PDA

View Full Version : Bent a 20* to 18*, and consequence?

andylo
16th January 2005, 03:17 PM
Most of you know I am a Sonartec HO.

I got a 20* 5 wood nudgee about 6 months ago and I absolutely love it.... it fly so high, distance was long landed so soft.... it's my goto club at all those par 5.....

Until I tragically found out after I ditch the resuce woods.... I hit my 3 irons a little farther... about 5 - 8 meters with rolls (but doesn't roll that much really... it still stop pretty quick on LGC's green if I use a U-trl tour) and left a hugh gap between the 14 degree.... which is about 20 meters.

I would like the bent the head to 18*.... but while the face is already sit square, does it mean I will have a very open face head. I really want the head still sits square.

Of course I already know only REAL experties can do head benting and the consequence is the hosel of the head will be crack.

And any recommendation to the fitter who can do the job... I thought even Ben can't do it but I can't ask him because its Sunday.

Many Thanks.

Andy

terryand
16th January 2005, 03:24 PM
Chris McCourt at Keperra :wink:

Terry.

markTHEblake
16th January 2005, 03:52 PM
Ask Todd Hamilton, the story goes he bent his club by 2 or 3 degrees.

IMHO changing the loft means you also change the bounce, in other words the playability of the club. Consider the resale value cos you just screwed that up.

Jarro
16th January 2005, 04:57 PM
Chris McCourt at Keperra :wink:

Terry.

what he said :wink:

3oneday
16th January 2005, 05:08 PM
IMHO changing the loft means you also change the bounce, in other words the playability of the club. Consider the resale value cos you just screwed that up.no opinion, that is fact, but I think low lofted irons have 1 degree or even zero bounce ?? but I don't think it matters that much with a wide soled club such as a wood... it is a wood we are talking of ??? :lol:

goughy
16th January 2005, 05:35 PM
Just get your hands on a 17* 4 wood and don't use the 5 wood. Do you really want to screw the club up for good. I don't think so.

And how long have you got till you can ho more clubs anyway? Isn't it when you get to 18hc. You'll never get to an 18 handicap if you don't play some comps. I've only played one 18 hole comp round in the last 3 months because I've either been at work 7 days a week or doing reno work on my house. What's your reason? :-({|=

You've seriously got to get out and play some real golf andylo. Americans may get away with saying they are about an 18 (for example) handicap when they never actually have a handicap; they just base it on what they 'think' they can play to. That won't cut it with us. [-X

And if you go ho'ing before time then you know us ozgolfers will make your life a living hell for it :twisted:

Back on topic - is there anyone who you think could bend that club without causeing any damage to it. Personally I couldn't think of a single person I would trust with such a club. But then again I'm no ho and like my clubs to last.

Fishman Dan
16th January 2005, 05:41 PM
I'd like to know the difference 2* makes? :smt017

I think if no one can genuinely estimate the difference (must be all of 5 metres swinging at 110+ mph), then Andy should get it done. :smt102

Jarro
16th January 2005, 05:59 PM

:lol: :lol: .... oh sorry, thought Fishy said " I'd like to know the difference 2" makes" :roll: :lol: :lol:

seriously ..

.. ever hit a 15* 3 wood Fishy :?: after you have, try a 13* out for size ....... BIG difference.

davidp
16th January 2005, 06:54 PM

I think if no one can genuinely estimate the difference (must be all of 5 metres swinging at 110+ mph), then Andy should get it done. :smt102

It's generally accepted that for every degree of "deloft" means about 3 metres in distance gained. That's in irons, though.

Seriously, Andy, think about what you're going to be doing with the club for the long-term. After all, Sonartec have a new line coming out this year!! :wink:

If you want to go ahead with it, Garry Calder at GCI is a good southside alternative.

Jono
16th January 2005, 07:44 PM
Andy,

It IS possible to bend the hosel of metal woods, but I would strongly advise against it. More importantly, your Sonartec is begging you not to do it ... :lol:

TS
16th January 2005, 07:57 PM

:lol: :lol: .... oh sorry, thought Fishy said " I'd like to know the difference 2" makes" :roll: :lol: :lol:

seriously ..

.. ever hit a 15* 3 wood Fishy :?: after you have, try a 13* out for size ....... BIG difference.

Each degree is good for about 3m, irons are spaced between 3 to 4 degrees apart and there are about 10m between clubs.

AndyLo, I wouldn't worry about the 20m gap between the 3 & 5 wood. Unless you are a very good player, I don't think you can hit the 3 & 5 wood to the same distance each time. I know my 3 wood will go between 200 and 220m and my 5 wood will be somewhere between 190 to 205m.

Going for Par 5 in 2 when you are trying to break 100 will most likely get you into more trouble and higher scores.

Fishman Dan
16th January 2005, 08:04 PM

What's mine - 14*? Can't remember - better check my WITB thread. Regardless - i've hit my 3w well, and i've hit it poorly. I've hit it into a headwind, and i've hit it with a tailwind. Point is that I can't really claim to have hit it exactly the same twice in a row (or to it's full potential either), and all other varying factors means that the +/- 10 metres at stake with the varying lofts isn't worth losing sleep over.

To further answer your question J-Ro - I don't have a 13*, and as much as i'd like to try one (preferably a V-Steel ;)), i'm not about to go and pick one up ;).

Just hit a 20*, or buy a new club like the 4w mentioned or a low-lofted hybrid.

Trung
16th January 2005, 09:20 PM
AndyLo, I wouldn't worry about the 20m gap between the 3 & 5 wood. Unless you are a very good player, I don't think you can hit the 3 & 5 wood to the same distance each time. I know my 3 wood will go between 200 and 220m and my 5 wood will be somewhere between 190 to 205m.

Going for Par 5 in 2 when you are trying to break 100 will most likely get you into more trouble and higher scores.

Andylo, a few good tips there for ya. Just leave the wood as it is. Learn to play different shots with other clubs. You don't need to bash everything. Course management is very important :D

eg. I have been using a 4-iron from 150m out in the last 2 weeks (at about 75% of full power for maximum control). Usually it is a full 6-iron in for me.

My new distances are..

PW-90m (old 105m)
9-105m (old 115m)
8-115m (old 130m)
7-125m (old 140m)
6-135m (old 150m)
5-145m (old 160m)
4-155m (old 170m)
3-165m (old 180m)
RM3-180m
3W-200m
D-(anywhere from 200m-250m)

As you can see, I'm using more club into greens but I find that I have more birdie putts from inside 4m or less.

TS
16th January 2005, 09:46 PM
Trung

Are you getting ready for the senior tour? The distance you listed are for old farts that plays off 27 handicap.

andylo
16th January 2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

I think just leaving it alone is a way smarter choice. Thanks you :)

By the way... any info about Sonartec's new line Jono? ;)

Trung
17th January 2005, 06:17 AM
Trung

Are you getting ready for the senior tour? The distance you listed are for old farts that plays off 27 handicap.

:smt036 8)

wavemaker
17th January 2005, 08:44 AM
Trung

Ah! the arrogance of youth. Your time will come.

prmeier
17th January 2005, 08:50 AM
Have you tried changing the shaft. Perhaps a lower launching shaft will give you what you are looking for distance wise. I'm sure Ben could help you out with any shaft comparisons.

andylo
17th January 2005, 09:04 AM
Hmmm.... that's a pretty good idea.

But I am currently using the same steel shaft in both my 3 and 5 wood... which is from Steel Technology and I don't plan to put any graphite shaft in those head.

But the thing is to keep the same feeling from the fairway woods I need to change both shafts. Say a Rifle..... but I believe it will make my 3 wood too difficult to be use by me.

markTHEblake
17th January 2005, 11:06 AM
PW-90m (old 105m)
9-105m (old 115m)
8-115m (old 130m)
7-125m (old 140m)
6-135m (old 150m)
5-145m (old 160m)
4-155m (old 170m)
3-165m (old 180m)

thats interesting because those old distances are the same as mine.

whilst i can hit 6 iron up, any shorter distance that i want, for the life of my no way can i hit a 5 iron 150 or less. tried it many times, and doesnt work even into a breeze. I guess the club is just too long - for me.

macleod
17th January 2005, 11:27 AM
My new distances are..

PW-90m (old 105m)
9-105m (old 115m)
8-115m (old 130m)
7-125m (old 140m)
6-135m (old 150m)
5-145m (old 160m)
4-155m (old 170m)
3-165m (old 180m)
RM3-180m
3W-200m

trung, these are pretty much my new distances too since i've given up trying to practise and remedy my very shortened swing now. my problems with irons has reached an alltime high (for a low that is) so....

more club, my now depressingly short backswing, less effort and pretty much these distances.....what an interesting coincidence...

i just started using 2 more clubs for my old distances and tried to stress less about my swing, working more often now with less strain on my wobbly back now. kind of trying a new bump and run approach to everything since trying to hit my old full shots now increases the chance of major mishits...

McMw
17th January 2005, 11:31 AM
trung...

IMO, those new distances is gonna make it difficult for you soon...
you're not old, not overweight, seem to be in good nick...what gives??? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Fishman Dan
17th January 2005, 11:32 AM
Trung - your distances give me some hope. Once upon a time (12-18 months ago?) 150 was 7-iron for me, +/- breeze. Add/Subtract 10-15 metres per club on the scale.

Last week in Ballina i was flat-out hitting 7-iron 125-130? I was beside myself, perhaps one of these pre-loved waterlogged balls? Damp day, high-humidity/thicker air affecting it?

Yesterday with the new Ping's i hit Wedge about 100, 8-iron max was about 125 - 7-iron on the Par 3 7th at Windsor was about 130-135, pin-high.

For about 6 months i was in denial about hitting clubs shorter and having to readjust my game?

Trung
17th January 2005, 12:55 PM
trung...

IMO, those new distances is gonna make it difficult for you soon...
you're not old, not overweight, seem to be in good nick...what gives??? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Mau, I'm using about 75% of power with greater control, less effort.

1. Thanks mate, I'm in very good nick indeed :D

2. More birdie putts from inside 4m

Trung
17th January 2005, 12:59 PM
Trung

Ah! the arrogance of youth. Your time will come.

Wavemaker, TS is a good old fella. I have met him before and its just a joke.

He wouldn't dare calling me names. If he does, I will just have to drive closer to him next time. Maybe give him a little nudge on the way down Mona Vale Road :twisted:

TS
17th January 2005, 02:14 PM
Wavemaker, TS is a good old fella. I have met him before and its just a joke.

He wouldn't dare calling me names. If he does, I will just have to drive closer to him next time. Maybe give him a little nudge on the way down Mona Vale Road :twisted:

It is hard for an old fella like myself driving a Toyota to keep up the young guns in sport car.

One thing that Andylo should learn from Trung is his putting. Trung's putting is good enough for a scratch marker.

Trung
17th January 2005, 02:20 PM
hang on hang on TS, before Amana gets to this thread before I did.

I missed a putt from 30cm at Bayview. She will never forgive me for that :oops:

Jono
18th January 2005, 11:57 PM
Trung - your distances give me some hope. Once upon a time (12-18 months ago?) 150 was 7-iron for me, +/- breeze. Add/Subtract 10-15 metres per club on the scale.

Last week in Ballina i was flat-out hitting 7-iron 125-130? I was beside myself, perhaps one of these pre-loved waterlogged balls? Damp day, high-humidity/thicker air affecting it?

Yesterday with the new Ping's i hit Wedge about 100, 8-iron max was about 125 - 7-iron on the Par 3 7th at Windsor was about 130-135, pin-high.

For about 6 months i was in denial about hitting clubs shorter and having to readjust my game?

Fishy,

The reason you hit your irons girly distances :wink: is because of your highish trajectory. You've got plenty of clubhead speed to hit your 7 iron 140-150 meters. Work on your trajectory. Bring it down and you'll hit further. Don't ask me how to do that though ... :roll: :lol:

Jono
19th January 2005, 12:03 AM
My new distances are..

PW-90m (old 105m)
9-105m (old 115m)
8-115m (old 130m)
7-125m (old 140m)
6-135m (old 150m)
5-145m (old 160m)
4-155m (old 170m)
3-165m (old 180m)
RM3-180m
3W-200m

Right, Trung. Next time you come to Bayview, I'll get you special permission to tee off the ladies tees ... :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, are you doing this in the long run? Say you are playing a 400m par 4. Are you going to baby a drive 210m and then hit your 3W into the green? Your old distances will have you hitting 6 iron into the green. Surely you'll be more precise hitting a hard 6 iron as opposed to a soft 3W?

My current distances are similar to your old distances and we play off a similar handicap. I'm looking to cut my handicap by increasing my swing speed and hitting shorter irons into the green. You seem to have taken an opposite route. It will be interesting to compare notes in a few months ... :lol:

TS
19th January 2005, 08:30 AM
Jono & Trung

Although you 2 plays off similar handicap, but you 2 play the game differently. Jono is longer off the tee and with his irons as well. this is before Trung starts to hit his girly distance. However, Trung is a better putter. You 2 will make a good ambrose combination.

Trung
19th January 2005, 01:25 PM
Right, Trung. Next time you come to Bayview, I'll get you special permission to tee off the ladies tees ... :wink: :lol:

Bayview is so short, the ladies tees are also in the same position as the men tees :twisted:

Seriously though, are you doing this in the long run? Say you are playing a 400m par 4. Are you going to baby a drive 210m and then hit your 3W into the green? Your old distances will have you hitting 6 iron into the green. Surely you'll be more precise hitting a hard 6 iron as opposed to a soft 3W?

There are 3x Par 4s at Carnie over 400m. I have no problem reaching them with a 6-iron :wink:

I can unleash the R7 beast if need be. You know I can 8)

Although you 2 plays off similar handicap, but you 2 play the game differently. Jono is longer off the tee and with his irons as well. this is before Trung starts to hit his girly distance. However, Trung is a better putter. You 2 will make a good ambrose combination.

No offend Jono, I prefer a chic as my ambrose partner.

You could try with a skirt and some makeup on. :smt047