play 6.5 (x stiff) and they feel like r300. I find PX to feel stiff and boardy, even the 5.5.

virge666
14th July 2009, 07:27 PM
More spin with a lower launch IMHO. Softer tip as well.

goonie
14th July 2009, 07:31 PM
More spin with a lower launch IMHO. Softer tip as well.

compared to what?

markTHEblake
14th July 2009, 09:30 PM

Gary at Aussie Custom Golf had a truck load of these shafts on his shelf, a couple of weeks ago. Ok, maybe not a truckload, perhaps 40 or so.

And there was about 3 sets completed or being assembled at the time, heaps of the good golfers are getting upgrades to this shaft ATM.

haysey
14th July 2009, 09:40 PM
Gary at Aussie Custom Golf had a truck load of these shafts on his shelf, a couple of weeks ago. Ok, maybe not a truckload, perhaps 40 or so.

And there was about 3 sets completed or being assembled at the time, heaps of the good golfers are getting upgrades to this shaft ATM.

Tommo and I met Gary on the range at Cairns Golf club this arvo...Nice guy, really knows his stuff. I think Tommo has a new best friend:wink:

markTHEblake
14th July 2009, 10:00 PM
is he up there for long driving events?

lucky Tommo doesnt get to see his workshop, so much high tech fitting tools there.

haysey
14th July 2009, 10:04 PM
is he up there for long driving events?

lucky Tommo doesnt get to see his workshop, so much high tech fitting tools there.

Up here on holidays I believe. Hits a mean golf ball but:shock:

I left him and Tommo deep in discussion about things that were waay over my head.

virge666
14th July 2009, 10:33 PM
compared to what?

S300

billybaub
15th July 2009, 12:58 AM
...please delete.

3oneday
15th July 2009, 07:42 AM
...please delete.just go with something off topic, it will blend in nicely ;)

Tomson
15th July 2009, 08:57 AM
Up here on holidays I believe. Hits a mean golf ball but:shock:

I left him and Tommo deep in discussion about things that were waay over my head.

Sorry haysey, I think I have found my new best friend.

Jarro
15th July 2009, 09:09 AM
just go with something off topic, it will blend in nicely ;)

How is adlo going anyway ?

Anybody heard ? JC ???

just
15th July 2009, 09:17 AM
Maybe the wife banned him from the computer.

grandmasterb
15th July 2009, 10:08 AM
I can do a set of KBS tous for $250 delivered.

Soft stepping is a good idea to get a bit more height in your irons. Rifle flighted 6.0 shoudln't be an issue for a 150m 6i hitter, normal rifle 6.0 are a bit of a stretch and soft stepping them is a good option.

I would be thinking TX90 in Stiff - R300 or NSPro in Stiff or KBS tours in REG or STIFF

Enjoy

HMMMMMMMMMM buy new irons or put a set of these in my Srixons :-k

billybaub
15th July 2009, 11:01 AM
just go with something off topic, it will blend in nicely ;)

Sorry. Late night up programming. Had the forum open on one screen and somehow managed to post without realizing.

I thought my post added a great deal of knowledge to the thread though...

adlo
19th July 2009, 11:51 AM
How is adlo going anyway ?

Anybody heard ? JC ???
Thanks for asking Jarro :)

My threadjacking days are over.

Yossarian
19th July 2009, 05:23 PM
How has your weekend been adlo? ;)

Gomez38
21st July 2009, 10:35 AM
dynamic gold SL (supa lites) great shaft. just as stiff as the dy golds but lighter so you can control the club a little better. dy golds are about 130grams or so,SL are under 100.