PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Els wants belly putters banned

Courty
21st May 2004, 08:34 AM
SOUTH AFRICA's Ernie Els stoked the fires of controversy today by calling for a ban on what have become known as belly putters.

The extended club which is anchored to the player's midriff to steady hands and nerves has become an ever-more common feature in tournament golf with its best-known aficionado being world No.2 Vijay Singh.

But Els, rarely one to rock the boat, said it was an equipment change that was taking the skill and challenge out of the sport.

"I think they should be banned," said Els after carding an opening five-under 67 in the Deutsche Bank-SAP Open.

"I think nerves and the skill of putting is part of the game and they get drops in those long putters. I think nerves are part of the game. You know, take a tablet if you can't handle it.

"I think it's becoming such an easy, easier way to putt. You actually push it into the body and then you can make a kind of perfect stroke. You're going to almost come back on the same angle every time. That's why I say they should ban it."

McMw
21st May 2004, 09:15 AM
maybe they should consider banning them for tour play...and leave it as is for the amateurs (hackers)... :?

everytime I get to watch the golf on telly, a new name pops up with a belly, and last night was no different...
Trevor Immelman was using a belly 2ball last night, and I'm pretty sure he's either leading the Deutche, or close to...

markTHEblake
21st May 2004, 09:28 AM
I have tried a belly putty and i reckon its harder - they can have them.

Iain
21st May 2004, 11:11 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Ban 'em....

jaster
21st May 2004, 12:13 PM
BAN THEM!!!!! :shock: I think that there should be no anchor points!! :cry:

markTHEblake
21st May 2004, 05:36 PM
NOW i know why i cant use a belly putter - I dont have an anchor point!

Golfgirl
21st May 2004, 05:43 PM
The pro who put Matt through his traineeship uses a broomstick putter, and one day after a bad round with many three putts, I told him that maybe I should think about using one too.... well, he cracked up with laughter and told me that broomies were only for broken down old pros like himself, and that I should perservere and learn to use a regular putter. While I am neither personally for them or against, as Matt's boss pointed out to me - the best golfers ever (past and present) use regular putters.... since then I made a commitment to perservere with my putter.

McMw
21st May 2004, 05:47 PM
I've used a BP before, and had some good and bad putting rounds with them...

just becoz u have an anchor point, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll putt any better....trust me....a missed 2 footer with the bp is the same as a miss with the conventional... :roll:

I will have no problem going back to the BP...it's just tat I'm putting okay with the conventional atm... :D

Jarro
21st May 2004, 05:55 PM
NOW i know why i cant use a belly putter - I dont have an anchor point!

why dont you just use one of your chins :P :lol:

goughy
21st May 2004, 06:16 PM
I once read a dave pelz article where he said if you want to improve your putting, use the long putter. In fact, he said everybody in there right mind should use one if they want to make more putts.

Feels weird to me. My dad always said the broomstick (and now belly) putters should have been banned. He reckons by using the anchoring point, a person is not making a true stroke at the ball. Me, I don't know. I've never really put much thought to it, other than thinking of trying my putter as a belly.

AndyP
21st May 2004, 06:20 PM
I use a belly putter, but that's only because my belly hangs down to the top of my normal size putter. :oops: :wink:

Courty
22nd May 2004, 07:34 AM
I use a belly putter, but that's only because my belly hangs down to the top of my normal size putter. :oops: :wink:

:D :D :D

McMw
22nd May 2004, 09:04 AM
wow...I'm the only one who voted no!!! :lol:

Judge Smails
25th May 2004, 08:33 AM
I'm wit you Blakey...Belly putters, Broomsticks and cross handed are for spazzes !

I use a belly putter with a cross handed grip and I can never see myself not using it.

Maybe once I take your cash G69 you will be even more upset!