PDA

View Full Version : a question for all

zigwah
9th July 2009, 10:49 PM
where is your chest facing at the top of your backswing?

oldmannoodles
9th July 2009, 11:22 PM
For me, probably about 80 degrees from square. I'd guess ideal would be between 60 and 80. I get away with it because I'm relatively thin and flexible (cue obvious jokes).

zigwah
9th July 2009, 11:33 PM
The reason i ask is. That i found turing my shoulders and trying to get the club pointing towards the target at waist height, that when i set my wrists after that my back was directly at the target, i could go further but then the club would be way across the line at the top.

Scottt
9th July 2009, 11:34 PM
Directly away from the target, with the hips at about a 45 degree rotation from address.

oldmannoodles
9th July 2009, 11:42 PM
Zig, sounds like you're taking it away with your shoulders and not your forearms and hands. Loosen it up a bit mate. Arms rotate most, shoulders slightly less, then (as Scottt mentioned) hips less than shoulders.

zigwah
9th July 2009, 11:47 PM
I thought i had to go for a one piece takeaway and then set the wrists and keep turning and set right elbow at 90 degrees.

Finding it really difficult to fire the hips, i find when i do i am hitting it very fat.

what happens whe i forget the hips completely on the backswing and then fire the hips?

I have been trying to fire the before the backswing is finished ala Mr Hogan.

oldmannoodles
9th July 2009, 11:57 PM
A one piece take-away doesn't mean all components move the same speed or distance. Think of the spokes of a wheel or the hands of a clock - the outside of the spokes/hand move far more than those closer to the centre (in this case, your chest).

Regardless, you shouldn't think too much about the backswing. Can't remember who said it, but a great tip is that there is no back'swing', it is just placing the club in the correct position at the top for the through swing. It shouldn't really matter how you get there as long as things are looking ok when you arrive.

virge666
10th July 2009, 09:24 AM
Backswing = back to target
Followthough = right shoulder to target

Easy