PDA

View Full Version : Raven Irons

Bailsworth
6th July 2009, 05:48 PM
Hi All,
Has anyone tried, or does anyone currently own a set of "Raven" forged irons? If so, do you know if there is anywhere in SEQ where one could look at getting a set put together? Thanks.

razaar
6th July 2009, 06:30 PM
Chris McCourt at Helensvale South, ph 551 99277 - best clubfitter in Queensland.

Grunt
6th July 2009, 06:31 PM
I think AP had/has them.

Courty
6th July 2009, 06:36 PM
Talk to AndyP, he may have a set available.

AndyP
6th July 2009, 06:47 PM
Talk to AndyP, he may have a set available.Available? WTF? These things are keepers.

I bought mine secondhand via the forum, so they weren't put together specifically for me.

There was a rep for them in Brisbane, but I can't recall the name. Have you tried emailing Raven via their website? I emailed them a question once and they were helpful.

Bailsworth
6th July 2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I haven't emailed them, i've only really started to look at this option since about last night to be honest while reading a few reviews from the states. But i've gotta say, the concept of getting a set made specifically for me is kind of appealing.

Bailsworth
6th July 2009, 07:01 PM
Most of the posts i was reading from the US were talking about how much more affordable it is to get quality equipment by going down the component road (snake eyes, Tim Wishon etc..) can the same be said in Oz?

AndyP
6th July 2009, 07:04 PM
The head of the club probably doesn't matter too much, it's the shaft that's more important.

razaar
6th July 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I haven't emailed them, i've only really started to look at this option since about last night to be honest while reading a few reviews from the states. But i've gotta say, the concept of getting a set made specifically for me is kind of appealing.
Only way to play the game, makes it much more enjoyable when one knows that his clubs are taylor fit to his swing. The bloody game is difficult enough, can't recommend strongly enough getting a set taylored to your swing. If cost isn't a factor then KZG would be a good choice. Talk to Chris, he's the expert.:)

goonie
6th July 2009, 07:51 PM
The guy at Mister Tees at Capalaba does, or used to, do Raven, I think they even had a second hand set a little while back.
Or try Gary at Golf Club Inovations at Indooroopilly GC.

BrisVegas
6th July 2009, 08:34 PM
The head of the club probably doesn't matter too much, it's the shaft that's more important.

it warms my heart to hear you say that Andy. Seriously. :smt038

razaar
6th July 2009, 08:48 PM
Have to disagree Andy, head design and head weight is important after all it is the head that hits the ball. The design of the head determines where the centre of gravity is and how it is distributed on off centre hits. The shaft is the transmission to match the power source (engine) - your swing.

Bailsworth
6th July 2009, 09:42 PM
Have to say i kind of agree with razaar, put the best shaft in the world, that is perfectly matched to every part of your swing into a clone head, and your result ain't gonna be that great..

henno
6th July 2009, 09:58 PM
I still believe it would go better than a great head, with a great shaft completely not suited to your swing.

Bailsworth
6th July 2009, 10:37 PM
well with my swing at present they would probably both suck.. more practice required.

BrisVegas
7th July 2009, 07:48 AM
I had the Raven irons made for me a couple of sets ago. They were very good quality clubs. I wasn't a good enough golfer to use the blades I had though.

Gary Calder sold Ravens I believe (a couple of years since I've seen him).

acem8
7th July 2009, 11:05 PM
Golf equipment in Oz can be pretty expensive. Nearly all equipment is made in China and then goes through the states to here where a distributer and then a retailer will put on some margin. Significant savings can be made by going the component route and importing from the likes of Golfsmith or Golfworks in the US but you have to know what you are doing. Shaft choice is important but the benefit is you get a proper aftermarket shaft - not 'manufactured for large OEM' or 'engineered by OEM'. You need to know your genuine swing speed for driver and 5 iron and do plenty of research to find the right fit. You will probably need to drop a flex when using an aftermarket shaft compared to the equivalent one put in an OEM club (they bow to peoples ego's). And be prepared to make some mistakes but they won't be as expensive as when you splash out $600 on a new driver and have to sell it for half that amount a few months later!

Forget clones, they are made in the foundrys that aren't high enough quality to manufacture for the big OEM's. Tolerance in clubheads is extremely important, even with quality clubheads the tolerances of weight/lie/loft aren't brilliant and this makes a big difference when trying to put together a set that is properly 'matched'.

I bought some iron heads from Golfworks and the weight to the nearest .1g (and I checked it) was printed on the wrapper of each head. The worst was +1.7g which is virtually a swingweight. The important thing is it proves they have some level of quality control and they are honest about it so you can add or reduce the weight accordingly. Do you think this is done on the production lines of TM/Callaway/Cobra etc?