PDA

View Full Version : Jono's loopy loop swing

Jono
7th July 2009, 07:49 AM
Here's my latest swing clip couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylm9ptVR_2g

The main faults I see are during the backswing.

1) the upper body (and head) shifting too far away from the target

2) taking the club too far inside and LIFTING the arms to the top position. This also causes the club to point way right of the target at the top. (ie. across the line)

Downswing is basically a compensation of the backswing. Because I shifted away from the target during the backswing, I have to drive my legs to get back to the ball. My arms get jammed and stuck behind me as a result.

Because the club is across the line (ie pointing to the right) at the top, I come too much from the inside and end up flipping the hands through impact. The end result is either a block out right or snap hook.

So ... the things I am working on at the moment is being more stacked at the top ... ie. not shifting my upper body away from the target so much. The other thing I'm working on is taking the club straight back (or even slightly outside) and getting the club to point more at the target at the top.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

3oneday
7th July 2009, 07:49 AM
Flipper

Jarro
7th July 2009, 07:52 AM
Looks good enough for me Jono .... how good a swing do you really want ?!?

I'm sure the more we all look at it the more chance we'll find faults/flaws with the swing, but really .... just get out there and play ;)

razaar
7th July 2009, 08:12 AM
Swing looks good, may just need to be smoothed out a bit and made tighter. Working on a waggle with the hands and wrists only and blending it into the backswing usually helps to smooth out the swing and gets the backswing under control right from the start. Starting the backswing from a standstill position tends to tighten up the shoulders and arms and can become a snatch back with too much effort being put into the backswing to break the inertia of the club resting on the ground; when the backswing is really just drawing the left arm across the chest towards the right shoulder and turning the upper torso to get a full coil without disturbing your posture and hip angle. Should be easy fix for a man of your talents.:)

zacdullard
7th July 2009, 08:17 AM
Nice 8-)

That driver makes an impressive DING!

BBM Rick
7th July 2009, 08:31 AM
Looks good Jono, maybe just quiten down that backswing a touch, its pretty aggressive!! Nice form otherwise though.

Jono
7th July 2009, 08:37 AM
Flipper

Flipping it 30 meters past you ... :razz:

Jono
7th July 2009, 08:38 AM
Swing looks good, may just need to be smoothed out a bit and made tighter. Working on a waggle with the hands and wrists only and blending it into the backswing usually helps to smooth out the swing and gets the backswing under control right from the start. Starting the backswing from a standstill position tends to tighten up the shoulders and arms and can become a snatch back with too much effort being put into the backswing to break the inertia of the club resting on the ground; when the backswing is really just drawing the left arm across the chest towards the right shoulder and turning the upper torso to get a full coil without disturbing your posture and hip angle. Should be easy fix for a man of your talents.:)

Thanks, Raz. Yeah, I was surprised to see how static I am before I take the club back. :oops:

Jono
7th July 2009, 08:41 AM
Looks good Jono, maybe just quiten down that backswing a touch, its pretty aggressive!! Nice form otherwise though.

Thanks mate. Yeah, the backswing is a bit abrupt. It looks like a upper body lunge away from the target. :shock: :oops:

I suspect Raz's comment ties in with this as well. If I waggle a bit more and keep moving during set up, I should be able to initiate the backswing a bit smoother.

Jono
7th July 2009, 08:42 AM
Looks good enough for me Jono .... how good a swing do you really want ?!?

I'm sure the more we all look at it the more chance we'll find faults/flaws with the swing, but really .... just get out there and play ;)

Mate, I'm not trying to nit pick my swing ... I just want to hit it reasonably straight. Some of the hooks I'm hitting at the moment makes 3oneday's shot look like a gentle draw. :roll: :lol:

3oneday
7th July 2009, 08:52 AM
Flipping it 30 meters past you ... :razz:

Some of the hooks I'm hitting at the moment makes 3oneday's shot look like a gentle draw. :roll: :lol:
cool, well you should have a clear shot from over there, so don't worry.

;)

kwantfm
7th July 2009, 10:50 AM
Best I've seen you swing.

virge666
7th July 2009, 11:00 AM
That is because you are unbalanced and so far behind it with both feet off the ground...

:)

http://happybandits.com/virge/Virge/jono070709.wmv

Enjoy

Andrew_S
22nd November 2009, 01:41 PM
Awesome analysis Virge.

dan
22nd November 2009, 02:50 PM
yep. big differences when you see it in slow-mo and broken down like that.

matty
23rd November 2009, 09:48 PM
Much appreciated Virge.

Jono
26th November 2009, 01:37 PM
I do appreciate Virge's comments but I don't think Brian Gay is the best pro I should model my swing after. If I did what Virge wants me to do, I'd lose 30 meters off my driver.

I need to calm the lower body down and keep a better balance.

virge666
4th December 2009, 10:09 AM
I do appreciate Virge's comments but I don't think Brian Gay is the best pro I should model my swing after. If I did what Virge wants me to do, I'd lose 30 meters off my driver.

I need to calm the lower body down and keep a better balance.

You wouldn't lose 30m, but you would lose some distance. The big upshot is that you would be able to find you golf ball !

Your natural arm speed is so good, but what you do with your body whilst being very powerful with your driver - is horrible for distance control and accuracy with the lower clubs. It prevents you from hitting down with any consistancy.

So yeah - you will lose some distance - but you wouldn't come last at the ozGolf champs !

(How did you have 14 points for 18 holes... and win both the long drives ??)