PDA

View Full Version : Lessons

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 09:30 PM
Is it possible to play decent golf without lessons?

Any self taught single figures players here?

Thinking of taking the plunge.

Johnny Canuck
6th July 2009, 09:34 PM
Got to 4, 100% self taught.

I have had two lessons in the last year in a half. One lesson to eliminate a pull hook that was haunting me. The guy got rid of it in 30 seconds. The second lesson was simply showing me why I hit certain shots.

I don't practice or hit the range, so I don't really want anything that I would have to work on.

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 09:37 PM
Freak.

Will you be my Yoda?

Other opinions?

henno
6th July 2009, 09:39 PM
I got to 20. Totally self-taught. I am a golfing god.

Johnny Canuck
6th July 2009, 09:41 PM
Approx, what do you play off Yoss, if you were to have a handicap?

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 09:45 PM
Mid to high 80's. A really bad round will usually be closer to a hundred than ninety though. Have the odd round low eighties. So prolli 20 or so as well.
I have only been playing a year and a bit.

Courty
6th July 2009, 09:50 PM
I achieved an all time low of 5 off my own bat. I've come to know my own swing so well, that I'm actually scared of getting a pro to tinker with it.

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 09:52 PM
So two for no lessons and low markers to boot. Freaks.

Johnny Canuck
6th July 2009, 09:54 PM
The guy I went to works out of a driving range near adventure world. he keeps it very simple and i rate him very highly. if you wanted to test the waters of a lesson, it would only cost you $40.

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 09:55 PM
Sounds promising. Contact details?

Johnny Canuck
6th July 2009, 09:59 PM
I'm PM them as soon as I get off my ass and get my phone..

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 10:01 PM
Cheers JC

Any others here that do take lessons? What do you see as the benefits ect?

zacdullard
6th July 2009, 10:11 PM
I do the high school group clinic.

Cost is $60 per term. I think this is great value for money.

I get a few pointers but the main benifit is the confidence that I get from doing them.

Golfnut
6th July 2009, 10:32 PM
^^^True that....the couple of lessons i've had Yoss, had me come away feeling very confident in my level of ability especially after ironing out some bugs in my swing.......shame that confidence can dissappear so quickly after a couple of bad shots :(

I will say though that i'm hitting it a lot better since the lessons, especially the driver....managed an 89 last week at Whaleback in those trecherous conditions and i'd only ever played 9 holes there once before so the back 9 was all new to me....the swing changes & confidence gained, played a big part in this for me, especially towards the end of the round when the fatigue was setting in (only play 18 about once a month so i'm usually ****ed by the 16th).

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 10:36 PM
It is weird, I am fairly confident over every shot. I am pretty good at getting myself in a good mindset. So it is the lack of understanding about what is causing the bad shot that is killing me atm I think. In time I think I would work it out but maybe a lesson is the go.

Johnny Canuck
6th July 2009, 10:40 PM
That was my only real reason to have the lessons.

I have the ability to hit it correctly, but it was tough figuring out what I needed to do at times.

Yossarian
6th July 2009, 10:43 PM
Do, or do not. There is no try

Golfnut
6th July 2009, 10:43 PM
It is weird, I am fairly confident over every shot. I am pretty good at getting myself in a good mindset. So it is the lack of understanding about what is causing the bad shot that is killing me atm I think. In time I think I would work it out but maybe a lesson is the go.

Exactly where I was at....had a bad case of the fat shots that was killing my game....1 lesson and now I might 1 or 2 fattys per round but now I know its not the end of the world. I used to walk up to every ball wondering if I was going to hit it fat or not.

razaar
7th July 2009, 07:00 AM
The trouble with being self taught is that you may form the wrong concept of what makes the golf swing right for you. There is a big difference in seeing and feeling the various elements of a golf swing, you may think you are doing it correctly but the ball says you are not. The trick is to do it the easiest and simplist way so it can be easily repeated with the results you want; and to do this needs another pair of eyes belonging to somebody who knows what they are on about. The best players in the world know all the ins and outs of a golf swing and they have advisors who can spot things in their swings which they obviously can't feel.
As most of us are not perfect physical specimens we need to spend some time improving our joint flexibility, muscular strength, balance and co-ordination which are all required for an effective and efficient golf swing.
Hey, its all about what you want out of the game. For me it was not to embarrass myself in competition; then it was not to lose money; then it was to compete with the big boys in the club.

zacdullard
7th July 2009, 11:37 AM
As most of us are not perfect physical specimens we need to spend some time improving our joint flexibility, muscular strength, balance and co-ordination which are all required for an effective and efficient golf swing.
Speak for yourself :mrgreen:

How much does being fit and in shape benifit your golf. What does it do to make us play better?

razaar
7th July 2009, 02:10 PM
Speak for yourself :mrgreen:

How much does being fit and in shape benifit your golf. What does it do to make us play better?
I'll let you do the research on that. Start with Tiger and work your way through all the tour players down to our representative amateurs. Post this assignment and I'll grade it.:razz: